Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
the chilli peppers are ...
Date: December 19, 2005 06:33

The Chili peppers are @#$%&............

"This is a conservative, wealthy group." go liisten to Neo con you douchbagg

"Let's go to the Rolling Stones mall and watch them play on the big screen."-wtf, e ver been to an arena or club

"No ones rockin out"- theve cleary never been to a stones show

"But the fact is, the Rolling Stones audience today is lawyers and doctors and CPAs and contractors and real estate development people."-wtf, i have seen more drunk bikers at stones shows than anything

"mick's my wife, and we can't get divorced"

"Alright keith, gimmie some of them women"

"And now, dressed as mick jagga........mick jagga"

AIM- ohnonotyouagainn

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2005-12-19 22:13 by ISleptWithLisaFischer.

Re: the chilli peppers are @#$%&
Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: December 19, 2005 07:07

In the thread that began this, um, conversation...

BornOnTheBayou Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> Here's Kiedis on being the opening act for the
> Rolling Stones:
>
> ".....But opening for the Stones is a crummy job
> anyway. I can't recommend it to anybody. You get
> the offer and you think, "Historically speaking,
> they're the second most important rock band in the
> history of music, after the Beatles. So we should
> have a brush with history."
>

The above is the first part of Kiedis's comment on the Stones. It's the first thought he has on the subject of the Rolling Stones. That is: "...they're the second most important rock band in the history of music..."

Again: The very first thing he wants to talk about is the Stones' exalted place in rock'n'roll history. He presents it as the basis for the whole Chili Peppers/Stones connection.

So he agrees with us, right? I mean, think what you will about the Beatles, it is crystal clear from the opening of Kiedis's remarks that he has as much respect and reverence for the Stones as anyone could really wish for. He "gets it," right?

And "chili peppers are @#$%&" (along with all the other defensive and petty nonsense in the other thread) is what a bunch of supposedly informed and articulate Stones fans can come up with.

A confession: I wish as much as anyone here that Anthony Kiedis (of all people) wasn't honing in on some uncomfortable truths. I'm not sure that calling him a @#$%& will improve the vibe at Stones shows.

Posted by: BornOnTheBayou ()
Date: December 19, 2005 07:29

>
> A confession: I wish as much as anyone here that
> Anthony Kiedis (of all people) wasn't honing in on
> some uncomfortable truths. I'm not sure that
> calling him a @#$%& will improve the vibe at
> Stones shows.

Lol... good point...

The vibe's pretty good at a Stones show CONSIDERING it's a "50-ish" audience these days...

Those 50-somethings don't get out to see RHCP shows... I'm the oldest guy I ever saw at an RHCP gig.

"It's just that demon life has got me in it's sway..."

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: December 19, 2005 07:42

Call me when your 50ish and let me know as to what music is playing on your FM dial. I can tell you this, it wont be the Chili Peppers. Their music will not stand the test of time.

"I'm just another moonlight mile on down the road".

Bayou- a 50ish crowd at a Stones show?. Not hardly, and I have attended every tour since 1975. I see a mixed bag of people from all ages.

Date: December 19, 2005 07:45

Midnight Toker Wrote:
> Call me when your 50ish and let me know as to what
> music is playing on your FM dial. I can tell you
> this, it wont be the Chili Peppers. Their music
> will not stand the test of time.

Lol, I'm already there, Midnite... we Sagittarius age pretty well if we control our excessessmiling smiley

Now, how do I redeem your guarantee ??

> Bayou- a 50ish crowd at a Stones show?. Not
> hardly, and I have attended every tour since 1975.
> I see a mixed bag of people from all ages.

Yes, but it's skewing higher and higher. No problem with that, just time marches on... you just can't compare the energy at an RHCP or Crue gig to a Stones gig anymore, the audience average age really shows.

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: December 19, 2005 07:52

when i mentioned that today was keith's birthday to two people (aged 24 and 30) the 24 year old asked me who keith richards was!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-12-19 07:52 by little queenie.

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: December 19, 2005 11:55

The comments seem more targeted at the audience than the band.

Re: the chilli peppers are ...
Posted by: tussler ()
Date: December 19, 2005 12:11

I like RHCP on cd, but I don`t understand why some people say that they are one of the greatest liveband in the world. They don`t play much more than an hour and the vocalist can`t really sing.
It ain`t much sence of what the say about Stones, but let them say whatever they want. When someone wright down rock-history, we all know what band who will occupy most of the pages...

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: December 19, 2005 13:01

Unbelievable!!!!
Now there is are a whole new thread about trashing the Chilli Peppers. I don't really like there music, although i was pleasently surprised with there Californiacation cd, but that is not the issue here. People who start bashing the Chilli Peppers because one guy made a few correct remarks about how difficult it is opening for the stones are just big baby's if you'd asked me. As Rev. Robert stated in his post, Kiedis first said how much he respected the stones. Having said that he just said that it is the hardest job to open for a band to wich there audience don't want an opening act. The only "negative" remarks were about the soundsystem. SO WHAT?!?!?! He isn't trashing them or insulting them! I find it rather amusing to read that the stones still have that arogants over them!

Conclusion: grow up and don't be so offended if someone complements the stones but has one remark about the soundsystem.

ps. And why are people discussing the Chilli Peppers place in rock history as an awnser to his remarks? A bit childish if you'd ask me!

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: phd ()
Date: December 19, 2005 13:05

Wuudy,

I agree. We pay too much attention to these remarks/interviews.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 19, 2005 13:23

The GR Wrote:
> The comments seem more targeted at the audience
> than the band.

you'd think that was quite obvious, wouldnt you? Not to some, it seems!

Date: December 19, 2005 14:00

OK. Gazza.
I will be more carefull next time.
The topic is not important.

Date: December 19, 2005 14:27

Wasnt you I was referring to, tussler, actually winking smiley

Date: December 19, 2005 14:28

ISleptWithLisaFischer Wrote:
> >
>
> "This is a conservative, wealthy group." go
> liisten to Neo con you douchbagg
>
>

the 'group' hes referring to in this case are the fans, not the band...

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: December 19, 2005 14:38

Was wrong with us fans growing old (I'm 46yo) The truth is that we still go out and have fun and Rock & Roll...

Where are all those Sex Pistols fans now??? Where are all those Nirvana fans??? We Stone's fans have become lawyers and send our kids to college and all that sh**t but we still go out and get goose bumps at the sound of Gimme Shelter or still discuss if the new albul's good or not...Hey, we are still there.

RHCP are ok...But zillions of miles away from the Stones.

Posted by: mttlacroix ()
Date: December 19, 2005 15:14

tussler Wrote:
> I like RHCP on cd, but I don`t understand why some
> people say that they are one of the greatest
> liveband in the world. They don`t play much more
> than an hour and the vocalist can`t really sing.
> It ain`t much sence of what the say about Stones,
> but let them say whatever they want. When someone
> wright down rock-history, we all know what band
> who will occupy most of the pages...

i might correct you on that. i saw them last tour, and the show was a good two hours, not counting the encore. the chili peppers have been around for 20 years, gone through three guitarists, their guitarist has had a smack habit, they have had an Altamont like performance (Woodstock '99), and play just great music. Not to say that the stones aren't great, they're in a league of their own. The chili peppers will be around for a long time.

Midnight Toker Wrote:
>Call me when your 50ish and let me know as to what music is playing on your FM >dial. I can tell you this, it wont be the Chili Peppers. Their music will not >stand the test of time.

they've been around for twenty years, have had many videos on TV, many hits on the radio, great tours, great cd's, and gimmicks (playing with socks over their nuts). they're not just going to disappear.

Date: December 19, 2005 15:34

mttlacroix

ok, that`s a change, but a good one.

Posted by: barcelona ()
Date: December 19, 2005 17:09

RHCP are great but my son could play guitar much better than the overrated Frusciante.

Posted by: tat2you ()
Date: December 19, 2005 17:26

i like the peps??? maybe his jealous or bent that mick did not ask him to open?? like pearl jam....wfc???

Posted by: gimme_shelter ()
Date: December 19, 2005 17:37

> >
>
> "This is a conservative, wealthy group." go
> liisten to Neo con you douchbagg
>
>

How old are you?

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: December 19, 2005 20:11

leteyer Wrote:
>
>
> Where are all those Sex Pistols fans now???
> >
>

Still listening to "Never Mind The Bollocks" and posting here on this site........same height...same weight....a little wiser and a lot less hair smiling smiley

Date: December 19, 2005 21:33

barcelona Wrote:
> RHCP are great but my son could play guitar much
> better than the overrated Frusciante.

Tat... IMO Frusciante is the right guy to play guitar against the Flea-Smith rhythm section. You don't need an overpowering guitarist with the RHCP when you have a bass player like Flea... he plays the bass faster than alot of lead guitarists. You need a more "subtle" guy who can lay riffs on top of the core rhythm of RHCP...

Frusciante is a perfect fit and the band has never played better... not with Slovak or Navarro, IMO.

Date: December 19, 2005 22:12

gimme_shelter Wrote:
> ISleptWithLisaFischer Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > >
> >
> > "This is a conservative, wealthy group." go
> > liisten to Neo con you douchbagg
> >
> >
>
> How old are you?
>

23..... but dont let that trow you off, ive seen the stones 47 times, on 3 contentents in 12 countries

"mick's my wife, and we can't get divorced"

"Alright keith, gimmie some of them women"

"And now, dressed as mick jagga........mick jagga"

AIM- ohnonotyouagainn

Posted by: Halup ()
Date: December 19, 2005 22:15

It's so ridiculous how people on this board react and get all upset a musican makes a comment that they interpret (or misinterpret) about the Stones, then they themselves attack the Stones for the high prices, setlists, etc. Can only people who declare their allegiance to the Stones on a fan site and insist repeatedly that the Stones are #1 be the only people that can utter anything negative about the Stones and/or their audience?

Here's some facts for the record to help clarify this whole issue regarding of what Anthony Kiedis wrote in his book and how he arrived at his conclusions.

The Red Hot Chili Peppers opened for the Stones at the 2 shows at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, CA in October 1994. These stadium shows, like all shows in the U.S., were seated on the floor and they were the shows for the Los Angeles market. Here in Los Angeles, the best seats are frequently filled with celebrities and the very wealthy who are there more to attend pre and post parties and be seen, than to really enjoy the music like true fans would.

At the second of these 2 shows, during the Stones set, the cameras showed very wealthy attorney Robert Shapiro, who was currently defending O.J. Simpson in his murder trial, up on the screens. Obviously Shapiro is exactly the concert attendee that Kiedis was being negative about in his comments. Maybe Shapiro is a huge Stones fan, maybe not.

These 2 shows were the only show the RHCP opened for the Stones and possibly the only times that Kiedis has ever seen the band. His comments were largely pretty accurate in describing what a standard Stones audience attending a show in the glamour market of Los Angeles is like. As shows in Europe are always general admission on the floor, the audience that is right in front of the band and the opening acts is only made up a hard core Stones fans, which is very different than in the U.S.

As far as the RHCP as a band, I was not much of a fan until their last 2 albums, which were fantastic. I live in Los Angeles and have met the 4 current members of the band on many occasions around town. I've met Kiedis on 3 occasions, one of which was the book signing for this very book that caused this whole uproar. That was in October 2004, well over 1 year ago and just now this got posted on this site! On every occasion he has been cool with me, as have the other 3 guys. Chad Smith is the nicest and easiest to talk with and I got into a 15-20 minute conversation with him all about music and different bands we liked. This hardly sounds like the description that the original poster used to describe these 4 guys.

Date: December 19, 2005 22:20

Halup Wrote:
Here in
> Los Angeles, the best seats are frequently filled
> with celebrities and the very wealthy who are
> there more to attend pre and post parties and be
> seen, than to really enjoy the music like true
> fans would.
>
> At the second of these 2 shows, during the Stones
> set, the cameras showed very wealthy attorney
> Robert Shapiro, who was currently defending O.J.
> Simpson in his murder trial, up on the screens.
> Obviously Shapiro is exactly the concert attendee
> that Kiedis was being negative about in his
> comments.

They call him "Rockin' Robert" Shapiro smiling smiley

F. Lee Bailey was in the row just behind Shapiro and Rockin' Robert and Funky Lee were leadin' the 10,000 CPA's and lawyers in attendance as they bounced their butts to "Satisfaction"...

... a wilder time is hard to imagine than these Stones gigs !!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2005-12-19 22:23 by BornOnTheBayou.

Posted by: sidonia ()
Date: December 19, 2005 22:24

Yeah "ISleptWithLisaFischer" you're absolutely right! Anybody that offends the Stones sucks. The Stones are the only band in the world. Don't say anything bad about them, not even if it's the truth. Screw the rest. etc etc etc.

Grow up fool!

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: December 19, 2005 22:36

> > >
> >
> > How old are you?
> >
>
> 23..... but dont let that trow you off, ive seen
> the stones 47 times, on 3 contentents in 12 countries.
>
Exsqiuz me!, IMHO platinum fans must have seen the stones on at least 5 incontenents!
Othewise they are not a real fan.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: December 20, 2005 01:25

I am a fan of the Chilli Peppers and their music and I know they are big Stones fans. I think what Kiedis said certainly has some truth to it.

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: December 20, 2005 01:33

the chili peppers are a hot topic & are good with enchiladas

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-12-20 01:56 by Leonard Keringer.

Posted by: czr ()
Date: December 20, 2005 01:48

To all non-belivers wait till summner 2006,

Two words......................Staidium Arcadium!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1682
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home