Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Who Is Disappointed With Rarities
Posted by: NickB ()
Date: December 17, 2005 21:58

I only bought this as I want to add it to my collection but I am upset that this is a money making exercise for them and not giving fans what they really want.

It's nicely packaged but they could have included some really cool stuff that fans really would have appreciated. I'm happy with TTLN's and LIR but come on guys this was a missed opportunity.

I would have been happy if they hadn't lazily spliced Dice

NickB

Re: Who Is Disappointed With Rarities
Posted by: BornOnTheBayou ()
Date: December 17, 2005 22:17

Didn't really care for it... they could have used the occasion to produce another CD of the quality of Stripped... but they didn't do it. Sounds kind of like a mish-mash grab-bag of tracks to me.

"It's just that demon life has got me in it's sway..."

Posted by: NastyHabits ()
Date: December 17, 2005 22:28

Missed opportunity, for sure. Horrible compilation job. There's nothing "rare" at all about "Wild Horses", "Live With Me", "Manish Boy", "If I Was a Dancer"... At the same time they left out some really hard-to-find songs like "So Young", "I Think I'm Going Mad", "Jump on Top of Me", "The Storm", "Cook Cook Blues", "I'm Gonna Drive", and loads of single-only alternate mixes.

And the artwork is as lousy as can be. Instead of just using a real picture of the four current Stones they preferred to erase Bill Wyman - and, worse of all, leaving a visible part of his trousers to the left of Jagger's microphone.

How can a professional band release something like this is beyond me.

Date: December 17, 2005 22:31

I bet Rarities 2 is in the works for all the missed material discussed here.

Posted by: rknuth ()
Date: December 17, 2005 22:36

Which rarities? Did they release some?

Posted by: BornOnTheBayou ()
Date: December 17, 2005 22:38

I'm not that impressed with that Bob Dylan set from Starbucks either.... nowhere near to the caliber of the Bootleg Series.

"It's just that demon life has got me in it's sway..."

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: December 17, 2005 22:40

what a scam! what's rare??? like they don't have unreleased material. this is bullshit.

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: December 17, 2005 22:58

...a wasted opportunity if ever there was one.

Posted by: gut ()
Date: December 17, 2005 23:05

I think the stats on the beating that Starbucks took for trying to promote this turkey and ABB is going to make them very gun-shy in the future about selling cds.....probably never the Stones ever again....

#......Go ahead....Bite the Big Apple....Don't mind the Maggots.....Uh Huh...#

Posted by: gut ()
Date: December 17, 2005 23:10

===I bet Rarities 2 is in the works for all the missed material discussed here====

Lets hope so, Canada Rich, but given the extremely poor sales of this album, the Stones economic machine might rule against it....even though we all know an album of true rarities would outsell this loser by far.

#......Go ahead....Bite the Big Apple....Don't mind the Maggots.....Uh Huh...#

Posted by: JK ()
Date: December 17, 2005 23:39

Yes and no. I got 2 out of three I wanted. (Let It Rock, Through The Lonely Nights and I Think I´m going Mad)

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: December 17, 2005 23:50

I knew what I was doing. I went to finally get "Lonely Nights" on real CD. But other than that: it is a ripoff. Almsot mindboggling the extent too: the front pic w/o Wyman and the incomprehensible mistakes in the Liner Notes.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 17, 2005 23:52

embarrassing. seems to be the adjective that most suits the band in '05. Cheers!

Posted by: gmanp ()
Date: December 18, 2005 00:07

Sorry y'all are disappointed, I like it. Some things on there I'd never heard.

Posted by: Imagination ()
Date: December 18, 2005 00:19

Not "rare" enough material. Sorry I wasted my $$$$$$$$$.
Imagination.

"Pass it on" (Keith talking about the music)

Posted by: milliondollarsad ()
Date: December 18, 2005 00:36

Overall it's not particularly interesting. But it was completely worth the money just to get Let It Rock. I'd never heard it and it is one of their greatest performances. I only listen to that and Lonely Nights but that's enough for me.

Posted by: Stones89 ()
Date: December 18, 2005 01:08

I don't have it yet but I do plan on getting it just to add to my Stones collection. Maybe I should ask for this for Christmas. I got Live Licks a couple Christmases ago and was thankful that I didn't have to shell out $$$$$ for it! lol

Posted by: rumple21 ()
Date: December 18, 2005 01:50

It's a disappointment for not including 'I Think I'm Going Mad' and I could have done without 'Mannish Boy' from 'Love You Live' (one of my worst-of-Stones choices) otherwise music-wise I think it works pretty well.
If the flawed bumff in the booklet is anything to go by then it may be quite a personal selection by the Stones themselves. Tracks they think deserve a little more promotion to the public - that's the only reason I can think of for the inclusion of some main-stream stuff such as the Stripped 'Wild Horses' and the No Security 'Live With Me' (both great performances).
Lets hope it's the catalyst for a vol II or more.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 18, 2005 04:04

Very disappointing release, because it could have been a genuinely very good project

I dont share this anger/disappointment that some have because it didnt include unreleased songs - the whole concept of the release was that it was hard to find official releases, not a collection of outtakes. Thats a collectio for an entirely different project.

However, about a third of the songs are already available on currently available live albums and compilations and therefore cannot be described as "rarities".

"rarities" to me means non-album b-sides, songs only available on soundtracks and various other odds and ends.

I dont know any Stones fan who really thinks that remixes of Stones singles are worthy of an album release - and whilst I was glad to see the 12" version of "Miss You" appear on a CD, chopping one minute from it entirely defeats the point of the entire project

Another clueless release

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: December 18, 2005 05:27

This CD makes a nice coaster for my cocktails.

Posted by: Aucoin ()
Date: December 18, 2005 12:15

A waste of money. Crap!

Posted by: BOBM ()
Date: December 18, 2005 12:21

It's a scam and I feel stupid for having bought it. They could have easily released sixteen cuts that no one had ever heard, particularly if you include live material. For example, why used the same version of Thru and Thru as they did on the Four Flicks DVD and the same version of Live With Me as they did on the No Security CD?

Posted by: phd ()
Date: December 18, 2005 12:36

Rarities deserve a buy for the great version of Tumblin'Dice, played at an evenmore raucous rhythm than on EOMS.

Posted by: jackflash27 ()
Date: December 18, 2005 12:48

I'm one of the few people who actually likes this compilation. I'm a great fan, but not as hard core as most of you on this board, and i think that is the reason why i like it. I own only a handful of boots, but all of the official album matiarial, but no singles. I have dance pt2 on cd, and yes I have live with me as a live recording, but there are enough 'new' songs on it for me. For example; miss you (great 12'' version, I'd never heard before), through the lonely nights, mixed emotions, fancyman blues, let it rock etc etc. Most of you hard core fans own these tracks already and in that case I can understand why you think it's a rip off. But for me as a fan -but not die hard-, it's great and a good addition to my collection.

Michel

Posted by: Esky ()
Date: December 18, 2005 12:52

LOGIE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...a wasted opportunity if ever there was one.

agreed. The Stones have a habit of doing this....

Posted by: kees ()
Date: December 18, 2005 13:01

Live Licks was a blunder and so is this one.
I really wonder who was in charge of releasing this piece of shit.
Wonder if they will ever release something interesting from the vaults like Dylan does.

Posted by: BOBM ()
Date: December 18, 2005 13:07

The vesion of Tumbling Dice is a recycle too. It is on the Wild Horses CD single from the Stripped era.

Posted by: HighwireC ()
Date: December 18, 2005 13:09

Ok, what are rarities?

Official rarities must have been released (on vinyl, tapes, DVD or CD), nowerdays hard to find or rare in the setlists or never heard by a big crowd. To release such stuff is a little marketing to open eyes and ears for the big Stones cataloge and to catch new fans. Such rarities-releases will never satisfy hardcore fans and collectors.

But EMI somedays will do Rarities II, too.

EMI will never release unfinished or unreleased songs someone know from boots, because EMI don't own them!

Certenly EMI will re-release the CBS-"Rewind"-CD. There is only a little hope to see a "Time Waits For No One"-CD (a german LP released in the 70s).

IORR, but we like it ... ;-)

Posted by: phd ()
Date: December 18, 2005 14:27

BOBM wrote :

"The vesion of Tumbling Dice is a recycle too. It is on the Wild Horses CD single from the Stripped era."

OK missed the single. So, nothing in Rarities.

Posted by: johang ()
Date: December 18, 2005 20:24

An embarrasement and I never buy it.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1607
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home