Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Incredible: Red Hot Chili Peppers Reveal why Stones concerts have lost some groove.... " Nobody is Rocking Out"
Date: December 16, 2005 16:21

<Bu the Peppers are not only a dynamite band, they are also a great liveact>

I agree, except for Kiedis who just can't sing.

Re: Incredible: Red Hot Chili Peppers Reveal why Stones concerts have lost some groove.... " Nobody is Rocking Out"
Posted by: Riffbuk ()
Date: December 16, 2005 16:25

Even if I like the RHCP , that quote comes from a guy that had to sell an autographed guitar from Keith Richards to score some H.....Its on his book!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-12-16 16:26 by Riffbuk.

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: December 16, 2005 16:26

I pretty much agree with everything he said.

Posted by: Mack Jigger ()
Date: December 16, 2005 16:31

I Agree too.
And give the guy a break. He's only giving his personal opinion and he's been there. Don't know anybody else who opened up for the Stones on this forum!

Posted by: #6 ()
Date: December 16, 2005 16:32

Wow, that's hilarious - he pretty much nailed it. I think they're absolutely unlistenable but I do have a somewhat better opinion of them now.

Posted by: veronus ()
Date: December 16, 2005 16:38

i was in Pasadena in ,94 and they where the opening act for the stones, and they really rock/funk the house, and they are very good musicans ass well exept for kieldis himself, he is a bad singer. but i enjoyed the show very much.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: December 16, 2005 16:41

yeah Kiedis gets on my nerves too. After a whole album he gets repetitive.. he has that same phrasing over and over. Can't describe it in a post but it is always the same; that weird sing song. Now his new thing is his ballads about Heroin. If he had to sell a Keith-autographed guitar to score H it actually only adds to his street cred IMO LOL.
For some reason my favorite peppers album is the only one with Navarro. To this day the band refuses to play songs from that album because they dislike it so much. Before it came out the big Q was "How will Navarro cope with the Peppers sound"? Then when it came out it was funny: it sounds like a Jane's album with Anthony singing.

Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: December 16, 2005 16:41

Preface: I Love the Stones, I go wild when I see them live, and I'm not much of a Chilli Peppers fan.

But he has a point about the crowds. Of course not everyone, but there is a large element at shows (at least here in the States) some of whom remind me of snobby retail workers - too cool to be excited and dance.

In Milwaukee I asked Blondie if the band prefers it when crowds go wild or if they are indifferent to it. He said "If you're indifferent, you're dead. There's your answer. Of course they love it. It turns them on. They get excited. Go wild, man."

As someone noted on here once, the only person allowed to sit at a Stones show should be Charlie!

Date: December 16, 2005 16:46

and replace ron wood for john frusciante, he is really good

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: December 16, 2005 16:46

THE RHCP's are an OK band in concert. Saw them open for the boys in 1994 and for Pearl Jam. Both PJ and The Stones smoked them. Period.

The Peppers a great band? Are you smooking crack? Yes you are. Moving on.

Many of us still rock at a Stones show, however, we may rock less because they play the same old songs over and over and over. Maybe we are gettig bored? Shock me, show me.

Posted by: five_strings_G ()
Date: December 16, 2005 16:48

it's not the stones but the U.S. crowds that suck smiling smiley
it's that crappy thing having seats on the pitch - ridiculous

Date: December 16, 2005 16:56

yes we may rock less, becouse of the setlist. iam still very dissapointed about that. CHANGE HALF OF tHAT LIST, and replace wood.he is losing it the touch for many yaers. It looks like he wants to make easy money and we have to pay

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: December 16, 2005 17:04

saw the Chili Peppers open for the Stones at the Rose Bowl in '94.......they put the crowd (and me) to sleep.......they were jumpin' all over the stage and we're still boring as hell.........but, it doesn't surprise me how they were treated by the Stones people.....it's like the rock'n'roll "class system" which includes snobbery

Date: December 16, 2005 17:11

I was on the same show, and did you here ronnies solo on heartbreaker? That was embarresing.Have seen more then 50 stones shows, but this one was a lowpoint. i flew over from holland to see them.Was on the wrong day i think

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: December 16, 2005 17:12

No, Namph,cause the peppers are old and dead and their fans to.Even baby s get wild!!!!

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: December 16, 2005 18:21

Gazza Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> burned out? their last couple of albums have each
> sold about 10-12 million copies
>
> they're actually at their commercial peak

(You probably already know what my reply will be grinning smiley)
.....And Britney sold how many??? Commercial peak doesn't mean good music. They sure sound burned out on the recent records IMO. "Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magik" was cool, but "Californication"??? Please.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: December 16, 2005 18:43

Much as I dislike the Chillies, their comments seem to be spot on.

With ticket prices as high as they are, it's no wonder that Stones gigs attract such a disproportionate number of old fogies and corporate lard arses, the vast majority of whom tend to offer little or nothing back to a show in terms of atmosphere.

Posted by: gut ()
Date: December 16, 2005 18:55

======The ticket prices and merchandise costs are astronomical. It's more like "Let's go to the Rolling Stones mall and watch them play on the big screen."======

Kiedas is an idiot when he insults conservative people, but he's dead on right about these ridiculous prices.....you have to be a wealthy CPA or lawyer to be able to afford to go to a Stones concert these days.

#......Go ahead....Bite the Big Apple....Don't mind the Maggots.....Uh Huh...#

Posted by: #6 ()
Date: December 16, 2005 18:57

Right on Logie!

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: December 16, 2005 19:21

If you can't rock out to Jumpin' Jack Flash, Satisfaction, SFTD, IORR, Start Me Up etc then you are one of the lame ass people who just needs to stay home. And on the Voodoo Lounge tour (when the "change" was quite apparent), other than a few hits the setlist was almost totally different than the previous tour.

And yep, his comments totally hit the mark - the Stones don't draw rock n roll audiences anymore. The Stones aren't even a real rock n roll band anymore, I prefer Keith's description of "virtual corporation."

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: December 16, 2005 20:15

This dude is spoiled. If it's that awful, then why did the bastard take the job? What a way to say thanks.

Posted by: RedLight ()
Date: December 16, 2005 20:25

I think he's being honest, and giving his own perspective. He's probably bitter about the indifference the Stones crowd displays towards the opening acts, but in my experience this year, the indifference is only coming from the expensive seats which don't fill until around 9 p.m.

I don't really understand this indifference, and when I went to concerts in my youth, everyone was there for the opening act. I've seen this year's shows in Columbus, Charlotte and Memphis... the opening acts were Beck, Joss Stone, and Los Lonely Boys, and all of them were great. Los Lonely Boys got plenty of lights and full use of the PA system, as did Beck. Joss Stones seemed a bit too quiet. Los Lonely Boys are obviously similar to ZZ Top, but they put on a great show... too bad the bar flys missed it.

What was weird is that when the opening acts came on, the upper deck and most of the mid-priced tickets were full, and the floor seats were almost empty, so after the intro and the songs, the applause sounded like it was coming from a distance (which it was, of course).

I think the people who skip the opening acts are just shallow, jaded, or older people stuck in their ways. I've liked the Rolling Stones all my life, but they aren't the be-all and end-all of music. There is a sea of great musicians out there, and it's foolish to dismiss them just because you haven't heard them before.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: December 16, 2005 20:41

I used to always see the openers. Now I miss them a lot only because concert tickets are so overpriced that I have to wait for the price to come down. I have a personal policy of only paying what I want to for concerts. But the first several years I went to concerts the place was almost always packed when the opener came on. Sometimes the opener would blow away the headliner and even the die hard fans of the headliner would recognize it and it would become almost legendary (Van Halen opening for Sabbath in 78, Metallica opening for Ozzy in '86 and on the Monsters Of Rock in '88, KISS blowing away multitudes of acts in '74-'75, AC/DC opening for Aerosmith, Nugent and others). Now its pretty lame, even if the opener is either a current big seller or even a living legend and drawing power in their own right.

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: December 16, 2005 20:41

"Well you're just a dumb f*ck on this subject...

1) Never been to an RHCP gig

2) Wouldn't know "Coffee Shop", "Taste the Pain", "Parallel Universe" or probably even "Californication" even if the song was playin' in your headphones"

HAHAHA classic stuff mate

RHCP's are to funk what UB40 are to reggae

it may surprise u to also know i've seen them in their heyday whilst u were still wanking yourself silly over Warrant albums. and they were crap!

i've felt more funk from Jethro Tull

Posted by: mttlacroix ()
Date: December 16, 2005 21:52

I saw an RCHP sow on their last tour in the ACC in Toronto, and it was excellent: no props, loud but clear, crowd was rocking, pure rock n roll.

not to say the stones dont deliver that, but its nice to see a "younger" band deliver that.

the stones are in a league of their own.

Posted by: stonethobo ()
Date: December 16, 2005 21:55

I saw RCHP three times (on TV, lol). The singer always sang way out of tune (watch Woodstock 99, Under The Bridge is just horrible) and the guitarist tried to be a Beach Boy or something - sang high pitchted background vocals, also miles out of tune. But their groove was quite good.

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: December 16, 2005 22:04

"pure rock n roll"

the RHCP's ... are you sure mttlacroix ?

Posted by: tat2you ()
Date: December 16, 2005 22:05

i like the pepps......scar tissue......sounds as though he is just a bit envious.....

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: December 16, 2005 22:05

Way back in 82,J Geilsband was more then welcome!!!

Posted by: BornOnTheBayou ()
Date: December 16, 2005 22:06

thrak Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> RHCP show is 75 minutes ALWAYS so Anthony should
> be embarrassed. RHCp is not as they used to be.
> last 2 albbums even didn't touch it after single.
> by the way , Stones is firs band in history )))

Wha???

They always play 19 or 20 songs.... check setlist.com

The Last 2 albums were:

1) Californication... one of the greatest rock albums ever. Around the World, Parallel Universe, Scar Tissue, Easily, Velvet Glove, Savior, Road Trippin', and Otherside

2) By the Way... a bit uneven but still has live concert monster hits: This is the Place, Don't Forget Me, Zephyr Song, Can't Stop, Throw Away Your Television, On Mercury, Minor Thing, Venice Queen, Warm Tape, Midnight ...

The last 2 albums have in fact "cemented" their songbook as one of the greatest in rock history.

"It's just that demon life has got me in it's sway..."

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2114
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home