Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Micks guitar playing
Posted by: mttlacroix ()
Date: December 12, 2005 19:44

Can he pulled off any solos, is he any good?

When did he learn?

Thought it would be an interesting subject considering all of the controversy surrounding Mick T, Woodie, and Keith.

Re: Micks guitar playing
Posted by: T&A ()
Date: December 12, 2005 19:54

mttlacroix Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Can he pulled off any solos, is he any good?
>
>

No. And.....er, no.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: December 12, 2005 19:59

He's a good rhythm player - cf "Sway", much of Some Girls, most of ABB, & many other tracks (Fingerprint File, Crazy Mama, Heaven, etc)

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: December 12, 2005 20:02

mick was playing a little in 1975..you will hear him on crazy moma, black n blue.
he plays rhythm guitar..keith said not too long ago that micks getting good...
at least keith doesn't turn off micks amp anymore..
also listen to bang....jagger does a great job with the slide guitar on back of my hand.......he's come a long way baby!!!!

Posted by: cosmoprim ()
Date: December 12, 2005 20:12

I think had to learn to play at least some rudimentary guitar to continue writing in the 70's once he and Count Ziggenpuss started, uh, "keeping different hours".

He may be decent now, but he was (naturally) quite amateurish in the beginning.
Beyond that, it just doesn't look right. I want Jagger dancing ludicrously, not playing guitar.

That being said, if he were playing guitar live in the late 70's we would never have had to see him riding the giant inflatable dong.

Posted by: mttlacroix ()
Date: December 12, 2005 20:12

but wouldnt that interfere with keith and ron's weaving?

Date: December 12, 2005 20:16

Possibly.
It would've been worth it if it interfered with the giant inflatable dong riding.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: December 12, 2005 20:19

You think Sway on SF (the first album w/ MJ credited on guitar) or his work on Moonlight Mile is amateurish? He's got a sound different from KR, RW, or MT, his rhythm was chunky & effective. Clearly he is not a guitarist per-se, but he is a musician who uses guitar to write, & his contributions on various keyboards & guitar are effective - & on SG really was pivotal in opening up the band's sound (compare w/ the KR songs, the ones w/out MJ's guitar - Beast, BTMMR - which are closer to the earlier '70s Stones)

Date: December 12, 2005 20:41

It is difficult to tell exactly what he is doing beyond strumming on MM or Sway. Is that supposed to be Mick playing that monster riff? I was under the impression that Sway was almost all Keith (lyric and all).

As far as Some Girls, what Mick did was add almost a punk quality to the sound due to his "limitations".

I am in no way discounting Mick's contributions on guitar, I'm just saying I want to see MJ dancing and prancing (and some mincing would be nice), not strumming.

Date: December 12, 2005 20:47

keith doen't play guitar at all on sway...rhythm guitar is jagger. but mostly taylor... keith helped out on vocals. sway is a mick taylor song..wow he made it great with his mean solos..

Date: December 12, 2005 20:50

hot stuff Wrote:
> keith doen't play guitar at all on sway...rhythm
> guitar is jagger. but mostly taylor... keith
> helped out on vocals. sway is a mick taylor
> song..wow he made it great with his mean solos..

Wow. So, Taylor is playing that opening riff, or Jagger?

Date: December 12, 2005 20:58

taylor is lead...and i think he opens the song....i'm sure of it...jagger follows taylor..i believe this song was a gift from the heavens..and no way could it be replayed like it was on the album...

Posted by: cc ()
Date: December 12, 2005 21:14

No, there are only 2 guitars on the track. jagger plays the rhythm guitar, opening riff and all.

See johnr's post.

cc

Date: December 12, 2005 21:23

i think thats what i said...taylor play lead and jagger plays rhythm..
in most cases taylor plays lead and keith played rhythm...jagger could never solo like taylor....for that matter either could keith!

Date: December 12, 2005 21:27

hot stuff Wrote:
> taylor is lead...and i think he opens the
> song....i'm sure of it...jagger follows taylor..i
> believe this song was a gift from the heavens..and
> no way could it be replayed like it was on the
> album...

if you've heard the Olson/Taylor live versions from 1990 you know it was possible not only to replay it but to improve on it. I think MT may have had a little more to do with Sway than some folks wanna admit.

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: December 12, 2005 21:29

So all the rhythm guitar work(so basically everything but the fills and solo's) is Mick Jagger?

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: December 12, 2005 21:53

Mick's guitr playing has improved very much in the last years. He's become a reasonable guitar player. He played a lot on his solo records as well as the latest Stones albums. I wouldn't go so far to call him a "guitarist" but he's good at the instrument though.

Date: December 12, 2005 22:33

Reptile Wrote:
> So all the rhythm guitar work(so basically
> everything but the fills and solo's) is Mick
> Jagger?

That's what I hear. If he's not playing the main rhythm guitar, I don't hear any guitar he could be playing on that track. Also, if you listen to his playing on "Crazy Mama" (also the opening riff), "Stop Breaking Down" (also the opening riff, I think), "When the Whip Comes Down" (also the opening riff), and so on, you'll hear a similar sound. More gain/distortion/crunch than the other stones generally play with, and nice, loose rock feel.

cc

Posted by: Muddyw ()
Date: December 13, 2005 00:00

Mick is a great rhythm/side guitar player I think!
He plays it more than you'd imagine sometimes.

Posted by: Debra ()
Date: December 13, 2005 00:39

I think Jagger is more than adequate and I totally disagree with the person who would rather he put the guitar down and run about! Mick looks totally confident and very sexy holding that guitar and plus he adds a whole lot to the fullness of their sound. BACK OF MY HAND is the best example and damn, doesn't he do justice to that slide?? Sure does!! Mick got very proficient during work on Wandering Spirit and Goddess because as pointed out, he writes on the guitar so he hears the melody and chords as he writes. I guess becaue he's always been known as the frontman with the moves, it's hard for some to accept that his role in the band has expanded considerably. Mick is the one member of the band that continues to evolve! I'll drink to that!

Date: December 13, 2005 00:44

Debra - on general grounds I agree with you - kudos to MJ to continue to evolve as a musician. But, his slide stuff on BOMH is kids-play. In the live versions, when RW takes over - he takes MJ to school on playing the slide.

Date: December 13, 2005 00:54

That's true, it's a pretty simple riff, though that's not a negative. I am a strong proponent of mick's guitar playing, but I would definitely agree that he seems to tank it onstage. Might get nervous, with keith's beady eyes on his back the whole time.

cc

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: December 13, 2005 01:14

He's just about OK on guitar. No complaints, but it's not his obvious forte. I don't think he can play without looking at the strings/fingers. Is that a lack of confidence or a style? After all, Mick Taylor does the same - but I think Mick's case is more the former and Mick T's is definitely all the latter.

Date: December 13, 2005 02:19

plus i think jagger is too hyper on stage to play his guitar...again, keith is the one who said jagger is pretty good on guitar....is he as good as taylor..no...but then again taylor can't sing or write music like jagger.

Posted by: milliondollarsad ()
Date: December 13, 2005 03:36

Jagger once had a great quote about rock critics: something like "they all think they should have been rock stars but I've never met one who can even play guitar as well as I can."

Anyone who comes up with the riff to Brown Sugar can play a little, you know. If you watch him play acoustic guitar on the 81 tour, he's obviously at the least a very competent guitarist. And he wrote so many great songs on guitar, so I think we can say he's a guitarist. Having said that, I think ABB is definitely the weaker for MJ playing too much and KR no longer producing the quality of work he did for so many years.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 13, 2005 03:54

Keith comment 2002....Rock Utopia

ROCKMAN

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: December 13, 2005 04:51

bfore when whip comes down from out on bail boot , New Jersey 6-14-78 ,Jagger's quote " Keith says i could play this if i play it quietly, so i will.

Date: December 13, 2005 05:25

keith -- very quotable, but he's really become a blowhard in the past few years.

cc

Posted by: hannahhoney ()
Date: December 13, 2005 05:45

Quite a few years ago when i was hanging out with the stones in montauk ny at aw's place mick was playing guitar in a room and in walked Kieth and shouted "stop I confess.....

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: December 13, 2005 05:59

Mick's first played live in 1975 on Fingerprint Files. Sure he is adequete as a rhythm player, after all, he has had good instructors over the years.

As far a MJ writing "Brown Sugar", he wrote the lyrics, not the opening riffs or any of the music.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1332
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home