Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Dancing With Mr D
Posted by: James Lynn ()
Date: December 6, 2005 07:09

Thoughts on this? Good Album opener? Overated?

A Miss but had potential What do you think?

The MEz Don't really care for it too much. Don't dislike it just OK so so.

When was this last played? Suprised I hear on radio occassionally

THE MEZ needs your feedback, rating, thoughts. I say 5.75 /10 or C Average Man

Re: Dancing With Mr D
Posted by: wandering spirit ()
Date: December 6, 2005 11:52

i actually like it! it dosnĀ“t rank among their absolute top-songs, but makes part of their good ones! 7/10 i say!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 6, 2005 12:39

Hasnt been played since 1973

A relatively uninspiring album opener but it was excellent in concert

Posted by: Esky ()
Date: December 6, 2005 14:23

It's an average song, and an average Album opener.
However, it's a mystery as to why it hasn't been played since the Euro '73 Tour !! Afterall, you'd think the band rated it back in 1973 for it to be the first song on GHS.

Posted by: euro'73 ()
Date: December 6, 2005 15:19

Ofcourse it did excellent during the European tour '73. It had their best guitar player on lead. Mick Taylor. Sorry to say but it wouldn't sound these days, nobody except Mick Taylor himself can play this kind of solos.

Posted by: llaushin ()
Date: December 6, 2005 15:25

can somebody post the live version!

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: December 6, 2005 15:31

love the lyrics

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: December 6, 2005 15:42

X

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-24 22:18 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: December 6, 2005 16:39

they missed the mark on this track..like silver train both songs could have been great if jagger let jimmy miller re-record it..the sound is way too flat...

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: December 6, 2005 17:44

Agree 100% with hot stuff; they just missed it by a narrow margin. The average guitar riff is there. Nothing world shaking but a straight-up riff to crank a rocker out. Lyrics and title and hook are there. The beat, the solo, the slide...but the recordings are flat, uninspired and a bit lame, tame.
Mr D should have been in your face, dripping with Cajun Hot Sauce; That Keith riff could've been slinking round your crotch. Much like "Fingerprint File" did later.
Silver Train needed the Exile treatment. The basic track need to be redone. There was absolutely NO atmosphere. It has the tinkling piano, the slide, the harp...the whole "train" bit..

Date: December 6, 2005 18:16

sad..because train had the making of a great song...if it was done like star star
or brown sugar...just open it up and let it rock... almost like how it sounded live..i loved that track but only if? wow could have been a real war horse..

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: December 6, 2005 18:20

i think Johnny Winter showed the Stones how to do this song (Silver Train, that is)....

Date: December 6, 2005 18:22

right on t&a.....i forgot about that....how true.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: December 6, 2005 18:33

It really starts to gain momentum around the "standing on a corner, in new york, city" part. I like the song and was surprised at how good it is after hearing such bad things about GHS in general, which I've found to be mostly untrue -- I like that album a lot.

Do you guys really think it's the production that turns people off from this song? I wish the early reviewers had such a mature, analytic perspective -- they made it sound as if the song itself was just crap, didn't seem to consider whether it was the recording.

cc

Posted by: euro'73 ()
Date: December 6, 2005 18:41

Carla Olson treathed us also with a very nice live version of Silver Train.
She had Mick Taylor on lead guitar. It appeared on the same album as Sway. They also did Rocks Off that night which ,unfortunately didn't made it to the record.

Date: December 6, 2005 18:42

i think its a great album..but it had the making of being one of the stones all time best.. and in my mind the production of this album was not very good..
jimmy miller said all the time that he wanted a few of the tracks redone..but jagger was too busy..in my mind it could have been a lot better than exile if it was recorded more like iorr....or better yet if chris kimsey did it...like some girls...

Posted by: Smokey ()
Date: December 6, 2005 19:08

euro'73 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ofcourse it did excellent during the European tour
> '73. It had their best guitar player on lead. Mick
> Taylor. Sorry to say but it wouldn't sound these
> days, nobody except Mick Taylor himself can play
> this kind of solos.

Overall, I think the song works well. For me though, the studio riff is taken too slow. Richards obviously liked the groove and got off on that accented fourth note and how the fifth note plays off it, but the tempo makes the song plod when it should slither--even with Charlie pushing it along. The real problem with the riff? It reminds me too much of the riff from Seals & Crofts' Summer Breeze from the year before. Also, the studio solo, while fun to listen to, is a little too "All Right Now"-ish, but live Taylor did it great. I do wish Taylor would have played the riff more when they did it live. He does wonderful things to the Pretty Woman riff live, and it would have been great to hear him play off Richards' riff more.

Posted by: jigsawpuzzle ()
Date: December 6, 2005 19:13

Good thread, all good points. Would love to hear Silver Train on this tour more than any other song they're playing every night. I'm thinking it could be like a blistering version of All Down the Line.

For me, Dancing with Mr. D. has gotten better with age, but I agree with you guys, they missed something there. Were they trying to capitalize on the whole Sympathy for the Devil thing again?

Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: December 6, 2005 19:31

Great song botched by bad lyrics.

You can tell the music is a Keith Richards creation by the steady guitar riff. The cartoony Halloween lyrics ("Down in the graveyard where we have our tryst/The air smells sweet, the air smells sick") ruin what could have been a great song.

I think the same is true of "Silvertrain." It's a very subtle, well-put-together blues song, but the lyrics sink it down.

Jagger was not writing good lyrics during the "Goat's Head Soup" recordings. Smoking' too much weed, I bet.

Date: December 6, 2005 19:32

Mr. D = Summer Breeze, eh? Wow. Now, that's a stretch.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: December 6, 2005 19:41

"The air smell sweet, the air smell thick", I never knew what it actually meant, untill I smelled pot. Its sweet and thick.

Date: December 6, 2005 19:55

T&A Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mr. D = Summer Breeze, eh? Wow. Now, that's a
> stretch.

As I was counting the notes to the riff, some "LA 70s" riff came in to my head and as I followed it through I came to the Summer Breeze lyrics. Since the melody is completely different, I wondered how DWMD brought me to Summer Breeze. Listen to the synth riff in that song (obviously, sealsandcrofts.com), not the melody of the lyrics. It's similar though not the same. It came out just one year earlier than DWMD, and Richards might have just funked it up a bit. So, no, MrD does not equal Summer Breeze and, no, the riffs are not the same, but I did not make those claims.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: December 6, 2005 19:58

don,t you like taylor's guitar under the riff put on the headsets

Date: December 6, 2005 19:59

i understand smokey. i know the SB riff well - i was DJ in the 70's and played that one to death on the AOR station I worked at. but, i hear nothing similar other than both have elongated riffs....

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: December 6, 2005 20:24

Mr. D seems to drag and might have been better if it were a little faster. Mediocre to me.

Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: December 6, 2005 20:25

"Dancing with Mr. D" I love it. Can't get enough of it actually.

Date: December 6, 2005 20:27

I'll try this once:

-both riffs have two parts, five notes in the first part, five notes in the second part
-the first part climbs and descends, the second part climbs (and for SB then descends)

Obviously, they have a different "feel", they are in different though related keys, there are double stops in one and single notes in the other, one is twee the other funky, etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-12-07 04:07 by Smokey.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: December 6, 2005 20:33

Smokey, have you been in the herb stash again? LOL

Posted by: milliondollarsad ()
Date: December 6, 2005 23:43

I agree that it's tempo is plodding, as is the case with Silver Train. I know Mick J felt that Exile was overly fast, this album, although brilliant overall, is maybe an overreaction. Also KR obviously was not in a rocking frame of mind. It's a lack of energy more than anything.

Date: December 6, 2005 23:59

true..but silver train could and should have rocked...needed much more energy.
another song i loved that was killed by being poorly recorded was, luxury, on iorr....like mr d. & silver train, luxury had the makings of a great all-time stones track.....

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1156
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home