Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8889909192939495969798Next
Current Page: 97 of 98
Re: Hackney Diamonds - Album Talk
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 26, 2024 02:44

24FPS
A fantastic album. I've listened to three or four times as much as I listened to Voodoo/Bridge/Bang. In fact I put off listening to it again, so I won't burn it out. The best Stones new album release in over forty years.

my precise thoughts.

New picture disc FNAC Exclusive
Posted by: JMARCOU ()
Date: May 24, 2024 19:47

What do you think ?
[www.fnac.com]

Re: New picture disc FNAC Exclusive
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: May 24, 2024 20:15

Have a look here - [iorr.org] .

Posted by: Massimo68 ()
Date: May 30, 2024 18:35

Posted by: Stonesfan2146 ()
Date: May 30, 2024 18:43

georgelicks
mailexile67
Is HD right now, definitely out of all the charts?What about total selling worldwide?

HD re-entered the UK Top 200 during 2 weeks a couple of weeks ago, 17 weeks on the Top 200 so far but it's out again now.

Total 1.312,000 so far as of 21/04 according to Mediatraffic, average of 7,000 copies each week now.
[www.mediatraffic.de]

So what do you think georgelicks, is that a good number of total sales for an album released in these times?
Of course, we can't compare it with artists like Billie Eilish or Taylor Swift.

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: June 22, 2024 21:16

When this album first came out I was pleasantly surprised to find it better than I expected.. Then I went through a period where I thought I would eventually shelve it and pull it out every once in a while, except I've never stopped playing it.

I love it and think it's great work for who they are now and where they're at as a band.. If I was to compare it to their Let It Bleed and earlier stuff (which is my favorite era) it wouldn't fit, but neither did Goats Head Soup, Black and Blue, or even Some Girls at the time if I was to remain stuck in those earlier moments (and I love all three of those albums.)

I believe my initial hesitancy to hold it up as a great album was my wanting to be back in the era of the songs that first got me loving the Stones. And as I mentioned I did the same with GHS, B&B, and SG, until I began to listen to them for what they were.

Hackney Diamonds (for me) is a fantastic album.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2024-06-22 21:18 by snoopy2.

Posted by: 2120Joe ()
Date: June 23, 2024 07:19

Sydney Sweeney (Angry video girl) purchases $13.5 million Florida Keys mansion.

Story by Christina Dugan Ramirez, Larry Fink

Full article with bikini pics if you like that sort of thing:
[www.msn.com]

Sydney Sweeney is the latest celebrity to move to the Florida Keys, following an ongoing trend among Hollywood stars.

The "Euphoria" actress recently purchased a 7,720-square-foot oceanfront home that features six bedrooms, six bathrooms, an infinity pool with a swim-up bar, a private boat launch, a 520-bottle wine room, an elevator, a home gym, a game room and more.

Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: June 23, 2024 07:52

If this is any testament to the strength of the album it’s as follows…

I purchased Hackney the day it came out (of course) & it’s now in my truck.
My daughter insists we listen to it to every day as I drive her to her college classes AND on the return trip home in the evening!

She’s 20. Not a rock & roller at all, but absolutely loves the album.

I’ve felt for some time now there’s been a big disconnect between The Stones &
the special resonance with fans for this particular album.

Perhaps for them it’s just ‘business as usual’, as they’ve continued this cycle of recording an album, releasing the album, touring the album & then moving on, but it would really be great to hear ‘Get Close’, ‘Dreamy Skies’ or any of the others not debuted yet rotated in the set list.

It’s not Sticky Fingers, it’s not Tattoo You, but it’s them, today, in their 80’s, still doing what they love, when all this could have been over a long time ago.

I’m hoping for a Hackney Diamonds II before they close shop.

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 23, 2024 11:06

VoodooLounge13
This will be my last post on this thread, as apparently some on here feel the need to dictate what can and cannot be stated about our beloved band's latest release. I've been reading on here for MONTHS now how so and so revisits the album and still loves, lists the songs that they still find amazing, new ones discovered. I keep trying every month or so to get into this release and hope that something 'clicks,' but nothing does, and I was merely expressing my latest thoughts on trying to get into HD. I'm sorry if I got anyone's panties in a tizzy because my view isn't the majority; that I'm not spewing praise about like snowflakes. I was doing the same as all the album lovers, but on the opposite end of the spectrum. You folks do know the spectrum is two sided, don't you?! I have no damn campaign or agenda. I was debating maybe even trying to meet up with the Boston folks next month, but honestly, this whole situation has left such a sh taste in my mouth that I have no desire to actually meet any of the people on here behind the screen names now. So mission accomplished. Enjoy HD.

It's a good thing VOODOO LOUNGE didn't come out in the era of iorr online in regard to 2007 'til now - VoodooLounge13 would've left probably in 1997.

I have given VOODOO LOUNGE a good bit of spins because of VoodooLounge13. My take on the album has decreased immensly since 1995. I loved it when it came out but by the time STRIPPED was released VOODOO was already on its way out of - it had entered the deep water of DIRTY WORK.

I can't recall if I ever derided VL13 for loving VD - and if I did, I was wrong for that. Afterall, I love UNDERCOVER and some love DIRTY WORK.

There's a bit of tongue in cheek with criticism of Stones albums. Apparently it goes beyond cheek or... some people can't handle the criticism as a fan.

I get it.

In regard to HACKNEY DIAMONDS, VOODOO is way below.

But that's, what, subjective, right? What I think... STICKY FINGERS could've been a double instead of EXILE, EXILE should've been shorter, they didn't put their best songs on SOME GIRLS...

Whatever. It doesn't matter because it's done. They decide.

VoodooLounge13, if you see this, I'm sorry if I sent you off the rails, it wasn't personal, just...subjective.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: June 23, 2024 17:32

VoodooLounge13, as you know from a while back, I agree with you. I have only posted my reaction that one time. I am so sorry you are left with such a bitter taste, but can't say I blame you.

Looking forward to reading you in other topics.

~"Love is Strong"~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-06-23 18:11 by angee.

Date: June 23, 2024 20:24

I think it's a good thing the boys have another one "in the can", as I doubt they'd go through the effort again to write and record new material for an album, otherwise.

They are past their prime as sellers of new content, and even though we got 40+ versions of HD it barely made a sales dent (sure, a brief trip to the top, and mixed success worldwide), compared to their previous successes, or those artists now selling in their prime.

This was an excellent album, I think one we'll look back on to cherish, but the next one will make even less of a media splash because there is less to sell...it won't have been 18 years since the last album. I only think this is a problem from the perspective of motivating to create new music.

They probably think that not enough people "care" and that is probably and sadly the truth.

But for those of us who do care, getting a pair of new material albums from them this late in the game is an absolute gift.

Date: June 25, 2024 00:27

treaclefingers
I think it's a good thing the boys have another one "in the can", as I doubt they'd go through the effort again to write and record new material for an album, otherwise.

They are past their prime as sellers of new content, and even though we got 40+ versions of HD it barely made a sales dent (sure, a brief trip to the top, and mixed success worldwide), compared to their previous successes, or those artists now selling in their prime.

This was an excellent album, I think one we'll look back on to cherish, but the next one will make even less of a media splash because there is less to sell...it won't have been 18 years since the last album. I only think this is a problem from the perspective of motivating to create new music.

They probably think that not enough people "care" and that is probably and sadly the truth.

But for those of us who do care, getting a pair of new material albums from them this late in the game is an absolute gift.

Absolutely.

I care. Because I'm a fan. And I'm extremely glad that HACKNEY DIAMONDS is a fantastic album.

But the dinosaur modes are still pushing hard with more available to make that quick 5 cents instead of holding out for 10 cents - because the 10 cents ain't gonna happen.

Deluxe, special edition, omnibus, live album included...

Deluxes are nice but I like great packaging. Pearl Jam's newest LP's packaging is excellent. The Black Crowes sucks - can't even read the lyrics. HACKNEY DIAMONDS was average, nothing special - and horrible art to boot.

The strange thing is how record labels hang on to old models of selling copies - so we get 23456 versions of something. Sales being the worst ever in the history of hard copies (in total regard - I know there are some artists that are selling a good amount of hard copies but overall it's nil) because of streaming, which is how a majority of people listen to music - sorry, consume - it reveals how boring the people, as a whole, have gotten in regard to how music is consumed: while I like having the auto-rip with Amazon Music I prefer the hard copy in my hands.

Gen X, which I am, is the generation that does both, including CDs and vinyl, but any generation below is not into hard copies (CDs, certainly) unless perhaps they stumble across a vinyl LP because "it's cool" at the moment.

Like the kids that wear a Nirvana t-shirt: they're clueless, it just looks cool (as I've been told). I bet some of those kids could surprise you.

I have bought very few - I think two - vinyl LPs in the past ten years because of the cost. CD LPs are way cheaper. LPs on YouTube and Spotify - free. Paid subscription with YouTube Music, Amazon Music, Apple Music and Spotify - commercial free.

Regardless of free or paid streaming, artists see .002% or whatever it is, in general, while labels and publishing make a majority under the platform - Apple, for example, keeps 48% (the 52% goes to labels, $.01 per stream).

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 25, 2024 00:31

I have bought very few - I think two - vinyl LPs in the past ten years because of the cost. CD LPs are way cheaper.

And CD's opened up a whole new world of bonus tracks ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: June 25, 2024 19:09

GasLightStreet

Sales being the worst ever in the history of hard copies (in total regard - I know there are some artists that are selling a good amount of hard copies but overall it's nil) because of streaming, which is how a majority of people listen to music - sorry, consume - it reveals how boring the people, as a whole, have gotten in regard to how music is consumed: while I like having the auto-rip with Amazon Music I prefer the hard copy in my hands.

Gen X, which I am, is the generation that does both, including CDs and vinyl, but any generation below is not into hard copies (CDs, certainly) unless perhaps they stumble across a vinyl LP because "it's cool" at the moment.

I am like you, still love my hard copies, but I can't blame the young generations.

The large majority of those who still buy hard copies is made by people that already own the hardware.

In our days, if you wanted to play a record you needed a turntable, a CD or cassette player connected to a proper receive, and loudspeakers etc. So we all had a more or less decent stereo system in our homes.

Younger generations don't. Why should they invest in a costly system. All they need is a wi fi speaker and bingo.

On top of that, buying music remains an hobby that requires lots of cash. True that CDs are cheaper than Lps. But also true that both formats are still very expensive.

C

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: June 25, 2024 22:13

millennials here and i collect restore and play 8-track tapes

i even recorded my hackney diamonds vinyl to a blank 8-track tape and made my own sleeve for it with the artwork just like i did for blue and lonesome and crosseyed heart

i also collect and play 78's and would like to start collecting wax cylinders too if i can find a working player

don't use any streaming services video or audio

i prefer physical media every format i can find video, audio, video games, books, comics etc.

if i can't hold it in my hands it's not real

still looking for a working laser disc player...

Date: June 25, 2024 22:26

liddas
GasLightStreet

Sales being the worst ever in the history of hard copies (in total regard - I know there are some artists that are selling a good amount of hard copies but overall it's nil) because of streaming, which is how a majority of people listen to music - sorry, consume - it reveals how boring the people, as a whole, have gotten in regard to how music is consumed: while I like having the auto-rip with Amazon Music I prefer the hard copy in my hands.

I am like you, still love my hard copies, but I can't blame the young generations.

The large majority of those who still buy hard copies is made by people that already own the hardware.

In our days, if you wanted to play a record you needed a turntable, a CD or cassette player connected to a proper receive, and loudspeakers etc. So we all had a more or less decent stereo system in our homes.

Younger generations don't. Why should they invest in a costly system. All they need is a wi fi speaker and bingo.

On top of that, buying music remains an hobby that requires lots of cash. True that CDs are cheaper than Lps. But also true that both formats are still very expensive.

C

there are ways around that though

i buy used mostly and a lot comes from places that wouldn't bother checking the value of a cd or vinyl album and sell them all at the same low price

i'm also not to concerned about aesthetic condition either nor am i very picky about the music i listen to

old is old and old is good

just found some great condition mills brothers albums from the 50's for about a buck apiece love em'

but there's no way i could afford what many of you do buying the extremely overpriced brand new vinyl and cds i make exceptions

but usually i just get cheap stuff at thrift stores and record stores and i have a pretty sizable collection

Date: June 25, 2024 22:36

i still listen to hd and my opinion hasn't changed

i still thinks it's not really much better or worst then any album since 1989 (which i all like too)

not better then undercover but it is better then dirty work

i like it

it's a good album thru and thru

my favorites are still mess it up, get close, www, live by the sword and rolling stones blues

and come back voodoolounge13 i miss reading your comments and i'm sorry you felt so disrespected

people can be rough around here but i and many others value your input and opinions

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 25, 2024 22:52

Yeah, come back voodoolounge13.

- Doxa

Date: June 26, 2024 08:21

liddas
GasLightStreet

C

Bluray players, which play CDs, are cheaper than CD players (last I looked). A lot of people have a soundbar for their TV. Well, there you go.

But they're older, usually. I don't.

I haven't turned my TV on since... holy crap, I don't know. I got GET BACK on Bluray so... October? With a dinky computer sound system (two speakers, woofer). You know, quite loud enough.

Working on changing that.

Haven't had a stereo since I was in my early 20s. I'm considering getting some kind of something. I have boom boxes for CDs, that do bluetooth, as well as a bluetooth speaker.

One glaring thing I noticed upon moving: how much room my CDs took up... and how much room my vinyl took up (and books/magazines): no wonder streaming is the way to go - it's not messy and space consuming!

That's part of the deal. OH LOOK AT MY COLLECTION! and it takes up an entire wall. Because...

It's all available online/apps.

Strictly in that regard.

Me? If a shelf is empty, it's not doing it's job. If a wall is blank, it's only part of holding the house up.

BORING.

Just ordered a turntable. I have a box of speakers someone gave me about... 10 years ago that never got opened. They're powered AFAIK. So maybe I don't need a "stereo system".

When I get it all figured out, you better believe I'll be blasting HACKNEY DIAMONDS through the speakers - regardless of its format.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: June 27, 2024 10:11

Hope you ordered a turntable with a built in phono stage . If not you'll need one ...and maybe some form of line level preamp if your powered speakers don't have a practical to use volume control.

Good luck with getting some fun noise out of it all. smiling smiley

Date: June 28, 2024 05:39

GasLightStreet
liddas
GasLightStreet

C

Bluray players, which play CDs, are cheaper than CD players (last I looked). A lot of people have a soundbar for their TV. Well, there you go.

But they're older, usually. I don't.

I haven't turned my TV on since... holy crap, I don't know. I got GET BACK on Bluray so... October? With a dinky computer sound system (two speakers, woofer). You know, quite loud enough.

Working on changing that.

Haven't had a stereo since I was in my early 20s. I'm considering getting some kind of something. I have boom boxes for CDs, that do bluetooth, as well as a bluetooth speaker.

One glaring thing I noticed upon moving: how much room my CDs took up... and how much room my vinyl took up (and books/magazines): no wonder streaming is the way to go - it's not messy and space consuming!

That's part of the deal. OH LOOK AT MY COLLECTION! and it takes up an entire wall. Because...

It's all available online/apps.

Strictly in that regard.

Me? If a shelf is empty, it's not doing it's job. If a wall is blank, it's only part of holding the house up.

BORING.

Just ordered a turntable. I have a box of speakers someone gave me about... 10 years ago that never got opened. They're powered AFAIK. So maybe I don't need a "stereo system".

When I get it all figured out, you better believe I'll be blasting HACKNEY DIAMONDS through the speakers - regardless of its format.

Glad for you your digging into it. There's no doubt about the convenience of streaming, and I use it when I'm busy, but when I'm going to sit down and enjoy music, it's the vinyl and the CDs that come out. Love it.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: June 28, 2024 05:53

Doxa
Yeah, come back voodoolounge13.

- Doxa

Agreed. You are missed VL13!

Date: June 28, 2024 09:11

treaclefingers
Glad for you your digging into it. There's no doubt about the convenience of streaming, and I use it when I'm busy, but when I'm going to sit down and enjoy music, it's the vinyl and the CDs that come out. Love it.

I recently ordered (ABKCO remasters) OUT OF OUR HEADS UK, AFTERMATH UK and BETWEEN THE BUTTONS UK and...

BTB is the absolute weirdest Stones album ever.

I had it a long time ago (US) but never really listened to it.

Yesterday... I kept thinking, Whut?

Bizarre album.

It has to be their WEIRDEST album ever.

Debating on getting the rest. I already had BB and LIB. And now these three.

I just can't see getting TSMR again.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 28, 2024 10:04

GasLightStreet
treaclefingers

I recently ordered (ABKCO remasters) OUT OF OUR HEADS UK, AFTERMATH UK and BETWEEN THE BUTTONS UK and...

Bizarre album.

In regard to BETWEEN THE BUTTONS - probably their most British-sounding album and, interestingly, HACKNEY DIAMONDS has a bit of that special British-flavor as well - it is a strange mix of pretty fresh, open-minded crazy experimentalism and a bit forced following the trends - like 'look, this is the direction pop music is taking at the moment, and we need to stay relevant'. That is to say, some of the stuff do not emerge from them very naturally, while some do rather well. Andrew's crazy production ices the cake. Those were the times.

But a fascinating album. They sound so young and hungry there. Willing to take risks and all that.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2024-06-28 10:08 by Doxa.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 28, 2024 10:12

Buttons UK ..... yeah ....
Please Go Home ----- Bo Diddley on drugs ..... wild

ROCKMAN

Date: June 28, 2024 10:30

Doxa

...In regard to BETWEEN THE BUTTONS - probably their most British-sounding album ..

- Doxa

That's always occurred to me too ...on one or two songs it's like they're channelling their inner Kinks grinning smiley

[Though it's always been easy to spot a few English folk and Baroque influences in their gentler works right across the years]

And yes...there is a certain "Britishness" infusing many of the lyrics and vocal delivery on HD .

That's not new though .
Punk maybe gave them to option to play boisterous RNR with a British slant . Think, Where The Boys All Go for example.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-06-28 10:42 by Spud.

Date: June 28, 2024 19:10

Doxa
GasLightStreet
treaclefingers

Bizarre album.

In regard to BETWEEN THE BUTTONS - probably their most British-sounding album and, interestingly, HACKNEY DIAMONDS has a bit of that special British-flavor as well - it is a strange mix of pretty fresh, open-minded crazy experimentalism and a bit forced following the trends - like 'look, this is the direction pop music is taking at the moment, and we need to stay relevant'. That is to say, some of the stuff do not emerge from them very naturally, while some do rather well. Andrew's crazy production ices the cake. Those were the times.

But a fascinating album. They sound so young and hungry there. Willing to take risks and all that.

- Doxa

I think TSMR is an acquired taste. About half the album is brilliant, which makes it at least accessible. From there a few repeat listens and you can appreciate it, even if just from a historical perspective, what they achieved on that album, as a "garage band" as McCartney so ineloquently put it...just really unbelievable. And it stands the test of time...She's A Rainbow, 2000 Man & 2000 Light Years from Home beat the best Beatles psychedelia - though it's admittedly close.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: June 28, 2024 20:51

I also prefer Moonlight Mile to any of the Beatles psychedelic efforts.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: June 30, 2024 08:30

Lot of good points above on Buttons & Majesties. A taste I definitely acquired over the years with Majesties - absolutely love it. Even it's far out, acid trippin' raga excursions like Gomper and Sing this All Together (see what happens). Mudically rich, evocative and ethereal - with the song craft almost meeting that. Some genuine magic like 2,000 Light Years, Citadel, Rainbow, 2,000 Man
The Kinks-esque On With the Show a perfect ending.

Had We Love You been on it, and the one or two lesser tracks not - its an album touching a kind of greatness without fully attaining it. It has such an exotic charm all it's own.

Subjectively, I love it, and it has definitely stood the test of time, but it falls just short of essential.

Hackney for me has a similar majesty in that so many of its tracks, 9 months on, I am still enthralled with. Their Satanic Majesties, in 2023, still making music that can be compelling.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-06-30 08:34 by IrelandCalling4.

Date: July 1, 2024 10:36

liddas

C

I don't think you're wrong...but there are HiFi brands marketing turntables now who probably haven't offered them for forty years.

[My own deck is about 30 years old now... but it'll probably see me out grinning smiley]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-07-01 10:41 by Spud.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8889909192939495969798Next
Current Page: 97 of 98

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2934
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home