Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Wish list for outtakes album
Posted by: Mr. Jimi ()
Date: June 5, 2023 22:02

Ok, this is just fantasy, and if someone is confused by the subject line, I can always change it.

What if Mick decided not to put out the old songs with new vocals, etc on the re-issues of Exile, Goats Head, Some girls, and Tatoo You? I know Exile reissue with the "new" songs came out before 2012.

With this in mind, what if Mick decided to do a new album in the same vein as Tatoo You (1981). Sift through old demos and put new vocals on them and bam a great new album! The release date could have coincided with the 50th anniversary and 2012 shows or prior to the 2013 US shows. Mick didn't have to be sneaky about it and could have just said we went through old stuff that we had written and revisited it or some other spin . . .

Vinyl Release:

Side 1:

1. Living in the Heart of Love
2. Plunder My Soul
3. All the Rage
4. I'm not Signifying

Side 2:

1. Criss Cross
2. Dancing in the Light
3. Scarlet
4. Pass the Wine
5. Troubles A'Comin

Single: Plunder My Soul with B side Travellin Man

I have the playlist on my phone and listening to it, it kinda flows but certainly needs tweaking. Any suggestions as to different songs or different track listings?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2023-06-07 20:34 by Mr. Jimi.

Re: Fantasy World- The New Stones Album released in 2012
Posted by: bakersfield ()
Date: June 5, 2023 22:39

Fun topic smiling smiley

I would use more of the Some Girls outtakes.

Side One
1. Claudine
2. It's a Lie
3. Do You Think I Really care?
4. Pass The Wine
5. You Win Again

Side two
1. Plundered My Soul
2. I Ain't Signifying
3. Fiji Jim
4. Drift Away
5. Fast Talking, Slow Walking.

It ain't Let it Bleed, but it's a good listen smiling smiley

Posted by: ribbelchips ()
Date: June 6, 2023 10:47

Nice 'what if' scenario. And would the songs be the same as on the Deluxe edition bonusdiscs (finished outtakes) or recorded in the studio as if it were completely new tracks?

9 tracks is a little on the low side. Let's make it 12 smiling smiley I'd like to replace 'Dancing in the Light' and 'Pass the Wine' with 'Do you Think I really care? and 'Come to the Ball' and add 'So Young' 'Following the River' and 'It's a Lie'.

So then it's like:

Side 1:

1 Living in the Heart of Love
2 Plundered my Soul
3 All the Rage
4 I'm Not Signifying
5. So Young
6. Do You think I really care?

Side 2:

7. Criss Cross
8. Come to the Ball
9. Scarlett
10.Troubles a Coming
11.It's a Lie
12.Following the River

Date: June 6, 2023 10:57

Side A

Claudine
So Young
We Had It All
Keep Up Blues
I Love You Too Much

Side B

Tallahassee Lassie
Do You Think I Really Care
No Spare Parts
Don't Be A Stranger
You Win Again

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: June 6, 2023 12:22

DandelionPowderman
Side A

Claudine
So Young
We Had It All
Keep Up Blues
I Love You Too Much

Side B

Tallahassee Lassie
No Spare Parts
Don't Be A Stranger
You Win Again

Now that, my friend, is an album.

Love it ! smiling bouncing smiley

But I've always loved the Some Girls out-takes".

[For me They don't come over as a collection of random left overs but make for a good album with its own vibe and identity ]

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: June 6, 2023 14:04

DandelionPowderman
Side A

Claudine
So Young
We Had It All
Keep Up Blues
I Love You Too Much

Side B

Tallahassee Lassie
No Spare Parts
Don't Be A Stranger
You Win Again

Yep - this gets my vote.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 6, 2023 14:25

In the absence of the "new" album, this fantasy topic helps to fill the massive void. There's so many variables, and to make it even more convoluted, perhaps we could include some of Keith and Mick's solo material. Lots of great tunes to choose from Keith's Crosseyed Heart, and then there's some of Micks random solo tunes in recent years...Gotta Getta Grip for example might have been more well received had it been surrounded by a dozen or so other tunes under the Stones name.

Date: June 7, 2023 05:13

Hairball
In the absence of the "new" album, this fantasy topic helps to fill the massive void. There's so many variables, and to make it even more convoluted, perhaps we could include some of Keith and Mick's solo material. Lots of great tunes to choose from Keith's Crosseyed Heart, and then there's some of Micks random solo tunes in recent years...Gotta Getta Grip for example might have been more well received had it been surrounded by a dozen or so other tunes under the Stones name.

Yes totally agree. We could have had 2 or 3 albums eith the solo material included.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-06-07 08:59 by Mr. Jimi.

Posted by: stonesman87 ()
Date: June 7, 2023 07:50

Could this become the first-ever Stones IORR-based album? I, for one, am interested in use of the Tattoo You concept, as mentioned by Mr. Jimi, for, what, only the second time ever?

I mean, something like "chosen by fans, for fans", and with endorsement by the group (who's in a position to message Mick, etc. about this?), it could become an official Stones web-based compilation album with IORR recognition.

Some basic rules with this:

1. IORR member consensus about the track list, perhaps done with a good old-fashioned vote with a closing date giving plenty of time for as many IORRers to cast their votes as possible.

2. Some separate bonus tracks, being Mick and Keef solo work, again decided by IORR member vote.

3. Naturally, no AI, etc. intervention in the process. Hopefully bv can see to that. This would really need to be based on true IORR member opinion and choice.

4. Cover artwork, limited only by members' imagination!

What does anybody think about this idea?

Re: Wish list for outtakes album
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 7, 2023 14:24

Hmm.. No matter how much I have personally loved the bonus tracks over the years, I think the Stones/UMG sort of screwed up the potentiality of these old out-takes by making them nothing but tools to sell the reissues a bit better. With that concept by being 'bonus tracks' the tunes were doomed. Since getting only a die-hard fan interest they were fated to be pretty marginal. Taking the quality many of them has, I think they would have deserved better. I think some of them surpass in quality anything they have done since the 80's.

If not totally TATTOO YOU type release, but at least a release of their own had been a better option to give these great tracks more spot light. Not being in the shadow of some classic stuff, but an entity of its own.

But of course this was just idealistic talk. I understand the rationale behind the decision by the Stones/UMG to maximise the profits to make out of this stuff (releasing them to promote reissues).

I try later to construct my 'best of' album of this stuff.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-06-07 14:27 by Doxa.

Posted by: kkhoranstoned ()
Date: June 7, 2023 16:19

gangster moll....linda lu....still in love....talk is cheap...memory motel from stripped session....she was hot longer version..just a few

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: June 7, 2023 16:27

DandelionPowderman
Side A

Claudine
So Young
We Had It All
Keep Up Blues
I Love You Too Much

Side B

Tallahassee Lassie
No Spare Parts
Don't Be A Stranger
You Win Again

That's a bit too easy, isn't it? For me, no SG/ER-era fantasy album would be complete without Fiji Jim, Shame Shame Shame, Everything's Turning To Gold and Think I'm Going Mad (yes, I know, the latter two were already released as b-sides but they are also largely forgotten because of this!). And for a standalone album Side B would be too country-heavy for my taste, also: Don't Be A Stranger - ehm, no.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-06-07 16:30 by retired_dog.

Date: June 7, 2023 16:35

retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
Side A

Claudine
So Young
We Had It All
Keep Up Blues
I Love You Too Much

Side B

Tallahassee Lassie
No Spare Parts
Don't Be A Stranger
You Win Again

That's a bit too easy, isn't it? For me, no SG/ER-era fantasy album would be complete without Fiji Jim, Shame Shame Shame, Everything's Turning To Gold and Think I'm Going Mad (yes, I know, the latter two were already released as b-sides but they are also largely forgotten because of this!). And for a standalone album Side B would be too country-heavy for my taste, also: Don't Be A Stranger - ehm, no.

Shame Shame Shame is indeed a contender. EITTG and TIGM weren't really to consider here, imo. I don't mind the country-heavy B-side, and I love the island-feel of Don't Be A Stranger. smiling smiley Would have been Tattoo You-esque B-side, with a little country flavour.

I also considered Fast Talking, Drift Away and Plundered My Soul, but decided on the consistency of an album-feel here. And four covers (Drift Away) would have been to much. I've never been very fond of Fiji Jim, but it has indeed grown on me lately.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-06-07 16:36 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: June 7, 2023 17:12

Side 1.
Living in the Heart of Love
Criss Cross

Side 2.
Keep It Cool
Eliza Upchink

Date: June 7, 2023 17:14

Doxa
Hmm.. No matter how much I have personally loved the bonus tracks over the years, I think the Stones/UMG sort of screwed up the potentiality of these old out-takes by making them nothing but tools to sell the reissues a bit better. With that concept by being 'bonus tracks' the tunes were doomed. Since getting only a die-hard fan interest they were fated to be pretty marginal. Taking the quality many of them has, I think they would have deserved better. I think some of them surpass in quality anything they have done since the 80's.

If not totally TATTOO YOU type release, but at least a release of their own had been a better option to give these great tracks more spot light. Not being in the shadow of some classic stuff, but an entity of its own.

But of course this was just idealistic talk. I understand the rationale behind the decision by the Stones/UMG to maximise the profits to make out of this stuff (releasing them to promote reissues).

- Doxa

Doxa, I agree it seems like these flew under the public's radar to a certain extent except for maybe the spotlighted Jimmy Page connection from GHS re-issue. Interested to see your "best of" of this material.

Posted by: Christiaan ()
Date: June 7, 2023 17:43

Out take album and all I see or almost all, are songs already released on several bonus disks going with the several re-releases. So those songs can’t benamed outtakes anymore.
For a wish list for an outtake album I would like to think on songs like:

@#$%& Blues ehh Shool Boys Blues, but we all know the real name smiling bouncing smiley
Travelin’ Man
Blood Red Wine

And there are lots of other songs. I will ad some later

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-06-07 19:33 by Christiaan.

Posted by: Rambler62 ()
Date: June 7, 2023 18:24

She's Doing Her Thing - ONLY R&R (Original)- Gangster's Moll - Shame, Shame, Shame (1975)...

Date: June 7, 2023 19:12

Christiaan
Out take album and all I see or almost all, are songs already released on several bonus disks going with the several re-releases. So those songs can’t benamen outtakes anymore.
For a wish list for an outtake album I would like to think on songs like:

@#$%& Blues ehh Shool Boys Blues, but we all know the real name smiling bouncing smiley
Travelin’ Man
Blood Red Wine

And there are lots of other songs. I will ad some later

Travelin' Man is one of my favorites!!! Yes, these are all out takes that have been officially released, but we are just fantasizing and pretending that Mick and company did not release these on the re-issued albums and actually re-recorded them for a new album. Just having some fun . . .

Date: June 7, 2023 19:36

What about

Jay Is Not Dead
(Jay is so wunderfull smoking smiley)

[youtu.be]

Date: June 7, 2023 19:58

Who is Jay? winking smiley

Seriously, if we were allowed to include unreleased tracks my list might have been different.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-06-08 00:38 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: June 7, 2023 19:59

Hillside Blues (I Don’t Know The Reason Why)

[youtu.be]

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: June 7, 2023 23:17

Travelin Man is the best outtake never released.And better than some of the released stuff like Come to the Ball.Strange they didn’t release it with the Exile Deluxe since it’s pretty much finished and all it needed was for Mick to finish the vocals

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: June 8, 2023 05:58

This was pretty tough to narrow down!

Pass the Wine
Claudine
No Spare Parts
All the Rage
It's a Lie

Criss Cross
I'm Not Signifying
Don't Be a Stranger
So Young
Fast Talking, Slow Walking

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: June 8, 2023 13:40

DandelionPowderman
retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
Side A

Claudine
So Young
We Had It All
Keep Up Blues
I Love You Too Much

Side B

Tallahassee Lassie
No Spare Parts
Don't Be A Stranger
You Win Again

Shame Shame Shame is indeed a contender. EITTG and TIGM weren't really to consider here, imo. I don't mind the country-heavy B-side, and I love the island-feel of Don't Be A Stranger. smiling smiley Would have been Tattoo You-esque B-side, with a little country flavour.

I also considered Fast Talking, Drift Away and Plundered My Soul, but decided on the consistency of an album-feel here. And four covers (Drift Away) would have been to much. I've never been very fond of Fiji Jim, but it has indeed grown on me lately.

Lithol and CC are must have's.
So this gets not my vote

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: June 8, 2023 13:57

Doxa

- Doxa

thumbs up 100% agreed.

Posted by: scotmw65 ()
Date: June 8, 2023 16:49

Side 1 Nobody's perfect
Plundered my soul
Do you think I really care
No spare parts
We had it all
Side 2 Fiji Jim
I tried to talk her into it
Dancing in the light
Giving it up
It's a lie
That is a great album I think.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: June 9, 2023 17:47

I'm going to pretend Mick called me up and asked me to produce a new Tattoo You with what's still in the vault (as far as I know),

Side A

1-And I Was a Country Boy
2-Who Am I
3-Hamburger To Go
4-Still A Fool
5-Blood Red Wine

Side B

1-Travelin' Man
2-Potted Shrimp
3-Hillside Blues (I hate to cut this down to fit the side)
4-Walk With Me Wendy
5-Exile Ballad

Bonus cuts: Trident Jam, Curtis Meets Smokey

I also toyed with Who Am I as a single w/ Trident Jam as a B-side and putting Curtis Meets Smokey on the album, but I needed more of an upbeat song.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-06-09 17:49 by TravelinMan.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 9, 2023 19:09

Well that Some Girls deluxe album, on it's own deserved a separate release. Probably their best most cohesive sounding album since Undercover.

With that said, the 3 new ones off the GHS, PMS and the entirety of Some Girls get my vote on a 'preferred' new album. Didn't like much off the Tattoo You second disc.

And obviously we're not including things like Doom and Gloom and Easy Sleazy otherwise those should have made it to a non-greatest hits album.

Date: June 10, 2023 06:26

TravelinMan
I'm going to pretend Mick called me up and asked me to produce a new Tattoo You with what's still in the vault (as far as I know),

Side A

1-And I Was a Country Boy
2-Who Am I
3-Hamburger To Go
4-Still A Fool
5-Blood Red Wine

Side B

1-Travelin' Man
2-Potted Shrimp
3-Hillside Blues (I hate to cut this down to fit the side)
4-Walk With Me Wendy
5-Exile Ballad

Bonus cuts: Trident Jam, Curtis Meets Smokey

I also toyed with Who Am I as a single w/ Trident Jam as a B-side and putting Curtis Meets Smokey on the album, but I needed more of an upbeat song.

How about sticking in Highway Child, pretty upbeat

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 10, 2023 06:52

I'm going to include one that I wished they'd finished for, well, that doesn't really matter:

1. Criss Cross
2. Plundered My Soul
3. Do You Think I Really Care?
4. It's A Lie
5. Fiji Jim

6. Pass The Wine
7. I Ain't Signifying
8. No Spare Parts
9. Misty Roads
10. We Had It All

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1653
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home