Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT : Vocal range.
Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: May 29, 2023 14:53

The person with the widest vocal range is Tim Storms with a surreal 10 octave range. He also has a record of hitting the lowest note.
Mick Jagger has a 3 octave range. Axl Rose is the rock singer with the widest range: 5 octaves.

Tim Storms :
[youtu.be]

Rockandroll,
Mops

Re: OT : Vocal range.
Date: May 29, 2023 14:58

Another one by Tim:
[youtu.be]

Rockandroll,
mops

Date: May 29, 2023 15:10

rollmops
The person with the widest vocal range is Tim Storms with a surreal 10 octave range. He also has a record of hitting the lowest note.
Mick Jagger has a 3 octave range. Axl Rose is the rock singer with the widest range: 5 octaves.

Tim Storms :
[youtu.be]

Rockandroll,
Mops

If someone can sing 5 octaves effectively, he or she is exceptional.

Posted by: sf37 ()
Date: May 29, 2023 15:35

Wow, Tim Storms is indeed pretty impressive.

At the high end of the scale, the late Minnie Ripperton comes to mind ("Loving You"), with perhaps Mariah Carey coming in a close second.

Date: May 29, 2023 15:44

sf37
Wow, Tim Storms is indeed pretty impressive.

At the high end of the scale, the late Minnie Ripperton comes to mind ("Loving You"), with perhaps Mariah Carey coming in a close second.
Yes it seems that Mariah is the female pop singer with the widest range(5). Christina is 4.5.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Date: May 29, 2023 15:51

Also - does anyone recall Brad Roberts of the Crash Test Dummies? They had a few hits in Canada back in the 80s, I believe. He always had an unusually low baritone voice for a lead singer of a rock band.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-05-29 15:52 by sf37.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: May 29, 2023 16:05

rollmops

Mick Jagger has a 3 octave range.

Rockandroll,
Mops

Mick 3 octave range?

Out of memory, one of the lowest must be in the verse of Ruby Tuesday and I'd say that the "Honky" in the HTW chorus is close to be his higher limit.

C

Date: May 29, 2023 16:13

Mick does Falsetto sometimes and he goes to high notes. Prince is 4.5 probably du to high pitch notes that he was able to screech in some of his songs.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 29, 2023 16:14

liddas
rollmops

Rockandroll,
Mops

Mick 3 octave range?

Out of memory, one of the lowest must be in the verse of Ruby Tuesday and I'd say that the "Honky" in the HTW chorus is close to be his higher limit.

C

where she came FROM...yeah, that was pretty low.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 29, 2023 16:16

liddas
rollmops

Rockandroll,
Mops

Mick 3 octave range?

C

I think "Emotional Rescue" (the song) is a pretty good showcase of those three octaves in use. Probably some highest and lowest individual notes could be also found there.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-05-29 16:18 by Doxa.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: May 29, 2023 16:25

well, this is one of the few times I won't mention Bob D…

Date: May 29, 2023 16:29

slewan
well, this is one of the few times I won't mention Bob D…

Bob is the 0ne-octave range Man!
Rockandroll,
Mops

Date: May 29, 2023 16:32

Doxa
liddas
rollmops

Rockandroll,
Mops

Mick 3 octave range?

C

I think "Emotional Rescue" (the song) is a pretty good showcase of those three octaves in use. Probably some highest and lowest individual notes could be also found there.

- Doxa

Sure? I can't remember really low notes in Fool to Cry, and I am not sure if falsetto qualifies as a proper "high" in measuring the vocal range.

Then again, if there is anybody in the world that should have the decency to abstain from discussing vocals that should be me ...

C

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: May 29, 2023 16:34

sf37
Also - does anyone recall Brad Roberts of the Crash Test Dummies? They had a few hits in Canada back in the 80s, I believe. He always had an unusually low baritone voice for a lead singer of a rock band.

Hadn’t thought of him in a while - here’s one and YES, this counts as a rock ‘n’ roll hit in Canada. Beautiful, really. winking smiley

[youtube.com]

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 29, 2023 17:35

Steve Perry and Brad Delph are/were impressive vocalists

Date: May 29, 2023 17:45

liddas
Doxa
liddas
rollmops

Rockandroll,
Mops

Mick 3 octave range?

C

- Doxa

Sure? I can't remember really low notes in Fool to Cry, and I am not sure if falsetto qualifies as a proper "high" in measuring the vocal range.

Then again, if there is anybody in the world that should have the decency to abstain from discussing vocals that should be me ...

C

From the google...

Falsetto is not generally counted by classical purists as a part of the vocal range of anyone except countertenors. There are exceptions, however, such as the baryton-Martin which uses falsetto (see baritone article).

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: May 29, 2023 17:57

Diamanda Galas has quite the voice and range, tho researching it is all over the place, from eight octaves to three.. More interesting are the things she does with her voice, even seemingly harmonizing with herself while singing

Date: May 29, 2023 18:07

Regarding The Range Planet website:
Mick Jagger:

Significant low notes C#2 in I can't get no satisfaction.
Sighificant high notes C#6 in Star Star.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Date: May 29, 2023 20:58

treaclefingers

From the google...

Falsetto is not generally counted by classical purists as a part of the vocal range of anyone except countertenors. There are exceptions, however, such as the baryton-Martin which uses falsetto (see baritone article).

Thank you!

C

Date: May 29, 2023 21:03

rollmops
Mick Jagger:

Rockandroll,
Mops

If the say so it must be right, but I don’t hear it! Then, as noted above, I shoul shut up and leave it to those who know better …

C

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 29, 2023 22:56

liddas
rollmops
Mick Jagger:

Rockandroll,
Mops

If the say so it must be right, but I don’t hear it! Then, as noted above, I shoul shut up and leave it to those who know better …

C

Ithink your right with Ruby Tuesday Liddas the lowest of them all

Date: May 30, 2023 06:06

NICOS
liddas
rollmops
Mick Jagger:

Rockandroll,
Mops

C

Ithink your right with Ruby Tuesday Liddas the lowest of them all

Jagger also hits some low notes in the early verses of "Love Is Strong".

Date: May 30, 2023 06:10

SomeTorontoGirl
sf37

Hadn’t thought of him in a while - here’s one and YES, this counts as a rock ‘n’ roll hit in Canada. Beautiful, really. winking smiley

[youtube.com]

Wasn't aware of this one - - rather interesting. I did enjoy several of their other tracks back in the day that charted. Thanks for the link.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-05-30 07:10 by sf37.

Date: May 30, 2023 09:25

liddas
treaclefingers

From the google...

Thank you!

C

My pleasure. I was also curious!

Date: May 30, 2023 09:37

liddas
rollmops

Rockandroll,
Mops

Mick 3 octave range?

C

"Down, down, down in the hole" (Down In The Hole)

"Down, down, down, down" (All The Way Down)

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: May 30, 2023 12:42

sf37
SomeTorontoGirl
sf37

[youtube.com]

Wasn't aware of this one - - rather interesting. I did enjoy several of their other tracks back in the day that charted. Thanks for the link.

No wonder you weren’t aware of it - neither was I! Wrong link…thought I’d attached Superman’s Song. Which is actually a lovely song. Trying again…

[youtube.com]

Date: May 31, 2023 05:29

SomeTorontoGirl
sf37
SomeTorontoGirl
sf37

[youtube.com]

No wonder you weren’t aware of it - neither was I! Wrong link…thought I’d attached Superman’s Song. Which is actually a lovely song. Trying again…

[youtube.com]

Now THAT one I do remember! One of their best, yet still vastly underated. This one, "Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm" and "Peter Pumpkinhead" are the three specific titles I recall that I quite enjoyed. Thanks again for the memories!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1509
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home