Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6
Re: RIP: Tina Turner
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 25, 2023 17:49

crholmstrom
wiredallnight
My first show of Tina was in Karlsruhe, Wildparkstadion (Germany) on May 24, 1990. Fortunately the whole show was broadcast live on the radio here. So I programmed my Hifi VCR at home to record it while I was at the concert. It worked fine and as I came home I had the show recorded. If you like it here it is in perfect soundboard quality: [we.tl]

thank you

Yes! Thanks, that was kind of you to share. I shall watch this weekend.

Posted by: mrjones ()
Date: May 25, 2023 18:05

RIP Tina. Was lucky to see you a few back in the day with the boys. The best!

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: May 25, 2023 18:12

Ike and Tina together again in heaven

Posted by: angee ()
Date: May 25, 2023 18:30

If so, most likely in different neighborhoods.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: May 25, 2023 18:36

Tina in Nutbush.

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: May 25, 2023 18:44

Greatest female rock artist and heroine ever.

Was blessed to see her twice, the last time at Rock over Germany at Lunenburg in 1993, GA, literally FOS (as it used to be then), with her performing just a few meters away. She was so energetic. Unforgetable memories.

Posted by: bernard90mike ()
Date: May 25, 2023 19:28

RIP Tina. One of the best concerts I remember back in 1990.

Posted by: ds1984 ()
Date: May 25, 2023 19:33

The strange thing is that she performed many times with Mick but guested only one time with the full band, in 1981.

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: May 25, 2023 20:14

Dan

If there's a heaven, Ike ain't there.

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: May 25, 2023 20:17

steffialicia
Dan

And Tina was a buddhist, so she will probably reincarnate and have a better life this time around

Date: May 25, 2023 20:39

steffialicia
Dan

You are probably right. Ike helped invent rock 'n' roll. The devil's music.

Posted by: Valeswood ()
Date: May 25, 2023 20:45

I was really saddened by the news. Tina really was the Queen of Rock n Roll but her voice could cope with many styles - rock, blues, soul, gospel - she had it all.
What an artist, singer and performer. One of a kind and there will never be another.

RIP Tina.

Posted by: BFR ()
Date: May 25, 2023 21:28

The Rolling Stones are mentioned a couple of times in The New York Times obituary for Tina

[www.nytimes.com]

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: May 25, 2023 22:16

Dan
steffialicia
Dan

Perhaps you are unaware that he beat the living crap out of Tina for 20 years and she fled the marriage with little more than the clothes on her back?

Posted by: parislocksmith ()
Date: May 25, 2023 23:18

Memo from Turner (and Letterman)

[www.youtube.com]

Date: May 25, 2023 23:28

SomeTorontoGirl
Dan
steffialicia
Dan

Perhaps you are unaware that he beat the living crap out of Tina for 20 years and she fled the marriage with little more than the clothes on her back?

That was just a movie.

Ike played guitar on Rocket 88 widely considered to be the first rock 'n' roll song ever so he had a far greater cultural impact.

No Ike Turner, no Rolling Stones.

Posted by: Rutger ()
Date: May 25, 2023 23:36

Tina was simply spectacular.

video: [youtu.be]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-05-25 23:38 by Rutger.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: May 26, 2023 00:17

Simply the Bravest: Tina Turner’s real legacy lies in the way she overcame shocking abuse

Human rights defender Bianca Jagger on the legendary performer who showed women how to overcome appalling adversity

Tina Turner had an indomitable spirit. Her courage and endurance were an inspiration to women throughout the world and, in particular, women who are victims of domestic violence.

Her strength let light into the darkest places, especially at home when facing abuse from her then-husband, Ike Turner.

She was an electrifying force for music, but her courage was as much a definition of who she was, as her charisma and talent as a singer.

When she first spoke out about domestic violence, it was an act of bravery. She exposed herself publicly and fearlessly. In 1981, she told an interviewer: “I was insanely afraid of that man”. For the first time, the secret trauma at the heart of the wildly successful musical duo, Ike & Tina Turner, was revealed.

She drew back the veil on a horrendous reality, masked by commercial success. Tina’s scorching description of her marriage included being forced to watch a live sex show in a brothel on her wedding night and being beaten with a shoe stretcher when she was pregnant – truly catastrophic degradation.

She spoke of Ike throwing scalding coffee over her and of being brutalised with a coat hanger. She admitted she was afraid to talk about the abuse she suffered “because of what I would get from Ike”.

In 1968, she tried to take her own life. Thank God she had the courage to come back, to find herself and her strength and not to endure the abuse any longer.

Ike, who died 16 years ago, in 2007, always denied that he mistreated her, but nobody ever doubted Tina’s truth, her courage or her talent.

In the early 1980s, she refused to be defined by the “victim” label placed on her and instead chose to reinvent herself stylistically, through rock and roll music and fashion. She also dashed the notion that women were “past their prime” once they got over 40.

Whenever I met her, she was a force of nature both on stage and off it. Her energy and her joie de vivre were irresistible. She was one of the greatest singers and a fabulous dancer. Anyone who met her, fell for her. She even taught Mick how to dance.

But her real legacy will be that she was a role model for women.

Her words are haunting – she told the journalist Carl Arrington she had promised Ike she would “never leave him”. “I felt obligated to stay in the marriage and I was afraid,” she said. “I didn’t want to hurt him, and after he beat me up, I was sitting there all bruised and torn and all of a sudden I’m feeling sorry for him. Maybe I was brainwashed.”

But Tina finally did leave him – in 1978, after she could no longer put up with what she described as “torture”.

Her bravery laid a path for freedom for other women. She taught us that we have to take the reins of our life, and that our suffering is escapable – that it is possible to leave.

Her words remain haunting: “I was living a life of death. I didn’t exist. But I survived it. And when I walked out, I walked. I didn’t look back.”

Those are the words of a woman speaking on behalf of all women and inspiring them to show immense courage while facing down dark – and brutally repressive – behaviour by men. She experienced the worst treatment imaginable and it was hidden and harrowing, but Tina’s heroism liberated her from it.

I believe her songs and her performances will transcend her traumatic story – we’ve seen that with all sorts of artists – but at this moment, I want to herald her for what she really was: simply the best.

[www.independent.co.uk]

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: May 26, 2023 00:24

well said bianca

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 26, 2023 00:56

ds1984
The strange thing is that she performed many times with Mick but guested only one time with the full band, in 1981.

Three times. She guested at all of the Meadowlands shows that year.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: May 26, 2023 01:12

Dan
SomeTorontoGirl

That was just a movie.

A movie that was adapted from her autobiography, so unfortunately it’s the truth

Again I love their music but as someone above mentioned it’s the devils music which is appropos as he’s probably down there playing it for him

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: May 26, 2023 01:41

Dan

If he’s in, we’re all in. He was a piece of shit.

Date: May 26, 2023 01:55

NashvilleBlues
Dan

You didn't know him, If you believe everything you see in the movies it says more about you than it says about him.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: May 26, 2023 01:56

Dan
NashvilleBlues
Dan

You didn't know him, If you believe everything you see in the movies it says more about you than it says about him.

Maybe he read her book?

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Date: May 26, 2023 02:06

CindyC
Dan
NashvilleBlues
Dan

Maybe he read her book?

I have seen his posts. I doubt he reads books.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: May 26, 2023 02:12

Dan, these things about Ike are known facts as much as facts can be known.
Photo documentation, etc.

Why are you so hesitant to believe them?

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: May 26, 2023 02:14

angee

Who cares, that's their relationship drama.

I don't take sides on every marital spat in TMZ.

Date: May 26, 2023 02:40

Dan
angee

If there is a heaven, God cares. This all started when you mentioned him being in heaven with Tina, like that’s something she’d want. Like I said, if he’s in heaven, we’re all getting in.

So, do you believe Tina, or not? You’re good at dodging questions and changing the discussion. Before you question my intelligence, check yourself first. You have two obvious typos in your two sentences. winking smiley

Date: May 26, 2023 02:43

NashvilleBlues
Dan
angee

If there is a heaven, God cares. This all started when you mentioned him being in heaven with Tina, like that’s something she’d want. Like I said, if he’s in heaven, we’re all getting in.

So, do you believe Tina, or not? You’re good at dodging questions and changing the discussion. Before you question my intelligence, check yourself first. You have two obvious typos in your two sentences. winking smiley

It's not I believe her or not, I don't really care. And I have been published, they have people to deal with minor details like typed Oh's.

But with Tina out of the way we can start to rehabilitate Ike's reputation as a true original and one of the all-time greats.

Date: May 26, 2023 02:50

Dan
NashvilleBlues
Dan
angee

It's not I believe her or not, I don't really care. And I have been published, they have people to deal with minor details like typed Oh's.

But with Tina out of the way we can start to rehabilitate Ike's reputation as a true original and one of the all-time greats.

Never questioned his talent, just his character.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1995
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home