Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: We Are Winding Down
Posted by: kovach ()
Date: May 23, 2023 20:34

Doxa
Nikkei
Doxa
Looks like you Skippy skipped the idiot section from the great generation: Clapton, Van Morrison and Roger Waters...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Disagreeing with Roger Waters would be one thing but designating him to the "idiot section" is way more telling about you. Perhaps it's getting sort of difficult to disagree the more you listen to him?

Well, I hope it does tell something about me. But I think you seemingly understanding or even agreeing with him is a showcase how dangerous the 'useful idiots' like him are these days (he is the poster boy if anyone for that). The horrible forces that sort of naive, ego-maniac, idealistic, pseudo-intellectual bullshit serves is frightening. But someone out there surely is pleased as it seems to work. Eric and Van are just mild, almost innocent stuff with their small self-centered issues shocking their little privileged world compared to god-like-acting Roger.

But I am afraid this topic goes beyond the scope here, so I better stop here.

- Doxa

I think the difference is, Van and Eric sort of made a statement and left it at that.

Waters likes to continue to lecture people ad nauseam.

Re: Aging rock stars
Posted by: bam ()
Date: May 23, 2023 20:47

The clip of the Jeff Beck tribute concert showed Rod, Eric, and Ronnie hugging at the end of People Get Ready. The vibe they gave off was “we’re the last ones here.”

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: May 23, 2023 23:21

I attended an excellent show last weekend that featured a bunch of "aging rock stars."

[variety.com]

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 24, 2023 00:38

[www.ihopeidiebeforeigetold.com]

Date: May 24, 2023 00:50

Kenny Burrell still alive. Unbelievable! I hope he still plays the guitar.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 24, 2023 02:49

Doxa
Looks like you Skippy skipped the idiot section from the great generation: Clapton, Van Morrison and Roger Waters...grinning smiley

- Doxa

LOL yeah well, ha ha, it was just who came to mind immediately (they obviously didn't). I know I left out a lot out. Elvis Costello, Chrissie Hynde, David Byrne, Aaron Neville, Kris Kristofferson, George Strait, Dave Gilmour, Angus, Brian Johnson, Ozzy, Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones, Madonna etc.

Point is there's gonna be a huge change soon and then ongoing. It's a bit amazing, actually.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 24, 2023 02:50

ribbelchips
Some additions...

Bill Wyman: 86

Tina Turner: 83

Jimmy Page: 79

Rod Stewart: 78

Neil Young, John Fogerty: 77

Elton John, Marianne Faithfull: 76

Brian May - 75

Ozzy Osbourne, Mick Taylor, Robert Plant - 74

Angus Young: 68

Bono - 63

Axl Rose - 61

But maybe the most shocking for me: Spice Girl Geri Halliwell turned 50 yo this year too! confused smiley

Yes, see, there are TONS of them!

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: May 24, 2023 03:04

GasLightStreet
ribbelchips
Some additions...

Bill Wyman: 86

Tina Turner: 83

Jimmy Page: 79

Rod Stewart: 78

Neil Young, John Fogerty: 77

Elton John, Marianne Faithfull: 76

Brian May - 75

Ozzy Osbourne, Mick Taylor, Robert Plant - 74

Angus Young: 68

Bono - 63

Axl Rose - 61

But maybe the most shocking for me: Spice Girl Geri Halliwell turned 50 yo this year too! confused smiley

Yes, see, there are TONS of them!

With Chuck and Jerry Lee gone, is Bill the oldest living rock star?

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: May 24, 2023 03:33

chubby checker is 81 and still (sorta) doing the twist

voice is still pretty good too

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 24, 2023 04:25

Yoko Ono is 90...

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: May 24, 2023 04:36

There is age and retired or age and still performing. I have been lucky to see a bunch of them at the Autism Benefit in LA, Willie Nelson's 90 th Birthday and Acoustic For a Cure with younguns like Bob weir, Sammy Hagar, Nancy Wilson, Joan Baez, Michael Anthony, Taj Mahal and Chris Isaak. I know many of the artists I saw I will never get to see again because they no longer tour so it was a treat.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: May 24, 2023 04:49

Blues legends John Mayall and Delbert McClinton are 89 and 82 respectively.

Posted by: mkbbcmr ()
Date: May 24, 2023 06:53

Ray Davies will be 79 in June. Still going strong, even considering a Kinks reunion. Seriously. Again. Don't hold your breath.

Legend.

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: May 24, 2023 10:07

Wanda Jackson, the Queen Of Rockabilly, is 85.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 24, 2023 11:09

These days I listen more to contemporary acts and more streaming of course. I try to live in the now (recommended by Kirkegaard...).
I still listen to the old acts of course but see no sorrow in them going out (more melancholy actually) - they have had their time and more than so...

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: May 24, 2023 15:55

What about aging rock fans?

Will you sit down please? I can't see! PA too loud! Where's the toilet please? Yes, nice t-shirt! Do you have XXXXL? Who's the guy playing the bass?

C

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: May 24, 2023 18:49

Did I miss his name? Tom Jones should be on this list of aging music stars. He's still cuttin' it. Check out his gig at the Ryman Auditorium in Nashville earlier this month. It's up on Dime.

Posted by: ds1984 ()
Date: May 24, 2023 20:44

It was a wonderful time.
Once seeing my rock stars at the top I have difficulties to enjoy their shows when witnessing them going down.

I feel now myself like a man of the past.

Glad to have attended most of those I wanted to ear live.

Some big regrets to the few I missed, on the top on my list being Mitch Ryder and the late Tom Petty.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-05-24 20:47 by ds1984.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 24, 2023 21:44

ds1984

Some big regrets to the few I missed, on the top on my list being Mitch Ryder and the late Tom Petty.

I saw the Detroit Wheels in October, 1966. In a small place that was basically a union hall. My mom took tickets. I got to sit on the stage. I thought they were going to blow the roof off.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-05-26 23:08 by 24FPS.

Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: May 24, 2023 22:04

Andy Summers of the Police is a mind-boggling 80 years old!

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: May 24, 2023 22:16

..and Tina....!

Date: May 25, 2023 00:36

jp.M
..and Tina....!

That’s not funny. Poor taste

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: May 25, 2023 01:29

Has anybody else seen the clips of Ronnie and others at the Jeff Beck tribute at Royal Albert Hall this month? He's on fire, IMHO. Ronnie made me think how the Stones could spark themselves and their audience by covering various soul, r&b and other songs during their shows. I pictured Mick singing, along with a subtle backup, People Get Ready. Would love to see the Stones once again rocking out on some Chuck B during their shows along with Mona (Bo Diddley), Love In Vain, Down The Road Apiece, Have Mercy, etc. WTF. At this point in time, make it a show of songs you grooved on and enjoy(ed). I'd even throw in Going Home as a let's all get in the groove and party along tune for shows. For aging rockers, why the hell not do things that reflect you, the band, rather than the popular?

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: May 25, 2023 11:39

More Hot Rocks
jp.M
..and Tina....!

to be fair he may have posted that before hearing the sad news

Posted by: mkbbcmr ()
Date: May 25, 2023 16:49

Javadave
Wanda Jackson, the Queen Of Rockabilly, is 85.

Cliff Richard, arguably Britain's first genuine rock'n'roller, is 82. "Move It!", released in 1958, will be 65 in August.

Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: May 25, 2023 18:45

At the age of 68, I feel very fortunate to have seen the artists I have most wanted to see.

As to regrets, to quote the song, "I've had a few, but then again, too few to mention."

I never saw the Beatles, but I have seen Paul three times, George once, and Ringo once.

I never saw Led Zeppelin, but I've seen Robert Plant three times and John Paul Jones once. (Keep hoping Jimmy Page will do ..... something....but not holding my breath.

I never saw Elvis, and a few others here and there, but...

I saw the Rolling Stones eleven times, the Who four times (with Keith Moon at the first one), Little Feat with Lowell George, Queen with all four members, the Grateful Dead with Jerry, Jeff Beck, the Beach Boys reunion that included Brian Wilson, and many more.

So again, it's been a good run. I'm not 100% finished with concerts, but it will take a very special band or artist to motivate me to pay $200 for a ticket these days.

Date: May 25, 2023 19:12

ProfessorWolf
More Hot Rocks
jp.M
..and Tina....!

to be fair he may have posted that before hearing the sad news

I thought the same thing until i saw the time stamp. He knew.

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: May 25, 2023 19:22

WorriedAboutYou
Andy Summers of the Police is a mind-boggling 80 years old!

Incredible ! He is respectively 9 and 10 year older than Sting and Stewart Copeland. I would never have guessed.

Edit: The song "Born In The 50's" has been written by Sting spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-05-25 19:23 by djgab.

Posted by: ThePaleRider ()
Date: May 26, 2023 19:11

Steven Tyler is older than Robert Plant I wouldn't have thought that....

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: May 27, 2023 03:33

ThePaleRider
Steven Tyler is older than Robert Plant I wouldn't have thought that....

Just by a couple of months. Tyler was born in March of '48, while Plant was born in August.

It's easy to assume that Plant is older because the first LZ album came out in January of '69 when he was only 20 years old.

The first Aerosmith album came out in January of '73, but the band really didn't get any airplay until '75 when Toys In The Attic came out. ("Dream On" from the first record was re-released and became a hit after that)

In '75 Zeppelin was Rock Establishment, whereas Aerosmith was part of a new generation of up-and-comers.

It's mind-boggling to me how young some of these now-old rockers were when their careers started. So many of them were basically kids, and grew up in public.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1935
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home