Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: 14 Years Ago This Week Clapton Winwood MSG
Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: May 22, 2023 03:33

Late in the career flash from two old masters
that takes any 70's music fan right back to the heyday...

Re: OT: 14 Years Ago This Week Clapton Winwood MSG
Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: May 22, 2023 03:39

The CD was released in 2009 - 14 years ago - but the concerts were actually Winter 2008. Still have the t-shirt. smiling smiley

[en.m.wikipedia.org])

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-05-22 03:42 by SomeTorontoGirl.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: May 22, 2023 03:53

I was there too. I should have taped but didn't. I won't make that mistake again.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 22, 2023 04:19

I was at the Hollywood Bowl show on the final night of the subsequent US tour in June, 2009 - 'twas a fantastic show!

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: May 22, 2023 15:10

One of very few shows in my life I regret not seeing. Knew it would be good but just couldn't swing it. IMO the only real time Clapton has played the NY area in my lifetime where he REALLY would have blown me away. Winwood lit a fire under his ass, as opposed to when I saw him at MSG with Cream and he was going through the motions.

Excellent live album/video document.

Posted by: mick64 ()
Date: May 22, 2023 15:20

there will be vinyl and deluxe reissues is something known

Posted by: mr_c_ox ()
Date: May 22, 2023 16:25

Caught them when they played the Albert Hall in 2011 and then at the Ginger Baker tribute in 2020. They both play so well together after all this time!

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: May 22, 2023 18:32

Saw them in Serbia in 2010. Yessir, they rocked.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: May 22, 2023 18:42

I was at one of the MSG concerts. Good show!

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 23, 2023 16:40

I think they played something like 14 shows during their 2009 US tour. Never came to Michigan, where I live, so I made the 4-hour drive to see them in Columbus, Ohio, and I think the only reason they played there is because Eric's wife has family in Ohio.

Never got the full story as to why Ginger wasn't involved. They could have made it a full-fledged Blind Faith 40th anniversary tour with his participation. I'm guessing he wasn't invited, but why? Had his health deteriorated significantly in the four years since the Cream reunion shows, or did Eric and Steve just not want to be bothered dealing with his bull shit?

Date: May 23, 2023 17:39

tatters
I think they played something like 14 shows during their 2009 US tour. Never came to Michigan, where I live, so I made the 4-hour drive to see them in Columbus, Ohio, and I think the only reason they played there is because Eric's wife has family in Ohio.

Never got the full story as to why Ginger wasn't involved. They could have made it a full-fledged Blind Faith 40th anniversary tour with his participation. I'm guessing he wasn't invited, but why? Had his health deteriorated significantly in the four years since the Cream reunion shows, or did Eric and Steve just not want to be bothered dealing with his bull shit?

Pretty sure that was it after the MSG Cream shows. I had heard there was an opportunity for a tour after MSG but the drama was too much.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 23, 2023 18:15

daspyknows
tatters

Pretty sure that was it after the MSG Cream shows. I had heard there was an opportunity for a tour after MSG but the drama was too much.

Yeah, the plans for a Cream tour were scrapped because Jack and Ginger were reportedly at each other's throats, but I'm talking about Blind Faith here. Jack, obviously, would not have been part of any Blind Faith tour, so Ginger wouldn't necessarily have had anyone to butt heads with.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-05-23 18:16 by tatters.

Date: May 24, 2023 01:41

tatters
daspyknows
tatters

Yeah, the plans for a Cream tour were scrapped because Jack and Ginger were reportedly at each other's throats, but I'm talking about Blind Faith here. Jack, obviously, would not have been part of any Blind Faith tour, so Ginger wouldn't necessarily have had anyone to butt heads with.

The only time Ginger has no one to butt heads with was when he was alone. Loved him but dude was one ornery SOB when I got to see him. I do not think they would have done the later shows if Ginger Baker played in MSG. My recollection of MSG was they were both having a lot of fun.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: May 24, 2023 10:20

tatters

In the first place, Eric did not want Ginger for his next musical activities after Cream.

Eric’s initial intention of forming Blind Faith was the English version of The Band, so to speak. Unfortunately, his idea was spoilt when Ginger forced himself into the lineup. People took the outfit as a ‘supergroup’, Cream+Traffic (and Family for some circles of music fans), but it was by no means what he aimed at. Jim Capaldi was Eric’s preferred choice for the drummer of a new group which turned out to be Blind Faith, eventually.

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: May 24, 2023 15:54

Funny thing- I read one of Jack Bruce's last interviews before he died where he said Clapton actually wanted to do more Cream shows post-MSG but Ginger said something that "put Eric off". Odd since Ginger always needed more money.
As physically compromised as Jack and Ginger were, I thought the shows were nothing short of heroic but pretty short of their prime. Apparently they started the rehearsals with the vintage set up but didnt like the way it sounded. Would have loved to hear Eric back on a Gibson SG/Les Paul with an overdriven Marshall stack. Didn't think the Strat did the sound justice.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: May 24, 2023 20:36

roryfaninva
Funny thing- I read one of Jack Bruce's last interviews before he died where he said Clapton actually wanted to do more Cream shows post-MSG but Ginger said something that "put Eric off". Odd since Ginger always needed more money.
As physically compromised as Jack and Ginger were, I thought the shows were nothing short of heroic but pretty short of their prime. Apparently they started the rehearsals with the vintage set up but didnt like the way it sounded. Would have loved to hear Eric back on a Gibson SG/Les Paul with an overdriven Marshall stack. Didn't think the Strat did the sound justice.

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1861
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home