Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: John Mellencamp
Posted by: Sockers56 ()
Date: May 12, 2023 05:30

Has anyone seen John Mellencamp this time around? He is getting excellent reviews. My question is how are the video screens? I'm planning on seeing him in Grand Rapids, Mi at DeVos Hall or the Masonic Temple in Detroit. The seats we get may be a bit further back.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-05-14 17:42 by bv.

Re: john Mellencamp
Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: May 13, 2023 01:00

Wish he still had Kenny Aronoff on drums, a big part of the Mellencamp sound back in the 80s-90s! Haven't seen him on this current tour but saw him in 2018 in Abbotsford near Vancouver. Thought he was okay, not great, but others that I know that saw the show thought he was excellent.
First saw him in 88 on the Lonesome Jubilee tour when he was probably at his peak from a popularity standpoint.

Posted by: roryg ()
Date: May 13, 2023 01:10

We'll see him at the end of June for a makeup show. It sounds like Lisa Germano is back and, while Miriam was fine, LG brought these songs to life.

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: May 13, 2023 01:59

Would love to see him add Carlene Carter to the show-- they did some really great material on his 'Hillbillies" disc--

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 13, 2023 02:32

DGA35
Wish he still had Kenny Aronoff on drums, a big part of the Mellencamp sound back in the 80s-90s! Haven't seen him on this current tour but saw him in 2018 in Abbotsford near Vancouver. Thought he was okay, not great, but others that I know that saw the show thought he was excellent.
First saw him in 88 on the Lonesome Jubilee tour when he was probably at his peak from a popularity standpoint.

Saw him in Abby in 2018. Saw him a few years earlier in Vancouver with Tom Cochrane opening. 2nd row ...fab show.

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: May 13, 2023 04:11

His Vancouver show was awesome.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: May 13, 2023 06:46

roryg
We'll see him at the end of June for a makeup show. It sounds like Lisa Germano is back and, while Miriam was fine, LG brought these songs to life.

Yes, Lisa was a big part of his band. Songs like Check it Out, Paper In Fire and especially Jackie Brown, very soulful violin playing!

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: May 13, 2023 16:59

He always puts on a good show. Seems to be all show though, always seems miserable in interviews, says it's just work, never wanted in the rock biz, was an art student. But nevertheless, always good.

Back in the old days, like the Scarecrow tour era, he'd do a good 20+ minute encore medley of rock/Motown classics, was always pretty cool.

Speaking of Kenny Aronoff, met him once, super nice guy. My family was on vacation in Nashville (to see the Stones Exhibitionism display), noticed him going into the bar. Told my son who was maybe 15 at the time and also a drummer to go hang around in the lobby, could maybe get an autograph or something. Anyways, a while later, whoever he seemed to be chatting with at the bar walked away for a bit, I said come on, let's just tell him we're fans and say hi. He hopped off the bar stool, shook our hands, took a picture with us, gave us an autograph, and proceeded to give my son tips on how to make it as a drummer for a good 20 minutes or more.

I did ask him if he has any communication with Mellencamp anymore, he said they both played at the Obama inauguration and he thought it would be weird not to pop in to say hi, said they had a very pleasant time catching up, but other than that, not much.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-05-13 17:00 by kovach.

Date: May 13, 2023 23:00

Very nice, Kovach!

Posted by: U2Stonesfan ()
Date: May 14, 2023 02:31

Great IEM recording of his new tour by Hoserama on Dime!
[www.dimeadozen.org]

Re: OT: John Mellencamp
Posted by: Woody24 ()
Date: May 16, 2023 00:06

Saw him Saturday night at Aronoff Center in Cincinnati. There were no video screens! I even remarked to my wife that I couldn’t remember last concert we were at w/o video screens.

Aronoff is Cincinnati’s Broadway show type, Performing Arts Center. Don’t know if he’s had screens anywhere else.

A bit of an odd beginning to show, that I won’t give away.

Once on stage John kicked ass, as did his band.

Out in lobby along with the usual tee shirts, they have his art prints he’s been working on for several years. Quite impressive.

I consider him an American Treasure.

"Take all the pain...It's yours anyway"

Re: OT: John Mellencamp
Date: May 16, 2023 05:36

Woody24
Saw him Saturday night at Aronoff Center in Cincinnati. There were no video screens! I even remarked to my wife that I couldn’t remember last concert we were at w/o video screens.

Aronoff is Cincinnati’s Broadway show type, Performing Arts Center. Don’t know if he’s had screens anywhere else.

A bit of an odd beginning to show, that I won’t give away.

Once on stage John kicked ass, as did his band.

Out in lobby along with the usual tee shirts, they have his art prints he’s been working on for several years. Quite impressive.

I consider him an American Treasure.

Thanks, Woody24!

OT: Masonic Temple, Detroit, Mi
Date: June 10, 2023 23:56

Hi,

I want to take my wife to the Masonic in Detroit for John Mellencamp next Saturday. I'm buying tickets through Tickpick as there are no extra fees. Are there any sections I should avoid. My wife can't stand for extended lengths of time so if people are standing in front of us, will our view be obstructed.I'm looking at Main Left Row Q, but am open to other options. Thank you!!

Re: OT: Masonic Temple, Detroit, Mi
Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: June 11, 2023 00:19

I don't think there's a bad seat at the Masonic, tbh.

Date: June 11, 2023 00:23

That is encoraging. Thank you!

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: June 11, 2023 01:22

How is the sound in this venue in person?
I have a few boots from there and it comes across as a really great sounding room.

Date: June 11, 2023 03:04

Paddy
I have a few boots from there and it comes across as a really great sounding room.

It has great acoustics. My only issue with the venue is that the lack of a/c, the last time I went, anyway! (April 2022.)

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: June 11, 2023 06:24

Aquamarine
Paddy

It has great acoustics. My only issue with the venue is that the lack of a/c, the last time I went, anyway! (April 2022.)

Thanks for the reply.

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: June 11, 2023 07:09

Paddy

I agree I have a Stones boot from there from 78, very great sound.

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: June 11, 2023 16:28

Its a great venue...not a bad seat in the house...have a good time...

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: June 12, 2023 16:13

There are plenty of balcony seats where people are less likely to stand.

Date: June 14, 2023 02:29

detroitken
Its a great venue...not a bad seat in the house...have a good time...
OK, I have it narrowed down: Main Left 203 row G at $165 a ticket or balcóny center 203 row G. It's the very Upper balcóny but first row. Tickets only $125 each. I'm thinking these may be better. What do you all think.

Date: June 14, 2023 02:30

The main left seats are the 2nd row.

Date: June 17, 2023 00:25

Bit late now, what did you choose? I would have said that the upper balcony would be a good choice, as it's not a massive venue so you're still not going to be that far, and if it's the first row your wife could sit the whole show if necessary.

Date: June 17, 2023 02:46

Yes,furthest upper balcony,1st row.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-06-17 02:53 by Sockers56.

Date: June 17, 2023 02:47

And in the center.

Date: June 18, 2023 00:00

Sockers56
And in the center.

Sounds perfect! Enjoy the show!

Date: June 19, 2023 01:50

Aquamarine
Sockers56
And in the center.

They were nearly perfect seats. And the show was out of this world.

Date: June 19, 2023 23:16

Sockers56
Aquamarine
Sockers56
And in the center.

They were nearly perfect seats. And the show was out of this world.

Awesome! It's a great venue, too, isn't it.

Date: June 20, 2023 04:22

Yes, loved it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1755
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home