Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT : Ed Sheeran NOT LIABLE for Infringement
Posted by: schillid ()
Date: May 4, 2023 20:20

... verdict just in

[www.cnn.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-05-04 20:24 by schillid.

Re: OT : Ed Sheeran NOT LIABLE for Infringement
Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: May 4, 2023 20:33

Good, because his song does NOT sound like Marvin Gaye's tune! As Sheeran said, it is common to use the same chord progression as another song...ya think, seeing as how there are MILLIONS OF SONGS on record!

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: May 4, 2023 20:41

mickschix
Good, because his song does NOT sound like Marvin Gaye's tune! As Sheeran said, it is common to use the same chord progression as another song...ya think, seeing as how there are MILLIONS OF SONGS on record!

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: May 4, 2023 20:52

mickschix

Agree 100%.

Now that other song a few years ago, "Blurred Lines" soon as I heard it I thought, what does this sound like, is this a remake??

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: May 4, 2023 22:04

Not a fan of Ed Sheeran but its good that he was found not liable.
If he was found guilty it would have set a precedent for a lot more law suits, like this, within the music world.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: May 5, 2023 02:36

spikenyc
If he was found guilty it would have set a precedent for a lot more law suits, like this, within the music world.

Really really good guitar player. Comes across a bit poppy but the guy is talented.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 5, 2023 02:40

kovach
mickschix

Agree 100%.

Now that other song a few years ago, "Blurred Lines" soon as I heard it I thought, what does this sound like, is this a remake??

They shouldn't have been sued for that either. Or else sue every song with a cowbell.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-05-05 20:42 by 24FPS.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: May 5, 2023 03:14

kovach
spikenyc

Really really good guitar player. Comes across a bit poppy but the guy is talented.

not a fan personally

but keith likes him and he's under 90 so that's gotta mean something huh

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 5, 2023 04:27

ProfessorWolf
kovach
spikenyc

not a fan personally

Well, his recordings are not 50+ years old, so of course you don’t! winking smiley

I’m not a fan, either. He’s inoffensive enough, though.

Date: May 5, 2023 08:14

Big Al
ProfessorWolf
kovach
spikenyc

not a fan personally

Well, his recordings are not 50+ years old, so of course you don’t! winking smiley

I’m not a fan, either. He’s inoffensive enough, though.

you got me theregrinning smiley

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: May 5, 2023 10:37

ProfessorWolf
kovach
spikenyc

not a fan personally

“Keith likes him” - are you sure about that?

Date: May 5, 2023 11:03

Harlem Shuffler
ProfessorWolf
kovach
spikenyc

not a fan personally

“Keith likes him” - are you sure about that?

yeah i read in one of the interviews he did back when he was promoting crosseyed heart

don't know which one offhand though

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: May 5, 2023 13:37

We saw this before and we will see it in the future.
Greedy heirs.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 5, 2023 15:13

I thought the "Stairway To Heaven" case could have been a pre-case for these not to happen, but seemingly no. Somebody still smells easy money. Probably the idea is to milk money by settlement before entering the courtroom that seemingly successfully happened with Sheeran earlier. Good that Sheeran took it all the way this time.

I wonder what is happening with the case of "Living in The Ghost Town" at the moment.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-05-05 15:14 by Doxa.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: May 6, 2023 10:51

Strange isn't it...

...that folks only notice and pursue these potential infringements of copyright when the alleged offending artists are worth hundreds of millions. winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-05-06 15:42 by Spud.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 6, 2023 10:59

Hey yeah its the same with the metoo posse
They never go after the guy in the slums who's
controlling a dozen women ... there's no $$$$ in it

ROCKMAN

Re: OT : Ed Sheeran live performance stream
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: May 6, 2023 14:45

10-May-2023 - Ed Sheeran 'Subtract' live stream :

"Apple announced on May 5, 2023 it will stream Ed Sheeran's live performance of his latest album 'Subtract' at the Eventim Apollo theater in London. Apple Music and Apple TV+ subscribers will be able to watch the concert at no additional cost on Wednesday, May 10 at 12:00 p.m. Pacific Time, and an on-demand stream will be available starting an hour later" - [www.Apple.com] .

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: May 6, 2023 18:19

The Stones handled things much wiser with Anybody Seen My Baby, even though ASMB has much less to do with Constant Craving than Sheeran's song with Let's Get It On. (The only parallel between ASMB and Constant Craving that I can spot is the first four bars of the chorus.)

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: May 6, 2023 19:36

Rockman
Hey yeah its the same with the metoo posse
They never go after the guy in the slums who's
controlling a dozen women ... there's no $$$$ in it

+ 100 % thumbs up

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 7, 2023 06:23

doitywoik
The Stones handled things much wiser with Anybody Seen My Baby, even though ASMB has much less to do with Constant Craving than Sheeran's song with Let's Get It On. (The only parallel between ASMB and Constant Craving that I can spot is the first four bars of the chorus.)

Sheeran got away with no infringement. All the "I'll quit" expressionism is just drama: I've never heard a more clear and obvious rip off in my life.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: May 9, 2023 19:25

GasLightStreet

Sheeran got away with no infringement. All the "I'll quit" expressionism is just drama: I've never heard a more clear and obvious rip off in my life.

I agree that Sheeran played the victim role here, but I don't hear any similarity in the melodies of the two songs. Add that Sheeran's song has a chorus, while Marvin's tune has not.

How many chord original progressions do we have in pop music? They are all quite the same.

We wouldn't have rock and roll music if the I IV V progression could have been protected by copyright!

C

Date: May 9, 2023 20:12

I would say "inspired".

"If you don't c sharp you'll b flat". - Muhammad Ali.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-05-09 20:41 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: May 26, 2023 10:04

That trial was a disgrace, nothing but a money-grab from (dead) Marvin Gaye's family.They were hoping for a pay-off to go away. They had no basis for a lawsuit; there was no plagiarism.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: May 26, 2023 13:02

Bliss
That trial was a disgrace, nothing but a money-grab from (dead) Marvin Gaye's family.They were hoping for a pay-off to go away. They had no basis for a lawsuit; there was no plagiarism.

Plaintiffs were the family of Ed Townsend, co-writer of “Let’s Get It On”, not MG's family.

C

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: May 26, 2023 13:28

Quite right, the family of the dead composer. But my point remains...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1796
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home