Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: "The Stones and Brian Jones" documentary - BBC Two May 15
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: May 9, 2023 02:49

The letter from Brian's father and quotes from director Nick Broomfield are from an interview with Sean O'Hagan, posted by The Guardian on May 7.

'He epitomised the dazzling 60s and then was gone’: the inside story of Rolling Stone Brian Jones

Sean O’Hagan
Sun 7 May 2023

[www.theguardian.com]

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 9, 2023 09:41

bye bye johnny
The letter from Brian's father and quotes from director Nick Broomfield are from an interview with Sean O'Hagan, posted by The Guardian on May 7.

'He epitomised the dazzling 60s and then was gone’: the inside story of Rolling Stone Brian Jones

Sean O’Hagan
Sun 7 May 2023

[www.theguardian.com]

Thank you. After reading that I feel I've seen the documentary. Brian was one of those rare musicians who communicated ethereal emotions without saying a word. Very rare. What an amazing group of individuals had to come together to form the Rolling Stones.

Posted by: NeddieFlanders ()
Date: May 10, 2023 10:45

Trailer/Preview:

[www.youtube.com]

N

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 10, 2023 17:29

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-05-10 17:30 by His Majesty.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: May 11, 2023 03:52

Magnolia Pictures Takes North American Rights To Nick Broomfield Doc ‘The Stones And Brian Jones’ Ahead Of Cannes Market

Matthew Carey

EXCLUSIVE: Magnolia Pictures has acquired North American rights to The Stones and Brian Jones, a documentary about the “lost creative genius” who launched – and named – The Rolling Stones.

Acclaimed filmmaker Nick Broomfield (Kurt and Courtney, Marianne & Leonard: Words of Love) directed the documentary, which Magnolia plans to release in theaters later this year. 

[deadline.com]

"The Stones and Brian Jones" documentary - BBC Two May 15
Date: May 12, 2023 17:16

The Stones and Brian Jones TV review — portrait of a vulnerable rock legend

Nick Broomfield’s absorbing and melancholic feature includes unseen archive footage of the band’s founder

© Bent Rej

Dan Elnav
May 12,2023

[www.ft.com]

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: May 12, 2023 17:21

bye bye johnny

Nick Broomfield’s absorbing and melancholic feature includes unseen archive footage of the band’s founder

© Bent Rej

Dan Elnav
May 12,2023

[www.ft.com]

Wonder who won the arm-wrestling contest?

Posted by: Ps37 ()
Date: May 12, 2023 20:57

Is there any way to see this in US?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 12, 2023 21:38

NashvilleBlues
bye bye johnny

© Bent Rej

Dan Elnav
May 12,2023

[www.ft.com]

Wonder who won the arm-wrestling contest?

Based on their body language and face impression, Brian. Mick looks like having all effort in and is already struggling, but Brian looks like he is just warming up, and hasn't even started using all power yet. smoking smiley

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-05-12 21:39 by Doxa.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: May 13, 2023 01:08

Yes, a very refreshing and interesting article! Thanks for posting the link. I look forward to viewing the documentary.

Re: "The Stones and Brian Jones" - BBC documentary coming in May
Posted by: stones1969 ()
Date: May 15, 2023 03:13

They did interview Bill Wyman for the documentary and he took film footage of the Stones when Brian was with the band. Maybe he let them use some footage of his or they just found some archival footage somewhere. I hope they are true to their word. Seeing new footage is always interesting.

Date: May 15, 2023 08:38

Much as I'll probably watch it, I would be surprised to find anything new that would be worthwhile. I read a number of books about his growing up. The terrible things he did in Cheltehham, the illegitimate children. His cold parents. Then the Stones and the slide, and multi-instrumental talents. Bill's already on record stating how Brian started the band, etc.

I'll still watch it, for unseen footage. And maybe someone has some insight. Maybe. When you only live to 27, there's not a lot of depth to go into.

Date: May 15, 2023 17:45

Interview with Nick Broomfield regarding his Brian Jones documentary: [www.rte.ie]

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 16, 2023 00:36

Nice documentary with a lot of unseen footage but overall I already knew most of it already

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: May 16, 2023 01:55

NICOS
Nice documentary with a lot of unseen footage but overall I already knew most of it already

that's good news as far as i'm concerned

it would have been pretty hard to surprise us hard core fans with new information on brian at this point

can't wait to see it just for the new footage

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 16, 2023 02:28

ProfessorWolf
NICOS

it would have been pretty hard to surprise us hard core fans with new information on brian at this point

They even played a pop song written by Brian from an old tape deck not sure he is the one singing on it

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: May 16, 2023 03:17

NICOS
ProfessorWolf
NICOS

They even played a pop song written by Brian from an old tape deck not sure he is the one singing on it

oh god now i'm salivating!grinning smiley

i really can't wait to see this thing

hope this gets a dvd/blr-ray release

maybe with some bonus footage

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-05-16 03:17 by ProfessorWolf.

Date: May 16, 2023 05:03

The TV listing referred to Brian as the lead guitarist of the Rolling Stones. Other than his rare slide forays, I can't think of him playing one solo. There was the riff to The Last Time, but other than I can't think where he came up with a riff that was essential to a song.

Date: May 16, 2023 11:57

I found it to be a bit of a hit piece on Brian's parents which was depressing. It seemed to lose a bit of steam mid way through as it lingered for too long about his love life.

The Hendrix recording they played, 'Little One', doesn't feature Brian, but Dave Mason playing sitar. There were other clunkers, like they state Brian's parents never went to a Stones concert. That is absolutely untrue! They show the wrong house on Hatherley Road. Left handed Stones in September 1966 etc.

Loved the brief, footage of Brian in school era. The fuller interview clip from Shivaree re song writing was a lot less awkward than the sneakily edited version used in 'My Life as a Rolling Stone'. Good ol' Bill doing his bit to point out Brian's playing. The brief excerpt of the Jones/Aldred song was interesting. Loved the 'new' Brian and Anita pics.

It's left me with an uneasy feeling though. The occasional use of, I think AI recreated, Brian voice made some of it feel dubious and Brian's fathers deeply emotional and personal letter to Brian being read out bothers me.

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: May 16, 2023 14:34

I am probably less informed about the Stones' love lives in 1960s, but Anita did not come out very nicely from this documentary.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: May 16, 2023 15:02

I may watch it with the sound off...just for any interesting footage and photos

...cos I'm fairly sure that what we hear will be the usual mix ofsemi-fabricated b*llocks and distorted recollections.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: May 16, 2023 16:10

Well, I did enjoy this documentary, as apart from anything else I am always a sucker for old footage and there was quite a bit of that that I hadn't seen before. Despite knowing where it was going to end, I was inevitably more and more saddened as the film progressed, but it was great to see Bill speaking so enthusiastically about Brian's musicianship.

Bill was billed as the historical consultant but it seems he could perhaps have done with His Majesty as his assistant winking smiley Bill's wife was billed as a historical co-producer, whatever that might be.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 16, 2023 16:34

His Majesty
The reality is we will never have 'the truth', all we have is fragments of memories affected by the fluctuating range of human emotions and the passing of time.

Brian's pov about all of the things said about him since 1969 is rather obviously missing.

And greed Phil, greed. The amount of two bit so-called investigative journalists and second-rate film-makers who have circled like shitehawks at the diner to earn their pieces of silver in order to perpetuate the myth that Brian was murdered/killed of by the Stones is tiresome and ridiculous.

Date: May 16, 2023 16:53

I enjoyed it too. There's always going to be historical inaccuracies/different version of events on something that happened over 50 years ago but on the whole I thought the narrative was pretty good.

What came across was how great a band the Rolling Stones were and how important Brian was to their initial success. That was the point Nick was trying to make and it cam across loud and clear. I loved that he included all those great video clips of Brian being the leader of the band. The most poignant clip was of an American interviewer asking Brian about writing the band's songs. I'd never seen that before and Brian's slightly fumbling reaction spoke volumes about the power shift in the band that occurred in 1965.

Date: May 16, 2023 17:13

The Stones and Brian Jones, review: absorbing reminder that it's not all about Mick and Keith

Filmmaker Nick Broomfield lays the blame for the late Jones's difficult personality and personal troubles firmly at the door of his parents

By Anita Singh
15 May 2023

BBC

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

Date: May 16, 2023 17:36

Silver Dagger
The most poignant clip was of an American interviewer asking Brian about writing the band's songs. I'd never seen that before and Brian's slightly fumbling reaction spoke volumes about the power shift in the band that occurred in 1965.

I think he's quite chill and honest about it really. However, previously, it looked so awkward due to editing...

Here it is as presented in the Brian documentary:

Here it is as presented in the Mick episode of My Life As A Rolling Stone:

Date: May 16, 2023 17:54

His Majesty
Silver Dagger
The most poignant clip was of an American interviewer asking Brian about writing the band's songs. I'd never seen that before and Brian's slightly fumbling reaction spoke volumes about the power shift in the band that occurred in 1965.

I think he's quite chill and honest about it really. However, previously, it looked so awkward due to editing...

Here it is as presented in the Brian documentary:

Here it is as presented in the Mick episode of My Life As A Rolling Stone:

Thanks for posting that Phil. Yeah, horrible editing for the Mick episode of My Life As A Rolling Stone. The Shivaree interview with Brian is also edited - it would have been great to hear what else Brian said. Brian still sounds 100 times more confident than Mick or Keith.

One thing I'd love to know is if Brian actually cared about writing songs and couldn't or just wasn't arsed and was content to play musical colourist. My own feeling is that he enjoyed his showbiz life too much and was content with that. But we'll never know.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: May 16, 2023 18:07

Rockman

"Hello? New York?" "London. Hello?"

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: May 16, 2023 18:19

bye bye johnny

"D-sharp!" "E-flat!"
© Bent Rej

Date: May 16, 2023 18:21

Re the arm wrestle. They did so twice, right v right, left v left. Brian won one, Mick the other.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1671
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home