Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Do fans deserve an official statement?
Posted by: thecitadel ()
Date: April 18, 2023 10:55

A tour sometime in 2023 was expected, and indeed strongly hinted at by all 3 band members. Of course fans know that serious matters might prevent this, so nobody should have had 100% expectations.

Then we had strong positive rumours, leaks from many sources inside the band's team and outside (like venues), and eventually many of the dates for a Tour starting June. But at the last minute no announcement. Again if rumours are to be believed, a medical issue but not serious and not to be publicised.

But clearly enough to make it too risky to sign contracts or gain insurance cover. The money at stake is very big bucks, so a balanced view of risk must be taken.

But also, again from good sources, we heard of a try at re-scheduling 7 months later. And we've seen all three band members in public, looking fit and well - good news of course. But now very good sources, again inside the band's team and outside, confirm that it cannot be re-scheduled.

I don't expect a daily bulletin on tour planning, or even any commitment - there are too many variables. But I think the people who have supported and paid the band and their team (are the customers!) deserved some official statement. Something simple like:

" We were trying very hard to get a tour in place in 2023, but this has not proved possible. Our initial timing could not work due to an non-serious individual people issue, and then we couldn't get the whole team/venues/equipment scheduled for later in the year.

We are sorry this is the outcome, and the whole band was hoping to get on the road again this year. We can never promise, but it is still the band's intention to tour some more, when all the stars align."

Too much to ask?

I guess the organisation hates the rumours and leaks, but this is the 21st century with cellphones, social media, and hundreds of people "in the know" - so not the 70s when tours could be kept secret until announced.

Re: Do fans deserve an official statement?
Date: April 18, 2023 10:59

As nothing was announced, any injuries or other causes for postponement should remain private. Hence we don't "deserve" anything, imo. Theoretically, that is...

Posted by: Mack Jigger ()
Date: April 18, 2023 11:11

I don't see why fans deserve an official statement. What difference does it make? We already know the outcome, there's no tour this year. It's just the way it is, accept that and hope for a tour next year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-04-18 11:11 by Mack Jigger.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: April 18, 2023 11:18

Yeah, hard to see why they should give any kind of statement/announcement as nothing about this year ever got the point of actually being official.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: April 18, 2023 11:23

I am happy with their "Patience Please" message on social media, posted shortly after they communicated internally to band members and their organization about the "no touring this year" message.

There are so many lawyers involved, lots of clauses where nobody should say anything, I am sure the easiest is to say nothing, except for the post of an old 1972 image, which is telling me they will try to work out something for next year, if possible.

As they get older, with Mick and Keith both turning 80 this year, there will be more and more geriatric reasons for short time planning, contracting and changing. I am sure they will take that into consideration planning ahead.

Bjornulf

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: April 18, 2023 11:38

No.

They’re just a band. I’m a fanatic just like you all. But do they “owe” us something about why they’re not touring? Oh please.. we’re all adults. Don’t need our hand held.

Rod

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: April 18, 2023 11:46

Yes. Every relationship needs healthy communication. But if you are satisfied with not knowing - good for you. I´m not.

Posted by: MonicaDe ()
Date: April 18, 2023 11:50

Definitely not! There was nothing official announced.
Just wait patiently...They will tour eventually. They will give you a new album eventually.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 18, 2023 12:30

No .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: bv ()
Date: April 18, 2023 12:39

The reason for the original delay is said to be medical. They have never stated any details. It might be a minor foot surgery issue, which takes time to heal, according to unconfirmed rumours. Still, most of us threat health as personal, so I don't expect them to say something about health matters, surgery or other reasons for the original delay.

I don't see Mick sitting on a stool singing through a show. Mick is always healthy, always running on stage, even in Chicago June 21, 2019, just weeks after heart surgery, and even in Milan June 21, 2022, just nine - 9 - days after testing positive for covid-19. Fit like a person half his age.

At their age there will be health issues at times, making it difficult to act and perform like they have done in the past. They have to decide on how to act on this in the public. At one point Mick may not run all through the show, and may be they will need more sitting down, they do already have a discrete "sitting down bench" in front of the drums.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: April 18, 2023 12:41

"All things come to he who waits"...

" ...and a watched pot never boils." grinning smiley

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: April 18, 2023 12:44

O please !

Deserve ? Be serious !

The only thing fans are deserving of is a half-way decent performance from the Rolling Stones, especially if they've coughed up many hundreds of £/€/$ to see 'em ! And historically, the Stones have always unfailingly held up their end of the bargain. I've always left a Stones concert with a big grin on my chops at any rate !

Beyond that, I personally am of the opinion that they owe us absolutely nothing else ....

Deserve my a** !!

Given that they're 60 years in to date, as a token gesture of appreciation for decades of loyal support to their fans of all ages/generations, an official communique of some sort might not go amiss. Possibly something as simple as "See you next year" ! But if they choose to communicate nothing whatsoever, that's also fine. They're certainly under no obligation to say anything if they've no wish to, at least not to my way of thinking ....

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-04-18 12:47 by paulywaul.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: April 18, 2023 12:45

So there you have it.

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: April 18, 2023 12:56

No way. They don't owe us anything. Whatever may happen at this stage is a bonus. No explanations or apologies expected or required.

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: April 18, 2023 12:58

The Stones are The Stones, unaccountable to anyone but themselves

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: April 18, 2023 13:14

If there had been an official announcement of a tour and tickets were on sale, then yes. However, no fan has lost out in that respect. I, personally, understand that it is now increasingly difficult for the group to tour at their age, with all the pitfalls that inevitably arise with old-age. I do feel that, ever-since 2012, we’ve been spoilt for live shows. I wouldn’t mind if they never toured again. And remember: an end to touring doesn’t necessarily have to mean an end to performing in a live-setting full-stop. Perhaps they could work something. Now, what I really do want and expect is a new album. They’ve been working on it on-and-off, sporadically, for seemingly forever. It’s time they rolled-up their sleeves and got it out there.

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: April 18, 2023 13:17

No

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: April 18, 2023 13:22

why? We already know what we need to know (= not tour in 2023)

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: April 18, 2023 13:30

No. The only official "announcement" I hope for is the release of a new single for the summer.

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: April 18, 2023 13:47

Heavens, no!

Life shouldn’t revolve around following a band, and if it does, you’re just being an obsessive fool.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: April 18, 2023 13:52

After 60+ years of great music and memories, I think they’ve earned the right to move forward on their own terms. It’s occurred to me a few times lately … we are still listening to music made 50 - 60 years ago, it’s still meaningful and still gives us joy. Imagine, in 1963, anyone happily listening to music from 1903! We’re lucky to have had them this long, lucky to have formed communities like IORR. Folks were in floods of tears after the last show at the O2 in 2007 thinking we’d witnessed The End, and someday (past or future) we will have. Be grateful for the ride, and hopeful for the future. They’ll always be there in some form. Meanwhile, may have to change my avatar…

Date: April 18, 2023 14:22

SomeTorontoGirl
After 60+ years of great music and memories, I think they’ve earned the right to move forward on their own terms. It’s occurred to me a few times lately … we are still listening to music made 50 - 60 years ago, it’s still meaningful and still gives us joy. Imagine, in 1963, anyone happily listening to music from 1903! We’re lucky to have had them this long, lucky to have formed communities like IORR. Folks were in floods of tears after the last show at the O2 in 2007 thinking we’d witnessed The End, and someday (past or future) we will have. Be grateful for the ride, and hopeful for the future. They’ll always be there in some form. Meanwhile, may have to change my avatar…

You're right ! That was one hell of a tour, 2005/2006/2007. And then - they made us wait until 2012, but what a ride it's been ever since then ! More than we could have wished for ...

They have given in spades ...

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: April 18, 2023 14:33

no

but i'm waiting for ronnie to do some interviews

i'm sure his loose lips will let something slipwinking smiley

Posted by: onestep ()
Date: April 18, 2023 15:06

The fans didn't even deserve the official El Mocambo release --

Date: April 18, 2023 15:07

ProfessorWolf
no

thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up grinning smiley grinning smiley grinning smiley

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: April 18, 2023 15:10

ProfessorWolf
no

LOL! I remember Ron mentioning the Stones were playing 2000 Light Years From Home in MTV interviews before the tour started back in 1989.

Anyway, there's nothing to announce. When they have a tour to announce, they will announce it.

Do they owe fans some sort of explanation? NO, that would take away some of the 'thunder' of the upcoming tour announcement. The headlines should come when the tour is launched. Consider yourself fortunate that our fearless leader b. v. has some inside information he shares with us.

It is what it is, and will be what it will be. It'll happen when it happens.

Maybe we can spend some effort in telling the Stones what they should be doing while we're waiting for a tour or tour suggestions? Mick reads IORR.

My suggestion is to record my songs. I understand the 'new' album is finished. I suggest doing more recordings as we saw in the Stripped TV special. Play songs and record them. People have said the Stones are the world's greatest cover band (among other complimentary things). Record 100 cover songs and see what sticks. We can never get enough of the Rolling Stones! They are truly special.

Date: April 18, 2023 15:11

onestep
The fans didn't even deserve the official El Mocambo release --
Not even Mother Theresa deserves something this good.

Posted by: onestep ()
Date: April 18, 2023 15:14

[/quote]
I suggest doing more recordings as we saw in the Stripped TV special. Play songs and record them. People have said the Stones are the world's greatest cover band (among other complimentary things). Record 100 cover songs and see what sticks. We can never get enough of the Rolling Stones! They are truly special.[/quote]

Now that would be great, especially when they play them how I like my scrambled eggs --- loose

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: April 18, 2023 15:29

If they owe us a reason for NOT touring, a few bands owe us a reason FOR touring (other than the obvious...money).

The Eagles and Steely Dan with 1 founding member, Lynyrd Skynyrd with zero original members, etc.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: April 18, 2023 15:31

Bjorn
Yes. Every relationship needs healthy communication. But if you are satisfied with not knowing - good for you. I´m not.

Any relationship is completely imaginary on your part and is likely not healthy.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1451
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home