Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Who is Better Harmonica player?
Posted by: pftw04 ()
Date: April 7, 2023 06:10

Mick Jagger or Roger Daltrey. I would say both are parallel

Re: Who is Better Harmonica player?
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 7, 2023 06:23

OFFS.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: April 7, 2023 07:49

Before I reveal my opinion on whether it’s Mick or Roger, I’ll have tot back, contemplate, and give this the serious thought it so deserves. Hmm… Mick, or Roger?

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: April 7, 2023 14:33

Brian Jones

Date: April 7, 2023 15:06

There is no doubt about this.

Taylor1
Brian Jones

Posted by: Kingbeebuzz ()
Date: April 7, 2023 18:34

I believe Jagger learned much from Brian Jones in the very early days.
Before the Stones, Brian also gave a few tips to Paul Jones who later became the President of the UK harmonica society.
I was told this personally by Paul Jones.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: April 7, 2023 18:37

Where as I think I have a reasonable idea as to what performances feature Brian’s harp and which feature Mick’s (1963-‘68), but does anyone have a list compiled?

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: April 7, 2023 18:48

Mick all the way. Maybe Brian from early on. Brian couldn’t never do what Mick does live on Midnight Rambler. Brian stopped development a few years before he passed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-04-07 18:56 by More Hot Rocks.

Posted by: Kingbeebuzz ()
Date: April 7, 2023 18:49

Correction to my previous post.........Paul Jones is President of the National Harmonica League. He has also been named player of the year at least three times and played harmonica as a session musician......he’s very very good and some of that came from BJ.

BJ and Keith Richards also asked Paul Jones to be lead singer when BJ was forming the Stones....but he turned them down.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 7, 2023 18:58

Kingbeebuzz
Before the Stones, Brian also gave a few tips to Paul Jones who later became the President of the UK harmonica society.

The harmonica is not an instrument that you can learn from other people, there's not a lot of tips or examples you can give. You really need to practice by playing along with records. It's fairly easy to get to a level you can play along with standard blues tunes, but it is really, really difficult to get beyond that, in my own experience.

Brian was in his early days by far the best harmonica player in Europe. It was the one instrument he truly mastered.

Mathijs

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: April 7, 2023 20:08

Mathijs
Kingbeebuzz

The harmonica is not an instrument that you can learn from other people, there's not a lot of tips or examples you can give. You really need to practice by playing along with records. It's fairly easy to get to a level you can play along with standard blues tunes, but it is really, really difficult to get beyond that, in my own experience.

Brian was in his early days by far the best harmonica player in Europe. It was the one instrument he truly mastered.

Mathijs

Absolutely wrong. There are countless harmonica teachers. You can learn through private lessons and/or a good YouTube instructor. There is nothing better than sitting down with a good harmonica player to show you the ins and outs of the harmonica. And you get beyond the basics by the usual way. Practice and practice just like everything else in life.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: April 8, 2023 00:35

Big Al
Where as I think I have a reasonable idea as to what performances feature Brian’s harp and which feature Mick’s (1963-‘68), but does anyone have a list compiled?

Don't know if there's a list but you can check Nico's site to see who played on what songs. Some of Brian's playing includes Diddley Daddy, Not Fade Away, 2120 SMA, Look What You Done and Going Home.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: April 8, 2023 00:43

Mathijs
Kingbeebuzz

Mathijs

Your correct Mathijs, my mother born in 1915 could play the harmonica perfectly, what ever she showed how to play I never get it ....probably a tongue issue that I didn't get

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: April 8, 2023 00:48

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 8, 2023 02:28

More Hot Rocks
Mick all the way. Maybe Brian from early on. Brian couldn’t never do what Mick does live on Midnight Rambler. Brian stopped development a few years before he passed

Exactly. Brian came out blazing and petered out. His harmonica playing, like a lot of his playing, was hypnotic and haunting. Mick took that and kept going with it until he reached a level beyond Brian. Of course Brian pretty much let his guitar playing lapse too, except for chugging along with a few chords on rhythm as time went on. They all advanced mightily on their instruments, except Brian. He could come up with a little something on a recorder or a mellotron, but he didn't master anything. Slide guitar, his greatest skill, appeared to come easy to him, which is maybe why it bored him. Still amazing he pulled off No Expectations.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 8, 2023 14:47

More Hot Rocks
Mathijs
Kingbeebuzz

Mathijs

Absolutely wrong. There are countless harmonica teachers. You can learn through private lessons and/or a good YouTube instructor. There is nothing better than sitting down with a good harmonica player to show you the ins and outs of the harmonica. And you get beyond the basics by the usual way. Practice and practice just like everything else in life.

This is just wrong. Because the harmonica is enclosed in and behind your hands, and most of the technique is out of sight as you play with your lips and the way you position the harmonica to your mouth, there really isn't much to show. It's not like with a guitar where you can teach proper body, arm and hand positions, and chord positions by simply showing it.

Mathijs

Date: April 8, 2023 21:53

Mathijs
More Hot Rocks
Mathijs
Kingbeebuzz

Mathijs

This is just wrong. Because the harmonica is enclosed in and behind your hands, and most of the technique is out of sight as you play with your lips and the way you position the harmonica to your mouth, there really isn't much to show. It's not like with a guitar where you can teach proper body, arm and hand positions, and chord positions by simply showing it.

Mathijs

The blues harmonica is different from the chromatic harmonica, as Brian pointed out in the video that His Majesty posted. I like both.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: April 12, 2023 23:36

Back in the 60s, it was Brian.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1884
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home