Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Mick’s most astonishing vocal performance?
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 5, 2023 19:13

Nice to see quite many acknowledging Jagger's great vocal performances on BLUE & LONESOME. To me he really outdo any expectations I had of his singing capabilities there. Probably most convincing stuff he has done since the incredible B-side of TATTOO YOU (that truely is a Jagger show), although there've been many great moments along the years, for sure. But a great latter-day peak. I would say that it was his singing that actually made B&L so distinctive. The band could have been 'just another great blues band', but Jagger put an unique stamp on it, making it sound different than any other blues album.

But what goes for truely highlight performances from the legendary days, there are so many of them that I need to give them some thought. But nice to read the examples people give here. My mind goes like 'yeah, true that one as well. And that one..'smiling smiley

As a rock singer screaming his lungs out I think the fast stuff on EXILE is his peak. "Rocks Off", "Rip This Joint", etc. Some mind-blowing performances there. I don't think his voice never been that strong as it was there.

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2023-04-05 19:18 by Doxa.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 5, 2023 19:40

Off the top of my head - Sympathy.

From the opening demonic grunts and growls, to the eloquent almost spoken words of the first parts of the tune, to the screeching, yelping, and howling during the latter parts of the tune, Sympathy has it all.

And then there's Gimme Shelter. And Brown Sugar. Tumbling Dice. And many more that rank very high. And can't forget Stoned - even though there's minimal vocals, one of my all time favorites.

Posted by: souldoggie ()
Date: April 5, 2023 19:55

Two of my favorites:

All Down The Line
Sway

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: April 5, 2023 21:59

...." followoing the river" on EOMS double...

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 5, 2023 23:17

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-04-05 23:37 by Stoneage.

Posted by: LovingCupola ()
Date: April 5, 2023 23:36

Long Black Veil with The Chieftains

Posted by: josepi ()
Date: April 5, 2023 23:48

No Use in Crying. Coulda been a great live one.

Posted by: tommyturbo76 ()
Date: April 6, 2023 01:16

"Laugh I Nearly Died" on Bigger Bang.. obscure but I sure noticed his vocals

Posted by: Tumlin73 ()
Date: April 6, 2023 01:20

drewmaster
In spite of his 60 years of worldwide fame, I think Mick is actually UNDER-appreciated by the general public when it comes to his abilities as a singer.

If you had to pick ONE studio track with Mick’s most jaw-droppingly amazing vocal performance, what would it be?

For me, at the moment at least, I would choose “All Your Love” from the Blue & Lonesome disc. Possibly the most stunning vocal performance ever recorded. Especially given that this is a 72-year-old singer. Unbelievable.

Drew

I’ve always also thought how much he is under appreciated by a lot of the public tbh.
So many songs obviously, memory motel, moonlight mile, sister morphine.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: April 6, 2023 01:58

All of side 2 of Tattoo you incredible. Let it Loose, Winter, Sway, Moonlight Mile to name a few.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 6, 2023 02:55

ProfessorWolf
this is not something i can easily answer but without giving it much thought the two that spring immediately to mind are

i don't know why

and

watching the river flow

I thought his vocal on that song was pretty much a career low point. Totally over the top. Recorded during that period where he seemed to be oversinging almost everything

'Let It Loose' is his high watermark as a vocalist IMO

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: April 6, 2023 03:31

Let it Loose, for sure. There’s a passion and emotion in that song he never reached on record again. A Lightening in a bottle type vocal take.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 6, 2023 04:24

liddas
Easier to list Mick's "lame" vocal performances ... are there any?

Look no further than his solo material where there are quite a few whoppers, but if we're sticking with Stones, there's several from the "nasal era"/"over-enunciated era" that come to mind.
Not a fan of his singing on Plundered, nor Watching the River Flow, nor Biggest Mistake, nor Streets of Love, nor most of the ABB album, nor the Stripped version of Wild Horses, nor this nor that.
But all that lameness aside, he's one of the greatest vocalists/frontmen ever in the history of rock and roll - for sure the greatest frontman!

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: April 6, 2023 04:48

I Ain't Signifying is absolutely brilliant

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: April 6, 2023 06:13

Gazza
ProfessorWolf
this is not something i can easily answer but without giving it much thought the two that spring immediately to mind are

i don't know why

and

watching the river flow

I thought his vocal on that song was pretty much a career low point. Totally over the top. Recorded during that period where he seemed to be oversinging almost everything

I agree 100%. I was shocked that anyone would rank that as one of his best.

Here's my quote from a post I did about the song back in 2016:

The problem is that Mick literally phoned this in. He over-sings with an intensity dialed up to "11." If he had modeled his performance after Bob's laid-back, breezy approach it would have been much, much better.

Had he been in the same room when the track was recorded, I'm sure that the other Stones would have suggested that he ease up. Plus the whole idea that the Stones were back together playing with Bill "for Stu" was really undermined by him not actually being there.

His vocals ruin the whole thing

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 6, 2023 08:01

Mick really came into "his own" with UNDERCOVER.

The last album of Mick singing with himself. Great work.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: April 6, 2023 09:06

loog droog
Gazza
ProfessorWolf

i don't know why

and

watching the river flow

I agree 100%. I was shocked that anyone would rank that as one of his best.

Here's my quote from a post I did about the song back in 2016:

The problem is that Mick literally phoned this in. He over-sings with an intensity dialed up to "11." If he had modeled his performance after Bob's laid-back, breezy approach it would have been much, much better.

Had he been in the same room when the track was recorded, I'm sure that the other Stones would have suggested that he ease up. Plus the whole idea that the Stones were back together playing with Bill "for Stu" was really undermined by him not actually being there.

His vocals ruin the whole thing

glad i can shock yougrinning smiley

seriously though in the part of my post that isn't quoted above i did mention that these are probably not very objective examples but just what sprung into my head at the moment

but i can see how wtrf is perhaps not the best example of mick singing

it just holds a special place for me because it was the first new song the stones released after i became a fan

however with more thought i'd keep i don't know but also add

commit a crime

one hit

let it loose

angie

shine a light

ain't no use in crying

heaven

down home girl
(not his best but god i love how he sings it)

you got the silver (mick version)

and to shock you again i genuinely love his singing on pass the wine

but keep in mind if i was asked to choose 11 of micks best songs tomorrow i'd probably choose another 11 different songs

he's so good i find it almost impossible to just choose a couple and stick with it

every time i listen to him i find something new in his voice that i hadn't noticed before

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2023-04-06 09:17 by ProfessorWolf.

Posted by: TravellinMan ()
Date: April 6, 2023 09:25

I keep going back to his b side Blue and the guest vocal with U2 of Stuck in a Moment.

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: April 6, 2023 10:05

Time waits for no one

As for the live performances I doappreciate the 1971 and the 1973 tours.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 6, 2023 10:38

ProfessorWolf

Terrible thing imo... so terrible that I suspect Mick flunked it deliberately to make way for Keith’s version on LIB.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: April 6, 2023 11:39

dcba
ProfessorWolf

Terrible thing imo... so terrible that I suspect Mick flunked it deliberately to make way for Keith’s version on LIB.

agree to disagree there

and yes keith's version is far superior

Posted by: olympia ()
Date: April 6, 2023 12:56

My top three:

- Let it loose
- Sympathy
- Angie

Posted by: Kingbeebuzz ()
Date: April 6, 2023 13:30

.......Stoned

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: April 6, 2023 14:35

Jagger's singing on "Stripped" and "Stripped Companion" is outstanding. During the tour of 81/82 he had great nights - and nights which were not great at all. "Winter" and "Moonlight Mile" are sung very well. On "Tattoo You" Jagger is great, even if I always disliked the falsetto on "WAY".

Posted by: kevinkamphuis ()
Date: April 6, 2023 15:07

For me it's his live vocal performance in 1969 with Gimme Shelter. Stunning!

Pop Go the Sixties 1969
[youtu.be]

Oakland 1969
[youtu.be]

Posted by: stonerolling ()
Date: April 6, 2023 16:38

Blue and Lonesome is a phenomenal performance. For anyone, let alone a 72 Yr old.
I get chills listening to that track with MJs delivery.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: April 6, 2023 21:50

I agree with Gazza that " Let It Loose" is Mick's very best vocal performance EVER! There are dozens of others that may come close like " That's How Strong My Love Is" live but as far as letting it all out, it has to be " Let It Loose".

Date: April 6, 2023 22:07

Worried About You.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: April 6, 2023 22:27

Let it loose.

Date: April 6, 2023 22:37

To me Jagger is one of the most soulful singers in his chosen field, a self-made man who has "the blue note". You cannot miss it.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1972
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home