Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Newman Jones Rosewood Tele on eBay
Posted by: Koen ()
Date: April 1, 2023 20:48

Haven't seen this pop up here yet. You can buy a Rosewood Tele used and signed by Keith on eBay. Starting bid $7.5 million...

[www.ebay.com]

From the description:

Scarce Keith Richards' custom-made guitar, used by Richards in the recording sessions for "Some Girls", on the Rolling Stones 1978 tour in support of the album, and also in the music videos, signed and inscribed by Richards: "To Doc, Love & Prescriptions / Keith Richards". Guitar was custom-made for Richards by his go-to luthier Ted Newman Jones, whose mother-of-pearl inset on the back of the guitar reads "N 77", indicating the year it was made, shortly before the recording sessions for "Some Girls" in October 1977 where Richards used this guitar. Richards also used the guitar on the Stones 1978 tour, where it can be seen in "Some Girls: Live in Texas '78", and on the music videos "Miss You" and "Far Away Eyes".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-07-25 13:42 by bv.

Re: Newman Jones Rosewood Tele on eBay...
Posted by: JMARCOU ()
Date: April 1, 2023 21:24

This ad has been on ebay for years.

Date: April 1, 2023 21:26

JMARCOU

I bet the shipping costs are too high then...

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: April 1, 2023 21:56

Koen
JMARCOU

I bet the shipping costs are too high then...

Free returns.

Keith Richards signed guitar for $7,500,000
Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: July 24, 2023 20:11

Scarce Keith Richards' custom-made guitar, used by Richards in the recording sessions for "Some Girls", on the Rolling Stones 1978 tour in support of the album, and also in the music videos, signed and inscribed by Richards: "To Doc, Love & Prescriptions / Keith Richards". Guitar was custom-made for Richards by his go-to luthier Ted Newman Jones, whose mother-of-pearl inset on the back of the guitar reads "N 77", indicating the year it was made, shortly before the recording sessions for "Some Girls" in October 1977 where Richards used this guitar. Richards also used the guitar on the Stones 1978 tour, where it can be seen in "Some Girls: Live in Texas '78", and on the music videos "Miss You" and "Far Away Eyes".

Richards is photographed holding the guitar in "Rolling Stones Gear: All the Stones' Instruments from Stage to Studio" by Andy Babiuk and Greg Prevost, and guitar is further accompanied by a Letter of Authenticity by Babiuk who writes at length about it, giving the history of the guitar. Letter reads in part, "This instrument was a guitar that Newman built for Keith copying the style of a Fender Telecaster body and using an actual Fender Telecaster Rosewood Model neck…Keith used the guitar as Newman originally built it for the Rolling Stones Some Girls recordings, video and on the 1978 Some Girls tour." He continues with the history of the guitar, "In 1981, The Who's guitar tech Alan Rogan started working with the Stones…Rogan had David Schecter build a Telecaster body made of rosewood and took the neck off the Newman Custom Built Telecaster and made a new Rosewood Telecaster guitar for Keith to use on the tour. The Newman built 'Telecaster style' body was given to Schecter who fitted it with a Fender Tele style neck and a new bridge / pickup assembly." At that time, David Schecter owned Schecter Guitar Research, and sold the guitar to the subsequent owner, a radio station executive to whom Richards inscribed the guitar. In addition to the above information, guitar has a maple neck with rosewood fretboard, Schecter bridge, original equipment manufactured tuners, wood pickguard, three-way selector switch, and strap locks. Housed in later case.

Guitar is accompanied by "Rolling Stones Gear" where the guitar is written about at length and pictured several times. Also accompanied by a COA from Roger Epperson for Keith's signature, and by several COAs from Resolution Photomatching, exactly matching the guitar to the Stones 26 July 1978 concert in Texas, and to the videos "Miss You" and "Far Away Eyes". One of the very few guitars used by Richards with the Stones ever to be sold.

[www.ebay.com]

Re: Keith Richards signed guitar for $7,500,000
Date: July 24, 2023 20:23

More here: [iorr.org]

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: July 24, 2023 20:59

I love Keith too, but come on. Jimi's Woodstock guitar is a steal in comparison and a lot more important in my opinion.

Date: July 24, 2023 21:18

frankotero
I love Keith too, but come on. Jimi's Woodstock guitar is a steal in comparison and a lot more important in my opinion.

Didn't Frank Zappa take care of Jimi's Woodstock guitar ?

Date: July 24, 2023 21:51

I think you mean his "Monterey" guitar.

Date: July 24, 2023 22:01

Come to think of it where's the guy that knows everything Hendrix? Think he's French? I always liked his posts, hope he's okay.

Posted by: dadrob ()
Date: July 24, 2023 22:02

That FZ guitar is in the hands of collector with the understanding that it is being played and will go back the Zappa family ( not sure if that means the trust or what). I have a friend whose band leader has that guitar.

Date: July 24, 2023 22:11

dadrob
That FZ guitar is in the hands of collector with the understanding that it is being played and will go back the Zappa family ( not sure if that means the trust or what). I have a friend whose band leader has that guitar.

I thought Dweezil played it several times. That trust turned into a feud if I remember it well.

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: July 24, 2023 23:46

There's an Ampeg SVT and cab from the Stones' 1969 tour on sale in TN for $9500 usd on Facebook. Used to belong to a guy named John Powell who worked as a musician and dj in the early 70's. Said he bought it at Manny's in New York after the tour.

(sorry can't post FB links)

Date: July 25, 2023 00:29

Like this?

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: July 25, 2023 08:50

Don't you have to be signed up with FB to open the links, tho? I guess a lot of people are on FB, but I try not to be an exclusionist.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-07-25 11:20 by mosthigh.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 25, 2023 11:27

spikenyc

Richards is photographed holding the guitar in "Rolling Stones Gear: All the Stones' Instruments from Stage to Studio" by Andy Babiuk and Greg Prevost, and guitar is further accompanied by a Letter of Authenticity by Babiuk who writes at length about it, giving the history of the guitar. Letter reads in part, "This instrument was a guitar that Newman built for Keith copying the style of a Fender Telecaster body and using an actual Fender Telecaster Rosewood Model neck…Keith used the guitar as Newman originally built it for the Rolling Stones Some Girls recordings, video and on the 1978 Some Girls tour." He continues with the history of the guitar, "In 1981, The Who's guitar tech Alan Rogan started working with the Stones…Rogan had David Schecter build a Telecaster body made of rosewood and took the neck off the Newman Custom Built Telecaster and made a new Rosewood Telecaster guitar for Keith to use on the tour. The Newman built 'Telecaster style' body was given to Schecter who fitted it with a Fender Tele style neck and a new bridge / pickup assembly." At that time, David Schecter owned Schecter Guitar Research, and sold the guitar to the subsequent owner, a radio station executive to whom Richards inscribed the guitar. In addition to the above information, guitar has a maple neck with rosewood fretboard, Schecter bridge, original equipment manufactured tuners, wood pickguard, three-way selector switch, and strap locks. Housed in later case.

Guitar is accompanied by "Rolling Stones Gear" where the guitar is written about at length and pictured several times. Also accompanied by a COA from Roger Epperson for Keith's signature, and by several COAs from Resolution Photomatching, exactly matching the guitar to the Stones 26 July 1978 concert in Texas, and to the videos "Miss You" and "Far Away Eyes". One of the very few guitars used by Richards with the Stones ever to be sold.

[www.ebay.com]

Totally ridiculous for a a body alone, which was replaced because it was very badly made with the string holes in the wrong place so it couldn't intonate properly. Keith loved the 1969 Fender neck, not the body.

Mathijs

Date: July 25, 2023 13:23

mosthigh
There's an Ampeg SVT and cab from the Stones' 1969 tour on sale in TN for $9500 usd on Facebook. Used to belong to a guy named John Powell who worked as a musician and dj in the early 70's. Said he bought it at Manny's in New York after the tour.

(sorry can't post FB links)

mosthigh
Don't you have to be signed up with FB to open the links, tho? I guess a lot of people are on FB, but I try not to be an exclusionist.

Enjoy cool smiley

Re: Newman Jones Rosewood Tele on eBay
Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 25, 2023 15:04

Could they make a racket !

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1889
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home