Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Bill Wyman songwriting credit for "Satisfaction"?
Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: March 24, 2023 20:17

Should Bill Wyman have gotten a songwriting credit for The Rolling Stones (I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction?

[www.yahoo.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-25 15:44 by bv.

Re: Should Bill Wyman have gotten a songwriting credit for The Rolling Stones (I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction?
Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: March 24, 2023 20:23

I don’t know, but he should have for JJ Flash

Re: Should Bill Wyman have gotten a songwriting credit for The Rolling Stones (I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction?
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 24, 2023 20:30

Nope.

- Doxa

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: March 24, 2023 21:14

No

Date: March 24, 2023 21:20

Did Bill ever complain about it?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 24, 2023 21:29

No but he did during the Exile daze ....

"I hated leaving England," Wyman reminisces.
"You had to import Bird's custard, Branston pickle
and piccalilli... you had to buy PG Tips and then deal with the French milk."

ROCKMAN

Date: March 24, 2023 21:29

TheflyingDutchman

Actually yes. Or sort of. If I recall right it was the mentioned example in STONE ALONE - or somewhere - that he thinks a whole band credit a'la Nanker Phelge had been appropriate.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-24 21:31 by Doxa.

Date: March 24, 2023 21:44

Isn't The Gomper a Bill song?

Date: March 24, 2023 21:59

In another land I believe.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-24 23:38 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 25, 2023 01:06

Please correct me if I'm wrong, which I know someone graciously will, but didn't Bill and Charlie have like five-percent each or something similar of Jagger/Richards? Bill supposedly negotiated it and Charlie, grateful, gave him a painting for doing so.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-25 09:53 by 24FPS.

Date: March 25, 2023 03:24

Doxa
TheflyingDutchman

Actually yes. Or sort of. If I recall right it was the mentioned example in STONE ALONE - or somewhere - that he thinks a whole band credit a'la Nanker Phelge had been appropriate.

- Doxa

Actually, what I wrote is total bullshit. Pardon on me. For some reason I was thinking "Paint It Black" here. Never recall Bill saying anything about something being wrong with the credition of "Satisfaction". Only that Mick and Keith were against releasing it as a single A-side unlike the rest.

- Doxa

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: March 25, 2023 12:14

He claims he came up with the riff for JJ Flash after jamming with Brian and Charlie.Also said Paint it Black should have been a group composition. I find it interesting how U2 gives group credits to their songs.Obviously it must be one person who is the dominant writer of the song

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: March 25, 2023 14:53

Warren and His Fugitives might deserve credit...

keithumb
check this link out

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 25, 2023 15:02

Satisfaction was written in spring 1965, recorded in May, released in June in USA.

The World Ain't Changed was released in August 1965.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: March 25, 2023 15:06

His Majesty
Satisfaction was written in spring 1965, recorded in May, released in June in USA.

The drummer has claimed they performed it live around LA (where Satisfaction was recorded) before Satisfaction and that a performance was broadcast on the radio. No hard proof of that but who knows... the fact that The Last Time was lifted from a gospel song gives the theory some credibility...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-25 15:08 by Send It To me.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: March 25, 2023 15:11

All that article talks about is how Bill's bass lines enhanced the song. He basically plays the riff, but with a slight delay after Keith which gives it a great wobble.

Not sure how that justifies songwriting credits.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: March 25, 2023 15:30

No.

Bill contributed to the development of Satisfaction by playing the bass riff that is the foundation of the song.
However, he did not write the lyrics or the melody, which were both written by Keith Richards and Mick Jagger.
Ultimately, the decision of whether or not to give Bill Wyman a songwriting credit for Satisfaction is up to the Rolling Stones.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: March 25, 2023 18:10

Taylor1
I don’t know, but he should have for JJ Flash
Nope, that was Keith. (yes, i'm aware of wyman's claim in his book)

Date: March 25, 2023 18:28

Doxa
Doxa
TheflyingDutchman

- Doxa

Actually, what I wrote is total bullshit. Pardon on me. For some reason I was thinking "Paint It Black" here. Never recall Bill saying anything about something being wrong with the credition of "Satisfaction". Only that Mick and Keith were against releasing it as a single A-side unlike the rest.

- Doxa

That's funny; I also had Paint it black in mind. smiling smiley
Probably because of his tastefull basslines.

"If you don't c sharp you'll b flat". - Muhammad Ali.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-25 18:42 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 25, 2023 18:31

Send It To me
His Majesty

The drummer has claimed they performed it live around LA (where Satisfaction was recorded) before Satisfaction and that a performance was broadcast on the radio. No hard proof of that but who knows... the fact that The Last Time was lifted from a gospel song gives the theory some credibility...

Well we certainly now know where Mick stole his swaggering singing style from. Shameless!

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: March 25, 2023 19:03

Send It To me

keithumb
check this link out

Ha! Well that’s embarrassing. Wonder if Mr. Phelge paid them off on the down low.

Date: March 25, 2023 19:34

TravelinMan
Send It To me

keithumb
check this link out

Ha! Well that’s embarrassing. Wonder if Mr. Phelge paid them off on the down low.

Similar vocal line and same key. Claim. smoking smiley

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: March 25, 2023 20:11

TheflyingDutchman
TravelinMan
Send It To me

keithumb
check this link out

This song was released after Satisfaction not before

Date: March 25, 2023 20:30

More Hot Rocks
TheflyingDutchman
TravelinMan
Send It To me

keithumb
check this link out

This song was released after Satisfaction not before

According to the drummer they played it a hundred times before the Stones released it. Is there not a grain of humor in your brains? Who cares man, it's 58 years ago.? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Re: Bill Wyman songwriting credit for "Satisfaction"?
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: March 25, 2023 20:40

What on earth are the chances that Keith heard this?? This is the thing: there’s only so many chords; so many melodies. What a coincidence. I do think it’s an OK song.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: March 25, 2023 20:42

Who is this Bill Wyman anyway? Isn't he the guy who says he had had more chicks than Mick and Keith? grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-25 20:49 by slewan.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: March 25, 2023 21:00

The question should be:Why isn't he credited on Jamming with Edward as Charlie,Cooder and Hopkins?

Date: March 25, 2023 21:08

Big Al
What on earth are the chances that Keith heard this?? This is the thing: there’s only so many chords; so many melodies. What a coincidence. I do think it’s an OK song.

It's not a coincidence besides the guitar riff. Almost copy and paste. Very likely the Stones came first.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 25, 2023 21:41

Big Al

'ang on. Are you saying that the riff that came to Keith in a dream was likely him in a semi-conscious state of sleep when some song came on the radio, tellin' him more and more, about "The World Ain't Changed" by Warden & His Fugitives??

I'll buy that.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 25, 2023 22:15

It wasn't until I began hearing Satisfaction on something better than a mono car speaker that I understood Bill's contribution to the song. Bill is a counterpoint to Keith's riff. The song simply isn't as potent without that bass line.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1667
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home