Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Keith Richards and Expensive Winos
Posted by: pftw04 ()
Date: March 23, 2023 15:34

All the 3 albums of Keith Richards are great. The guitars and vocal wise its rocking. However, the drumming was too loud. But otherwise its great. Had it continued, Expensive winos might have been a great band, barring the drum. Its too loud whoever played it

Re: Keith Richards and Expensive Winos
Posted by: mrfancyman ()
Date: March 23, 2023 16:05

I liked the drumming spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: March 23, 2023 16:24

pftw04
All the 3 albums of Keith Richards are great. The guitars and vocal wise its rocking. However, the drumming was too loud. But otherwise its great. Had it continued, Expensive winos might have been a great band, barring the drum. Its too loud whoever played it

The drummer is Steve Jordan, current Stones drummer.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: March 23, 2023 16:45

pftw04

that's the risk you run if you let a drummer produce the album…

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 23, 2023 17:37

Keith probably wanted to hire a talented, reliable - read : no drugs addiction allowed - drummer.
And on top of it someone who didn't sound like Charlie at all to avoid any boring comparisons with Keith's old band.

Hence Jordan. The nice surprise is the guy could write music too.

Posted by: ribbelchips ()
Date: March 23, 2023 17:50

Not a fan of the drumming on Keith's solo records either. Especially on Main Offender.

On a song like 'Hate it when you leave' it's way, WAY too present. Even get's me on my nerves. It's so much better on Crosseyed Heart..

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: March 23, 2023 18:55

This is an interesting thread: I listened to "TIC" and "MO" for thousands of times, I loved both albums;,by now the love is not that strong anymore. The Winos certainly had their moments, but I think their potential was limited. They started running out of ideas on the second album, which is rather early. Of course they could have put out "Running to Deep reloaded" or "Will but You won't part 2"; yet I am not sure if they would have filled the halls through the nineties with "Bodytalks" or "Rockawhile". Some riffs and groove of theirs remain unique and great.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-23 19:02 by windmelody.

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: March 23, 2023 22:22

...speaking of "too loud drumming" the record of the world was the "Wingless angels "disc with Keith...!

Posted by: Fernandobsas ()
Date: March 23, 2023 22:36

Love all the Keef's albums, the only bad thing about them is that the Stones do not play this songs in their shows.

Bye
Fernando

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: March 23, 2023 23:59

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-24 02:02 by Koen.

Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: March 24, 2023 17:10

I think the Palladium concert is the best way to enjoy the Winos. Great tracklist and production.

Date: March 24, 2023 17:13

WorriedAboutYou
I think the Palladium concert is the best way to enjoy the Winos. Great tracklist and production.

The official London-show is pretty good, too, but I agree – the Palladium-show is fantastic.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: March 24, 2023 18:44

windmelody
This is an interesting thread: I listened to "TIC" and "MO" for thousands of times, I loved both albums;,by now the love is not that strong anymore. The Winos certainly had their moments, but I think their potential was limited. They started running out of ideas on the second album, which is rather early.
(…)

problem was that Keith kept his better songs/ideas for his other other band – can't remember their name though grinning smiley

Posted by: Dorn ()
Date: March 24, 2023 19:30

ribbelchips

On a song like 'Hate it when you leave' it's way, WAY too present. Even get's me on my nerves.

without exactly that drumming this song would by far not be what it is - a great tune

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: March 24, 2023 19:42

Bodytalks - maybe not the song of that year...Are the drums too loud? Never thought about it. But the snare is very "flat" sounding.Jamaica. So it stands out, for sure...Crosseyed heart was much warmer, in that regard.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: March 24, 2023 22:51

pftw04

Yes, the loud drumming was strange and took some time to get used to. For example in "Hate It When You Leave". But I have grown to like it. And yes, all of his solo-albums are great. Not as great as the greatest of the Stones albums, but definitely much more enjoyable, interesting and good fun than any Stones' albums from the past 40 years or so (apart from a few gems on them here and there, among which some are Keith's songs anyway). I find it a great pity that he didn't make more of them. Maybe he will do one more? (I doubt it but one can hope.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-24 22:54 by matxil.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: March 24, 2023 22:51

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-24 22:53 by matxil.

Posted by: stoneskid ()
Date: March 24, 2023 23:54

I agree I never liked Jordan’s drumming with Keith especially live. I was worried it would carryover to the stones but I was surprised to really enjoying his drumming on the last tour. Different than Charlie’s but mostly acceptable (expect for paint it black).

Posted by: RaiseTheKnife ()
Date: March 24, 2023 23:56

I think Steve's style of drumming was perfect for Keith's solo efforts.

With the Stones he's not a good match, their sound is now broken and lacks all that swing and roll. I'm sure many other drummers would've blended more nicely into the Stones sound so it's unfortunate that Steve's friendship with Keith made him the first option.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: March 25, 2023 02:43

matxil
pftw04

Yes, the loud drumming was strange and took some time to get used to. For example in "Hate It When You Leave". But I have grown to like it. And yes, all of his solo-albums are great. Not as great as the greatest of the Stones albums, but definitely much more enjoyable, interesting and good fun than any Stones' albums from the past 40 years or so (apart from a few gems on them here and there, among which some are Keith's songs anyway). I find it a great pity that he didn't make more of them. Maybe he will do one more? (I doubt it but one can hope.)

i don't know about that with keith and steve working so closely lately writing new music for the stones

it seems at least fairly plausible that they could end up coming up with material that wouldn't work with the stones but would with the winos

these rejected ideas could form the foundations for a new winos album sometime in the future

sorta like how just because became trouble on crosseyed heart

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 25, 2023 06:07

RaiseTheKnife
I think Steve's style of drumming was perfect for Keith's solo efforts.

With the Stones he's not a good match, their sound is now broken and lacks all that swing and roll. I'm sure many other drummers would've blended more nicely into the Stones sound so it's unfortunate that Steve's friendship with Keith made him the first option.

Very well said. thumbs up

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: March 26, 2023 04:49

I love the drumming on Main Offender, but then I also think it's Keef's strongest album, and on par with Voodoo....Really it's the kid brother.

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: March 29, 2023 04:17

Love all the Keef's albums, the only bad thing about them is that the Stones do not play this songs in their shows.

WORD !!!!

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: March 29, 2023 06:49

"The drums were quite loud" was Mick's criticism of Talk Is Cheap, if I recall correctly.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: March 29, 2023 10:56

Keith & The Winos knocked me out of my seat in the Ahoy in Rotterdam, I went to a higher place to dance the whole concert, what a sound!

Posted by: ribbelchips ()
Date: March 29, 2023 12:00

Send It To me
"The drums were quite loud" was Mick's criticism of Talk Is Cheap, if I recall correctly.

So they made them even louder on Main Offender I quess grinning smiley

Why weren't the studio albums released under the name (Keith Richards and the) X-Pensive Winos, by the way?

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 29, 2023 12:17

DandelionPowderman
WorriedAboutYou

The official London-show is pretty good, too, but I agree – the Palladium-show is fantastic.

The London show is excellent, especially as the snare is mixed a little lower than on other recordings. Still frigging loud though.

Mathijs

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: March 29, 2023 15:50

Mathijs
DandelionPowderman
WorriedAboutYou

The London show is excellent, especially as the snare is mixed a little lower than on other recordings. Still frigging loud though.

Mathijs

The Palladium 1988, double blue vinyls, A Stone Alone, sounds great for a boot

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 29, 2023 17:12

ribbelchips

Why weren't the studio albums released under the name (Keith Richards and the) X-Pensive Winos, by the way?

For the same commercial reason why the covers only feature close-up photos of Keith: this is nothing but a Keith Richards solo album, folks. The X-Pensive Winos is a footnote there and one that would only harm the commercial value of the product if too much stressed. Some no-commercial live album is attributed to them, but otherwise it only exists in talks (and we know what TALK is is like). They were Keith's solo band or a group of musicians he played with in his solo projects that he likes to call with a funny name. But let's be honest and forget romantics here: it was all about maestro Keith. His ego trip, if we like.

- Doxa

Date: March 29, 2023 17:19

Doxa
ribbelchips

For the same commercial reason why the covers only feature close-up photos of Keith: this is nothing but a Keith Richards solo album, folks. The X-Pensive Winos is a footnote there and one that would only harm the commercial value of the product if too much stressed. Some no-commercial live album is attributed to them, but otherwise it only exists in talks (and we know what TALK is is like). They were Keith's solo band or a group of musicians he played with in his solo projects that he likes to call with a funny name. But let's be honest and forget romantics here: it was all about maestro Keith. His ego trip, if we like.

- Doxa

Still, it's a bit strange that he named the live album Keith Richards And The X-Pensive Winos, isn't it?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1370
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home