Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: 1978 Some girls Tour
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 28, 2023 20:34

Mongoose, good to see you on here!

The 1981 show I attended (my first) had a feeling of dangerous electricity in the air. Never felt that again at a Stones show.

I did at a Who show though. Awesome feeling.....

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: March 28, 2023 20:40

1978 Capitol Theater Passaic NJ my first Rolling Stones show.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 29, 2023 00:10

snoopy2
Gazza
GasLightStreet
Bashlets
At the time fans and critics were not pleased it was mostly SG especially for the big stadium shows. Rolling Stone magazine at the time was brutal

That's ridiculous! Even back then, damn those Stones for playing 8 new songs!

They toned it down for 1981 and only played 6 new songs (on average) and only 4 SG songs - and only 1 ER song. You know, they really compromised.

Pretty much half of the 1981-82 setlist consisted of songs from 1978-81 - in other words (as the 1978 tour was only about 25 shows in the US and often in arenas and theatres) half the show was new to many of the audiences (similar to 1978)

Some Girls (5) - Miss You, Whip, JMI, Beast of Burden, Shattered
Emotional Rescue (2) - Shes So Cold, Let Me Go
Tattoo You (5/6)- Start Me Up, Hang Fire, T&A, Neighbours, Black Limousine, Waiting on a Friend (1981 only) plus Tops (a handful of outings in 1981)

And no Midnight Rambler or Sympathy (which we were screaming for back then! And now I get them every time, which I love smiling smiley ..

They also played nothing at all from GHS, IORR and Black and Blue (other than 'Starf***er', which was only played on the US leg and 'Angie' which only appeared in the latter half of the European leg)

Of the other material, LSTNT (apart from Knebworth) and Time is on My Side hadnt been played since Brian was in the band, and Let It Bleed had never been played before at all.

When you compare the setlists from that tour to the last full length tour they'd done (1975/76), it had evolved so much it was almost as if it was two different bands.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-29 00:10 by Gazza.

Posted by: micha063 ()
Date: March 29, 2023 00:25

MizzAmandaJonez
About a week before they played soldiers Field in Chicago, we couldn’t wait. We drove down to Lexington and bought two wristbands for general admission floor. Rupp Arena was a new facility that normally hosts the Univ of Kentucky basketball games. We thought it would be much better than only seeing them at soldiers Field, a huge football stadium . Somehow, we got to the front row. They opened with a song that wasn’t on an album and my friend, and I didn’t immediately recognize it, but man it sounded great. After the show, we realized it was let it rock, a B-side from a single cover of Chuck Berry. Probably took a couple days because there was no Internet. It was great seeing them place so many new songs, and we were blown away when they played hound dog and sweet lil 16 back to back.

And after the show we started to drive back to Chicago, and then turned the other direction and headed to Cleveland where they were playing in two days. It was the same show, except no hound, dog, and an extra 70,000 people. We never got close to the stage, it was hot, and all I remember, was being barefoot, and stepping on a lit cigarette and burning my foot pretty bad.

We drove back to Chicago and my friends were already camped outside at soldiers Field, as the show was a couple days away, and we wanted to get up close. Same show again, and we were about 20 rows back. The surprise here was they did satisfaction for an encore. I think that was a big deal for them to play that song at the time, from what I remember.

Well, this is a very nice story!
I was nearly 15 in summer 78, living in Germany and already a Stones fan.
In 79 I was waiting for them to show up but I had to wait until 82.
The 78 tour is one of my favorite tours and Some Girl one of their best albums.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: March 29, 2023 00:55

I think the band, or at least Mick, being seeing the rise of punk in the NYC, and the fading disco/glam scene, and did not want to appear to be yesterday's news....Even though Some Girls still have country and disco/R&B elements, their live show gave Just My Imagination a bit of punk attitude. Respectable, and When The Whip Comes Down, even All Down The Line, in all their sloppiness and Mick's shouting vocals had a punk vibe - at least at the show witnessed on the 78 tour. The complaints I heard after the show were: too many new songs that casual fans in the crowd did not know, and how short the set was. The "we're going to play fast and hard then be gone for @#$%& you" punk attitude seemed very contrived to me. They were playing to a very full 80,000 seat stadium, not CBGB, after all. Thankfully, they have matured. Otherwise, we might be seeing a Mick rapping HTW..lol

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: March 29, 2023 06:59

My first Rolling Stones show was July of 78 at Soldier Field in Chicago. As I remember it was the 8th of July and a beautiful sunny day.I assume it was a sold out show. Several opening bands - Journey, Peter Tosh and Southside Johnny.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 29, 2023 07:09

Elmo Lewis
Actually in 1981, they played "She's So Cold" and "Let Me Go".

Damn. Right.

2 ER songs!

How dare they!

Date: March 29, 2023 07:32

Gazza
snoopy2
Gazza
GasLightStreet
Bashlets
At the time fans and critics were not pleased it was mostly SG especially for the big stadium shows. Rolling Stone magazine at the time was brutal

That's ridiculous! Even back then, damn those Stones for playing 8 new songs!

They toned it down for 1981 and only played 6 new songs (on average) and only 4 SG songs - and only 1 ER song. You know, they really compromised.

Pretty much half of the 1981-82 setlist consisted of songs from 1978-81 - in other words (as the 1978 tour was only about 25 shows in the US and often in arenas and theatres) half the show was new to many of the audiences (similar to 1978)

Some Girls (5) - Miss You, Whip, JMI, Beast of Burden, Shattered
Emotional Rescue (2) - Shes So Cold, Let Me Go
Tattoo You (5/6)- Start Me Up, Hang Fire, T&A, Neighbours, Black Limousine, Waiting on a Friend (1981 only) plus Tops (a handful of outings in 1981)

And no Midnight Rambler or Sympathy (which we were screaming for back then! And now I get them every time, which I love smiling smiley ..

They also played nothing at all from GHS, IORR and Black and Blue (other than 'Starf***er', which was only played on the US leg and 'Angie' which only appeared in the latter half of the European leg)

Of the other material, LSTNT (apart from Knebworth) and Time is on My Side hadnt been played since Brian was in the band, and Let It Bleed had never been played before at all.

When you compare the setlists from that tour to the last full length tour they'd done (1975/76), it had evolved so much it was almost as if it was two different bands.

Somehow I skipped/forgot about She's So Cold.

But yeah, completely different band.

One might look at 1989-90 in the same light.

Though not quite as stunning as 1981-82, and obviously 1978 (or even 1975-76).

But since then it's been 1989 with tweaks here and there (obviously allowing for new songs from four albums, although not always paying mind to any of those four albums per say).

They were generally held up to (criticized) for being too old in 1989. Yet they set a precedent for themselves regarding the 1964-1981 era overall (yeah yeah, I know, post-1981 tracks have been included).

Between TATTOO YOU and STEEL WHEELS, tour wise, they figured out the greatest hits fans, even while releasing new albums and performing x amount of singles/videos from/for them.

With the Virgin deal they still had the oomph of a new album but the set lists... with some exception to NO SECURITY and select shows during the LICKS tour, have remained overall.

There's the ground zero for The Vegas Stones - STEEL WHEELS/URBAN JUNGLE. They stopped being inventive after UNDERCOVER and it wasn't until BRIDGES they showed any sign of being interested. But, you know, age + contracts. They turned Bud Lite: they followed the money.

I look forward to the new LP, even if it never gets released.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 29, 2023 12:20

I always wonder how people can say they were at a 'bad' 1975 or 1978 show, and then say the 1994 or 2002 or 2014 show was excellent.

Any 1975 or 1978 show is about 100 times better than any show after 1990. There simply is no contest.

Mathijs

Posted by: souldoggie ()
Date: March 29, 2023 17:45

Mathijs
I always wonder how people can say they were at a 'bad' 1975 or 1978 show, and then say the 1994 or 2002 or 2014 show was excellent.

Any 1975 or 1978 show is about 100 times better than any show after 1990. There simply is no contest.

Mathijs

Totally agree.
Cleveland '75 and Cleveland '78 were absolutely fantastic shows.
I was on the rail for both, what a blast.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: March 30, 2023 10:53

Mathijs

Mathijs

You have to keep it in context.when I say a bad show I mean it was bad for the 70s.
Great in the 90s means great, for the 90s.

Date: March 30, 2023 11:05

souldoggie
Mathijs

Mathijs

Totally agree.

Souldoggie, I haven’t seen that name in a long time, where you been man?

World Series of rock in Cleveland! We drove all the way up from Florida for them.
Some friends told me about 75 so I went to Pink Floyd in 77 and the Stones in 78.
I was probably standing not far from you, remember Peter Tosh passing the giant spliff into the crowd, I was right next to those guys who got it from him.good times.

Posted by: souldoggie ()
Date: March 30, 2023 17:35

Lem, nice to hear from you, I had no idea you were at the Cleveland 78 show...yes, I remember Tosh handing out the spliff to the crowd...I have brief snippet of film showing just that (probably why I remember it so well)...heck you may be in the 15-minute silent super 8 footage I took that day for all I know.

Remember the weird almost circus act that appeared above the stage right before the Stones came on stage banging out Let It Rock?...it was like a motorcycle rider on a wire above the stage...I seem to remember a sort of circus act like troupe appearing on the Philly 78 stage right before the show, too. There were a couple or three people dressed up in tongue outfits on stage right before the Stones came out. Crazy times

Posted by: spiderman ()
Date: March 31, 2023 00:00

I agree, Shawn and Shattered, my first Stones New Orleans 78 was quite the event. Damn, so humid, high, 20 & foolish...such a (hazy) memory. Can either of you expand on that to recall more?

Date: March 31, 2023 09:35

souldoggie
Lem, nice to hear from you, I had no idea you were at the Cleveland 78 show...yes, I remember Tosh handing out the spliff to the crowd...I have brief snippet of film showing just that (probably why I remember it so well)...heck you may be in the 15-minute silent super 8 footage I took that day for all I know.

Remember the weird almost circus act that appeared above the stage right before the Stones came on stage banging out Let It Rock?...it was like a motorcycle rider on a wire above the stage...I seem to remember a sort of circus act like troupe appearing on the Philly 78 stage right before the show, too. There were a couple or three people dressed up in tongue outfits on stage right before the Stones came out. Crazy times

Strange- I completely forgot about that and as soon as I read your post it came rushing back like I was standing there.
That motorcycle was really loud and I think he really was riding it on a wire.there were some weird circus people as you said but not like cirque de soleil but like low rent carny people.
I saw so much weird shit that day I actually forgot THAT.lol

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 5, 2023 05:30

Mathijs

Mathijs

Whilst I would never suggest they were bad in 1975 or 1978, there is something - I’m not entirely sure what, admittedly - that hinders my enjoyment of the recordings I’ve heard and own. I didn’t actually bother to purchase the much-lauded El Mocambo. There’s a part of me that suspects that the mid-to-late 70’s era just doesn’t interest me as much as what came before or after. I’d far rather listen to a great-sounding Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle show, or one of those 1995 theatre performances, than listen to Mick’s mockney fakery of 1975-‘76. Too much shouting. It’s funny, though. I’d have lumped-in the 1981-‘82 Tour with that of 1978 at one time, but I absolutely love Leeds and Wembley ‘82. Maybe I’ll come around one day!

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: May 5, 2023 18:41

The Rolling Stones live at Capitol Theatre, Passaic (New Jersey) - June 14, 1978

[www.youtube.com]

Date: May 5, 2023 19:07

I think they were trying to fit in with the times and appear more like newer, hipper bands of the time: punks. Play faster, rougher with more snarl/growl in Mick's delivery, shorter songs, push out some energy and be on and off in 75 minutes. And at 75 minutes it would have been a long punk set at the time. Such a big change from 1975. But at the same time they were trying to change pace in the set with songs like Love In Vain and Faraway Eyes )very un-modern) that did not work well in a big stadium, daytime show. The set at my show was focused on the then-new Some Girls album, which many people in the crowd had not spent any time with besides Miss You and Shattered. I loved the show, knew ever song by heart. I was with a group of 10 friends, 7 of whom thought they absolutely sucked, some for not playing longer and playing more popular songs, others for the sloppy, fast delivery of some songs. Looking back, I think it was all about them not wanting to be perceived as a band that once mattered, but one that was still at the forefront of rock n roll. But 80,000 people on a sunny afternoon in an outdoor stadium just did not work. Theater shows of the tour cook much better. Can feel the energy growing, not evaporating

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: May 6, 2023 11:43

I attended 2 fantastic gigs on the 78 tour…Pure magic.

Posted by: micha063 ()
Date: May 6, 2023 15:05

leteyer

Happy you!

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: May 6, 2023 20:13

Mathijs

Mathijs

And as you mentioned before you never attended any of the shows from these years. Oh yeah I forgot. You judge a show from a bootleg cassette tape. Oh brother....

Date: May 7, 2023 06:32

spikenyc
The Rolling Stones live at Capitol Theatre, Passaic (New Jersey) - June 14, 1978

[www.youtube.com]

Excellent! Thank you!

Date: May 7, 2023 06:34

spiderman
I agree, Shawn and Shattered, my first Stones New Orleans 78 was quite the event. Damn, so humid, high, 20 & foolish...such a (hazy) memory. Can either of you expand on that to recall more?

Was it "so humid" in the Superdome? Is that what you mean?

Date: May 7, 2023 17:16

souldoggie
Mathijs

Mathijs

Totally agree.

The Stones played the same stadium outside Buffalo in 1978 and it was an exciting show and I liked it. But an uneven show, iffy sound, and the band trying to play fast and loose as-if to imply they were every but as 'bad' as the punk scene. I liked the show, a lot. Knew every song on Some Girls by heart (though most of the crowd did not as it was early on the tour). It was a short set, which was a disappointment for me. By contrast, 2015, 37 years later, at the same venue they were loud, really tight, Keef played with way more energy, power, FIRE. Ronnie (maybe due to sobriety) played the best I had ever heard him, live. Charlie was smiling and having a blast. Bill was not there but also not missed. I much, much, much better show. Not even close (even though long before 2015 I had grown tired of Miss You, HTW and some other warhorses, the 2015 delivery was far superior to 1978).

Posted by: Dorn ()
Date: May 7, 2023 17:41

leteyer

i envy you
wish i had lived in the US back than

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: May 7, 2023 17:54

10 best Stones tours, 1967, 1969,1970,1972, 1973,1975, 1978,1981, 1989and1990

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 8, 2023 00:57

lem motlow
souldoggie

Strange- I completely forgot about that and as soon as I read your post it came rushing back like I was standing there.
That motorcycle was really loud and I think he really was riding it on a wire.there were some weird circus people as you said but not like cirque de soleil but like low rent carny people.
I saw so much weird shit that day I actually forgot THAT.lol

I also remember the threatening bikers that were playing grab ass with each other, flashing large knives. It was a gray, ominous day. The motorcycle act wasn't welcome. Then I remember the crush as the Stones appeared. We had to get out of the crowd and off to the side because we couldn't breathe. The Stones were good, the rest of it sucked.

Posted by: Lamorinda ()
Date: May 8, 2023 02:29

Oakland, CA, July 26, 1978: Last show of the tour, Mick’s birthday, and the show sold out before you even knew they were touring!

Prior to the Stones (very late) appearance, a helicopter flew over the crowd and the doors opened and dropped thousands a ping pong balls and a few blow up dolls onto the crowd below. I have no idea how they got away with this - seemed illegal and very dangerous. Anyway, the ping pong balls had the Stones logo on it - I’ve still got mine!.

I love the ‘78 tour. I still enjoy listening to all the boots. They never get old.

Date: May 8, 2023 11:01

Taylor1

You didn't like the 1971 tour? And what was wrong with the 1966-tour? 1982?

It's hard to make such a list smiling smiley

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: May 8, 2023 16:45

DandelionPowderman
Taylor1

You didn't like the 1971 tour? And what was wrong with the 1966-tour? 1982?

It's hard to make such a list smiling smiley
I think they were better on the 1981 tour than the 1982 tour.Woods playing is better.But it was still a really good tour. 1967 was definitely IMO better than1966.Brian was still playing well and you had songs like Ruby Tuesday.You are right it’s hard to make a list, but 1967-,1990 are better than anything post 1990

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-05-08 16:46 by Taylor1.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1786
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home