Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
1978 Some girls Tour
Posted by: illyad1960 ()
Date: March 23, 2023 09:20

I have been listening to Captain Acid's version of the Woodstock Rehearsals. Couldn't help but notice plenty of songs rehearsed but most not played. Does anyone know the reasoning for the short set list and the excluded songs rationale?

Re: 1978 Some girls Tour
Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: March 23, 2023 09:38

It still amazes me how fckd up the band and the audiences were on that tour, I’m not sure how we lived through it to be honest.
The abbreviated sets were designed to be a short,fast almost punk style show that featured alot of Some Girls.
No MR,YCAGWYW,GS etc.it didn’t lend itself to a long show with a bunch of songs.
Good thing ,I doubt any of us could’ve remained upright for that long.

Date: March 23, 2023 10:06

The set was pretty standard, compared to all tours but the 75/76-tours, wasn't it?

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: March 23, 2023 12:19

lem motlow
It still amazes me how fckd up the band and the audiences were on that tour, I’m not sure how we lived through it to be honest.
The abbreviated sets were designed to be a short,fast almost punk style show that featured alot of Some Girls.
No MR,YCAGWYW,GS etc.it didn’t lend itself to a long show with a bunch of songs.
Good thing ,I doubt any of us could’ve remained upright for that long.

I can only judge on boots - at the time I was 10 and 5,000 miles away - but in my very humble opinion the Some Girls tour was one of their best: great set list and great playing!!!

C

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: March 23, 2023 13:50

...Some Girls Tour...I'd like to know if the Stones were surprised at how receptive the audience was to them playing nearly the entire album on tour.....then throwing in a few mandatory war horses....it was brilliant.....they've only done this once since when they celebrated Sticky in LA.....

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: March 23, 2023 14:08

At the time fans and critics were not pleased it was mostly SG especially for the big stadium shows. Rolling Stone magazine at the time was brutal

Posted by: Kevinstones78 ()
Date: March 23, 2023 14:46

In the summer of 1978 some girls album was released my cousin got tickets to go see them in Philadelphia. That was the beginning of a lifetime of loyalty and love for the Rolling Stones. My first bootleg Garden State 78 was tremendous along with the one at the Capitol theater, there were highs and lows in the tour but it was enough to keep me there for the rest of my life great rockin, king biscuit, flower hour, all that good stuff

Date: March 23, 2023 15:09

I still have that King Biscuit Flower Hour on tape.

Kevinstones78
In the summer of 1978 some girls album was released my cousin got tickets to go see them in Philadelphia. That was the beginning of a lifetime of loyalty and love for the Rolling Stones. My first bootleg Garden State 78 was tremendous along with the one at the Capitol theater, there were highs and lows in the tour but it was enough to keep me there for the rest of my life great rockin, king biscuit, flower hour, all that good stuff

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: March 23, 2023 15:20

My first Stones show was in Boulder that tour. It was fantastic! That was my album that year (along with Darkness on the Edge of Town). The stadium shows were mini festivals. The show I saw had Peter Tosh, Eddie Money & Kansas open. 1981 was great too although it was a much more commercial enterprise.

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: March 23, 2023 16:51

It was the best of tours, it was the worst of tours.

Prime example of the former? Ft. Worth, Passaic or Detroit.

Prime example of the latter? Cleveland (AKA the worst Stones show ever performed. In a literal Dante's Inferno sort of atmosphere.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: March 23, 2023 16:56

rbk

Prime example of the latter? Cleveland (AKA the worst Stones show ever performed. In a literal Dante's Inferno sort of atmosphere.

If you wanted to see a bad show you should of been in Buffalo The worst Stones show of all that I’ve seen. Terrible.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 23, 2023 18:28

illyad1960
I have been listening to Captain Acid's version of the Woodstock Rehearsals. Couldn't help but notice plenty of songs rehearsed but most not played.

Imo rehearsals are a private event for the band : they can try songs theyll never even think of doing live simply because they want to try them.

illyad1960
Does anyone know the reasoning for the short set list and the excluded songs rationale?

PUNK!!!
They understood they had to channel the vibe of this musical trend and inject it into their music for fear of being labelled as a bunch of old farts.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 23, 2023 18:45

rbk

I was at the Cleveland show. Horrible. Not the band, they were ramshackle and funky. But the vibe was horrible. Keith looked like death. Bikers roamed the crowd, bringing back thoughts of Altamont. At the Fort Worth show they did seven Some Girls songs in a row. I love my Some Girls Blu Ray DVD. They sounded great that night. I'm only sorry they didn't do Midnight Rambler. I always like to see how each tour handles it. (They also didn't do it in 81/82). It's the only place they seem to improvise and go off script a bit.

Date: March 23, 2023 18:50

Regardless of the condition of the band I'll take the Out on Bail bootleg over anything since 1989.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: March 23, 2023 18:54

Respectable Live Texas 1978 is one of my favorite live performances by The Stones I've seen. The level of punk attitude and nastiness does it for me. Simply electric!

Love Ronnie's solos from Texas '78!!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-23 19:01 by NashvilleBlues.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 24, 2023 14:08

Bashlets
At the time fans and critics were not pleased it was mostly SG especially for the big stadium shows. Rolling Stone magazine at the time was brutal

I saw them in Philly about a week after the album was released. The crowd was familiar with "Miss You" which had been released as a single a few weeks earlier, but reacted to all the other new songs as if they were hearing them for the first time. I think we were all expecting something more along the lines of the Love You Live album which, after all, was still a relatively new release at the time.

Posted by: laf848 ()
Date: March 25, 2023 00:31

While I'm listening to the CD Live in Texas '78, I came across this thread.
I really like the cd and Blu ray. Also, I was at the Philly stadium show in 78 and I loved it.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: March 25, 2023 10:51

The 1978 Some Girls tour was the Stones reborn - once again, like in 1969, they were successfully adjusting to the times and almost chameleon-like, almost nothing resembles the sound and attitude of their 1975-1976 tours.

There were early signs already at El Mocambo '77, no longs songs like YCAGWYW or Midnight Rambler for example, but it took the Some Girls recording sessions and the rescaling of the band to complete the transition.

Unthinkable nowadays, where we get the same basic setlist and arrangements since 1989...

Posted by: MizzAmandaJonez ()
Date: March 25, 2023 17:40

78 was great

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-25 18:12 by MizzAmandaJonez.

Posted by: MizzAmandaJonez ()
Date: March 25, 2023 18:11

About a week before they played soldiers Field in Chicago, we couldn’t wait. We drove down to Lexington and bought two wristbands for general admission floor. Rupp Arena was a new facility that normally hosts the Univ of Kentucky basketball games. We thought it would be much better than only seeing them at soldiers Field, a huge football stadium . Somehow, we got to the front row. They opened with a song that wasn’t on an album and my friend, and I didn’t immediately recognize it, but man it sounded great. After the show, we realized it was let it rock, a B-side from a single cover of Chuck Berry. Probably took a couple days because there was no Internet. It was great seeing them place so many new songs, and we were blown away when they played hound dog and sweet lil 16 back to back.

And after the show we started to drive back to Chicago, and then turned the other direction and headed to Cleveland where they were playing in two days. It was the same show, except no hound, dog, and an extra 70,000 people. We never got close to the stage, it was hot, and all I remember, was being barefoot, and stepping on a lit cigarette and burning my foot pretty bad.

We drove back to Chicago and my friends were already camped outside at soldiers Field, as the show was a couple days away, and we wanted to get up close. Same show again, and we were about 20 rows back. The surprise here was they did satisfaction for an encore. I think that was a big deal for them to play that song at the time, from what I remember.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 27, 2023 18:23

Bashlets

That's ridiculous! Even back then, damn those Stones for playing 8 new songs!

They toned it down for 1981 and only played 6 new songs (on average) and only 4 SG songs - and only 1 ER song. You know, they really compromised.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 27, 2023 18:37

Actually in 1981, they played "She's So Cold" and "Let Me Go".

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 27, 2023 19:35

GasLightStreet
Bashlets

They toned it down for 1981 and only played 6 new songs (on average) and only 4 SG songs - and only 1 ER song. You know, they really compromised.

Pretty much half of the 1981-82 setlist consisted of songs from 1978-81 - in other words (as the 1978 tour was only about 25 shows in the US and often in arenas and theatres) half the show was new to many of the audiences (similar to 1978)

Some Girls (5) - Miss You, Whip, JMI, Beast of Burden, Shattered
Emotional Rescue (2) - Shes So Cold, Let Me Go
Tattoo You (5/6)- Start Me Up, Hang Fire, T&A, Neighbours, Black Limousine, Waiting on a Friend (1981 only) plus Tops (a handful of outings in 1981)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-27 19:36 by Gazza.

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: March 27, 2023 19:47

Gazza
GasLightStreet
Bashlets

Pretty much half of the 1981-82 setlist consisted of songs from 1978-81 - in other words (as the 1978 tour was only about 25 shows in the US and often in arenas and theatres) half the show was new to many of the audiences (similar to 1978)

Some Girls (5) - Miss You, Whip, JMI, Beast of Burden, Shattered
Emotional Rescue (2) - Shes So Cold, Let Me Go
Tattoo You (5/6)- Start Me Up, Hang Fire, T&A, Neighbours, Black Limousine, Waiting on a Friend (1981 only) plus Tops (a handful of outings in 1981)

And no Midnight Rambler or Sympathy (which we were screaming for back then! And now I get them every time, which I love smiling smiley ..

Posted by: tookthatname ()
Date: March 27, 2023 19:50

Saw 9 shows in 78. Really the only bad one was Philly. Mick had the flu.

The show must go on

Posted by: Rolling1 ()
Date: March 28, 2023 01:25

1st Stones show was July 11, 1978 at keil opera house St.Louis. Show was a surprise announcement on July 6th, sold out in 75 minutes, since then seen them close to 30 times.

Posted by: tookthatname ()
Date: March 28, 2023 02:55

Saw 9 shows in 78. Really the only bad one was Philly. Mick had the flu.

The show must go on

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: March 28, 2023 03:40

July 13, 1978 - New Orleans. Pure magic!

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: March 28, 2023 20:04

Shawn20
July 13, 1978 - New Orleans. Pure magic!

...was waiting for this comment!

Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: March 28, 2023 20:18

I was at the 78 Greensboro show, which was my second Stones concert (the first being in 75).

At the time, I didn't think it was anywhere near the quality show as the one in 75, but subsequent listens to the bootleg from this concert have made me rethink the comparison.

Lots of energy, Keith was in fine form, and I enjoyed the '"mostly SG songs" set list.

Also, I think a lot of any concert experience has to do with where you are sitting, mood of the crowd, your own personal energy level and expectations of the show, etc. Glad I got the chance to see them in 78, and, overall, a very different kind of Stones show from the other ten I have attended.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-28 20:19 by Mongoose.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1790
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home