Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Peter Gabriel 2023 Tour
Posted by: kovach ()
Date: March 7, 2023 17:43

The arrival of the Full Moon update Part Two means it's time to announce the North American Tour that we've been promising for a while!

The North American leg of i/o - The Tour, produced by Live Nation, will find Peter Gabriel performing in Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto, Montreal, Boston, Philadelphia, New York, Chicago, Vancouver, Seattle, San Francisco and Los Angeles.

Stay tuned for future tour date announcements in Washington, Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Columbus, Cleveland, Detroit, Milwaukee, St. Paul, Denver, Austin, Dallas and Houston.

i/o - The Tour will see Peter playing new material from his forthcoming album i/o, as well as delving into his peerless catalogue of music, with hits, fan favourites and the unexpected. For the shows, he will be joined by regular band-mates Tony Levin, David Rhodes and Manu Katché.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-05-22 12:43 by bv.

Re: OT: Peter Gabriel North American Tour Announced
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: March 7, 2023 17:50

i/o The Tour North American shows announced

7th March, 2023

[petergabriel.com]

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: March 7, 2023 17:51

3 Texas dates but none in the South East US???

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: March 7, 2023 18:00

NashvilleBlues
+1

Date: March 7, 2023 19:16

snoopy2
NashvilleBlues
+1

Yeah, kind of weird, Columbus and Cleveland?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 7, 2023 19:26

He always puts on an incredible show - looking forward to it!thumbs up

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: March 7, 2023 23:11

NashvilleBlues

More shows will be added later as soon as they secure the dates. Atlanta, Miami and Tampa are likely.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-07 23:12 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: March 7, 2023 23:18

TornAndFried
NashvilleBlues

More shows will be added later as soon as they secure the dates. Atlanta, Miami and Tampa are likely.

Cool. Thanks!

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: March 7, 2023 23:44

Is Peter Gabriel popular enough to play large arenas?

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: March 9, 2023 01:51

DGA35

He is in places like Quebec City and Montreal. Last time he played Vancouver in 2002, it was reportedly far from full, and he hasn't been back until now.

Classic rock radio has kept him in the loop, so he'll probably do ok, but maybe the dozen initial dates are testing the waters for other markets.

For Vancouver pre sale, tickets are between $80 (cad) for back uppers, and $380 for floors and prime lower bowl. Ugh.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: March 9, 2023 02:30

mosthigh
DGA35

He is in places like Quebec City and Montreal. Last time he played Vancouver in 2002, it was reportedly far from full, and he hasn't been back until now.

Classic rock radio has kept him in the loop, so he'll probably do ok, but maybe the dozen initial dates are testing the waters for other markets.

For Vancouver pre sale, tickets are between $80 (cad) for back uppers, and $380 for floors and prime lower bowl. Ugh.

Last song of his I'm familiar with would be Sledgehammer. I got notification of Amex presales this morning but didn't check prices.

Date: May 19, 2023 19:08

First show last night, 12 new songs from the upcoming I/O album. Looks like quite the spectacle. A little disappointed nothing from his 2nd or 4th album:

Set 1:
Washing of the Water - Us
Growing Up - Up
Panopticom - I/O
Four Kinds of Horses - I/O
i/o - I/O
Digging in the Dirt - Us
Playing for Time - I/O
Olive Tree - I/O
Home - I/O
Sledgehammer - So

Set 2:
Darkness - Up
Love Can Heal - I/O
Road to Joy - I/O
Don't Give Up - So
The Court - I/O
Red Rain - So
And Still - I/O
What Lies Ahead - I/O
Big Time - So
Live and Let Live - I/O
Solsbury Hill - Peter Gabriel 1

Encore:
In Your Eyes - So

Encore 2:
Biko - Peter Gabriel 3

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 19, 2023 20:22

Amazing setlist.thumbs up

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: May 20, 2023 03:31

Haven't bought for SF yet but likely will pick up a taping ticket at the last minute.

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: May 20, 2023 05:30

Worst setlist ever, and his new stuff bores me. Sorry, Peter.yawning smiley

1983's 'Plays Live' is the high water mark imo.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: May 20, 2023 05:55

Peter Gabriel?!?! Stop taking the piss mate! This is The Rolling fekin' Stones' biggest Forum!
Ever was!

It is about Rock n Roll you see?

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: May 20, 2023 07:02

mosthigh

The chick at the beer stand wouldn't sell beer to a dude dressed in black tights, knee pads, and wearing a helmet until people started screaming for her to serve him.

It was someone from the band possibly Frip or Levin. Good times!

Tuesday, 02 Aug, 83 at Poplar Creek

“Plays Live" concerts were recorded at:
Braden Auditorium, Illinois State University, Normal, Illinois, 3 December 1982
Memorial Hall, Kansas City, Kansas, 4 December 1982
Evans Field House, Northern Illinois University, Dekalb, Illinois, 6 December 1982
SIU Arena, Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, Illinois, 7 December 1982

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-05-20 07:05 by shattered.

Date: May 21, 2023 17:02

mosthigh

I was a bit surprised at his approach. Would've expected at this age would've been more retrospective. But guess he's taking a more artistic "let's do something new" approach.

Of course tickets aren't $12 anymore, folks may be expecting something different.

Me personally, I would've liked to hear more of the older stuff but I'll enjoy it either way.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 21, 2023 23:33

Nice to see that he is still creative and is going on tour to promote his new album.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: May 22, 2023 00:32

I would never have thought he'd be that retrospective. That would be like, the antithesis of Peter Gabriel lol (much to my chagrin that he couldn't drop one Genesis song in the setlist if he wasn't going to get on stage with them at their final show despite being there).

Date: May 22, 2023 04:33

RollingFreak
I would never have thought he'd be that retrospective. That would be like, the antithesis of Peter Gabriel lol (much to my chagrin that he couldn't drop one Genesis song in the setlist if he wasn't going to get on stage with them at their final show despite being there).

Yes he's keeping true to his style!

Apparently he's frequently rehearsed Genesis songs but never played them.

Re: OT: Peter Gabriel 2023 Tour
Posted by: ab ()
Date: May 22, 2023 15:30

I'm pretty sure that he hasn't played a Genesis song in one of his shows since about 1978. When he toured after his first two solo albums, he'd do a Genesis song as the encore (Back in NYC on the first album tour, The Lamb on the second album tour). Nothing from his old band's catalog since. Though there was that Genesis reunion show in 1982.

i/o is his first album of new songs in 21 years. It's understandable that he wants to take its songs out for a spin.

But the tickets are rather expensive. A performer is able to charge high ticket prices on account of his hits. So when a performer charges high ticket prices, he's expected to deliver the hits. Charging high prices and then playing a 90-minute set of brand new songs with a few from the catalog in the encore tests a fan base's loyalty. Neil Young's done this before: it worked with Rust, not so much with Greendale.

A look at the PG setlist indicates that he's playing a lot of new songs with his big hits placed strategically to satisfy the fan base. It's the not-as-big hits (e.g., Games without Frontiers, Shock the Monkey) and earlier deep cuts (e.g., No Self Control, Family and the Fishing Net) that are missing. But it's not as though we haven't had ample opportunity to see him play those songs on previous tours and can't watch the DVDs of those tours at home. I suspect that, as the tour goes on and he figures out that some new songs are not going over so well, that he'll swap them out for the tried and true.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-05-23 10:02 by ab.

Posted by: AntoineParis ()
Date: May 24, 2023 10:51

Fantastic show yesterday in Paris.
The voice still the same. We had a great time !
Set list similar to fist shows
A must to see

Posted by: LondonLee ()
Date: May 24, 2023 12:50

What was the running time?

I'm off to see the O2 London gig but have recently moved out to the sticks and still trying to get to grips with the idea of 'last trains'!

Date: May 24, 2023 15:37

LondonLee

I'm off to see the O2 London gig but have recently moved out to the sticks and still trying to get to grips with the idea of 'last trains'!

Looks like they're starting about 10 minutes after the scheduled time and running about 5 minutes shy of 3 hours.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: May 24, 2023 20:40

kovach
LondonLee

Looks like they're starting about 10 minutes after the scheduled time and running about 5 minutes shy of 3 hours.

Thats pretty @#$%& epic if Peter Gabriel in his 70s is doing a 3 hour show. Bravo to him. I guess thats with an intermission, but still way longer than I feel he'd HAVE to do. Still must be like a 2 hour and 20 minute show.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-05-24 20:40 by RollingFreak.

Date: May 24, 2023 20:59

RollingFreak
kovach
LondonLee

Thats pretty @#$%& epic if Peter Gabriel in his 70s is doing a 3 hour show. Bravo to him. I guess thats with an intermission, but still way longer than I feel he'd HAVE to do. Still must be like a 2 hour and 20 minute show.

Well that includes a break between 2 sets, and breaks for 2 encores, but yeah that's quite a feat.

OT: Peter Gabriel 2023 Tour
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: May 24, 2023 21:04

Peter Gabriel review – haunted new songs have fans punching the air

Accor Arena, Paris
It’s not just the dependable hits that delight the audience as the venerable prog-popper rolls out his first set of fresh material for 21 years

Alexis Petridis
24 May 2023

York Tillyer

[www.theguardian.com]

Posted by: LondonLee ()
Date: May 25, 2023 18:58

kovach
LondonLee

Thank you.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: June 24, 2023 15:26

Saw his show at the OVO Hydro in Glasgow on Thursday, the first time for me in ten years since Manchester 2013. A first-class performance from beginning to end. Gabriel was backed by eight musicians, including some of his live stalwarts, e.g. David Rhodes, Tony Levin, Manu Katché, all extraordinary players with remarkable musicianship. As equally impressive as Gabriel’s road veterans was new comer and cellist Ayanna Witter-Johnson. Her talent shone through not only with her instrumental playing skills but also singing. Her duetting with Gabriel on Don’t Give Up was one of the memorable highlights of the show.
Also beautiful stage presentation — the visual often made me feel seeing a series of fine paintings of an enormous size. An unforgettable show all around.

Regarding the performance time. In Glasgow, it started at 20:00 prompt. The first set finished about 21:10. The second set started about 21:27 and finished at 22:35. The whole show including the encore finished at 22:55. Excluding the mid-break, the approximate show length was 2 hrs and 40 mins, quite long.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-06-24 15:46 by RisingStone.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1998
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home