Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Favorite memory listening to a Stones song?
Posted by: MichaelLassen ()
Date: March 6, 2023 19:19

I´m curious with what your favorite memory is listening to a Stones song?

Re: Favorite memory listening to a Stones song?
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 6, 2023 19:23

Trying to remember correctly here but I believe it involved 'events' that a gentleman might choose not to disclose.

Which of course would leave it wide open for me.

Still...

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 6, 2023 20:37

Every time I listen to Feel On Baby from UNDERCOVER via whatever digital platform I still expect the skip that my vinyl album had after 8000 listenings.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 6, 2023 20:40

Still indeed..

I guess we are pretty liberal and adult-minded here, but perhaps better not to go into graphic details here...

Next question, please.grinning smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 6, 2023 20:46

GasLightStreet
Every time I listen to Feel On Baby from UNDERCOVER via whatever digital platform I still expect the skip that my vinyl album had after 8000 listenings.

We don't call you Skippy for nothing!!! grinning smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: sandandglue ()
Date: March 6, 2023 21:17

Mine was visiting the Exhibitionism exhibition with my pregnant wife. As foolhardy as she was, neither of us expected the last room with the 3D video, we sat down with our glasses, the lights went down, 'Satisfaction'(sic?) started with a bang and our daughter, c. 6 months in the making gave the biggest kick of her pre-life. From that day on, we said she was a fan. She would be no happier than listening to 'Paint It, Black' when she was two years old and is convinced that John Pasche created that logo just for her.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 6, 2023 21:46

1995 : driving through the empty streets of L.A. one night in a rented black Town Car while listening to "Thru And Thru" at full volume.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 6, 2023 22:14

Playing pool in Buckhead (a district in Atlanta), 1971, in a small place. Somebody played Brown Sugar on the jukebox. The bass reverberated against the wall behind it.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: March 6, 2023 22:19

All of LYL reminds me of my Junior year at The University of Tennessee. Constantly in my bedside CD player with a tin ashtray on it.

...and some X-rated moments listening to Midnight Rambler (Ya-Ya's version).

Posted by: josepi ()
Date: March 6, 2023 22:44

1972 Smoking wacky tobaccy and drinking a cup of tea while listening to Side 1 Exile in mom's basement. Shake Your Hips fires up and I'm looking at the silver teapot. It looked like it was shaking it's hips with one hand on hip, the other reaching out.

You never forget something like that.

Date: March 6, 2023 22:47

Memory Motel. 1976. Not for musical reasons only.

Posted by: TheBluesHadaBaby ()
Date: March 6, 2023 23:22

These sorts of prompts IMHO, whether by interviewers or as forum subjects, should always instead ask, "What is ONE OF your favorite (/most memorable)... [whatever]?" Cuz, c'mon, it's totally unrealistic to ask anyone who has lived at all to come up with their most favorite of just about anything.

Least of all Rolling Stones musical moments.

josepi
1972 Smoking wacky tobaccy and drinking a cup of tea while listening to Side 1 Exile in mom's basement. Shake Your Hips fires up and I'm looking at the silver teapot. It looked like it was shaking it's hips with one hand on hip, the other reaching out.

You never forget something like that.

Shake Your Hips was SO overlooked on Exile, criminally so, but obviously because it's a cover. But from Day 1 when I first played Exile, age 17 in 1972 and just before seeing them on the tour, it might be my favorite cut on the album. An album that itself might be the greatest rock album ever.

Shake Your Hips was also an early step in the Stones educating me in where all this fabulous rocknroll stuff came from in the first place. I was young n dumb and had never heard of Slim Harpo. Englishmen were schooling me on the music of my own country. And I've been grateful for their doggedness in keeping after that task ever since.

Here's a treat. Enjoy Joan Osborne covering Shake Your Hips:
[youtu.be]

I'm down in Virginia
with your Cousin Lou

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: March 6, 2023 23:33

The song assisted in a major event happening in a young girl's life. I cannot elaborate

Posted by: TheBluesHadaBaby ()
Date: March 6, 2023 23:46

steffialicia
The song assisted in a major event happening in a young girl's life. I cannot elaborate

Not sharing any deets is understandable, but you can't tell us the song either?

Posted by: MisterO ()
Date: March 7, 2023 02:43

My fondest Stones song memory was the night I learned how to play my first song on guitar. It was "No Expectations". I was so excited that I just kept playing it over and over until I fell asleep.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: March 7, 2023 07:40

JJF - I played it 5 times in a row on the bar Jukebox one night, I think of that each time the riff kicks in.

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: March 7, 2023 14:57

TheBluesHadaBaby
steffialicia

The song will tell it all.

Posted by: ribbelchips ()
Date: March 7, 2023 15:10

Wild Horses was played during our
registered partnership ceremony.Not perfectly fitting lyrics-wise, but mainly because of it being just a wonderfull song...

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: March 7, 2023 15:14

Rocks Off! ... I am guessing it was about my 3rd time listening to it when it hit me: wow, this is a great song!

Date: March 7, 2023 18:11

steffialicia
TheBluesHadaBaby
steffialicia

If this is about menstruation I think we can stop right now thank you very much!

Though if I'm challenged to guess, I'd say it's the title song of one of the big 4.

Posted by: Stonesfan2146 ()
Date: March 7, 2023 18:16

Memory Motel, what a song! Great memories tied to that one smiling smiley

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: March 7, 2023 18:25

1965. My counselor at YMCA camp had a transistor radio he'd play during mid-day break. "Satisfaction" was HUUUGE that summer.

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: March 9, 2023 04:49

Listening to the Black and Blue LP when it came out while I was in Montauk, the place that inspired the song "Memory Motel".

Date: March 9, 2023 08:33

Doxa
GasLightStreet

We don't call you Skippy for nothing!!! grinning smiley

- Doxa

HA HA!

Date: March 9, 2023 08:38

treaclefingers
steffialicia
TheBluesHadaBaby
steffialicia

If this is about menstruation I think we can stop right now thank you very much!

Though if I'm challenged to guess, I'd say it's the title song of one of the big 4.

Yet... never said/sung in the title track. Which, if you think about it, album (song) title or not, the only other tunes I can think of that never sang the title are SFTD, Turd On The Run and Little T&A.

Posted by: DiscoVolante ()
Date: March 9, 2023 11:10

2010, marooned in New York City, due to the volcano eruption on Iceland. Walking around alone on Manhattan listening to Some Girls on my iPod.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-09 11:13 by DiscoVolante.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: March 9, 2023 14:57

Sitting at the pool at the tennis club my dad had a membership too, hearing Miss You, more just a music fan than a Stones fan at the time, thinking "so they're doing disco now".

Then later hearing Beast of Burden which really caught my attention, I thought it was such a uniquely strange sound.

Followed later by Shattered which was even weirder but entertaining as hell, thinking "I've got to get this album".

After listening to the rocking When the Whip Comes Down, Respectable, Just My Imagination, and the country Far Away Eyes, so began my journey into their back catalog and was hooked since. Didn't get to see them on that tour but caught every US tour since '81.

Date: March 9, 2023 16:08

GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
steffialicia
TheBluesHadaBaby
steffialicia

Yet... never said/sung in the title track. Which, if you think about it, album (song) title or not, the only other tunes I can think of that never sang the title are SFTD, Turd On The Run and Little T&A.

Uh-huh, very true. And where does this leave us again on the catamenian issue?

Posted by: dkwalika ()
Date: March 9, 2023 20:32

So many to choose from: Tell Me as a little kid (I loved that sound), first time hearing Honky Tonk Women and Brown Sugar. But it was truly just driving around, high school age, and hearing Tumbling Dice out of WLS radio late at night.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 9, 2023 20:59

Singing along with my aunt to Satisfaction on the radio when I was four years old in '67.

"Cause I try, and I try, and I try, and I try......"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1281
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home