Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT RIP Lynyrd Skynyrd's Gary Rossington
Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: March 13, 2023 19:13

The classic Skynyrd lineup was ferociously good live. I saw them at what I think was their first UK live appearance supporting Golden Earring (14th November 1974) and went on to see them a further three times before the plane crash, including Knebworth. They were fantastic at Knebworth in the afternoon sun. It was like a different show when the Stones came on in what felt like the middle of the night after a long day with lots of delays and, unfortunately (in my opinion), 10cc in between. Skynyrd got the best of the audience - sun-kissed and hitting its stride. The Stones initially got a stoned and a bit sleepy audience which had lost much of its keen anticipation in the intervening hours with rumours going round that the Stones wouldn't play due to a curfew (if I remember correctly, they didn't come onstage until after midnight).

So, brilliant though they were, Skynyrd didn't blow the Stones offstage. I would observe, however, that Golden Earring found them a very hard act to follow that night in 1974.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 13, 2023 19:45

VoodooLounge13
So drawing to the end of Skynyrd's catalog, and I'm struck by a few things....

1. There is an uncanny resemblance to the Stones, in that really Skynyrd's musical legacy stopped in 1977. Many on here argue the Stones stopped in '78. Certainly their last #1 was in 1978. These are two bands that have largely been touring on past laurels for decades as many say 'round these parts. I don't necessarily believe that, but I also know my opinion is in the overwhelming minority, too. Skynyrd only put out 5 studio albums before life changed. They are most definitely 5 seminal albums each and every one. A big 5 if one will. Makes me wonder what might have been had the plane crash not taken place. Could they have been the biggest/best American band ever???

2. Now that Rossington has passed on and they continue to tour with no original members left in the lineup, could the Stones do the same I wonder, given how huge the corporation is??? Let's say Ronnie is the last one standing, can he go out under the Stones moniker with a different lineup, maybe Chris Jagger on vocals??? Not a question of if he would want to, or should, I'm simply asking, Is the Stones as a business THAT big that it will continue touring in some way, shape, or form long after all the originals are gone?

I'm not a huge Zep fan, but I have ALWAYS respected them for having the balls to say we're done when Bonham passed, and sticking to that....with the exception of a rare one-off gig. All members equally important type thing. It's amazing really.

I would go see Ronnie, Chris Jagger, Darryl, Chuck, Steve, and whoever on second guitar, I would NOT pay Rolling Stones prices, nor should they call themselves The Rolling Stones.

The recent "Lynyrd Skynyrd" should have called themselves "Gary Rossington's Freebird" or something similar. Johnny does a nice job and seems a great guy, but he ain't Ronnie (and he is aware of that).

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: March 15, 2023 03:06

It must have been something to see the original Skynyrd back in the day!!!! I’m sure they were amazing. I see they’re touring this fall with ZZ Top on the Sharp Dressed Simple Man Tour. Love that! Lol. Might be a good way to catch ZZ. Imagine they’d both be pretty darn good with all the hits. Have to believe Skynyrd closes because how do you not end with Freebird!?!?

Date: March 15, 2023 12:59

VoodooLounge13
It must have been something to see the original Skynyrd back in the day!!!! I’m sure they were amazing. I see they’re touring this fall with ZZ Top on the Sharp Dressed Simple Man Tour. Love that! Lol. Might be a good way to catch ZZ. Imagine they’d both be pretty darn good with all the hits. Have to believe Skynyrd closes because how do you not end with Freebird!?!?

There would be no original Skynyrd members onstage - Medlocke doesn't count. I can't imagine they would continue after Gary's passing. If they billed themselves as Johnny Van Zant and Blackfoot, maybe.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: March 15, 2023 13:10

First time I saw them was in '75 at Sheffield City Hall .

Loud as f$%^ ...cos you could get away with it in those days !

[God knows how my hearing survived the '70s.]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-15 13:11 by Spud.

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: March 15, 2023 14:54

Spud
First time I saw them was in '75 at Sheffield City Hall .

Loud as f$%^ ...cos you could get away with it in those days !

[God knows how my hearing survived the '70s.]

Loudest concerts I was at in the '70s were Led Zep and the Who.
Always frontrow.
Thogh the Stones were pretty loud too.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: March 15, 2023 15:56

Phil Good

Loudest concerts I was at in the '70s were Led Zep and the Who.
Always frontrow.
Though the Stones were pretty loud too.

...with your head in the bass bins grinning smiley

Date: March 15, 2023 16:00

Elmo Lewis
VoodooLounge13

There would be no original Skynyrd members onstage - Medlocke doesn't count. I can't imagine they would continue after Gary's passing. If they billed themselves as Johnny Van Zant and Blackfoot, maybe.

Well, that's what led to my post about The Stones machine continuing. There are now no original members in Skynyrd, and while they are evidently nearing the end of Skynyrd, I was very surprised to see them announce yet another tour on the heels of what has been, and was supposed to be, a much delayed and rescheduled farewell tour.....Without Gary now it seems pointless. Glad I saw them back in the early 00's or late 90's - I believe it was the early 00's.

ZZ is one that was on my list to see one day, but without Dusty, I really have no desire to. However, that's a great combo, and if LiveNation does the $25 ticket sale again, I could almost justify grabbing a ticket to see both in Saratoga, NY.....

Date: March 15, 2023 16:07

I've been incredibly intrigued by the whole story of Skynyrd since listening to them, and I just can't process how a plane could run out of fuel on such a relatively short flight. It's a story that I can't get enough of - information wise.

I remember when Stevie Ray Vaughan died in the helicopter crash. I was a freshman in high school, and so many people were distraught over it for weeks. I didn't know who he was at the time. That's about the only thing I can think of that comes close to this incident - impact wise. It must have been absolutely shocking to have heard the news at the time. It's really a miracle that so many survived.

And interesting that Aerosmith had actually considered buying the same plane earlier that year but passed on it, as their management wasn't impressed with the plane and were even less thrilled with the pilots. Could have been a different story entirely.

Starting thru the classic album lineup yet again. Just great, great stuff. I really enjoyed the Rossington-Collins and Steve Gaines albums as well.

Date: March 15, 2023 16:55

VoodooLounge13
I've been incredibly intrigued by the whole story of Skynyrd since listening to them, and I just can't process how a plane could run out of fuel on such a relatively short flight. It's a story that I can't get enough of - information wise.

I remember when Stevie Ray Vaughan died in the helicopter crash. I was a freshman in high school, and so many people were distraught over it for weeks. I didn't know who he was at the time. That's about the only thing I can think of that comes close to this incident - impact wise. It must have been absolutely shocking to have heard the news at the time. It's really a miracle that so many survived.

And interesting that Aerosmith had actually considered buying the same plane earlier that year but passed on it, as their management wasn't impressed with the plane and were even less thrilled with the pilots. Could have been a different story entirely.

Starting thru the classic album lineup yet again. Just great, great stuff. I really enjoyed the Rossington-Collins and Steve Gaines albums as well.

Gene Odom's book does a pretty thorough job of investigating the crash - he was on the plane.

[www.amazon.com]

Yes, I saw then twice before the crash - very loud! Also, saw Rossington-Collins Band and the tribute band (AKA Lynyrd Skynyrd) several times.

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: March 15, 2023 18:32

>>> That's about the only thing I can think of that comes close to this incident - impact wise.

Ahem.

Buddy Holly/Richie Valens/The Big Bopper

Patsy Cline/Cowboy Copas/Hawkshaw Hawkins

Otis Redding/The Bar-Kays

Glenn Miller

Jim Croce

Rick Nelson

John Denver

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 15, 2023 18:53

^

Also Randy Rhoads

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: March 15, 2023 19:46

Re: Odom’s book.

That has been collecting dust on my shelf for years. Picked it up at one of those book clearance houses for next to nothing.

I will definitely read it now.

Date: March 15, 2023 22:33

Javadave
>>> That's about the only thing I can think of that comes close to this incident - impact wise.

Ahem.

Buddy Holly/Richie Valens/The Big Bopper

Patsy Cline/Cowboy Copas/Hawkshaw Hawkins

Otis Redding/The Bar-Kays

Glenn Miller

Jim Croce

Rick Nelson

John Denver

Forgive my ignorance, but didn't all of those pre-date Skynyrd's crash?? I'm 47 years old, and don't really listen to any of those artists except Buddy Holly, so I've no clue. I was talking since then. I forgot about John Denver, but I still think Stevie Ray's was more impacting. Purely based on folks reaction in the area around my home at the time each incident occurred.

Date: March 15, 2023 22:34

Elmo Lewis
VoodooLounge13

Gene Odom's book does a pretty thorough job of investigating the crash - he was on the plane.

[www.amazon.com]

Yes, I saw then twice before the crash - very loud! Also, saw Rossington-Collins Band and the tribute band (AKA Lynyrd Skynyrd) several times.

Thanks Elmo! I'll have to check that out!!!

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1593
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home