Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT RIP Lynyrd Skynyrd's Gary Rossington
Posted by: Milan ()
Date: March 6, 2023 03:05

“It is with our deepest sympathy and sadness that we have to advise, that we lost our brother, friend, family member, songwriter and guitarist, Gary Rossington, today.
Gary is now with his Skynyrd brothers and family in heaven and playing it pretty, like he always does. Please keep Dale, Mary, Annie and the entire Rossington family in your prayers and respect the family’s privacy at this difficult time."

[blabbermouth.net]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-06 03:13 by Milan.

Re: OT RIP Lynyrd Skynyrd's Gary Rossington
Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: March 6, 2023 03:26

RIP to a great guitar player.

Check out Skynyrd live at Knebworth in the late 70's.

Killer band with three great guitarists and a good front man in Ronnie Van Zant.

Sorry to hear.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: March 6, 2023 03:28

RIP

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: March 6, 2023 04:19

So all of the original members are free birds now.

R.I.P. Gary Rossington

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: March 6, 2023 04:33

Lynyrd Skynyrd was my first concert - 1975 in Chicago. RIP Gary Rossington.

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: March 6, 2023 04:46

Respect.

Skynyrd blew the Stones off their own stage at Knebworth.

End of an era.

R.I.P.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: March 6, 2023 04:54

beachbreak
RIP to a great guitar player.

Check out Skynyrd live at Knebworth in the late 70's.

Killer band with three great guitarists and a good front man in Ronnie Van Zant.

Sorry to hear.

Got That Right!

This was one bunch that belonged on stage and together!

Knebworth which leads to this gem:

Lynyrd Skynyrd Old Grey Whistle Test '75

[www.youtube.com]

Pardon the pun, they had more fuel in the tanks as far as future albums and the airplane didn't. See NTSB-ARR-78-6

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 6, 2023 05:01

So sad...damn...

Skynyrd's catalogue up until 1977 still provides me with essential listening...most of it anyways...and Street Survivors may be in my top ten albums of all time...easily top 20.

RIP Gary Rossington

sad smiley

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: March 6, 2023 11:19

Javadave
Respect.

End of an era.

R.I.P.

Nonsense, You can’t “blow a band off the stage” when another band plays in between and they come on six hours later.
This ridiculous story started when Skynyrds weirdo drummer got a little too excited during a VHI special about 25 years after the fact.
I read a million stories about Knebworth 76 before that and no one said anything about the Stones getting blown off the stage.
Skynyrd went over well , they played 11 songs during the afternoon before it got dark and cold outside and sound problems set in and that’s good enough, no reason to get silly.
Good band I saw them in oct 76 from 3rd row In a theater,

Always liked Rossington, good guy and a great guitar player.the world is a lesser place without him.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 6, 2023 14:04

Hairball
So sad...damn...

Skynyrd's catalogue up until 1977 still provides me with essential listening...most of it anyways...and Street Survivors may be in my top ten albums of all time...easily top 20.

RIP Gary Rossington

sad smiley

Yes, Street Survivors showed the potential for lots of growth with Steve Gaines coming on board. I was lucky enough to see them twice before the crash.

Second Helping is pretty damn strong, too.

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: March 6, 2023 15:13

Javadave
Respect.

End of an era.

R.I.P.

Artimus Pyle has dined out on that story for decades now.

I love Skynyrd, but the appropriate response is “So what?”

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: March 6, 2023 15:25

Skynyrd were a cracking band .

The majority of my Stones loving mates when I was a lad in the early 70s got right into the Skynyrd the minute they broke over here in the UK.

For a lot of us back in the day they were our second band.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: March 6, 2023 15:32

Oh man, the line is really moving fast. Solid guitar player from a terrific band. The Skynyrd band did it on their terms, and while their members are gone, the music they made will continue to resonate.
RIP Gary

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: March 6, 2023 15:50

lem motlow
Javadave
Respect.

End of an era.

R.I.P.

Nonsense, You can’t “blow a band off the stage” when another band plays in between and they come on six hours later.
This ridiculous story started when Skynyrds weirdo drummer got a little too excited during a VHI special about 25 years after the fact.
I read a million stories about Knebworth 76 before that and no one said anything about the Stones getting blown off the stage.
Skynyrd went over well , they played 11 songs during the afternoon before it got dark and cold outside and sound problems set in and that’s good enough, no reason to get silly.

Always liked Rossington, good guy and a great guitar player.the world is a lesser place without him.

You are totally right Lem. This all started with “Behind The Music” on VH1. Now people just think it’s true because Artimus Pyle said so. Anyways RIP Gary. And thank you for all you have done

Posted by: kkhoranstoned ()
Date: March 6, 2023 15:51

i did catch rossington collins their first tour in sunrise musical theater
fly on gary

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: March 6, 2023 16:06

RIP

I always liked LS in all their incarnations. The archetype of 3 guitar band.

Posted by: thegroove ()
Date: March 6, 2023 16:50

Skinnerd were amongst the best of the Southern Rock bands of that era.Mr. Rossington was a fine guitar picker ala Curtis Lowe.Gimmie Back My Bullets was a good track featuring Gary.R.I.P.and sail on.

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: March 6, 2023 17:04

Another of the Greats gone far too early.

Now fly Free Bird fly!

Rest in Peace Gary Rossington.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: March 6, 2023 18:00

RIP

Seen them a few times throughout the 90s. Always a great show.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: March 6, 2023 20:09

lem motlow
Javadave
Respect.

End of an era.

R.I.P.

Weirdo drummer? I was just listening to this interview for the first time this weekend. Give it listen and tell me if he's a weirdo. This interview is four days after the plane crash. It was a live radio interview with him on the telephone.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 6, 2023 21:22

Javadave
Respect.

End of an era.

R.I.P.

Many who were there have claimed the same, including several members of IORR over the years.
Whatever the case, Lynyrd Skynyrd put on an outstanding show at Knebworth.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-06 21:28 by Hairball.

Date: March 6, 2023 22:37

The Sicilian
lem motlow
Javadave
Respect.

End of an era.

R.I.P.

Weirdo drummer? I was just listening to this interview for the first time this weekend. Give it listen and tell me if he's a weirdo. This interview is four days after the plane crash. It was a live radio interview with him on the telephone.

He was bazzare. The Skynyd band didn't even want to be around him. Too strange of a person.
I wonder if this is the end for Skynyd for real.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: March 7, 2023 07:45

More Hot Rocks
The Sicilian
lem motlow
Javadave
Respect.

End of an era.

R.I.P.

He was bazzare. The Skynyd band didn't even want to be around him. Too strange of a person.
I wonder if this is the end for Skynyd for real.

Wasn’t there an issue with Artimus of a sexual nature at some point?

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: March 7, 2023 10:58

Oh not again. Very sad, a good band but failed to see them. RIP Gary & God bless.

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: March 7, 2023 19:53

Sad news. An excellent musician and song writer. Thankfully we all still have the music he helped to create!

RIP.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: March 7, 2023 22:39

Very sad news. All of a most talented band are now no longer with us. I've only had their Gold & Platinum album, but since this news broke, I've been listening to all of their albums, and those early albums are all great. The Last Rebel (the one I'm currently listening to) is also a nice album!!! Man, these guys could really play. I think I enjoy them more than The Allman Brothers.

Posted by: xke38 ()
Date: March 8, 2023 00:06

Brief reference to Knebworth here (no mention of blowing anyone off the stage though, or, for that matter, performing on out-of-bounds sections thereof...).

Artimus Pyle Pays Tribute to Gary Rossington

Posted by: Freebird1959 ()
Date: March 8, 2023 23:42

Spud
Skynyrd were a cracking band .

The majority of my Stones loving mates when I was a lad in the early 70s got right into the Skynyrd the minute they broke over here in the UK.

For a lot of us back in the day they were our second band.

Same scenario for me in Holland.

Date: March 10, 2023 04:14

I always liked Rossington’s slide work on I Know A Little. Had a great style of his own. RIP

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: March 13, 2023 17:55

So drawing to the end of Skynyrd's catalog, and I'm struck by a few things....

1. There is an uncanny resemblance to the Stones, in that really Skynyrd's musical legacy stopped in 1977. Many on here argue the Stones stopped in '78. Certainly their last #1 was in 1978. These are two bands that have largely been touring on past laurels for decades as many say 'round these parts. I don't necessarily believe that, but I also know my opinion is in the overwhelming minority, too. Skynyrd only put out 5 studio albums before life changed. They are most definitely 5 seminal albums each and every one. A big 5 if one will. Makes me wonder what might have been had the plane crash not taken place. Could they have been the biggest/best American band ever???

2. Now that Rossington has passed on and they continue to tour with no original members left in the lineup, could the Stones do the same I wonder, given how huge the corporation is??? Let's say Ronnie is the last one standing, can he go out under the Stones moniker with a different lineup, maybe Chris Jagger on vocals??? Not a question of if he would want to, or should, I'm simply asking, Is the Stones as a business THAT big that it will continue touring in some way, shape, or form long after all the originals are gone?

I'm not a huge Zep fan, but I have ALWAYS respected them for having the balls to say we're done when Bonham passed, and sticking to that....with the exception of a rare one-off gig. All members equally important type thing. It's amazing really.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1296
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home