Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Big Star documentary
Posted by: timmyj3 ()
Date: March 3, 2023 03:52

I watched the movie "Big Star - Nothing Can Hurt Me"

They were a rock band based in Memphis in the early mid 70's. They were associated with Stax Records. Many consider their 3 LP's to be classics. I knew virtually nothing about them. I vaguely knew that Alex Chilton of the Box Tops was in the group. Thought some here might enjoy the movie. I streamed it on Amazon Prime.

It was sort of bittersweet as they should have had a better fate. There was/is a renewed interest in the group from the 90's on. 3 of the 4 members have passed on including Alex Chilton.

I did download their essentials on Apple and just started listening. Sounds like mid 90's power pop.

Re: OT: Big Star documentary
Posted by: Ebling ()
Date: March 3, 2023 04:04

Fantastic band. Have really gotten into them over the last few years. It took me way too long to give them a listen.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: March 3, 2023 05:56

Great documentary, I was unfamiliar with their music until watching it, bought the soundtrack to the documentary right after watching.

Really just a good band signed to a label that didn't know how or didn't bother to promote them.

Thought they sounded a bit like Badfinger.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: March 3, 2023 13:18

I love Big Star! The first 2 albums are great and the third is very good. Chilton and Bell both have stellar solo releases too.

Haven’t given them a listen? What are you waiting for?

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: March 3, 2023 13:32

Great band; song writting fanstatic, guitar parts and sound very good,the vocals amazing. Very moody and dark.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 3, 2023 16:20

Great documentary about a truly underrated band in every sense of the word. Like a Badfinger, although even moreso because people actually kinda know who Badfinger was, just a band that got unlucky every step of the way. Label troubles, distrubition issues, band relationships crumbling. Its the classic story, but with songs so good its pretty tragic. I'm glad the documentary really gave them a fair shake.

I still contend their debut album is one of the best. I know there's a lot of "Lennon/McCartney" knock offs, but these guys really had to be up there with one of the best. What seemed like a true 50/50 partnership in Chris Bell and Alex Chilton, and two guys just BRIMMING with what sounded like effortless talent. A song like Ballad Of El Goodo just sounds like its always existed. Chris Bell is a truly tragic story. To me, that first album is everything and its so much Chris thats responsible for it. By album two and certainly 3, it essentially becomes the Alex Chilton show which either you like or don't. I've grown to appreciate and enjoy it, but there's nothing like that first album. Its good every time.

I actually just saw Jody Stephens and a band featuring many other Big Star admirers do all of No. 1 Record 2 months ago, as well as a second set of Big Star classics. It could have been pathetic, but it was actually really fun and sweet. Jody is the only one still alive, and its really nice that people rally around him to keep the music alive. Sure its nothing without the two singers, but the music still resonates and thats enough to make the evening enjoyment. My one criticism of the doc, which they couldn't do anything about, was that it wasn't made a year or two earlier so that Alex could contribute before he died. It seems crazy to have the doc and story without either Chris or Alex participating and somehow they make it work, but that would have been amazing to have Alex actually look back at it with some perspective, cause he barely ever talked about them.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 3, 2023 21:19

The Replacements wrote a song about Alex:

"13" mentions "Paint It Black"

A great one from the Box Tops:

Posted by: Ricky ()
Date: March 4, 2023 01:19

Great and unknown (for the general public) band. The first album is soo great !!!

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: March 4, 2023 01:52

Ricky
Great and unknown (for the general public) band. The first album is soo great !!!

With the exception of "India" that first record is flawless. It should've been huge. The second one is almost as good although I miss the interplay between Alex Chilton & Chris Bell on it. Third is kind of a mess but it's more than listenable.

Posted by: johnnythunders ()
Date: March 4, 2023 13:19

I like India

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: March 4, 2023 13:25

johnnythunders
I like India

Just my opinion smileys with beer

Posted by: ekelundh ()
Date: March 5, 2023 20:00

One of the greatest bands ever. Bell made some really strong melodic songwriting contributions. The first album is a masterpiece with sublime guitar parts and all well played. I love their harmonies. So beautiful.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1873
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home