Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT The Only Ones
Posted by: johnnythunders ()
Date: February 23, 2023 19:33

I have a book on The Only Ones coming out on April 1st (Press Release follows)

Their guitarist John Perry wrote the definitive analysis of Exiles On Main Street

You can pre-order the book now from Rough Trade (signed copies), Amazon UK or The Book Depository - Amazon also have a Kindle version

And next month Record Collector magazine will run an extract from the book as a four page article on the writing and recording of the immortal Another Girl, Another Planet

More here [onlyrockandroll.london]

------

New Book: “It’s The Truth – Making The Only Ones” by Simon Wright

The Only Ones were the most important band to emerge in 1977, artistically if not commercially. Their eponymous first LP presents a wonderful sense of possibilities and excitement, of a band standing on the verge of something fantastic. And the presence of Another Girl, Another Planet – ‘arguably the best rock single ever recorded’ according to Allmusic.com – illustrates how not being a hit can extend the shelf life of a song.

Working from new interviews with the band members, Simon Wright documents the formation and early days of this enigmatic group and explains why they never achieved the massive success they deserved. Illustrated with previously unseen photographs, it’s an account of how four musicians from very different backgrounds made an exhilarating LP which grafted punk attitude onto rock ‘n’ roll rootstock. Odds-on that your favourite musician has this LP in their collection: read this book to find out why.

Contact

Simon Wright on 07957 144073 or simon@onlyrockandroll.london

Product Information

Format: Paperback, 139 pages, 45 illustrations

Publication Date: April 1st 2023

Rsp: £12.99
ISBN 978-1-7392549-0-2
Publisher: Shakspeare Editorial

Quotes from the band about It’s The Truth

'The long summer of 1976 and the drearier winter of 1977 went past in a flash as we rehearsed the songs and organised the band. Within seven days of meeting Alan Mair we were in the studio, putting down tracks that still sound good today. Simon's book is a tour d'horizon of a fascinating time in London and the Only Ones place in it.' John Perry

‘A fascinating look at how The Only Ones got together and in-depth account of recording our first album. Exciting times!’ Alan Mair

‘The best (only?) account of how we formed The Only Ones and recorded our debut LP. Highly recommended.’ Peter Perrett

Biography of Simon Wright

Simon Wright has been a secret punk rocker since 1975 when he was knocked sideways by an early Sex Pistols gig. By day a successful consultant working with sustainable food and drink (and chocolate), by night he is a prolific blogger and vinyl fiend. His previous two books were academic textbooks on the manufacturing and marketing of organic and Fairtrade food and drink. He lives in Wandsworth, where he is part of an urban cider collective.

ENDS

Re: OT The Only Ones
Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: February 23, 2023 20:01

I kinda liked them when I was young. Beuatiful melodies, but it´s a dark landscape...

Date: February 23, 2023 20:27

Yes, dark at times but my book celebrates the music rather than the lifestyle.

And 75% of the band are still alive and there is a gig at Blackpool in August...

Date: February 23, 2023 20:46

Wish you and the band the best. Somewhere out there in the night...

Date: February 23, 2023 22:19

Bjorn - written for Peter’s cat, Candy!

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: February 23, 2023 22:42

Another Girl Another Planet is a masterful piece. One of those ‘one-off’ genius pieces of songwriting and recording. It’s absolutely one of ‘the’ records of its time. Great, casual, tossed-off vocal delivery; and what great guitar-playing. It’s long been a favourite, ever since o first heard it on a free, giveaway CD with MOJO magazine many years ago.

Date: February 23, 2023 23:23

Johnny - Really? Here I have been sitting, thinking, sobbing...not about cats. But who are these girls singing in the background? Lovely! This is my favourite song of theirs. And YES - I have met the real Johnny Thunders. When he was touring Sweden 1984. Ah! Nice talking to you!

Date: February 25, 2023 01:19

From memory the backing vocals on Out There In The Night are by Koulla Kakouli

Still a great track, another single that did not chart

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: February 25, 2023 02:34

Back in the 90s I played in a lot of pub bands, and Another Girl Another Planet was always on the setlist. I recall one long night where we played it twice in a row and 4 times in total under the threat of mild violence if we didn’t. The intro is really cool, the Rhythm guitar then the bass riff, that weird sound before the drums come clear, the drums and then bang the lead guitar just hooks you in. I’d definitely be interested to know how this and other tunes were written. They’re clever songs.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: February 25, 2023 03:29

The Replacements did a fantastic cover of Another Girl Another Planet. Level of fantastic determined by how much alcohol had been consumed.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: February 25, 2023 05:35

crholmstrom
The Replacements did a fantastic cover of Another Girl Another Planet. Level of fantastic determined by how much alcohol had been consumed.

I was just listening to the Live at Maxwells album last night!
They were all the right side of drunk that night, brilliant set.

Date: February 25, 2023 14:50

The Only Ones. The Replacements. And we have The Dream Syndicate too. I´m still waiting for the Medicine Show to show it´s face on Spotify. smiling smiley

Date: February 25, 2023 14:53

Bjorn
The Only Ones. The Replacements. And we have The Dream Syndicate too. I´m still waiting for the Medicine Show to show it´s face on Spotify. smiling smiley

I saw Dream Syndicate on the tour for Medicine Show. They opened for REM's first Seattle show. They were touring to back Reckoning. What a great show!

Date: February 25, 2023 15:02

Thumbs up, crholmstrom (any connection to Sweden?) Excellent songs on that album. smiling smiley

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: February 25, 2023 15:38

I’ve seen The Only Ones perform live, great band and albums, and Peter Perret with his sons in the Paradiso a few years ago

Date: February 25, 2023 17:56

Bjorn
Thumbs up, crholmstrom (any connection to Sweden?) Excellent songs on that album. smiling smiley

My great grandfather was from Sweden.

Date: February 25, 2023 19:13

Great. Lots of Holmströms in Sweden. Knew it. Here´s something for you. A Swedish tv-show, where ten americans, with swedish roots, meet and compete. Fly here.Very touching and interesting. Once you are in to the film, you will hear a lot of english, so dont worry. [www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-25 19:14 by Bjorn.

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: February 25, 2023 20:19

In late Summer 1976 Keith Richards was in their orbit. The Only Ones rehearsed at Keiths house and he was going to produce Prisoners but it never happened.

Date: February 25, 2023 21:54

If any of the above strikes you as intriguing please buy my book! In addition to a walk on from Keith we also have brief appearances from David Bowie, Freddie Mercury, Robert Palmer and of course my namesake JT.

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: February 26, 2023 21:09

Another Girl, Another Planet, City Of Fun and As My Wife Says are barn burners and belong in every rock play list.

Date: February 27, 2023 12:02

Agree with you re As My Wife Says - underrated track 'cos it never appeared on a studio LP. Great dead-pan lyric. John Perry later added an additional riff to the live version which makes it even better [www.youtube.com]

Date: March 31, 2023 18:18

My book is published tomorrow and on Thursday (April 6th) we have the launch at Rough Trade West in Notting Hill Gate. This is sold out but we will be in the pub across the road from around 7pm (Duke of Wellington, 179 Portobello Road). I will bring some spare copies of the book with me if you want to get them signed.

All welcome!

Full info here www.onlyrockandroll.london/category/book

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1954
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home