Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Twisted Sister: Stones Use Backing Guitarists
Posted by: stonerolling ()
Date: February 19, 2023 21:59

"I understand that they use guitar players behind the scenes on nights when they really can't play."

Where's your SOUrce? drinking smiley

If untrue isn't this bordering on libelous?...

Ultimate Guitar Article

Re: Stones Use Backing Guitarists
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: February 19, 2023 22:22

Full interview with Jay Jay French:

Re: Twisted Sister: Stones Use Backing Guitarists
Posted by: Dan ()
Date: February 19, 2023 22:38

stonerolling
"I understand that they use guitar players behind the scenes on nights when they really can't play."

Where's your SOUrce? drinking smiley

If untrue isn't this bordering on libelous?...

Ultimate Guitar Article

Maybe they should sue but then,

We all know Blondie Chaplin way back when would strum an acoustic during some numbers offstage or Chuck's overbearing lead piano.

On another board, someone specifically citing a Columbus arena show was behind the stage was insisting he was watching someone else play guitar offstage but whatevs, not sure I agreed but I wasn't there and not gonna argue.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: February 19, 2023 22:54

That's a kind of worn-out accusation that indicates someone having nothing to lose in the music business. How would it work with a band with such idiosyncracies at play. I've seen Ronnie goof off at the same moment when Keith starts with a solo in a way supposed to confuse people who was really playing it. The whole weaving thing is full of in-jokes known to people who watched more of it. Dave Natale is adjusting the mix live in order for Keith to have his iconic shred moments. Then you have people like Clifford trying hard to add themselves into the mix with guitar and harmonica synth sounds. What would that hypothetical guy behind the curtain even start with is my question

Posted by: daniel t ()
Date: February 19, 2023 23:05

I guess if they used some guys playing guitar behind the stage, the guitar parts would be better. Keith and Ronnie are pretty ''sloppy'' when they play live and it shows. No need to cover this up, and that's exacxtly what we hear in live shows.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 19, 2023 23:10

Hehe... One might think the Stones should have money to hire competent backing guitarists. But no, they sound like two old has-been guitarists, full of sloppiness, fvck ups and whatever... grinning smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: February 19, 2023 23:31

prolly read it here though

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 19, 2023 23:36

If someone "ghostplayed" the guitar solo of "Sad Sad Sad" from the Tempe 2021 gig he should consider a career move! >grinning smiley<

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: February 19, 2023 23:50

Every show is recorded and filmed my hundreds of cell phones. There has never been a ghost guitar in the background. Geez you couldn’t even hear Blondie in the mix either.

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: February 20, 2023 00:12

Take anything and everything JJ French like a grain of salt. He is notorious to spewing fake narratives about Iron Maiden which is typically the exact opposite of what Dee Snider wrote in his book. He is just an attention seeker who is trying to stay relevant. The lies about Iron Maiden have must of gotten old and now he took a swing at the world's greatest rock n roll band. Twisted Sister's most popular year was 1984, by 1985 they were canceling their tour due to lack of ticket sales

Posted by: vedran ()
Date: February 20, 2023 00:39

BS. You cannot hide these things. Even an amateur guitar player could distinguish backing/ghost guitarists from Ronnie and Keith. C'mon....

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: February 20, 2023 00:47

Most the concerts are video taped.Youcould see from those whether they were playing

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 20, 2023 00:55

Dont think we have ta worry till they
need backing singers for the back-up singers ....HHHJHaaaaaaaaaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 20, 2023 08:54

Someone, maybe one of the guitar techs, could be playing backstage along for kicks, unamplified.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 20, 2023 10:51

Total bollocks in my opinion.

But...on new tracks like Ghost Town and Doom and Gloom they are playing along a backing track, and some guitar fills sound specially good and much like the original recording. The guitar riffs sound the same at every gig as well...

Mathijs

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: February 20, 2023 15:13

Mathijs

But...on new tracks like Ghost Town and Doom and Gloom they are playing along a backing track, and some guitar fills sound specially good and much like the original recording. The guitar riffs sound the same at every gig as well...

Mathijs

Chuck has MIDI-equipped keys for sound effects on Doom and Gloom (the spooky noises during the bridge and the funky background chirping on Dance, for example), but that’s the only equivalent of a backing track that I’m aware of.

Date: February 20, 2023 15:27

MelBelli
Mathijs

Mathijs

Chuck has MIDI-equipped keys for sound effects on Doom and Gloom (the spooky noises during the bridge and the funky background chirping on Dance, for example), but that’s the only equivalent of a backing track that I’m aware of.

There is a rhythm track going along with Charlie's drums on D&G, isn't it? Haven't really noticed if there is one on Ghost Town, though.

Date: February 20, 2023 15:33

I guess I am making a distinction between tape accompaniment and things that are meant to deceive the audience. Charlie playing along with a rhythm track on D%G and Sympathy don’t really count in my book. Whereas recorded guitar parts definitely would.

Date: February 20, 2023 15:45

MelBelli
I guess I am making a distinction between tape accompaniment and things that are meant to deceive the audience. Charlie playing along with a rhythm track on D%G and Sympathy don’t really count in my book. Whereas recorded guitar parts definitely would.

Gotcha, and I agree.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 20, 2023 16:23

MelBelli

Agreed. I am not 100% sure, but having listened to Ghost Town live several times I noticed some very neat guitar licks sounding very much the same.

Also on the Newark 2012 DVD, Doom & Gloom sounds impressing professional, but I don't see Keith and Ron do very much.

Mathijs

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: February 20, 2023 16:27

i admit i enjoyed reading all this bullshit, i mean...Keith its true he has arthritis and it's notorious, he feels sometimes and has limited his guitar parts a lot, ronnie doesn't have arthritis, i've seen a his recent concert in here he played in a theater dedicated to Chuck Berry and there was not even a second guitarist, some songs he played and sang without a band.

Date: February 20, 2023 17:14

Mathijs
MelBelli

Agreed. I am not 100% sure, but having listened to Ghost Town live several times I noticed some very neat guitar licks sounding very much the same.

Also on the Newark 2012 DVD, Doom & Gloom sounds impressing professional, but I don't see Keith and Ron do very much.

Mathijs

Could be straight-up overdubbing in that case.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: February 20, 2023 18:07

Doxa
Hehe... One might think the Stones should have money to hire competent backing guitarists. But no, they sound like two old has-been guitarists, full of sloppiness, fvck ups and whatever... grinning smiley

- Doxa

Nothing more to say!

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: February 20, 2023 19:39

BS...

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: February 20, 2023 19:40

I've written about this before but I saw one show early on ABB (Seattle, day before Halloween) where Ronnie partied too hearty with openers Motley Crue & couldn't play. After a very avant garde solo on Tumbling Dice he got turned way down & Keith & Blondie handled the guitars. Keith did all the heavy lifting & it was awesome. Mick was visibly angry at the situation as Ronnie ran around the stage doing goofy Ronnie stuff. By the next show in Portland, Ronnie was in much better shape. He must've had a talking to.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: February 20, 2023 20:04

Natlanta
prolly read it here though

smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 20, 2023 20:25

I'm not gonna take this anymore....

Twisted Sister makes KISS look like a Bach string quartet.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: February 20, 2023 20:30

Rockman
Dont think we have ta worry till they
need backing singers for the back-up singers ....HHHJHaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Rockeeee, hehehe. That is a cute quip!

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: Tantekäthe ()
Date: February 21, 2023 04:56

wow, so it is the behind-the-scene player who we can blame for the notorious guitar slopfest from now on.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: February 21, 2023 05:06

Tantekäthe
wow, so it is the behind-the-scene player who we can blame for the notorious guitar slopfest from now on.

I like the word “slopfest”.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2113
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home