Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Describe the exciting quintessence of the Stones music in a song… specifically…
Posted by: guyrachel ()
Date: February 19, 2023 01:33

What is it that first thrilled you about the Rolling Stones music, for me they’re like a drug and I still chase it, pretty much everyday or every time I listen to them, I’m looking for that unexpected change in pace, lyric, inflection, riff, beat that just makes the boys sound still so unique…most recently I got it from Licked Live in NYC on SMU…(which I’ve never loved live)…and Jagger has a magnificent “yelp” about 3/4 of the way thru the song, and it’s a thrill…

So I thought it an opportunity to pithily describe that flash of something that really turns you on about the band…over to youse!

Re: Describe the exciting quintessence of the Stones music in a song… specifically…
Posted by: sf37 ()
Date: February 19, 2023 02:19

For myself (a fan since the early 80s), two specific elements drew me in to the Stones' music - killer riffs or hooks, and their so-called penchant for the "art of weaving" between the guitars. So unique and special, jumping off the page, these elements (along with their longevity) have kept me interested and intrigued over the years - to see what they could come up with next, with few disappointments.

Re: Describe the exciting quintessence of the Stones music in a song… specifically…
Date: February 19, 2023 02:34

Couldn’t agree more. Are there any specific moments in songs that you can describe?

Posted by: sf37 ()
Date: February 19, 2023 03:04

guyrachel
Couldn’t agree more. Are there any specific moments in songs that you can describe?

Oh yes certainly - the opening riffs of Satisfaction, JJF and SMU, the jazzy non-stop segments of CYHMK, the bridge of She's So Cold, the hooks of Miss You and Emotional Rescue, the "dangerous" or rough atmospheres of Gimme Shelter, Shattered and One Hit (To the Body), the soulful sweet ballads of Angie, Fool To Cry, Almost Hear You Sigh, and Laugh, I Nearly Died.....I'm sure I could go on and on. smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-19 04:08 by sf37.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 19, 2023 03:09

Their vast and varied catalogue speaks for itself, and can't be defined or described with mere words.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: February 19, 2023 03:12

The swampy, evil groove of Dancin' With Mr D. It's like you're down at the crossroads with Mick & Keith.

Date: February 19, 2023 03:25

CYHMK on Licked Live Ronnie’s guitar slide solo really really good!

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: February 19, 2023 04:17

guyrachel
CYHMK on Licked Live Ronnie’s guitar slide solo really really good!

He does not play slide on this song

Date: February 19, 2023 04:20

We’ll lead solo then

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: February 19, 2023 05:06

I’m gonna go with anytime Charlie hits his snare drum.

Posted by: RaahenTiikeri ()
Date: February 19, 2023 10:10

Unique rhythm.
Their life goes on style

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: February 19, 2023 11:39

Jumpin' Jack Flash for mor me. It has all the elements of Rock and Roll explosion. So exciting that it's the only song that's never bored me no matter how many times I've heard it.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: February 19, 2023 13:10

guyrachel
What is it that first thrilled you about the Rolling Stones music, for me they’re like a drug and I still chase it, pretty much everyday or every time I listen to them, I’m looking for that unexpected change in pace, lyric, inflection, riff, beat that just makes the boys sound still so unique…most recently I got it from Licked Live in NYC on SMU…(which I’ve never loved live)…and Jagger has a magnificent “yelp” about 3/4 of the way thru the song, and it’s a thrill…

So I thought it an opportunity to pithily describe that flash of something that really turns you on about the band…over to youse!

Two songs served to establish & cement my lifelong love affair with the Rolling Stones. One was Jumpin' Jack Flash, which I heard being played on the pirate radio station Radio Caroline as I was waiting in a school corridor outside the library, just about to go in and take a pretty crucial exam at the time. I was 13 years old at that time.

The second song was Get Off Of My Cloud, which I heard sometime later. Someone at school had the album Big Hits - High Tide & Green Grass. When I heard that song, life changed forever. I love that song as much today as I did when I first heard it .......

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Date: February 19, 2023 13:12

frankotero
Jumpin' Jack Flash for mor me. It has all the elements of Rock and Roll explosion. So exciting that it's the only song that's never bored me no matter how many times I've heard it.

I agree, a pretty difficult song to tire of !

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: February 19, 2023 13:20

> the exciting quintessence of the Stones music described in a song <

Midnight Rambler

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: February 19, 2023 13:34

Irix

Midnight Rambler

No wrong answers in the thread, but this is the correct one smileys with beer

Date: February 19, 2023 13:37

MisterDDDD
Irix

Midnight Rambler

No wrong answers in the thread, but this is the correct one smileys with beer

In the case of Rambler, I would say LIVE versions, perhaps not the studio version

Date: February 19, 2023 13:38

But as you say, there are no wrong answers. It is down to personal taste, memories that specific songs trigger, and so on .........

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: February 19, 2023 15:19

I know it's considered lightweight by some fans but I think Honky Tonk Women is the quintessential Stones song - classic Charlie drum fill, attention grabbing guitar riff, louche opening line in inimitable Mick drawl, sexual innuendo and nonsense lyrics with the best dance beat.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 19, 2023 17:02

The part in "Bitch" when MJ sings "when you call my name..." : it feels like the song is both going off the rails and raises itself to another level.

This band is unique.

Posted by: ErwinH ()
Date: February 19, 2023 17:31

I love the band overall,
but for me Charlie's timing is fantastic.
Even better... Charlie and Bill playing together is pure magic.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: February 19, 2023 17:55

Yeah, that part in "Bitch" is high energy going to another level. I have to say Midnight Rambler is also a live favorite, especially these days. Maybe even the best part of the concert. Except for JJF of coursewinking smiley

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: February 19, 2023 18:06

Describe the exciting quintessence of the Stones music in a song…

hmmm

I took Talk Is Cheap, the old West German Vinyl pressing from my shelf just half an hour ago. Struggle.

Great song (good mastering). Ok not a Stones song persé but the same feel to me.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: February 19, 2023 18:33

SHATTERED! I had never heard anything like it, the lyrics, vocals, guitar, bass ... Wiki has a nice summary, with selections from various reviews, that sums it up best for me:

Most of Richards' guitar work is a basic rhythmic pattern strumming out the alternating tonic and dominant chords with each bar, utilizing a relatively modest phaser sound effect for some added depth.

Billboard stated that the "heavy bottom and...frenetic vocals translate New York's neurotic energy to music." Cash Box said that "the unique rhythmic undercurrents and Mick Jagger's harrowing chant-like vocals of life in the big Apple make this a top pop winner." Record World called it "rock 'n' roll funk with a flourish."

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: February 19, 2023 18:37

LeonidP
SHATTERED! I had never heard anything like it, the lyrics, vocals, guitar, bass ... Wiki has a nice summary, with selections from various reviews, that sums it up best for me:

Most of Richards' guitar work is a basic rhythmic pattern strumming out the alternating tonic and dominant chords with each bar, utilizing a relatively modest phaser sound effect for some added depth.

Billboard stated that the "heavy bottom and...frenetic vocals translate New York's neurotic energy to music." Cash Box said that "the unique rhythmic undercurrents and Mick Jagger's harrowing chant-like vocals of life in the big Apple make this a top pop winner." Record World called it "rock 'n' roll funk with a flourish."

Great song. Gonna play it now. Thank you for your suggestion.

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: February 19, 2023 19:32

Laid back groove...
Same core, and meanwhile never the same...
Well, at least while Bill Wyman was on board and before they use a BPM counter for their performances.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 19, 2023 20:30

frankotero

Totally feel the same about JJF, as opposed to the stylistically similiar Satisfaction. Not sure why.

I could point to Rocks Off, She's So Cold, SFTD and a number of other examples of that as well.

Posted by: tommycharles ()
Date: February 19, 2023 22:02

Brussels Affair Tumbling Dice is a concentration of everything good about the Stones, imo.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: February 20, 2023 00:15

Exile On Main Street defines the magic of the Rolling Stones for me...so many different grooves, from Jagger's gut-wrenching vocal in " Let It Loose" to the harp intro of " Sweet Virginia" to " All Down The Line" with it's whirlwind tempo to the brilliant intro of " Sweet Black Angel"...all of the songs on Exile are little masterpieces in their own way and of course you can feel the blues running through the entire album. It transports me right back to 1972...I can almost feel the clammy walls of the basement where much of this album was recorded, I can hear Bobby Keyes on sax and the echo of Charlie's drums pulsing through each track. What more could one want from a band?

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: February 20, 2023 15:31

More Hot Rocks
I’m gonna go with anytime Charlie hits his snare drum.

thumbs up

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1903
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home