Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Rarities liner notes: Who is the dipshit author?
Posted by: cbtaco19 ()
Date: November 30, 2005 19:51

I know this topic has been broached elsewhere, but I have tried to put together a comprehensive list of the innacuracies in my review at Amazon. The liner notes in the booklet are embarrassingly bad, riddled with errors. The clown who wrote them just does not know his Stones and nobody connected with the band evidently cared enough to proofread! Please see below and offer corrections or additions:

2. Tumbling Dice- A B-Side from the Wild Horses (unplugged) CD-Single from '96 (which the liner notes author fails to note) is a pretty nifty version but butchered in the liner notes. This is a Stripped album outtake and begins with a lo-fi rehearsal version of the song featuring only piano, handclaps and Mick's vocal for the first verse. This bit was then spliced onto a hi-fi live version from the Voodoo Lounge tour and thus seems to bloom or burst into technicolor sound. Nice trick but the dude in the liner notes insinuates that it is a single take which makes you wonder if he listened to the song all the way through.

3. Wild Horses- This is the exact unplugged version available on Stripped and therefore is not rare. The liner notes guy says that it was recorded before a live audience in a studio in Tokyo. If it was, they are a pretty darn quiet (silent)audience.

4. Beast of Burden- This terrific live version was recorded in Chicago (not LA) on the 1981 tour and released as the flip to the Going to a Go-Go single in '82. It was re-released on a limited edition CD called Flashpoint Collectibles in conjunction with the 1990 Flashpoint live album. This live version was not included on Sucking in the 70's (which was released before this was recorded)as the liner notes state. The Some Girls studio version of Beast of Burden was used on Sucking in the 70's.

5. Any Way You Look At It- This gentle Mick and Keith ballad duet was issued as a Bridges to Babylon B-Side and is a pleasurable tune of its era. The only person who would mistake it for a mid-60's psychedelic pop tune is the liner notes author.

6. If I Was A Dancer (Dance Pt.2)- This disco groover was first released on Sucking in the 70's which makes it common, not rare. It would have been more appropriate to replace this with a Licks tour live version of Dance Pt. 1 which they played at several club shows and can be found on the Four Flicks DVD. The liner notes incorrectly state that this was Ron Wood's first songwriting credit with the band. Not so, he got partial credit for Everything Is Turning to Gold, the great, disco B-side to the Shattered single, later collected on Sucking In The '70's. Don't even get me started on It's Only Rock and Roll.

8. Wish I'd Never Met You- Another great blues put out as a Steel Wheels B-Side. The joker in the liner notes reports that it is "Rarely Played Live...". Uh, how about never.

9. I Just Want To Make Love To You (misspelled as Wanna on Rarities)- Great bluesy, slowed-down version that the band was playing in 1990 on the Steel Wheels tour. Originally released in '91 as a B-Side on the Highwire CD-Single not on the 1998 No Security live album as stated in the liner notes.

13. Let It Rock- Great live Chuck Berry cover from 1971 originally issued as the B-Side to Brown Sugar, this is the best track on Rarities. Bozo writing the liner notes says it was played "Occasionally" on the Some Girls tour. Uh, let me guess, you missed that tour, right?

14. Harlem Shuffle (NY Mix)- This is the 12" vinyl dance single remix released in '86 in order to promote the terrible Dirty Work album. Not only is this the weakest hit single the band ever put out, but I have news for you boys: There is not a single Stones fan on earth that ever gave two shakes for a dance mix of any Stones song. Finally, Mr. Goofus from the liner notes reports that Harlem Shuffle was the first cover song the band had released as a single since 1964. Not so, Going to a Go-Go is a Smokey Robinson cover that the band released as a single in 1982 from the Still Life live album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-11-30 19:56 by cbtaco19.

Re: Rarities liner notes: Who is the dipshit author?
Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: November 30, 2005 19:56

Ha, ha! Glad you agree the guy's a prat. Tom Moon, his name is. Probably a pseudonym for that well known Stones historian, Archibald Shithead Jnr.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-11-30 19:56 by Nikolai.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: November 30, 2005 19:57

I would have been surprised if they would have gotten it all correct, and that all tracks had actually been rare.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-11-30 19:58 by erikjjf.

Date: November 30, 2005 19:58

Don't forget two more inaccuracies:

1. The front cover is missing Bill Wyman (who is on the original picture)

2. Bill Wyman (Rolling Stones bassist for 27 years) isn't mentioned even once in the booklet

The songs are ok but the compilation is awful.

Posted by: micawber ()
Date: November 30, 2005 20:57

The quality of production (Live licks!) and/or artwork of at least the last 5 official releases is very poor, but the worst they ever did were the shitty booklets to ABB and rarities. Perhaps they have to save money... Just poor.

Posted by: cirrhosis ()
Date: November 30, 2005 21:13

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-12-23 00:52 by cirrhosis.

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: November 30, 2005 21:15

Nikolai Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ha, ha! Glad you agree the guy's a prat. Tom
> Moon, his name is.

the jig's up Moon......and the moon's up Jig

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-11-30 21:24 by Leonard Keringer.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: November 30, 2005 22:22

Question is: Why did the Stones let this happen?

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: November 30, 2005 22:25

retired_dog Wrote:
> Question is: Why did the Stones let this happen?

Since the Live Licks Rocks Off disaster, anything can happen.

Date: November 30, 2005 22:27

retired_dog Wrote:
> Question is: Why did the Stones let this happen?

they probably haven't seen thier own records for years.
No i'm sure they have. They just don't know whats cool anymore and are surrounded by 'yes' men

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: November 30, 2005 22:34

DGS said:

surrounded by 'yes' men

I think that's a lot of the problem. Elvis' Memphis Mafia (so-called pals) insulated him from the real world near the end. Afraid that's happening to our boys.

Posted by: drake ()
Date: November 30, 2005 22:35

Anyone who feels like dropping Mr. Moon an email... smiling smiley

[www.philly.com]

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: November 30, 2005 22:44

erikjjf Wrote:
> retired_dog Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Question is: Why did the Stones let this
> happen?
>
>
> Since the Live Licks Rocks Off disaster, anything
> can happen.

And there is this scientific theory that anything that can happen,
actually happens one day...OH MY GOD!

Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: December 1, 2005 01:01

It's funny...

As much of a hack as this guy is, and with all the inaccuracies and distortions of the "Rarities" notes, they still manage to be less annoying than erstwhile "Rolling Stone" mag fool David Wild's "Forty Licks" notes.

If you want to be irritated and appalled with the Stones'/Virgin's judgement, take a look at his dopey, pun-heavy nonsense. That essay actually made me feel foolish for buying the package and for caring about the band.

Posted by: Tom Petty ()
Date: December 1, 2005 14:38

Good & fair comments all, especially cbtaco19. This will be the last of its kind (Rarities) ever released officially (at least until mick and keith's kids decide they need some extra bread at some point!) - but really, what a wasted exercise, and @#$%& that gonad muncher who got the liner notes so wrong - whatever/whoever gave him license to print such bullshit in the copy?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 1, 2005 14:51

never ceases to amaze me how the band continually employ people with zero knowledge of their work to do a job like that, which I would wager most of us would do for nothing.

In all seriousness, it would take about two minutes of research to sort those mistakes out. Most of them are so obvious to most people its embarrassing.

The lack of professionalism on recent officially sanctioned Stones releases (eg Live Licks and this latest abortion) speak volumes for how little the band care about this kind of product. I suppose they were too busy devoting their energy to making sure any mention or pics of Wyman were erased from anything to do with the project.

Posted by: gimme_shelter ()
Date: December 1, 2005 14:54

received this from moonie:

Effective Nov.8, I'm on leave, working on a book called 1000 Recordings To
Hear Before You Die. I will be doing freelance work (for NPR's All Things
Considered, Rolling Stone, Blender, etc.) and can be reached via email at:
moontom@aol.com.

For coverage in the Inquirer, please contact:
Dan DeLuca, Music Critic
DDeLuca@phillynews.com
Michael Rozansky, Pop Arts Editor
MRozansky@phillynews.com

Thanks!

Tom Moon
Music Critic
The Philadelphia Inquirer

Posted by: riffhard72 ()
Date: December 1, 2005 14:56

I haven't picked this CD up yet and I fully intend to, but it seems that it could have been so much better than what it actually is.

And I, like most, am apalled that this thing got released with so many innaccuracies in the liners. If I was in a band this big, and this got released without me seeing it and I discovered such slapdashery, I'd go for the throat of whover was responsible and force them to recall it , redo it and do it again!

Date: December 1, 2005 14:57

cbtaco19 Wrote:
> Finally, Mr. Goofus from the liner notes reports
> that Harlem Shuffle was the first cover song the
> band had released as a single since 1964. Not so,
> Going to a Go-Go is a Smokey Robinson cover that
> the band released as a single in 1982 from the
> Still Life live album.

There were three more cover songs released as singles since 1964:

1970 "Little queenie [live]" originally by Chuck Berry (it made #7 in the Swiss charts)
1970 "Love in vain [live]" originally by Robert Johnson (I think they released in France or Belgium)
1974 "Ain't too proud to beg" originally by the Temptations

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-12-01 14:57 by F.U.C. the Captain.

Date: December 1, 2005 15:12

"The Rolling Stones originated in Liverpool and started their career when Darryl Jones placed an ad in the NME looking for bandmates to start a Bluegrass group."

Posted by: Odd-beat ()
Date: December 1, 2005 15:47

'' less annoying than erstwhile "Rolling Stone" mag fool David Wild's "Forty Licks" notes.

If you want to be irritated and appalled with the Stones'/Virgin's judgement, take a look at his dopey, pun-heavy nonsense. That essay actually made me feel foolish for buying the package and for caring about the band. ''

That's exactly how I felt when I bought this one and read this, Rev.!!
I immediately felt sorry I hadn't spent my hard-earned cash on some old LP up for bid on eBay, or on the product of some other contemporary artist who actually cares... Indeed, what a sloppy hodge-podge this comp was...

If you wanna know the truth, I won't buy Rarities. How can you trust such an enterprise when you see this?!

But hey we're bashing here!!... How did that go, "if you don't have anything positive to say..." ???
...Well, don't anybody have anything POSITIVE to say at this point???...

Date: December 1, 2005 16:11

Odd-beat Wrote:
>
> But hey we're bashing here!!... How did that go,
> "if you don't have anything positive to say..."
> ???
> ...Well, don't anybody have anything POSITIVE to
> say at this point???...
>
>

Yes. Thank god they left that ugly stoneface of Wyman off the front. Thank god for that

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: December 1, 2005 17:43

First I have to say it is fantastic that they release a b-side collection and it is cool that it also has edited versions of 12" mixes. What is especially cool about this is, that these versions are shorter than the original versions!
Great linernotes by the way!
And now you can also order tickets to see them in Europe!
Pre-seale is only 100 dollars (but than you are official fanclub member!), and tickets to see them more or less good are only 114 Euro's plus a little bit administrationcosts (per ticket). And they do it for the music, (which they play better and better through the years)that is way they like to play in huge indoor arenas where the sound is 'special'.
I say the Stones are on a mission to play rock and roll, and the ancient weaving will also be awesome!
I go wild!

Posted by: lisalover ()
Date: December 1, 2005 17:45

Me thinks....you are taking the p**s

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: December 1, 2005 17:50

I think the Stones are taking the p**s on the fans.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 1, 2005 19:01

gimme_shelter Wrote:
> received this from moonie:
>
> Effective Nov.8, I'm on leave, working on a book
> called 1000 Recordings To
> Hear Before You Die. I will be doing freelance
> work (for NPR's All Things
> Considered, Rolling Stone, Blender, etc.) and can
> be reached via email at:
> moontom@
> 7;ol.com.
>
> For coverage in the Inquirer, please contact:
> Dan DeLuca, Music Critic
> 215.854.5628
> DDeLuca@p&#
> 104;illynew
> 5;.com
> Michael Rozansky, Pop Arts Editor
> 215.854.2457
> MRozansky
> ;@phillyn&#
> 101;ws.com
>
> Thanks!
>
> Tom Moon
> Music Critic
> The Philadelphia Inquirer
>

Dont think theres much to be gained from e-mailing the guy and having a go at him, to be honest

The buck stops with the people who thought he was the right man to do the job when he clearly wasnt knowledgeable enough about the Stones' music to justify being chosen

They picked him because hes a journalist, not a historian. Thats usually a bad idea, as most people seem to be incapable of being both.

Posted by: BersaGurra ()
Date: December 1, 2005 20:56

Another recent release I would never buy as matter of fact if I find a copy on a street I would kick it! Shame on Stones.

Posted by: Jack Knife ()
Date: December 1, 2005 21:29

He also says of "Mixed Emotions" that it "wasn't a massive hit upon release."
I dunno, but #5 on the U. S. singles chart (he is a U. S. writer) and played on the pop radio channel every hour is a pretty big hit. The Rolling Stones would sell Ron Wood into slavery to have another Top Ten hit ("Mixed Emotions" was their last).

Posted by: cc ()
Date: December 1, 2005 23:20

cbtaco,

What did you mean by "Don't even get me started on It's Only Rock and Roll."? Not to get you started, but you've got me wondering... (or anyone else who can fill me in on what cbt's implying).

cc

Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: December 1, 2005 23:37

cc:

Only that Woody played a role in that song's creation, is my guess.

But that role isn't the same thing as a formal songwriting credit (deserved or not) and so getting indignant about the lack of mention in the context of Woody's song credits is a little beside the point.

Meanwhile, can I get anyone else riled up about what a fool David Wild is? And why the Stones would ever let their greatest hits be introduced by nonsense like the "Forty Licks" essay?

Agggaggggggghhhhhhh!!!!!!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1949
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home