Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Is there any news on the next set of Fully Finished Outtakes?
Posted by: dirk94 ()
Date: February 15, 2023 20:09

Mathijs
TaurocTony
dirk94
mikehat
I seem to remember there being talk of several more discs worth of fully finished outtakes and I'm wondering if there is any news regarding their release?

If anybody would have all the goodies it would be RSTG.

Some of the missing tracks were already released by RSTG late last year. The rest will follow around spring time.

That is not my understanding.

Mathijs

Don't worry, you're not supposed to know everything. RSTG seems to be on top of things.

Date: February 15, 2023 20:12

Mathijs
gotdablouse

Do I understand this right that somehow some piano demos were recorded in the 1990s or 2000s of these well known old songs ? Seems a bit odd ! On the other hand the "100 Years Ago" piano demo from GHS Deluxe sounded very modern to my ears so who knows...

The tracks that I heard have the same piano sound as the '100 years ago' demo, and sound very much 1990's to 2000's to me.

Mathijs

It's so funny you have been all words in all those years, you have never ever shared not even a snippet but only grabbed for free. Is it just lies and manipulation?

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: February 15, 2023 22:08

Mathijs
gotdablouse

Do I understand this right that somehow some piano demos were recorded in the 1990s or 2000s of these well known old songs ? Seems a bit odd ! On the other hand the "100 Years Ago" piano demo from GHS Deluxe sounded very modern to my ears so who knows...

The tracks that I heard have the same piano sound as the '100 years ago' demo, and sound very much 1990's to 2000's to me.

Mathijs

Hey! I was viciously attacked by some when I commented on 100 Years Ago demo sounded like it was not from the GHS era - back in one of the GHS Deluxe threads. I'm glad someone else feels the same! Thanks for all the info, btw.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: February 16, 2023 10:47

LeonidP
Mathijs
gotdablouse

Mathijs

Hey! I was viciously attacked by some when I commented on 100 Years Ago demo sounded like it was not from the GHS era - back in one of the GHS Deluxe threads. I'm glad someone else feels the same! Thanks for all the info, btw.

Good to see that you're still alive and (hopefully) well!

On a more serious note, it leaves the question why Jagger would have re-recorded these tunes 20-30 years after their original release as "piano demos". Demos - what for? Or better: Are these for private purposes only or indeed recorded with a Stones project in mind? The only thing I could think of where old songs were revisited in the studio during the time frame mentioned is the "Stripped" project. Could very well be. However, I'm still not convinced. Jagger's voice does not sound "Stripped-era" imo.

Date: February 16, 2023 11:10

dirk94
Mathijs
gotdablouse

Mathijs

It's so funny you have been all words in all those years, you have never ever shared not even a snippet but only grabbed for free. Is it just lies and manipulation?

That's fresh from someone who registered 13 days ago.

You know that you sometimes have to promise not to share, if you get access to very rare stuff, right? If you do it the person who confided in you will know instantly that it was you who shared it – hence you will not get more in the future.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-16 11:12 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: ribbelchips ()
Date: February 16, 2023 11:10

I really sounds like it's recorded years after GHS for sure, but I think that's mainly because the vocals sound so much clearer than on the album track.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: February 16, 2023 11:35

ribbelchips

I really sounds like it's recorded years after GHS for sure, but I think that's mainly because the vocals sound so much clearer than on the album track.

Maybe this comes from the remix/remastering of the 2020 New Stereo Mix ?

Posted by: ribbelchips ()
Date: February 16, 2023 12:01

Yeah it's a completely different recording of course. Probably recorded in a different studio even...

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 16, 2023 14:03

dirk94

Perfect review, I couldn't agree more.

Mathijs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-16 14:04 by Mathijs.

Posted by: deeeskannnie ()
Date: February 16, 2023 14:34

Mathijs
dirk94

Perfect review, I couldn't agree more.

Mathijs

grinning smiley spinning smiley sticking its tongue out smileys with beer

Posted by: gimme_shelter ()
Date: February 16, 2023 14:46

dirk94
Mathijs
gotdablouse

Mathijs

it's funny that the biggest cowards on IORR always register (with hidden email, mind you) a couple of days before they feel the need to shoot off their mouth.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 16, 2023 15:29

I'd say it is pretty much par for the course these days to equate articulating informed opinions with lies and manipulation. Some of us have been here so long we remember when people just argued over who was playing what and stayed civil to one another.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: February 16, 2023 15:49

Good observation Rocky Dijon.

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: February 16, 2023 20:18

Doesn’t that piano demo of 100 Years Ago sound like Nicky Hopkins though?

Date: February 17, 2023 10:54

dirk94
Mathijs
TaurocTony
dirk94
mikehat
I seem to remember there being talk of several more discs worth of fully finished outtakes and I'm wondering if there is any news regarding their release?

If anybody would have all the goodies it would be RSTG.

Some of the missing tracks were already released by RSTG late last year. The rest will follow around spring time.

That is not my understanding.

Mathijs

Don't worry, you're not supposed to know everything. RSTG seems to be on top of things.

Interestingly, you take all the effort to register here and to scorn me and to boost a bootleg label. A label that as far as I understand is 'run' by someone with 10 aliases on this board and whom is considered a fraud, a label that only has issued remixes of official tracks.

Isn't that all a bit weird?

Mathijs

Date: February 17, 2023 20:22

Mathijs
dirk94

Interestingly, you take all the effort to register here and to scorn me and to boost a bootleg label. A label that as far as I understand is 'run' by someone with 10 aliases on this board and whom is considered a fraud, a label that only has issued remixes of official tracks.

Isn't that all a bit weird?

Mathijs

I don't know what you are talking about. You don't know me.

You are once again so brilliant to draw attention away from yourself, it happens every time you hear the truth.

You are simply lying once again. Anybody can confirm that RSTG has delivered snippets and samples all the way from all releases.

Stop manipulating!

Date: February 17, 2023 23:20

retired_dog
LeonidP
Mathijs
gotdablouse

Mathijs

Good to see that you're still alive and (hopefully) well!

On a more serious note, it leaves the question why Jagger would have re-recorded these tunes 20-30 years after their original release as "piano demos". Demos - what for? Or better: Are these for private purposes only or indeed recorded with a Stones project in mind? The only thing I could think of where old songs were revisited in the studio during the time frame mentioned is the "Stripped" project. Could very well be. However, I'm still not convinced. Jagger's voice does not sound "Stripped-era" imo.

Well to me, I assume it was a similar reason for Following the River ... to add extra content. At the time of Exile deluxe, they had not went w/ a smaller # of bonus tracks yet and I think he added that track to make a more complete 2 disc album.

And for GHS, I similarly think he decided to cut the modern demo (I more feel it was done very recent - as in specifically for GHS deluxe) to add another track for the release.

And, as I pointed out to those that got angry at this -- I definitely do NOT know this, and I did not pass it off as a fact, its just my gut feeling.

Reasons I give are that the 100 Years Ago demo sounds too clean for a demo, words are perfect, playing is perfect, no guide vocals or anything else that points to it being an older demo to me. Most "demos" we have do not have the exact same lyrics, the songs always seem to have some type of alteration.

Date: February 18, 2023 11:28

LeonidP

Reasons I give are that the 100 Years Ago demo sounds too clean for a demo, words are perfect, playing is perfect, no guide vocals or anything else that points to it being an older demo to me. Most "demos" we have do not have the exact same lyrics, the songs always seem to have some type of alteration.

The recordings are fairly mysterious to me. They sure are recorded after 1977 due to the inclusion of some songs from IORR and B&B. The piano sounds very much like Nicky Hopkins, but have the slick sound off Chuck Leavell.

The 100 Years ago version was in tape traders for years, and was noted as being Jagger solo from the late 1980's or early 1990's, just as the versions of Memory Motel and Gangsters Moll he did back then.

Mathijs

Date: February 18, 2023 11:30

dirk94

You don't know me.

Nobody here knows you, that's the problem.

Mathijs

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: February 18, 2023 12:29

The version of Hide Your Love that was added to GHS 2020 is uploaded on youtube as an "alternate mix" but it's a considerably longer demo with halfbaked lyrics so when it's also listed as "alternate mix" on the back of the actual release then these words just don't mean anything anymore.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: February 18, 2023 13:08

I personally don’t like the Jagger piano version. The original album cut one with Preston and Tayloris just great .I also like the Bassey and Griptite cover better. Bassey sings beautifully on that one

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-18 15:01 by Taylor1.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 18, 2023 14:24

Thanks Mathijs for clearing out some things.

I have also had some reservations about the authenticity of 'demo version' of "100 Years Ago". Not only that it doesn't sonically do sound like a Rolling Stones recording from 1972 does, but also that of it doesn't sound like the way Mick or the Stones usually work. That Mick would have written the song that perfectly beforehand, made this perfect piano demo, and like the band would later base their version on that. No, to me it sounds something like done afterwards, just closely copying an already finished Stones track.

But when it was recorded? That's hard to say. Mick's vocals and the over-all clean and polished sound world seem to refer to anything from late 80's to present day. If it is one of similar attempts, like Mathijs suggested, one can wonder what they were done for? What was the purpose?

There was also that Jagger solo version of "Memory Motel" (1987), but that was solely done for a soundtrack (if memory serves), and sounded very different with all those 80's production ideas and Jagger's affected vocals of the day than this pretty 'naked' and straight-forward piano version of "100 Years Ago".

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-18 14:29 by Doxa.

Posted by: mikehat ()
Date: February 18, 2023 14:27

I too think it's a modern Jagger vocal, but I also wonder if the Piano is an isolated part from the original 1972 multi-tracks, with some modern digital reverb etc. added, hence the more modern sound.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: February 18, 2023 15:47

could it be (as leonidp similarly got at above) that jagger's vocals from these songs where extracted from alternate takes from the 70's and then the rest of the songs were built around that in modern times as an effort to create more "outtakes" to fill out the deluxe versions of these albums?

i thought of this because mathijs mentioned that songs from iorr and black and blue are also amongst these mysterious tracks and those albums are notably without a deluxe release

perhaps when mick was considering which album to do after sticky fingers deluxe he realized as others have pointed out that there isn't a lot of quality material left from those album sessions so he decided make some

and the tracks from iorr and black and blue are just remnants from a time when he was unsure whether the next deluxe would be ghs, iorr, or black and blue

i'm not really convinced of my own theory here but it at least provides what i feel to be a more probable scenario for why these confusing tracks exist then just that it was some weird aborted mick solo thing from the eighties

thoughts?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-18 15:54 by ProfessorWolf.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: February 18, 2023 15:48

Good vocal nonetheless!
No idea when recorded...but no later than late 80's.
Tricky one...that might not be Hopkins on piano.
I would expect more typical Hopkins flair on the track than we get here...hmmm...who effing knows!
Haha...the great mystery that keeps this board alive.
Good info also Mathijs.

Date: February 18, 2023 17:24

Eleanor Rigby
Good vocal nonetheless!
No idea when recorded...but no later than late 80's.
Tricky one...that might not be Hopkins on piano.
I would expect more typical Hopkins flair on the track than we get here...hmmm...who effing knows!
Haha...the great mystery that keeps this board alive.
Good info also Mathijs.

Listening again, it more sounds like somebody is trying real hard to play the exact same part as Hopkins, like Chuck Leavell plays Angie nowadays. Problem is that if it is Leavell he would have been given credit.

Mathijs

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 18, 2023 17:42

It was Clifford.

Date: February 18, 2023 18:56

Mathijs
LeonidP

The recordings are fairly mysterious to me. They sure are recorded after 1977 due to the inclusion of some songs from IORR and B&B. The piano sounds very much like Nicky Hopkins, but have the slick sound off Chuck Leavell.

The 100 Years ago version was in tape traders for years, and was noted as being Jagger solo from the late 1980's or early 1990's, just as the versions of Memory Motel and Gangsters Moll he did back then.

Mathijs

Eggcellent info, thanks Mathijs!

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: February 18, 2023 19:43

Could it be Jagger playing piano.It sounds similar to his playing on the Memory Motel on Black nBlue. And is there a second piano, maybe Matt Clifford?

Date: February 18, 2023 20:05

Mathijs
dirk94

You don't know me.

Nobody here knows you, that's the problem.

Mathijs

Don't worry too much, I've never understood why you need to write your name twice, on the top and on the bottom. Are you afraid to be forgotten?

You are pissing on rule number one, you must always bring proof for your news.
Somehow you've gotten away with it for much too long.

Thank God we can rely on RSTG.
And by the way, RSTG never remixed anything, RSTG has always released the real thing.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2089
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home