Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

ISO 1966 Paint It, Black......UK Autumn Tour
Posted by: Kingbeebuzz ()
Date: February 12, 2023 11:44

Shows from the UK 1966 Autumn tour were recorded to create the album Got Live If You Want It.

The recorded shows were Newcastle 1st Oct 1966 both 1st and 2nd shows / Bristol 7th Oct 1966 both 1st and 2nd shows plus it is likely that some audio recordings were made on 23rd Sept 1966 at the opening London show at RAH before it descended into total chaos.

The tour set list (which did not change as far as is known, for the whole tour) was ;

Paint It, Black
Under My Thumb
Get Off Of My Cloud
Lady Jane
Not Fade Away
The Last Time
Have You Seen Your Mother
Satisfaction

All those tracks have appeared on GLIYWI.......except Paint It, Black.

Does anyone have a soundboard recording of Paint It, Black from that tour ?

ALSO.....is it possible to remove the audience sound from GLIYWI with modern equipment or at least push the audience sound into the background so that the music can be heard more clearly? Anyone able to give it a try and post their results please?

Thanks to all who post a reply.

Re: ISO 1966 Paint It, Black......UK Autumn Tour
Posted by: Jan Richards ()
Date: February 12, 2023 12:03

Most of the songs on this record were studio recordings with added screaming on top of the music.

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Date: February 12, 2023 12:24

Sorry JR .... but you are not quite right in your post.

Fortune Teller and I've Been Loving You Too Long are the only studio recordings which had audience screaming added.

Time Is On My Side and I'm Alright are live recordings from UK March 1965.

All the other tracks are soundboard live recordings from the Autumn 1966 UK tour.

You can identify the genuine 1966 tracks by listening to the drumming and the force of the band's delivery........every song (except obviously Lady Jane) is delivered fast and aggressively.......and the Stones had to deliver because before they took the stage they were following The Ike and Tina Turner Revue and The Yardbirds (with both Beck and Page in the band)........the music was delivered with such power that every show was a near riot........I know because I was there.

Posted by: Congratulations ()
Date: February 12, 2023 12:32

Kingbeebuzz
Shows from the UK 1966 Autumn tour were recorded to create the album Got Live If You Want It.

The recorded shows were Newcastle 1st Oct 1966 both 1st and 2nd shows / Bristol 7th Oct 1966 both 1st and 2nd shows plus it is likely that some audio recordings were made on 23rd Sept 1966 at the opening London show at RAH before it descended into total chaos.

The tour set list (which did not change as far as is known, for the whole tour) was ;

Paint It, Black
Under My Thumb
Get Off Of My Cloud
Lady Jane
Not Fade Away
The Last Time
Have You Seen Your Mother
Satisfaction

All those tracks have appeared on GLIYWI.......except Paint It, Black.

Does anyone have a soundboard recording of Paint It, Black from that tour ?

ALSO.....is it possible to remove the audience sound from GLIYWI with modern equipment or at least push the audience sound into the background so that the music can be heard more clearly? Anyone able to give it a try and post their results please?

You forgot 19th Nervous Breakdown.

Date: February 12, 2023 12:45

Thank you Congratulations.......what a mistake!!! (must be age) one of my favourites from the 60s.

Yes you are right 19th Nervous Breakdown was played at all the shows and was a soundboard recording included in GLIYWI.

Thanks for correcting me.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: February 12, 2023 12:46

Kingbeebuzz

Apparently, that technology with sound separation was developed and used with mixed results by that other, lesser known, beat band from Liverpool.
In 2016 they were trying to reduce screams for Hollywood Bowl and in 2021 to separate individual tracks for Get Back documentary and in 2022 for Revolver. That is not an easy and trivial task. It is not simple peak filtering or white noise/static filtering (audience screams are similar but not identical to white noise). I do not know if this technology is widely available.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: February 12, 2023 16:08

There is no comma in Paint it black.

Date: February 12, 2023 16:14

Koen
There is no comma in Paint it black.

Date: February 12, 2023 21:57

Koen............when I bought the UK Decca single on day of release in 1966, the label on the disc (which I still have) was “Paint It, Black”.

As far as I am concerned that is and always will be the title of that great song and I don’t give a .... for any modern woke views about it.

Star Star is and always will be a song that has the words pussy and @#$%& in it. Art is art and no-one will change the way I hear these great songs from The Stones.

I say, bring back Brown Sugar to the set list for the 2023 tour!

It may be 2023 but I was there in 1966 and I am proud to be a 20th century boy.

Date: February 12, 2023 22:02

Please note I did not censor the word @#$%& from Star Star in my post above......the computer did.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: February 12, 2023 23:11

Kingbeebuzz
Koen............when I bought the UK Decca single on day of release in 1966, the label on the disc (which I still have) was “Paint It, Black”.

As far as I am concerned that is and always will be the title of that great song and I don’t give a .... for any modern woke views about it.

It is my understanding that the first press of the single indeed had a comma, but that this was changed not long after that. I believe on the cover of Aftermath (US) it's already gone.

Not sure what all this has to do with "modern woke views".

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: February 12, 2023 23:58

I guess both is "correct" - as is Richard(s), Honky Tonk Woma(e)n, Jumpin(g) Jack Flash etc. You name it.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: February 13, 2023 05:48

I think Keith has stated that the comma in the Paint it, Black title was a mistake. Then again, when they performed the recording on Ready Steady Go!, Mick did add a pause after the ‘it’ when introducing the number: ‘Paint it… Black’ So, who knows what the original intention was, really.

‘Jumping Jack Flash’ irritates me. That’s just flat-out incorrect!

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: February 13, 2023 05:52

Big Al
I think Keith has stated that the comma in the Paint it, Black title was a mistake. Then again, when they performed the recording on Ready Steady Go!, Mick did add a pause after the ‘it’ when introducing the number: ‘Paint it… Black’ So, who knows what the original intention was, really.

Didn't Keith say that was Decca that did that and not the band?

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: February 13, 2023 05:58

DGA35
Big Al

Didn't Keith say that was Decca that did that and not the band?

Regarding ‘Paint it, Black’? I think so, yes.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: February 13, 2023 11:36

Kingbeebuzz

Star Star is and always will be a song that has the words pussy and @#$%& in it. Art is art and no-one will change the way I hear these great songs from The Stones.

well from a fellow 20th century boy (at least the first 9 years)

i have to say you picked a very odd hill to die on

the comma in paint it, blackwinking smiley

that being said it doesn't look right to me that way

but we each love the rollin' stones in our own way so who's to say whose rightgrinning smiley

Date: February 13, 2023 11:39

ProfessorWolf
Kingbeebuzz

well from a fellow proud 20th century boy (at least the first 9 years)

i have to say you picked a very odd hill to die on

the comma in paint it, blackwinking smiley

that being said it doesn't look right to me that way

but we each love the rollin' stones in our own way so who's to say whose rightgrinning smiley

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: February 13, 2023 11:42

grinning smiley

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: February 13, 2023 11:52

Jan Richards
Most of the songs on this record were studio recordings with added screaming on top of the music.

Only I've Been Loving You and Fortune Teller were studio recordings. However, most vocals sound like they were overdubbed. They're just too clean.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 13, 2023 17:07

Perhaps there were problems with the recordings of Paint It Black so there was no usable recording to polish up with overdubs like the other '66 recordings. Gear issues, crowds storming the stage etc.

Date: February 13, 2023 19:16

Jan Richards

The Beatles didn't do that ?

Date: February 13, 2023 19:21

TheflyingDutchman
Jan Richards

Yep. SGT. Pepper was merely The Beatles imitating GLIYWI (having said that, 1963's 'Chuck Berry On Stage' was made up entirely of dubbed studio recordings).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-13 19:24 by Congratulations.

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: February 14, 2023 17:41

BTW: I wonder if they always played Satisfacion intro before The Last Time or was it edited on the album for some reason?

Date: February 14, 2023 20:55

Congratulations
TheflyingDutchman
Jan Richards

Yep. SGT. Pepper was merely The Beatles imitating GLIYWI (having said that, 1963's 'Chuck Berry On Stage' was made up entirely of dubbed studio recordings).

Stg. Pepper?

Date: February 14, 2023 21:06

DandelionPowderman
Congratulations
TheflyingDutchman
Jan Richards

Stg. Pepper?

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-14 21:56 by ProfessorWolf.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 15, 2023 20:29

I'm remembering something about the crappiness of the recording. They really didn't know what they were doing and just hung one mike above the stage? In the back? It would be nice if they could give those recordings the technological boost the BBC tracks got, increasing the bass, etc.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1745
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home