Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

O/T Denny Laine
Posted by: bob r ()
Date: February 10, 2023 19:36

Had the pleasure of catching Denny Laine ( Moody Blues, Wings, Ginger Bakers Air force) in a solo performance last night in Boston --- what a blast ! Great songs, great stories, a all around fun evening from an artist who doesnt get much recognition ! Check him out if he comes your way !

Re: O/T Denny Laine
Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: February 10, 2023 20:03

I’ve seen Denny Lane also. Great show and a great talent.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: February 10, 2023 22:45

I never liked Wings, so can you tell me what instrument he played in that band and are their any Wings songs where his playing stands out?

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: February 10, 2023 23:12

Taylor1
I never liked Wings, so can you tell me what instrument he played in that band and are their any Wings songs where his playing stands out?
He played lead guitar in Wings.

Date: February 11, 2023 00:04

I thought that was Mac himself on occasion ,Jimmy McCulloch and session musicians.Can you point to song by Wings where you can hear his lead guitar? Like MY Love?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-11 01:46 by Taylor1.

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: February 11, 2023 01:48

Taylor1
I thought that was Mac himself on occasion ,Jimmy McCulloch and session musicians.Can you point to song by Wings where you can hear his lead guitar? Like MY Love?

Denny is great and well worth seeing live these days.

"Let Me Roll It"

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: February 11, 2023 02:10

Taylor1

Henry McCullough played lead on 'My Love."

Date: February 11, 2023 02:45

Did he write Mull Intyre

Posted by: bv ()
Date: February 11, 2023 08:53

Taylor1
Did he write Mull Intyre

Yes he did. With Paul McCartney of course. If you care to spell right the song name is Mull of Kintyre.

"Mull of Kintyre" is a song by the British-American rock band Wings written by Paul McCartney and Denny Laine. The song was written in tribute to the Kintyre peninsula in Scotland and its headland, the Mull of Kintyre, where McCartney has owned High Park Farm since 1966.

You have posted three - 3 - ignorant comments in this thread. Why? Please stop pesting other people. If you don't care, or if you are bored, please do not post. I was just about to close your posting access on IORR, due to reports of offending posts, but I will leave it like this for now, I trust you do respect the IORR posting policy from now on.

Bjornulf

Posted by: walkingthedog ()
Date: February 11, 2023 11:29

Everyone knows Say You Don't Mind, so here's another nice one from his Deram period : [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: February 11, 2023 16:06

Good to hear he still plays live, albeit small shows most likely. He was a great partner for Paul, could play Guitar, bass or Keys, sing, he's all over the WOA live show.
Ran into hard times in the early 80s and messed up his relationship with Paul...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: February 11, 2023 17:28

I was once on the grounds of the remote Devon farm owned by Dave Brock, guitarist and founder of the mighty Hawkwind, and I remember going for a walk through the grounds with Dave, and him pointing out Denny Laine's old car, which he had abandoned there, far from any road, when he stayed there sometime in the 80s, I guess after bailing out of Wings. There was also a caravan still out there in the woods, spectacularly decrepit, in which he'd stayed for a while (I think some Hawkwind band members probably stayed there sometimes too). Seemed like a particularly English 70s rock n roll story embedded somewhere in those two wrecks, on Dave Brock from Hawkwind's ramshackle farm.

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: February 11, 2023 19:11

Apparently Denny had a passion for high stakes gambling and didnt come out of Wings with alot of money- he was forced to sell his share of the "Mull of Kintyre" publishing to Macca for $100K, a fraction of its longterm value.

He recruited the last lineup of Wings with Laurence Juber, who has gone on to become a Grammy award winning exponent of fingerstyle guitar and Steve Holley, an excellent drummer who backed Ian Hunter in The Rant Band and the Mott the Hoople '74 Tour a couple years back. Probably the most technically proficient Wings lineup but very short lived (one LP and a UK Tour) Here they are reunited in 2019, audience recording..

video: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: February 11, 2023 19:57

As much as I like Denny Lane he shouldn’t of been inducted with The Moody Blues. The Moody Blues were a one hit wonder which was the song Go Now. He and the bass player Clint Warwick left and was replaced by Justin Hayward and John Lodge. They went on to record many fantastic albums starting with Days Of Future Passed.
Drummer Graeme Edge said they should of changed the name of the band when Hayward and Lodge joined. Two separate bands with completely different music

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 11, 2023 20:55

"Denny Laine is in my ears and in my eyes."

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: February 11, 2023 22:53

roryfaninva
Apparently Denny had a passion for high stakes gambling and didnt come out of Wings with alot of money- he was forced to sell his share of the "Mull of Kintyre" publishing to Macca for $100K, a fraction of its longterm value.

He recruited the last lineup of Wings with Laurence Juber, who has gone on to become a Grammy award winning exponent of fingerstyle guitar and Steve Holley, an excellent drummer who backed Ian Hunter in The Rant Band and the Mott the Hoople '74 Tour a couple years back. Probably the most technically proficient Wings lineup but very short lived (one LP and a UK Tour) Here they are reunited in 2019, audience recording..

video: [www.youtube.com]

Gambling ?! Never heard that story before and it doesn't really fit his "hippie" ways. He certainly was a big spender, he'd bought Brian's old house, had a boat on the Thames, did drugs...Was taken to the cleaners by Jojo when they divorced, that's why he signed off his publishing to Paul ? And it was £1 million pounds according to Paul.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: February 11, 2023 23:48

From Philip Normans book-
The timing could not have been worse for still more embarrassing revelations from a formerly intimate and trusted associate. Since the end of Wings, Denny Laine’s solo career had not prospered and his financial difficulties had multiplied to the point where he’d sold his equity as co-writer of ‘Mull of Kintyre’ back to Paul for £135,000. Now, following his ex-wife’s example, his memoirs of the Wings era were all over a British tabloid, in this case the far nastier and more widely-read Sun.

I recall Paul rebutted Denny Laines claims he was poorly paid in the British press by saying he had reciepts at the office for a million pounds "back when a million pounds was a million pounds"- meaning 100K a year for 10 years.

Date: February 12, 2023 02:35

There's obviously a lot with him. I saw him several years ago when he did all of Band On The Run. Had to twist my dad's arm to go but I was saying "he wrote and was involved in some great songs, and he played lead guitar! He was Paul's righthand man for 10 years, thats not nothing!" and still my dad was kinda like "seeing Band On The Run performed without Paul..." I got it, and we did go and his band was good and we had fun but felt slightly bad for the guy.

Not sure why he and Paul fell out of touch. I guess I feel similarly to him as Mick Taylor. Mick Taylor obviously having a much bigger impact on my musical life, and I believe to be a better musician, but one of those guys that is on a lot of the stuff I loved growing up but then couldn't really find another proper gig that worked for him after that. Do I think he should have gone in with Moody Blues? Yeah, probably. I get what you're saying about it being a totally different band, but they had one album, he wrote the one hit, and that helped them become what they were. Its one other guy and its not like he's ever gonna get in the hall without that. He's not a no name and I'm not saying its a pity thing, but he's part of their story. I do think its deserved since it was their beginning.

Something must have happened between he and Paul that he's literally NEVER guested or played with him again. I know there's literally one photo of the two of them, from maybe around 2000? But just strange. He was such a big part of that Wings band, which I never took all that seriously but Paul certainly did. I'd have always thought he'd do something else, and cause he really didn't I was happy to support him in the ways that he's able to make money now. If for nothing more than just a thank you for the music. There's only so many of these guys left, I hope they enjoy the appreciation.

Date: February 12, 2023 14:38

The split occurred because Denny gave a tell all interview to either the Daily Mail or Daily Express (cant recall, its been so long) and spilled the beans on what a cheapskate Paul is, among other unflattering stories Paul would have preferred to go untold. His ex-wife JoJo claimed the journalists had gotten Denny drunk beforehand which is why he was so forthcoming. If I can find it online, I'll post it. Very embarassing for Paul.
Relations were already shaky after the pot bust/aborted Japan tour because Denny had been the driving force in getting Wings back out on the road and really really needed the money and that was also touched on in the interview. Other ex-members of Wings have mentioned how low their salary was.

Heres's a reference-

Within a few years of his departure and after he fell on harder times, Laine was telling the Sun what a cheap employer McCartney was – the band were all employees, on 70 pounds a week when Wings started with modest bonuses at the end of a tour – and that, successful though he was as a singer and songwriter, McCartney was always reluctant to give credit to to others.

When McCartney was pulling down a million a year off Wings in the mid Seventies, Laine (and others) were on a retainer of less than 6000 pounds, and it went down to less than four thousand the following year.

Yes, he did better at other times when he got a writing credit, but Laine was hardly living the life of luxury you'd expect from a member of one of the most successful groups of its era.

His wife Jo Jo – never popular with the Macs, Linda thought she was a groupie making good – has also been very outspoken about the money, or lack of it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-12 14:47 by roryfaninva.

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: February 12, 2023 14:54

IMO Wings made some good music. I always enjoyed Mr. Laine's playing. I am sure that was a fun show in Boston a few nights ago.

In regards to Mr. Laine's relationship with Paul McCartney, I see the author Philip Norman referenced earlier in this thread. From having the misfortune of reading previous books authored by Mr. Norman I would seriously question the veracity of anything he wrote. I have found his books poorly written, filled full of conjecture, and poorly researched.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: February 12, 2023 16:06

Rocky Dijon
"Denny Laine is in my ears and in my eyes."

>grinning smiley<

Date: February 13, 2023 18:21

roryfaninva
The split occurred because Denny gave a tell all interview to either the Daily Mail or Daily Express (cant recall, its been so long) and spilled the beans on what a cheapskate Paul is, among other unflattering stories Paul would have preferred to go untold. His ex-wife JoJo claimed the journalists had gotten Denny drunk beforehand which is why he was so forthcoming. If I can find it online, I'll post it. Very embarassing for Paul.
Relations were already shaky after the pot bust/aborted Japan tour because Denny had been the driving force in getting Wings back out on the road and really really needed the money and that was also touched on in the interview. Other ex-members of Wings have mentioned how low their salary was.

Heres's a reference-

Within a few years of his departure and after he fell on harder times, Laine was telling the Sun what a cheap employer McCartney was – the band were all employees, on 70 pounds a week when Wings started with modest bonuses at the end of a tour – and that, successful though he was as a singer and songwriter, McCartney was always reluctant to give credit to to others.

When McCartney was pulling down a million a year off Wings in the mid Seventies, Laine (and others) were on a retainer of less than 6000 pounds, and it went down to less than four thousand the following year.

Yes, he did better at other times when he got a writing credit, but Laine was hardly living the life of luxury you'd expect from a member of one of the most successful groups of its era.

His wife Jo Jo – never popular with the Macs, Linda thought she was a groupie making good – has also been very outspoken about the money, or lack of it.

Wow, never knew any of that! Very interesting.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2015
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home