Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
‘The Rolling Stones Chronicles’ Online Series Launched By ABKCO Films
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: February 9, 2023 17:57

The collection consists of six documentary shorts, each one taking a different hit song from the band’s 1960s era as its soundtrack.

Published on February 9, 2023
By Paul Sexton

ABKCO Films has today (9) launched its The Rolling Stones Chronicles series on its Vevo-hosted YouTube channel. The collection, co-produced by BBC Motion Gallery and ABKCO, consists of six documentary shorts, each one taking a different hit song from the band’s 1960s era as its soundtrack.

The music is combined with thematically relevant interview clips with the Stones and other contemporaneous historical figures, interspersed with historical documentary footage of related world events of the era. The episodes will appear every Thursday between today and March 16, with Episode 1 – The Last Time now available to view.

The film centers on the Stones’ 1965 hit single of that name, released in February in the UK, where it went to No.1, and March in the US, where it made No.9. It explains the deep influence that early rock’n’roll and Chicago blues had on the band, and the irony that the British Invasion effectively sold American culture back to its country of origin.

The episode features footage of B.B. King, Little Richard, and many of the Stones’ other heroes. We also hear Marshall Chess, of the Chess Records family dynasty, recounting the story of meeting the Londoners and inviting them to record in Chicago. Another highlight of Episode 1 is Keith Richards describing the famous day he ran into Mick Jagger on a train, the latter clutching seminal (but largely unknown at the time) R&B and blues records. He recalls thinking: “What you’ve got under your arm is worth robbing.”

Future episodes of The Rolling Stones Chronicles will be based around the seismic cultural shifts that took place between 1965 and 1969, in which the group were of course central players. Episode 2 – (I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction, released on February 16, is set to that enduring signature and follows the theme of sexual liberation, with a brief and amusing nod to David Bowie’s (then Jones) Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Long-haired Men.

Episode 3 – She’s A Rainbow, available from February 23, focuses on the explosion of psychedelics and the infamous “Redlands bust,” at which Jagger, Richards, singer Marianne Faithfull, and other friends were arrested for drug possession at Richards’ home.

Episode 4, on March 2, is set to “Street Fighting Man,” the Stones classic that was inspired in part by the 1968 student upheaval in Paris and elsewhere. It documents the intense social unrest of the day, fueled by the struggle for racial equality, gay rights, the anti-Vietnam War movement, student demonstrations and the Troubles in Northern Ireland. Featured audio/visual clips include those with Martin Luther King Jr. and Muhammad Ali, the latter stating: “My people first deserve freedom, justice, and equality.”

Episode 5 – Jumpin’ Jack Flash (March 9) addresses the dual nature of technology and its hyper-acceleration during the birth of the computer age. The Cold War, the space race, and innovation in recording techniques are interwoven with footage of nuclear testing, astronauts, and footage of the Stones recording at Olympic Studios, as featured in Jean-Luc Godard’s film Sympathy for the Devil.

The final installment, Episode 6 – Gimme Shelter, arrives on March 16, soundtracked by 1969’s haunting opening track on the Let It Bleed album. That’s the backdrop for the theme of revolution and turmoil that ended the 1960s, depicted in the hippie movement, the funeral for original Stones guitarist Brian Jones and the Hyde Park concert just after his death, and the tragedy of Altamont. “Most young people are dissatisfied with the generation which they think is running their lives,” Jagger explains to an interviewer. Asked “What things are you dissatisfied with?,” he replies “The generation that runs our lives.”

Robin Klein, executive producer of the series, says: “The Rolling Stones Chronicles puts the band’s music in context with history. While they were very much of that time, the Rolling Stones themselves served as a vehicle for, and reflected and inspired change.”

Samira Choudhury, Producer for BBC Motion Gallery adds: “This project provided a unique opportunity to unearth contemporary and authentic voices from the BBC’s rich archive to give deeper meaning to the Rolling Stones’ most influential records, and show how the cultural and societal shifts of the 60s still resonate today.”

Watch The Rolling Stones Chronicles at the official ABKCO YouTube channel.

[www.udiscovermusic.com]

Re: ‘The Rolling Stones Chronicles’ Online Series Launched By ABKCO Films
Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: February 9, 2023 18:42

Fantastic Groovy vibe!
Thanks for posting.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: February 9, 2023 19:10

"The Rolling Stones Chronicles Mini-Documentary Series Now Streaming" - [www.ABKCO.com] , [Twitter.com] , [www.Facebook.com] , [www.Instagram.com] .

Trailer - [www.YouTube.com] :

The Rolling Stones Chronicles release schedule:

Feb 09: The Rolling Stones Chronicles – The Last Time (EP1)
Feb 16: The Rolling Stones Chronicles – (I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction (EP2)
Feb 23: The Rolling Stones Chronicles – She’s A Rainbow (EP3)
Mar 02: The Rolling Stones Chronicles – Street Fighting Man (EP4)
Mar 09: The Rolling Stones Chronicles – Jumpin’ Jack Flash (EP5)
Mar 16: The Rolling Stones Chronicles – Gimme Shelter (EP6)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-11 14:55 by Irix.

Date: February 9, 2023 19:20

The Rolling Stones Chronicles - The Last Time (EP1):

[www.YouTube.com]

The Rolling Stones Chronicles - (I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction (EP2):

[www.YouTube.com]

The Rolling Stones Chronicles - She’s A Rainbow (EP3):

[www.YouTube.com]

The Rolling Stones Chronicles - Street Fighting Man (EP4):

[www.YouTube.com]

The Rolling Stones Chronicles - Jumpin’ Jack Flash (EP5):

[www.YouTube.com]

The Rolling Stones Chronicles - Gimme Shelter (EP6):

[www.YouTube.com]

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-23 16:05 by Irix.

Posted by: BFR ()
Date: February 9, 2023 19:21

Thanks for posting! I'm looking forward to watching these.

Posted by: BFR ()
Date: February 10, 2023 04:13

Documentary “shorts” is right. The first episode is less than 4 minutes long confused smiley

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: February 10, 2023 22:35

Nice. But then all these documentaries bring me back to the point why I'm a Stones fan in the first place - I want unreleased music! And perfectly restored video from whatever live or TV appearances that are still existing in the archives. Was it really impossible to give us more than a handful of (admittedly great) 60's promo videos on YouTube for their 60th Anniversary that show that ABKCO and the Stones can indeed cooperate if they really want to?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-10 22:36 by retired_dog.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 11, 2023 07:00

They didn't really go into the song. I'm sure I'll watch them all, but their only little snacks.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: February 11, 2023 07:51

Definitely a generous definition of "documentary." The first one was as deep as a puddle.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 11, 2023 08:52

Who wants yesterdays papers ????????

ROCKMAN

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 11, 2023 17:14

Well looking forward to Gimme Shelter, which by my count should be about a minute longer.

It's actually a cool concept...jam a mini-documentary into the length of a song representing the era.

They probably could have come up with a clearer title for the series...The Rolling Stones Chronicles gives the impression this would have been a little deeper delve.

The Rolling Stones Chronicles - 6 part YouTube series
Posted by: rayrad ()
Date: February 14, 2023 10:39

details here:

[www.loudersound.com]

Re: The Rolling Stones Chronicles - 6 part YouTube series
Date: February 14, 2023 10:41

rayrad

details here:

And here: [iorr.org] .

Re: The Rolling Stones Chronicles - 6 part YouTube series
Posted by: rayrad ()
Date: February 14, 2023 10:55

Irix
rayrad

details here:

And here: [iorr.org] .

ah - apologies

scanned down the list of topics and didn't see it - my bad

Date: February 14, 2023 16:20

The RS Chronicles, Episode 2 (Satisfaction) is ready for premiere on 16-Feb-2023 - see above: [iorr.org] .

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: February 14, 2023 16:43

treaclefingers
They probably could have come up with a clearer title for the series...The Rolling Stones Chronicles gives the impression this would have been a little deeper delve.

Yeah I saw this a few days ago, was expecting something like that Beatles series the then 3 living Beatles participated in that was 5-10 hours long, once I saw the length of these it didn't even seem worth posting about.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 16, 2023 05:44

kovach
treaclefingers

Yeah I saw this a few days ago, was expecting something like that Beatles series the then 3 living Beatles participated in that was 5-10 hours long, once I saw the length of these it didn't even seem worth posting about.

what it is, is 'kind of neat'. What it is not is a 'chronicle'.

Date: February 16, 2023 18:53

The Rolling Stones Chronicles - (I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction (EP2)

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: February 16, 2023 19:25

bye bye johnny
The Rolling Stones Chronicles - (I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction (EP2)

"Do you think that there is any danger of the Stones becoming part of the establishment?"grinning smiley

Date: February 23, 2023 16:29

The Rolling Stones - Chronicles - She’s A Rainbow (EP3)

Date: March 2, 2023 16:28

The Rolling Stones - Chronicles - Street Fighting Man (EP4)

Date: March 9, 2023 17:30

On 10-Mar-2023 there's a 6-Track streaming EP ‘The Rolling Stones Chronicles’ released:

1. The Last Time (Mono) 3:41
2. (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction (Mono) 3:42
3. She's A Rainbow 4:13
4. Street Fighting Man (50th Anniversary Edition / Remastered 2018) 3:13
5. Jumpin' Jack Flash (Mono Version) 3:41
6. Gimme Shelter (Remastered 2019) 4:30

[www.Qobuz.com] , [Music.Apple.com] , [open.Spotify.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-10 01:05 by Irix.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: March 16, 2023 22:51

Date: March 16, 2023 23:30

Episode 6 (Gimme Shelter) was actually promised for 16-Mar-2023, but wasn't released yet.

Date: March 16, 2023 23:57

Irix
Episode 6 (Gimme Shelter) was actually promised for 16-Mar-2023, but wasn't released yet.

yeah i'll have to keep looking

gotta complete the setsmiling smiley

Date: March 17, 2023 23:45

Edit: the video was shortly available on ABKCOVEVO but was then removed from YouTube.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-18 00:55 by Irix.

Date: March 18, 2023 05:21

Irix

Edit: the video was shortly available on ABKCOVEVO but was then removed from YouTube.

damn!

and i've been looking forward to having all of them too

did you manage to download it and could you or someone else share it?

wonder what the holdup is?

Date: March 18, 2023 10:00

The original version of episode 6 about Gimme Shelter (length 4m:21s) was shortly available on YouTube via ABKCOVEVO (13th & 17th March 2023) but was then removed from there. Maybe due to rights issues on some historic video material. The original version was more or less just about the protests and political circumstances of that time, depicted in video images with GS as background track. It started with the Hippie movement, showed then mostly historical background and ended with an interview snippet of Mick Jagger (same as in the beginning of the Trailer). Can't remember anything new or special about the band. Had not saved the original version because I've found this version not that interesting. But it was ok to watch it once.

On a side note: episode 4 about Street Fighting Man had no age restriction originally - this came just several days later.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-23 16:30 by Irix.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 18, 2023 10:04

there ya go .... not that interesting ...

ROCKMAN

Date: March 18, 2023 10:25

Rockman

.... not that interesting ...

The YouTube numbers of views seem to speak for that.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1435
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home