Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Do shows vary less than they used to, and if so, why?
Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: February 6, 2023 22:49

In the Springsteen thread, it's been mentioned he hasn't varied his setlists like he used to. Bob Dylan is doing the same.

Shows recently seem more generic than in previous years (since 1994). Identical (or nearly) setlists, same start and end times, same banter, etc. seem to be the norm. I know this has always been the way for some bands, but now it seems to have impacted Dylan and Springsteen. Although some still greatly vary their setlists- Pearl Jam, Billy Strings, MMJ.., it seems almost every band has to fit into a prepackaged box.

Wondering if TM/LiveNation have any rules that bands must abide by. For example, you must play x amount of time, start right at 9:15 and leave the stage before 11:00.

Is anyone in the know?

Re: OT: Do shows vary less than they used to, and if so, why?
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: February 6, 2023 22:53

The Cure & NIN vary their sets every night, too.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 6, 2023 23:24

The Stones have been doing it for a very long time, going back to the 60s. Tiny variations of the setlist if they're in a town for more than one night. It makes sense. They were the first to really micro-manage a tour like clockwork. It makes all the ancillary parts of a concert, the lighting, audio, work in sync. There's so many musicians on stage at a current day Springsteen concert it might be a nightmare to change up the setlists by much each night.

I think the Stones, and it may be too late, should have done more things like the Sticky Fingers concert at the Fonda in Los Angeles. It's a great promotional tool, and a great evergreen product for sale. For me, personally, it was the last Stones concert (on DVD/Blu-Ray) that I really liked.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 7, 2023 00:07

24FPS
The Stones have been doing it for a very long time, going back to the 60s. Tiny variations of the setlist if they're in a town for more than one night. It makes sense. They were the first to really micro-manage a tour like clockwork. It makes all the ancillary parts of a concert, the lighting, audio, work in sync. There's so many musicians on stage at a current day Springsteen concert it might be a nightmare to change up the setlists by much each night.

I think the Stones, and it may be too late, should have done more things like the Sticky Fingers concert at the Fonda in Los Angeles. It's a great promotional tool, and a great evergreen product for sale. For me, personally, it was the last Stones concert (on DVD/Blu-Ray) that I really liked.

That's a great point. I think they're trying to release more 'notable' shows like that GRRR! PPV, El Mocambo, Steel Wheels NJ but they're running out of those marquee shows.

Doing an entire album is pretty unique and fun for the fans and yes something that you'd want to own a copy of.

Posted by: Congratulations ()
Date: February 7, 2023 00:08

Why? Age.

In the 70s & 80s, Jerry Lee Lewis was probably the most unpredictable performer on the planet. For the last decade of his life, he pretty much did the same set every night.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: February 7, 2023 00:18

Congratulations
Why? Age.

This.

Simple as that.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: February 7, 2023 00:32

RisingStone
Congratulations
Why? Age.

This.

Simple as that.

I can understand that.

Apart from the identical setlists issue, it seems bands are playing longer (than in the 1990s), and from night to night, the start and end times are predictable. Not only that, but I don’t hear of shows going deep into the night (like the old GNR who would start late).

Are start/end times in bands’ contracts with Ticketmaster or LiveNation?

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: February 7, 2023 01:04

Another reason to stick with the same setlist is the complex light shows now a days. A number of bands also use pyro/lasers.
Saw Elton 3 times on this farewell tour and all 3 were identical. I commented that it's almost like a musical where it's the same thing every time.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: February 7, 2023 01:41

DGA35
Another reason to stick with the same setlist is the complex light shows now a days. A number of bands also use pyro/lasers.
Saw Elton 3 times on this farewell tour and all 3 were identical. I commented that it's almost like a musical where it's the same thing every time.

Roger Waters shows are always the same. Last tour he changed up the encores a little but that was it. I don't think he did that last/current tour. His light show & stage were unreal.

Date: February 7, 2023 02:17

crholmstrom
DGA35

Roger Waters shows are always the same. Last tour he changed up the encores a little but that was it. I don't think he did that last/current tour. His light show & stage were unreal.

Saw Roger in Vancouver Oct 2017, great concert even though I'm not a huge Floyd fan. The laser pyramid was unreal!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 7, 2023 06:04

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-07 12:06 by Rockman.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: February 7, 2023 11:10

DGA35

thumbs up For better or worse, whether we like it or not, shows today are mammoth minutely choreographed sound and light productions. They just don't lend themselves to any impromptu variation. Even the token "song vote" numbers have to be "scripted" and "stage managed".

That goes a long way to explaining the lack of set list variation mid tour...but it doesn't cover the reluctance to cover more different songs in the production from one tour to the next .

That's just down to the belief that the bulk of the audience just want the hits and "warhorses", which is sadly true.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-07 11:15 by Spud.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 7, 2023 18:38

Tommy James plays the same songs in the same order every show. Even the jokes.

Still a lot of fun, though. And in the original keys.

Date: February 7, 2023 19:06

Spud
DGA35

thumbs up For better or worse, whether we like it or not, shows today are mammoth minutely choreographed sound and light productions. They just don't lend themselves to any impromptu variation. Even the token "song vote" numbers have to be "scripted" and "stage managed".

That goes a long way to explaining the lack of set list variation mid tour...but it doesn't cover the reluctance to cover more different songs in the production from one tour to the next .

That's just down to the belief that the bulk of the audience just want the hits and "warhorses", which is sadly true.

Apart from the Stones and AC/DC, I want to hear nothing but hits by bands. I'm a Springsteen fan but don't know all the deep cuts from his albums. He's a great example of me wanting to hear his greatest hits. Elton is doing all his hits on this farewell tour.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: February 7, 2023 19:31

well, Dylan has changed his 'unique setlist on every show'-policy in 2013. But on the other hand: He has changed his standard setlist during the last ten years a couple of times. In fact not a single song from his first standard setlist 'survived' (the last one to survive was 'Early Roman Kings' but that song has been put to rest on 2022).
Thinking about artist talking on stage: I never heard Dylan talking so much on stage as in 2021 (in fact I heard him saying more words at his three NYC shows than in all other 150+ shows combined that I saw before)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-07 19:33 by slewan.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2165
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home