Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Rock and Roll Circus - revisited
Date: March 18, 2023 09:25

24FPS
Taylor1
treaclefingers
24FPS
It finally hit me that this may have been the straw that broke the camel's back. I think Mick saw how pitiful and superfluous (excepting No Expectations) Brian was. The Stones would need more in order to tour, but Brian would have been a liability, not a positive. The film couldn't hide how lost he was. How could they broadcast such a damning show? They would have been inundated with questions about Brian.

They made ninety percent of Beggar's Banquet without him. No more novelty instrumentation. That period in rock and pop was over. It was all guitars now, the instrument Brian practically abandoned.

Yup, think you nailed it. Must have pissed them off too...all that creative energy going into it only to feel they needed to shelve it.
Brian played on every track on Beggars except Factory Girl and maybe Salt of the Earth.Ge wasn’t missing from99 percent if the album.Let it Bleed he contributed nothing

He played autoharp on You Got The Silver and percussion on Midnight Rambler. (Though I have no idea what that means. I certainly don't hear anything distinctive).

As for Beggars he contributes guitar on No Expectations, sitar on SFM, and mellotron a couple other places. It's kind of hit and miss whether he played harmonica or acoustic guitar in a couple places.

He's on 7 or 8 tracks on BB. On MR he's banging the drums in the Boston-part, isn’t he?

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: March 18, 2023 12:33

24FPS
Taylor1
treaclefingers
24FPS
It finally hit me that this may have been the straw that broke the camel's back. I think Mick saw how pitiful and superfluous (excepting No Expectations) Brian was. The Stones would need more in order to tour, but Brian would have been a liability, not a positive. The film couldn't hide how lost he was. How could they broadcast such a damning show? They would have been inundated with questions about Brian.

They made ninety percent of Beggar's Banquet without him. No more novelty instrumentation. That period in rock and pop was over. It was all guitars now, the instrument Brian practically abandoned.

Yup, think you nailed it. Must have pissed them off too...all that creative energy going into it only to feel they needed to shelve it.
Brian played on every track on Beggars except Factory Girl and maybe Salt of the Earth.Ge wasn’t missing from99 percent if the album.Let it Bleed he contributed nothing

He played autoharp on You Got The Silver and percussion on Midnight Rambler. (Though I have no idea what that means. I certainly don't hear anything distinctive).

As for Beggars he contributes guitar on No Expectations, sitar on SFM, and mellotron a couple other places. It's kind of hit and miss whether he played harmonica or acoustic guitar in a couple places.
His mellotron on Jigsaw puzzle and Stray Cat Blues is outstanding ditto his guitar on No Expectations and sitar on Street Fighting ManHis harmonica on Dear Doctor, Prodigal Son and Parachute Woman is audible and contributes to the songs. Some people claim here he also plays guitar on Salt of the Earth.He also played on Jumping Jack Flash,Still a Fool and Child ofthe Moon. Had he not been busted in May 1968, he might have added more to the albumWhereas on Let it Bleed his contributions add nothing to the songs. I’d argue he was at least as dominant musically on Satanic Majesties with his mellotron,sax and autoharp as Keith .I personally like his contributions to Beggars more than his subdued work on Between the Buttons

Date: March 18, 2023 12:54

<Some people claim here he also plays guitar on Salt of the Earth>

Who?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 18, 2023 13:39

DandelionPowderman

Who?

Taylor1

Date: March 18, 2023 13:39

DandelionPowderman

Who?
I have read here posts where people say he may have played on it and Jigsaw Puzzle.Even ifhe didn’t, his contributions are more memorable than anything on Between the Buttons

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-19 01:45 by Taylor1.

Posted by: Zotz ()
Date: March 18, 2023 17:13

I think there is a quotation on the Glyn John's book about Brian coming up to Mick during the Let it Bleed sessions and asking "what can I play?" and Mick responding and asking "I don't know, what can you play?" apparently Brian had re-injured his hand and had not healed properly and could no longer play guitar nor keyboards.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-18 17:14 by Zotz.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 20, 2023 16:34

24FPS
The film couldn't hide how lost he was. How could they broadcast such a damning show?

They made ninety percent of Beggar's Banquet without him.

I agree with first part, the second is nonsense.

[brianjonesresource.wixsite.com]

Posted by: Kingbeebuzz ()
Date: March 20, 2023 18:40

Zotz
I think there is a quotation on the Glyn John's book about Brian coming up to Mick during the Let it Bleed sessions and asking "what can I play?" and Mick responding and asking "I don't know, what can you play?" apparently Brian had re-injured his hand and had not healed properly and could no longer play guitar nor keyboards.

This may well be close to the truth because I seem to remember that some years after Brian died it emerged in the press (?) that Brian had a motorbike accident some time in 1969...........or is my memory failing.

Posted by: johnh ()
Date: March 20, 2023 20:13

A friend bought me the vinyl box for my birthday ( I have great friends ) The Stones set sounds great to me, really raw

Date: March 20, 2023 21:14

His Majesty
24FPS
The film couldn't hide how lost he was. How could they broadcast such a damning show?

They made ninety percent of Beggar's Banquet without him.

I agree with first part, the second is nonsense.

[brianjonesresource.wixsite.com]
I think part of the reason Brian played poorly at the Circus is they were up so many hours that he probably by that time was wasted on whatever substances he was ingesting all those hours.I don’t think Keith played particularly great either , just good.I think he was young enough had he not drowned he could have got himself together.He was such a musical talent.Look at how drugged out Eric Clapton was at the Concert for Bangladesh.He was like a zombie.His playing there was really poor by his standards.And people thought he was going to die around that time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-20 21:16 by Taylor1.

Date: March 21, 2023 02:59

I like RNR Circus.

It's got Brian live on some tracks that just got better over time.

Although I agree it's not the best performance.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 21, 2023 10:48

Taylor1
I think part of the reason Brian played poorly at the Circus is they were up so many hours that he probably by that time was wasted on whatever substances he was ingesting all those hours.I don’t think Keith played particularly great either , just good.I think he was young enough had he not drowned he could have got himself together.He was such a musical talent.Look at how drugged out Eric Clapton was at the Concert for Bangladesh.He was like a zombie.His playing there was really poor by his standards.And people thought he was going to die around that time.[/quote]

It is exactly what the Stones have stated: they started filming the Stones part on the second night of the event, so after 36 hours of being awake and doing and taking whatever to stay awake. Even Keith has stated a number of times it is the one performance of his he doesn't like.

Mathijs

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 21, 2023 11:52

Donyale Luna ................. Brian Jones

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1251
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home