Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
God Gave Me Everything
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: February 5, 2023 18:21

Mick Jagger's God Gave Me Everything is as good a pop rock single as anyone's written

There, I said it lol. Probably the best song I've liked from him since Start Me Up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-05 19:46 by bv.

Re: Mick Jagger's God Gave Me Everything is as good a pop rock single as anyone's written
Posted by: slewan ()
Date: February 5, 2023 19:00

RollingFreak
There, I said it lol. Probably the best song I've liked from him since Start Me Up.

have you been listening to 'Wandering Spirit' (the album not the song)?

Re: Mick Jagger's God Gave Me Everything is as good a pop rock single as anyone's written
Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: February 5, 2023 19:08

Goddess in a Doorway has 5songs that are better than on A Bugger Bang-Visions of Paradise, Goddess, God Gave Me Everything ,Gun and Joy.I don’t think God is quite that great

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: February 5, 2023 19:18

Yeah!
Provocation!
Click bait!
I'm sure this was never discussed before on this forum.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: February 5, 2023 19:31

I quite liked Visions of Paradise. Dated early 00’s production aside, I suppose I may still like it if I could ever be bothered to listen again.

Goddess In The Doorway was my first-ever ‘new’ Stones-related purchase back when released in 2001. I was disappointed.

Re: God Gave Me Everything
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 5, 2023 19:58

Nonsense, of course. But one thing comes to my mind looking at the titles: I think Jagger's solo efforts are as close he got writing an autobiography. The titles are very telling. The music, well...

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 5, 2023 20:15

Sounds to me like an inferior diluted version of Lenny Kravitz' Are You Gonna Go My Way (which isn't very good in the first place)- no coincidence since Lenny was a co-writer for God Gave Me Everything.
While the lyrics and song itself are not quite up to snuff, Micks vocals are absolutely great...growling and snarling and full of energy...but great vocals alone do not make a good song.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-05 20:16 by Hairball.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 5, 2023 20:49

I was disappointed when this came out as a single though I did like some other tracks.

The album as a whole isn't even in the ball park with Wandering Spirit, which I would say is better than any other Rolling Stones or band member related release that came after it, and several that came before it.

Posted by: tiffanyblu ()
Date: February 5, 2023 20:51

Vision of Paradise is wonderful IMO.

But the best of solo Mick is Evening Gown.

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: February 5, 2023 21:57

I Cant Get No Satisfaction!

40 years later: God gave me everything I want!

Does this mean Mick was finally satisfied?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 5, 2023 22:12

Wait till ya hear Charmed Life

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 5, 2023 22:55

NilsHolgersson
I Cant Get No Satisfaction!

40 years later: God gave me everything I want!

Does this mean Mick was finally satisfied?

I guess so, Nils!

Posted by: RaahenTiikeri ()
Date: February 5, 2023 23:03

I really like this song.and whole album.

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: February 6, 2023 00:19

Rockman
On this forum is it legal to admit that you like this one as well?

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: February 6, 2023 04:54

yes its a good song

i prefer the live version from snl personally

but goddess in the doorway makes primitive cool sound like exile on main st.

and i like almost everything the stones have ever done together and apart

but this album aside from a few songs is something i just can't enjoy and i've really really tried over the years

sorry mick

Date: February 6, 2023 15:41

ProfessorWolf
yes its a good song

but this album aside from a few songs is something i just can't enjoy and i've really really tried over the years

sorry mick
Throway, Say You Will ,Party Doll,Radio Control, and Primitive Cool are better than anything on A Bigger Bang and are good songs.IMO

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-06 15:41 by Taylor1.

Date: February 6, 2023 16:14

Taylor1
ProfessorWolf
yes its a good song

sorry mick
Throway, Say You Will ,Party Doll,Radio Control, and Primitive Cool are better than anything on A Bigger Bang and are good songs.IMO

well i like all the songs you listed and all the others on primitive cool plus ruthless people and i'm ringing

but i'm also in the tiny minority of people who like in totality all of abb (vl, babylon, undercover, dirty work, sw, primitive, she's the boss, the winos etc.)

you can't exactly say i don't have an open mind when it comes to there latter day endeavors

so when i say i didn't care for goddess i really mean it

also superheavy except for 2 or 3 songs

but i did like gotta get a grip, england lost and eazy sleazy

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-06 16:22 by ProfessorWolf.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 6, 2023 17:52

Rockman

Amazing, innit? That he can do something pretty damn good, and then something so horrendous?

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 6, 2023 17:56

Imo it's a very good rock song : 4 basic chords repeated over and over to create a powerful effect ("Teen spirit" follows the same pattern).

What might does no good to the song is the MJ "elaborate production trend"© which sounded cool in 2001 but a bit dated now.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: February 6, 2023 18:50

Mick sang "God Gave Me Everything" on Saturday Night Live in 2001.
I used to work at NBC News graphics, which was on the 9th floor of 30 Rock back in those days. SNL is in studio 8H on the 8th floor.

There is a hallway on the 9th floor where the audience queues up for the live show. The hallway is lined with SNL photos and it's also part of the NBC Studio Tour. At the of the hall, there are heavy curtains that open to reveal a glass wall and glass door, beyond which is a balcony and seats that overlook Studio 8H.

When I saw on the house video feed that cameras were setting up for Mick's rehearsal, I took a union break and quickly walked down the hall. The curtains were drawn for the closed rehearsal. But I parted the curtains anyway and entered through the glass door. The seats were all empty as they set up the stage below.

I quietly took a seat and displayed my company ID prominently around my neck to a security guard who had entered to my right and stood silently. To the left, I glanced behind me... I saw Lorne Michaels had emerged from a small windowed office at the rear of the balcony. I sat there, and luckily Lorne didn't have the guard make me leave. I was kinda surprised because it was just after 9/11.

Mick came out and sang and left and then I went back to work.
Can't remember much else.

Edited 9 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-07 16:14 by schillid.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: February 6, 2023 21:00

great story schillid!!

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: February 6, 2023 21:23

Have always liked the album; not quite as good of course as Wandering Spirit, but Goddess for me has stood well over time.

Not everything works, but there are some gems there for sure - Lucky Day, Hideaway, Gun, Blue (B Side), Don't Call Me Up.

Mick's vocal elevates God Gave Me Everything from a grungy rocker to something memorable. The SNL version is indeed great.

Date: February 6, 2023 23:54

Taylor1
ProfessorWolf
yes its a good song

sorry mick
My two favorite SNL performances by Jagger are Don’t Look Back with Peter Toshand Don’t Tear Me Up from 1993

Date: February 7, 2023 04:09

Taylor1
Taylor1
ProfessorWolf
yes its a good song

sorry mick
My two favorite SNL performances by Jagger are Don’t Look Back with Peter Toshand Don’t Tear Me Up from 1993

both absolutely fantastic

great choices

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: February 7, 2023 04:21

Listening to this song I always think of "Being Mick" and the scene when Mick visits Lenny's house. Came across as Lenny wrote all the music himself and Mick only added lyrics.

Posted by: MizzAmandaJonez ()
Date: February 7, 2023 04:39

Following the River is one of my Favorite Mick autobiographical songs, even though its not presented as a solo song

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: February 7, 2023 05:33

When this song was released as a single, a few weeks before the album, I thought wow! a great album to be looking forward to. But alas, the album was a total deception. The single, great!

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: February 7, 2023 08:53

Love this song
Love this album
I love everything this people make
Sorry

Posted by: girl2003 ()
Date: February 7, 2023 21:11

When those records came out the funny thing for me was: The track I liked best was the INSTRUMENTAL GODDESS version on the single.- I couldn't believe it... after years my favourite singer had made a new record after all and the track I liked best he didn't even sing on.- Anyway.

I think there are 4 really good tracks on these records: JOY (on the CD), the instrumental GODDESS and BLUE on the EU-single plus IF THINGS COULD BE DIFFERENT on the Japanese single. (I listen to all of these tracks to this day... from time to time)

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: February 7, 2023 22:49

I really like Brand New Set Of Rules

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1600
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home