Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT (probably) Desert Trip 2023
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: February 5, 2023 03:46

I wonder who they will get for DT this year. Of course, the big talk is Springsteen. I could see them getting the Eagles for another day. The way our heroes are dropping, it gets tougher after that. I could see Stevie Nicks in some capacity. Perhaps they'll have to move up a decade or so. I'd say U2 but word is they're committed to the new venue in Vegas around November, maybe without Larry Mullen Jr. Maybe Pearl Jam? The promoters will probably want big names for this. Makes me wonder if they waved enough money at the Police if they would reform for this. Even though they're supposed to be done maybe Genesis. Should be some interesting speculation.

Re: OT (probably) Desert Trip 2023
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 5, 2023 04:07

They could bring back all the originals that played at the original Desert Trip shows - Dylan, Stones, The Who, Paul McCartney, Roger Waters, and Neil Young.
Nothing will ever match the excitement of those original shows - they were amongst the funnest/best concerts I've ever attended (both weekends), but having a Desert Trip II with the same lineup could be a close second.
Can't see myself being bothered with any of the others you mention, especially at a massive open outdoor venue in the middle of the desert, but I'm sure many others would be ready and willing.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: February 5, 2023 04:35

The Eagles were supposed to play the 2nd edition in 2017 but Azoff threw a temper tantrum backstage and took them to LiveNation for Classic West.

I think they waited too long and aren't going to have the calibre of performers.

U2 are exclusively with LiveNation so I just don't see them happening.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-05 05:14 by Dan.

Date: February 5, 2023 04:50

Fleetwood Mac would have been good in 2017 when Lyndsey was still in the band.
Seemed an odd move when they carried on without him, and now that Christine McVie has passed, a show with that classic lineup is no longer possible.
Wondering if there's been any talk of them carrying on as Fleetwood Mac without both Lyndsey and Christine? Would be sacrilege if they did imo, but it wouldn't surprise me considering the many lineups they've had.

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: February 5, 2023 06:30

crholmstrom
I wonder who they will get for DT this year. Of course, the big talk is Springsteen. I could see them getting the Eagles for another day. The way our heroes are dropping, it gets tougher after that. I could see Stevie Nicks in some capacity. Perhaps they'll have to move up a decade or so. I'd say U2 but word is they're committed to the new venue in Vegas around November, maybe without Larry Mullen Jr. Maybe Pearl Jam? The promoters will probably want big names for this. Makes me wonder if they waved enough money at the Police if they would reform for this. Even though they're supposed to be done maybe Genesis. Should be some interesting speculation.

Why would the organizers wait this long to do it again?

I’m with Hairball, the first show was an incredible experience, well organized, easily the best sound of any outdoor event I’d ever been to. I don’t see that mix of excitement being recreated.

They haven’t even released anything from the original shows. No Video, no audio (except for The Who, whose first weekend show was available briefly, on their website, before it was pulled. Even the Desert Trip merch was pulled after the second weekend. If you missed it, you missed it.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: February 5, 2023 08:34

rattler2004
crholmstrom

Why would the organizers wait this long to do it again?

I’m with Hairball, the first show was an incredible experience, well organized, easily the best sound of any outdoor event I’d ever been to. I don’t see that mix of excitement being recreated.

They haven’t even released anything from the original shows. No Video, no audio (except for The Who, whose first weekend show was available briefly, on their website, before it was pulled. Even the Desert Trip merch was pulled after the second weekend. If you missed it, you missed it.

Appears often on ebay.

plexi

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: February 5, 2023 09:21

Was there news or some sort of announcement of another Desert Trip this year? If so… I must have missed it.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: February 5, 2023 11:55

We recently had this thread about age. I've completely come to peace with how events for higher avereage age groups are organized. The seats and all that, is just how it has to be. Still they somehow manage to make you feel old about yourself even when you only just turned 30.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: February 5, 2023 12:01

The desert dust wrecked Mick's voice for the following Vegas shows , so I can't see him wanting to go back as he turns 80

sc uk

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: February 5, 2023 14:00

swimtothemoon
Was there news or some sort of announcement of another Desert Trip this year? If so… I must have missed it.

There's been a lot of talk in the Bruce circles about it. He doesn't have any dates in Southern California this leg of the tour. He would definitely make sense for it. I just started the thread for fun to see what people came up with.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: February 5, 2023 14:25

straycatuk
The desert dust wrecked Mick's voice for the following Vegas shows , so I can't see him wanting to go back as he turns 80

sc uk

This, every day of the week with bells and whistles. Mick does not thrive in hot dusty environments and this was repeated in Prague 2018 when his voice packed in towards the end of the show.

Posted by: Captain Teague ()
Date: February 5, 2023 14:47

Hairball
Fleetwood Mac would have been good in 2017 when Lyndsey was still in the band.
Seemed an odd move when they carried on without him, and now that Christine McVie has passed, a show with that classic lineup is no longer possible.
Wondering if there's been any talk of them carrying on as Fleetwood Mac without both Lyndsey and Christine? Would be sacrilege if they did imo, but it wouldn't surprise me considering the many lineups they've had.

At this stage in their career they were not Fleetwood Mac without Lyndsey. Now that Christine has left us any thought of FM continuing without Lyndsey would be an absolute joke!

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: February 5, 2023 19:58

R.E.M.
Dire Straits
Talking Heads
Madonna
U2
Springsteen

Target the latter Boomer demographic. Getting Stipe to play, Knopfler to reassemble Dire Straits, and especially getting Byrne and the rest of the Heads to kiss and make up will all be tough.
——————

Sonic Youth
Patti Smith Group
Pearl Jam
Joni Mitchell
Neil Young & Crazy Horse
Nick Cave

This would be a cool line-up. Getting Kim and Thurston to play together again would be a moment.

Posted by: jmd ()
Date: February 5, 2023 20:07

Dan
The Eagles were supposed to play the 2nd edition in 2017 but Azoff threw a temper tantrum backstage and took them to LiveNation for Classic West.

I think they waited too long and aren't going to have the calibre of performers.

U2 are exclusively with LiveNation so I just don't see them happening.

Eagles are playing Acrisure Arena, the new venue in Coachella Valley used for NHL Seattle Kraken for their farm team, on Feb 24-25.

Acrisure is co-owned by Oak View Group (co-owned by Azoff and Tim Leiweke, who is also involved with NHL Kraken). Live Nation is also involved.

Tl;dr…can’t see Eagles playing a Desert Trip 2.

ps—Yes, Azoff countered Desert Trip with “Classic East and West” headlining Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Steely Dan and others at Dodger Stadium and Citi Field.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-05 20:17 by jmd.

Posted by: BeastyBurdeny ()
Date: February 5, 2023 22:08

This would be pretty spicy, but it's not gonna happen.

David Gilmour
The Who
Neil Young & Crazy Horse
Simon & Garfunkel (not gonna happen)
Plant & Page (not gonna happen)
Rolling Stones
McCartney
Steve Winwood

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: February 5, 2023 22:34

The last time The Stones played Desert Trip, they canceled the first of two Las Vegas shows that followed Desert Trip. I heard that Mick's voice was out of sorts due to the dry heat from the Desert Trip show. Not sure if it was true but I flew back home w/o seeing the band in Vegas.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-05 22:34 by custom55.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: February 6, 2023 01:43

Me too, custom55, had to go home.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: BeastyBurdeny ()
Date: February 6, 2023 04:55

custom55
The last time The Stones played Desert Trip, they canceled the first of two Las Vegas shows that followed Desert Trip. I heard that Mick's voice was out of sorts due to the dry heat from the Desert Trip show. Not sure if it was true but I flew back home w/o seeing the band in Vegas.

He definitely mentioned it a couple of times in Vegas 2021. Said 'it feels like I'm in a desert' or something to that effect, before pounding back a bottle of glacier fresh spring water.

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: February 6, 2023 06:46

No Stones for Desert Trip

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: February 6, 2023 08:02

From a reliable source I was told it was being considered last year but with Covid risk they couldn't pull it off. The venue is approved for 5 weekends a year. Something is bound to happen. I have condo reservations made in anticipation.

Date: February 13, 2023 20:47

It looks like Springsteen is out and from what I understand he was going to anchor the whole thing. If they were to do it again it might be (and I thought about this way back in 2016) The Cure - Depeche Mode - Radiohead or something similar.

Not only are the classic rock acts that could actually fill the place dropping, you need acts with multigenerational appeal who would actually go to this, which excludes more senior citizens, as well as bands who aren't saturating the market.

Date: February 13, 2023 21:29

With all of the hulabaloo surrounding the U2 Vegas residency, wondering if they've ever been considered for the new Desert Trip 2023.
Might work well with The Cure, Depeche Mode, and Radiohead, but admittedly I would have no interest whatsoever with the exception of The Cure...maybe...in the desert...maybe not...

Date: February 13, 2023 21:34

Hairball
With all of the hulabaloo surrounding the U2 Vegas residency, wondering if they've ever been considered for the new Desert Trip 2023.
Might work well with The Cure, Depeche Mode, and Radiohead, but admittedly I would have no interest whatsoever with the exception of The Cure...maybe...in the desert...maybe not...

In spite of the obvious Joshua Tree tie in and the fact they should have been a shoo in for 2017, U2 has an exclusive long term contract with LiveNation, a direct competitor to Desert Trip promoter AXS.

It would totally work but was never going to happen.

The reason the bands I mentioned would work is they are still massive draws and putting them together would still a massive undertaking that could only be held in a place like the Polo Fields.

I don't think we will ever see a classic rock style Desert Trip again.

In 2023 The Cure are going to be doing a full length US tour in regular venues, probably the Hollywood Bowl here for multiple nights. (they tend to alternate between regular tours and festivals, 2019 was festivals).

Posted by: mmarloe ()
Date: February 14, 2023 02:14

what dates are you thinking?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1983
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home