Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: How Many Stones Songs Have Been Officially Released?
Posted by: Nankstone ()
Date: February 7, 2023 18:59

No - I see nothing in black and white (at least not musically) ... "I come in colors" grinning smiley
Everyone has his own ideas and opinions and that's a good thing.
In no way do I (and certainly not sf37 or ricky) claim to have created a mistake free, perfect complete song list (I can definitely say that for myself).
My list is subjective, nothing more, nothing less.
My "idea" was to pack all official songs (if they were on CDs or DVDs etc.) as audio files on a USB stick (nicely tagged with cover, year, album name etc.)
Ideal for listening in the car.

I only posted "my" list here to create a kind of basis for discussion, the result is open. For some things there is no solution that is right for everyone, but feel free to discuss it. winking smiley
To me, "Cosmic Christmas" is an untitled song - it's not printed on any official release (to my knowledge), is it?
That's the main reason why it's not in "my" list - in contrast to "Well Well" or "Blueberry Jam" which are printed on the DVDs with the title name.

Of course, "Under The Radar" and "Don't Wanna Go Home" can also be interpreted in such a way that they can only be played as audio (even if on DVD medium) - as written, everyone has a subjective point of view.
It's the same with "Con Le Mie Lacrime".
I've decided not to include it in my list because it's musically the same and lyrically the same (only translated).
Everyone can see it differently, no problem.

There could be another discussion about "CS Blues" (as indicated in my postings a little further back).
Is it really an official song ?
I found the following information in "Hoffmanns Recording Index 1961-2016"
What is your opinion ?

Last words - maybe my english is not perfect, i'm from germany - sorry smileys with beer

Posted by: Ricky ()
Date: February 8, 2023 00:20

Nankstone
There could be another discussion about "CS Blues" (as indicated in my postings a little further back).
What is your opinion ?

Last words - maybe my english is not perfect, i'm from germany - sorry smileys with beer

For my, there's no doubt: it's officially released.

Posted by: sf37 ()
Date: February 8, 2023 02:01

Nankstone
No - I see nothing in black and white (at least not musically) ... "I come in colors" grinning smiley
In no way do I (and certainly not sf37 or ricky) claim to have created a mistake free, perfect complete song list (I can definitely say that for myself).
My "idea" was to pack all official songs (if they were on CDs or DVDs etc.) as audio files on a USB stick (nicely tagged with cover, year, album name etc.)

I only posted "my" list here to create a kind of basis for discussion, the result is open. For some things there is no solution that is right for everyone, but feel free to discuss it. winking smiley
To me, "Cosmic Christmas" is an untitled song - it's not printed on any official release (to my knowledge), is it?
That's the main reason why it's not in "my" list - in contrast to "Well Well" or "Blueberry Jam" which are printed on the DVDs with the title name.

Of course, "Under The Radar" and "Don't Wanna Go Home" can also be interpreted in such a way that they can only be played as audio (even if on DVD medium) - as written, everyone has a subjective point of view.
I've decided not to include it in my list because it's musically the same and lyrically the same (only translated).

What is your opinion ?

Certainly nothing wrong with your English, Nankstone. It's much stronger than my German! lol...

Regarding "CS Blues", it's definitely a grey area for me. Is it an official track? To a degree, since it was released by an official (non-bootleg) label. However, it was released by accident, and then recalled, so there was never a true intension to release it. That in itself separates it from other official releases - - the question of "intension". Still, it was available, legally, for a short time, so I had it on my list for that reason, but.....really can't decide to classify it 100% one way or the other. It's somewhat stuck in the middle for me....

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: February 8, 2023 09:05

DandelionPowderman
Nankstone
Ricky
For my, all the songs that you mention are on DVDs or BluRays, not only-audio.
My list includes only songs available on records.

Ok it's your decision.
But why then "Cosmic Christmas" - on which official record is the song listed ?
And why not "There Are But Five Rolling Stones" and "To Know Him Is To Love Him" (all the Stones backing Cleo Sylvestre) - it was available on a record, same as for example on "Rocky Road To Dublin" years later ?

And (so as hockenheim95 wrote) why on your list "Don't wanna go home" and "Under The Radar", it's only on a DVD released.

Well, when buying ABB Deluxe it was included. On a dvd, yes, but it's still attached to the album (and you can play the dvd on your cd player). So perhaps it isn't that black and white? smiling smiley

How can you play a DVD on a CD player?

Date: February 8, 2023 10:34

Thats possible with an multiplayer, with a only CD Player it doesn't work.
My DENON Player plays also all formats, CD, SACD, DVD, BLURAY, DVD-AUDIO etc. but it's a "multiplayer".

@ sf37 : "grey area" is the real word for these track.
If the single unauthorised packed in the LP Box from a bootleg source, than (for me) its not official.
But surely i can understand everyone who had an other point of view.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-08 11:11 by Nankstone.

Posted by: silkcut1978_ ()
Date: February 8, 2023 19:47

sf37
Nankstone

What is your opinion ?

Certainly nothing wrong with your English, Nankstone. It's much stronger than my German! lol...

Regarding "CS Blues", it's definitely a grey area for me. Is it an official track? To a degree, since it was released by an official (non-bootleg) label. However, it was released by accident, and then recalled, so there was never a true intension to release it. That in itself separates it from other official releases - - the question of "intension". Still, it was available, legally, for a short time, so I had it on my list for that reason, but.....really can't decide to classify it 100% one way or the other. It's somewhat stuck in the middle for me....

Haven't read the whole thread so far but no, "CS Blues" was NOT released by accident because the employee at German DECCA was a big Stones fan and he tried to compile something of real interest and probably thought that DECCA England wouldn't notice or care. What they didn't notice was the inclusion of "Tell Me Baby" where the impression was created that it's another version of "Tell Me"winking smiley

Date: February 8, 2023 22:23

thank you silkcut1978 for your hints thumbs up

Ok the story about "Tell me, baby how many times" is true, i know that.
This "not noticing" of a wrong song is (for me) a further indication that not everything went correctly with this release
The "problem" with the CS Blues for me is simply that it was included in the LP box as an "unauthorized single".
To make matters worse, although the LP's have printed DECCA labels, the single only has a completely white label without any imprints...
Why is DECCA doing this if it's supposed to be an "official" release?
Here is a picture of the "CS Blues" single from the LP Box "best of the rest" Germany 6.30125 FA (a friend of mine has these box with the single)
He told me that DECCA UK the single removed a week after the release of "Best of the Rest" - true or not, i don't know.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 8, 2023 22:58

Wow, never seen that famous "CS Blues" single in my life. Yeah, a difficult case to define: technically officially released, but unauthorized and thereby illegal...

But as I looked at the THE REST OF THE BEST release, I spotted there "Da Doo Ron Ron". I have never realized that it is officially released. I didn't see it either in the listings of you guys here (as I quickly tried to check). What a hec?

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-08 23:09 by Doxa.

Date: February 8, 2023 23:12

The Rest Of The Best album talk: [iorr.org]

Date: February 8, 2023 23:19

Doxa
But as I looked at the THE REST OF THE BEST release, I spotted there "Da Doo Run Run". I have never realized that it is officially released. I didn't see it either in the listings of you guys here (as I quickly tried to check). What a hec?

- Doxa

Oh yes, in "my list" "Da Doo Run Run" is entered at number No.264 winking smiley
It's just the Andrew Oldham Orchestra with Mick on vocals but released under "The Rolling Stones" - so official (for me).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-08 23:28 by Nankstone.

Date: February 8, 2023 23:27

Nankstone
Doxa
But as I looked at the THE REST OF THE BEST release, I spotted there "Da Doo Run Run". I have never realized that it is officially released. I didn't see it either in the listings of you guys here (as I quickly tried to check). What a hec?

- Doxa

Oh yes, in "my list" "De Doo Ron Ron" is entered at number No.264 winking smiley
It's just the Andrew Oldham Orchestra with Mick on vocals but released under "The Rolling Stones" - so official (for me).

...and 076 on mine.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 8, 2023 23:50

Ok! Sorry guys, I was sloppy...

- Doxa

Date: February 9, 2023 02:29

DandelionPowderman
The Rest Of The Best album talk: [iorr.org]

Thanks DP - - a very interesting and informative read.

Date: February 9, 2023 02:35

Doxa
Ok! Sorry guys, I was sloppy...

- Doxa

"Da Do Ron Ron" is not on my list because, as with half of the Metamorphosis album, I personally don't regard it as being a true 'Stones' performance, though these tracks are released on album under the Stones name. Again, it's a subjective call on my part and I can understand and respect the differing viewpoints.

Posted by: HenrikBB ()
Date: February 10, 2023 15:58

Actually “Under The Radar” did have an official audio-only release, - on a 7-track Virgin Records promo-CDr called ““Rain Fall Down” (All Tracks)” 2005.

The same with “Bob Wills Is Still The King”, “Learning The Game”, “Night Time (is the right time)” & “Mr. Pitfull”, which all are on a Universal Music promo-CDr from 2007.
It’s titled “The Rolling Stones - Sampler”, and has a 5. track, - “I Can’t Be Satisfied” (rehearsel)

Both promos are hard-to-find, but they do have listings on Discogs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-10 16:10 by HenrikBB.

Date: February 10, 2023 18:47

Very interesting, I was unaware of these special promo releases. Thanks for the additional knowledge, HenrikBB!

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: February 10, 2023 21:23

HenrikBB
Actually “Under The Radar” did have an official audio-only release, - on a 7-track Virgin Records promo-CDr called ““Rain Fall Down” (All Tracks)” 2005.

The same with “Bob Wills Is Still The King”, “Learning The Game”, “Night Time (is the right time)” & “Mr. Pitfull”, which all are on a Universal Music promo-CDr from 2007.
It’s titled “The Rolling Stones - Sampler”, and has a 5. track, - “I Can’t Be Satisfied” (rehearsel)

Both promos are hard-to-find, but they do have listings on Discogs.

OK I must seek out these releases so that I can add these songs to my iPod!!!

Date: February 11, 2023 02:05

Thanks HenrikBB, these promo CD-Rs are not relevant for "my" song list, because I also count the DVD songs.
But thanks for the info, I didn't know about these promos!

Date: February 13, 2023 00:58

Another list:
[en.wikipedia.org]

and a nice one:
[aeppli.ch]

Date: February 13, 2023 04:09

Ricky
Another list:
[en.wikipedia.org]

and a nice one:
[aeppli.ch]

Thanks Ricky, I'll check them out!

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1565
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home