Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: How Many Stones Songs Have Been Officially Released?
Posted by: Nankstone ()
Date: February 5, 2023 15:42

thanks for finding sf37 smiling smiley

Oh right, "Chantilly Lace" is included as a bonus on the "Tattoo You" Super Deluxe Edition - I missed it because I only have the 2CD version (without Wembley 82).
I will add the song to my list.

Well, with "Cs Blues" it is very questionable for me to include him in my list.
The question here is not if all Stones members are there, or if it was released under "The Rolling Stones" - that's true so far.
My "problem" is: was the song really officially released?
As far as I know, the "CS Blues" single was included in the official "Best of the Rest" for just a few copies and after DECCA noticed that, the single was no longer available for all other releases. It is even said that they have been removed the single from some LP boxes.
Can this then be called an "official" release?

Maybe someone can tell me something new about this "CS Blues" single release.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 5, 2023 16:00

Well Well and Extreme Western Grip indeed have a copyright on the release of FOUR FLICKS but that's not exactly an official release in regard to their discography as or within an LP, EP or single.

Date: February 5, 2023 16:38

GasLightStreet
Well Well and Extreme Western Grip indeed have a copyright on the release of FOUR FLICKS but that's not exactly an official release in regard to their discography as or within an LP, EP or single.

True, that's why I called it "my" list.
Don't know exactly what sf37's approach was, but I wanted to count all the songs that were officially released, be it LP, single, CD, DVD, VHS or downloads etc.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 5, 2023 16:50

Nankstone
GasLightStreet

True, that's why I called it "my" list.
Don't know exactly what sf37's approach was, but I wanted to count all the songs that were officially released, be it LP, single, CD, DVD, VHS or downloads etc.

LOL so many formats! Obviously "discography" refers to audio only releases so if one wanted to go strictly by that, those FOUR FLICKS songs wouldn't be counted nor would all other video releases.

Posted by: sf37 ()
Date: February 5, 2023 16:53

I took a similar approach to Nankstone in my counting of what is official, if it was included as a DVD or VHS. There are others that fell under this category that I included, such as "I'm Yours, She's Mine", "Let's Get Together", and "Bluesberry Jam", none of which have been released officially on vinyl. Same with some of the live tracks, only available on the videos or bluerays. GasLightStreet makes a valid point in that if we go strictly by audio, several tracks in my list shouldn't count. But again, it's a subjective decision to include them on my part, without my claiming to be either right or wrong. In my view, a song released on DVD or VHS should be as valid or official as a vinyl track, so long as it's not a bootleg release.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-05 16:58 by sf37.

Date: February 5, 2023 17:11

sf37
In my view, a song released on DVD or VHS should be as valid or official as a vinyl track, so long as it's not a bootleg release.

that is exactly my opinion too winking smiley
(I would also include official download releases, but as far as I know there is no download release that hasn't been released on LP, CD, Single etc.)

Date: February 5, 2023 17:19

Nankstone
sf37
In my view, a song released on DVD or VHS should be as valid or official as a vinyl track, so long as it's not a bootleg release.

(I would also include official download releases, but as far as I know there is no download release that hasn't been released on LP, CD, Single etc.)

I think you are correct in this.

Your viewpoint regarding "CS Blues" makes for an intriguing debate, on whether a song being released temporarily or by mistake should count. I guess "Poison Ivy" and "Fortune Teller" would be in a similar boat of discussion if they weren't later included on a compilation album.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-05 17:36 by sf37.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: February 5, 2023 17:28

So, just over 7 tracks per year. Or, a single and an EP per year approx.

Rod

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-05 17:28 by bitusa2012.

Date: February 5, 2023 17:38

bitusa2012

Heavily skewed towards the early half of their career, but very true!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 5, 2023 17:38

bitusa2012

But if we look at Nankstone's great listings, in 1964 they released 36 new songs (not even including later archive releases). It's been downhill ever since as far as being profilic goes ..

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-05 23:26 by Doxa.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: February 5, 2023 18:00

Nankstone
sf37

Light My Fuse was a download only release. I’m still waiting for an official physical release of that one in some format.

Date: February 5, 2023 18:05

I also find this topic fascinating in that live versions of their own songs are excluded. All of them are different from each other and have their own unique sound but I guess live songs would be a whole other animal here.

Date: February 5, 2023 18:09

VoodooLounge13
Nankstone
sf37

Light My Fuse was a download only release. I’m still waiting for an official physical release of that one in some format.

True, but there isn't a song on "Light The Fuse" that hasn't also appeared on other physical releases - as song - i'm waiting also to a official release of these live tracks.
(I may have expressed myself wrong - it should read : "... but as far as I know there is no SONG-download-release that hasn't been later released on LP, CD, Single etc.") winking smiley

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-05 19:46 by Nankstone.

Posted by: matatu ()
Date: February 5, 2023 20:36

What about "Con le mie
lacrime"?

Date: February 5, 2023 21:25

matatu
What about "Con le mie lacrime"?

Not in my list - for me the same song as "As Tears Go By", same melody and pretty much the same (just translated) lyrics, as an Italian friend told me.

Date: February 5, 2023 23:53

Nankstone
matatu

Not in my list - for me the same song as "As Tears Go By", same melody and pretty much the same (just translated) lyrics, as an Italian friend told me.

Not on my list either, for the same reasoning.

Posted by: Ricky ()
Date: February 6, 2023 00:46

NICOS
I see Claudine twice on the list ?

smiling smiley but not counted two times. Sorry for the mistake

Date: February 6, 2023 00:48

Nankstone
Thanks for your list Ricky, but some songs are not clear for me.

"We Want The Stones" is not on "my" list (for me an impertinence to call this a separate song by Jagger/Richards) but it's your dicision
But then why not on your list "I'm Yours And I'm Hers" (Live 1969) [Sweet Summer Sun (Bonus)] ?
Or "Get Together" (Live with other Artists) (1964) [DVD T.A.M.I. Show] ?

Also not on your list ... why not ?
- Extreme Western Grip
- Well Well
- Love Train
(all on "Four Flicks")

- Bob Wills Is Still The King
- Learning The Game
- Night Time Is The Right Time
(all on "Biggest Bang")

"Cosmic Christmas" is (for me) not notice on an official release - so it's not on my list.

@sf37 :
"Da doo ron ron" is ALOO with Mick Jagger on lead vocals and released on "Best of the Rest" with "The Rolling Stones" name on the cover - thats my decision to count this song.

For my, all the songs that you mention are on DVDs or BluRays, not only-audio.
My list includes only songs available on records...

Date: February 6, 2023 00:51

GasLightStreet

Exactly !!!!. That's the reason why this songs are not on my list.

Date: February 6, 2023 00:53

sf37
Nankstone
matatu

Same here

Date: February 6, 2023 00:53

sf37
NICOS

It appears twice on Ricky's list but both are numbered #55, so the typo doesn't alter the overall count.

Thanks and... corrected !!!

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 6, 2023 01:46

Ricky
sf37
NICOS

It appears twice on Ricky's list but both are numbered #55, so the typo doesn't alter the overall count.

Thanks and... corrected !!!

thumbs up

Date: February 6, 2023 01:51

Ricky
Nankstone

"We Want The Stones" is not on "my" list (for me an impertinence to call this a separate song by Jagger/Richards) but it's your dicision
But then why not on your list "I'm Yours And I'm Hers" (Live 1969) [Sweet Summer Sun (Bonus)] ?

- Extreme Western Grip
- Well Well
- Love Train
(all on "Four Flicks")

- Learning The Game
(all on "Biggest Bang")

"Cosmic Christmas" is (for me) not notice on an official release - so it's not on my list.

@sf37 :
"Da doo ron ron" is ALOO with Mick Jagger on lead vocals and released on "Best of the Rest" with "The Rolling Stones" name on the cover - thats my decision to count this song.

My list includes only songs available on records.

Which is great, because it reveals a different viewpoint to consider what is official, and is useful to compare what has been released on audio only versus other formats. Thanks again for sharing.

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: February 6, 2023 02:21

sf37
Ricky
Nankstone

- Extreme Western Grip
- Well Well
- Love Train
(all on "Four Flicks")

- Learning The Game
(all on "Biggest Bang")

@sf37 :

Which is great, because it reveals a different viewpoint to consider what is official, and is useful to compare what has been released on audio only versus other formats. Thanks again for sharing.

Under the Radar and We don't wanna go home don't have audio only releases if you're that strict. They're part of Videos on the Bonus DVD of A Bigger Bang.

Date: February 6, 2023 06:54

Ricky

Ok it's your decision.
But why then "Cosmic Christmas" - on which official record is the song listed ?
And why not "There Are But Five Rolling Stones" and "To Know Him Is To Love Him" (all the Stones backing Cleo Sylvestre) - it was available on a record, same as for example on "Rocky Road To Dublin" years later ?

And (so as hockenheim95 wrote) why on your list "Don't wanna go home" and "Under The Radar", it's only on a DVD released.

Date: February 7, 2023 00:17

Nankstone
Ricky

Ok it's your decision.
And why not "There Are But Five Rolling Stones" and "To Know Him Is To Love Him" (all the Stones backing Cleo Sylvestre) - it was available on a record, same as for example on "Rocky Road To Dublin" years later ?

And (so as hockenheim95 wrote) why on your list "Don't wanna go home" and "Under The Radar", it's only on a DVD released.

Well... "Cosmic Christmas"... I have always thought that it is the fragment at the end of side A, after "Sing This All Together" ... around 37 seconds.

About "There Are But Five..." and "To Know Him...", you are probably correct. The only reason against it is that it was not published as "The Rolling Stones", but the same happens with "Following The River", "Rocky Road To Dublin" on "Paying The Cost To Be The Boss", so I will definitely add them to my list.

Finally, "Under The Radar" and "Don't Wanna Go Home". They are released on a DVD but the only way to enjoy them is to listen to them. There are no associated images.

Date: February 7, 2023 09:39

Ricky
Nankstone
Ricky

Ok it's your decision.

Well... "Cosmic Christmas"... I have always thought that it is the fragment at the end of side A, after "Sing This All Together" ... around 37 seconds.

About "There Are But Five..." and "To Know Him...", you are probably correct. The only reason against it is that it was not published as "The Rolling Stones", but the same happens with "Following The River", "Rocky Road To Dublin" on "Paying The Cost To Be The Boss", so I will definitely add them to my list.

Finally, "Under The Radar" and "Don't Wanna Go Home". They are released on a DVD but the only way to enjoy them is to listen to them. There are no associated images.

Upon further reflection I can certainly understand one making a case for "Cosmic Christmas" being a separate, hidden track as opposed to simply being an extension of ".....(See What Happens)". I wonder how many other Stones fans may view it as such. It wouldn't be the first such case of a hidden track.

Date: February 7, 2023 11:00

Nankstone
Ricky

Ok it's your decision.

Well, when buying ABB Deluxe it was included. On a dvd, yes, but it's still attached to the album (and you can play the dvd on your cd player). So perhaps it isn't that black and white? smiling smiley

Date: February 7, 2023 16:52

sf37
Nankstone
matatu

Now see, if I were to make a list I'd include Con le mie lacrime - same music, but Italian lyrics, and I think it adds something to it. Though, I've actually never heard the studio version. Just the live version from a few years back!

Date: February 7, 2023 16:55

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1231
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home