Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT: 2023 Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame
Posted by: Congratulations ()
Date: February 3, 2023 01:15

timmyj3
I complain every year but my pet peeve is the complete abandonment of the hugely successful mid 60's groups like Hermans Hermits, Paul Revere & the Raiders, Monkees, Gerry and the Pacemakers. Ugh. These groups brought rock and roll to television and that seems to be completely ignored. Just wrong in my opinion.

Exactly. The Hollies only got into the R&RHoF because Graham Nash was once in the band, and it took many years of campaigning (and the death of 2 members) before The Dave Clark Five got in.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 3, 2023 20:08

timmyj3
I complain every year but my pet peeve is the complete abandonment of the hugely successful mid 60's groups like Hermans Hermits, Paul Revere & the Raiders, Monkees, Gerry and the Pacemakers. Ugh. These groups brought rock and roll to television and that seems to be completely ignored. Just wrong in my opinion.

I think initially they weren't 'rock n roll' enough initially and now as they're letting everyone that's ever picked up a musical instrument in any musical category in, they don't have enough outside support pushing for them to be in.

The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame has completely ruined its brand...not remotely interesting.

OT: 2023 Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: February 3, 2023 21:08

‘The soul of L.A.’: 20 years after his death, the stars are aligning for Warren Zevon

The late singer-songwriter Warren Zevon, whom Billy Joel, among others, successfully promoted for induction into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. (Michael Ochs Archives / Getty Images)

By Mikael Wood
Published Jan. 31, 2023

[www.latimes.com]

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: February 3, 2023 23:02

Rock and Roll is defined very loosely here, just to distinguish it from the Country Music HOF, etc.

Posted by: RSbestbandever ()
Date: February 3, 2023 23:09

The Sicilian
DaveG
I know that when I think "rock and roll" the first names that come to mind are Willie Nelson and Missy Elliott. (Nothing against the great Willie, but . . .)

Bands not in the RNRHOF:

Jethro Tull
The Guess Who
BTO
J. Geils Band
Joe Cocker
Bad Company
Grand Funk Railroad
Boston
Thin Lizzy
Steppenwolf
Foreigner
Blue Oyster Cult
Blood Sweat & Tears
Emerson Lake & Palmer
Three Dog Night
Humble Pie
Foghat
King Crimson
Uriah Heep[/quote

Solid list indeed. There is absolutely no reason the majority of this list haven't been selected. Jethro Tull & Steppenwolf without a doubt should already have been in the RR Hall of Fame.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-03 23:11 by RSbestbandever.

Posted by: timmyj3 ()
Date: February 3, 2023 23:37

I am kind of a purist when the genres were pretty clearly defined. I just find it insulting when a thing called Miss Elliott is even considered and Paul Revere & the Raiders is ignored and abandoned.

Do these nominating folks have any actual interest in rock and roll? If not I wish they would at least change the name to "Post mid century music exhibit".

I can at least be proud to never have spent a nickel on anything related to the RNR HOF. Turned turn many offers to go there when in Cleveland on business. Even talked several out of going. My very little protest.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: February 4, 2023 07:40

bye bye johnny
Nominees:

- Kate Bush
- Sheryl Crow
- Missy Elliott
- Iron Maiden
- Joy Division/New Order
- Cyndi Lauper
- George Michael
- Willie Nelson
- Rage Against the Machine
- Soundgarden
- The Spinners
- A Tribe Called Quest
- The White Stripes
- Warren Zevon

--

Fan vote > [vote.rockhall.com]

there just missing pat boone and burl ivesgrinning smiley

Posted by: timmyj3 ()
Date: February 4, 2023 19:08

ProfessorWolf
bye bye johnny
Nominees:

- Kate Bush
- Sheryl Crow
- Missy Elliott
- Iron Maiden
- Joy Division/New Order
- Cyndi Lauper
- George Michael
- Willie Nelson
- Rage Against the Machine
- Soundgarden
- The Spinners
- A Tribe Called Quest
- The White Stripes
- Warren Zevon

--

Fan vote > [vote.rockhall.com]

there just missing pat boone and burl ivesgrinning smiley

Don't give them any ideas, Pat Boone isn't that out the realm.

Date: February 4, 2023 20:05

At least Pat Boone helped make black Rhythm 'n' Blues acceptable to white folk... and isn't that what Elvis Presley, Jerry Lee Lewis, The Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin later did, albeit with a bit more panache?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 4, 2023 20:09

Congratulations
At least Pat Boone helped make black Rhythm 'n' Blues acceptable to white folk... and isn't that what Elvis Presley, Jerry Lee Lewis, The Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin later did, albeit with a bit more panache?

Pat Boone made it more acceptable to old white folk...the old white parents of young rebellious white kids who were in to Elvis Presley, Jerry Lee Lewis, et al....

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: February 7, 2023 23:54

Fan Vote Top Five, 2/7

[vote.rockhall.com]

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: February 8, 2023 00:34

I really hope Warren Zevon gets chosen.

Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: February 8, 2023 00:45

Malcolm X was more rock & roll than most of those inducted, I hope he gets in next year.

Date: February 8, 2023 01:13

I never thought I'd see the day when the singer from 'Wham!' gets in the R&RHoF. Whoever next, the Nolan Sisters?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 8, 2023 01:24

Still no Harmonica Frank .......

Rock To Memphis, dance on Main
Up stepped a lady and asked my name
I told her my name was on the tail of my shirt
Rockin' chair daddy don't have to work ......

............... Rockin' Chair Daddy - Harmonica Frank

ROCKMAN

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: February 8, 2023 01:48

Congratulations
I never thought I'd see the day when the singer from 'Wham!' gets in the R&RHoF. Whoever next, the Nolan Sisters?

I don't know who the Nolan Sister are/were. Probably a good thing.tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: February 8, 2023 03:32

Not a fan of either, but at least the RNRHOF has an active thread, unlike the Grammys (which was 2 days ago).

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: February 8, 2023 05:59

crholmstrom
Congratulations

I don't know who the Nolan Sister are/were. Probably a good thing.tongue sticking out smiley

So Daaaaaaannnncccceeeee, come on let’s daaaaanceeee ooh ooh ooh ooh

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: February 9, 2023 13:02

Congratulations

Don’t be ridiculous. George Michael was a huge talent and a wonderful entertainer. The Nolan Sisters! Pah! eye rolling smiley

Date: February 9, 2023 14:13

Big Al
Congratulations

Don’t be ridiculous. George Michael was a huge talent and a wonderful entertainer. The Nolan Sisters! Pah! eye rolling smiley

He was also the complete antithesis to Rock 'n' Roll.

Anyway, I know which one I prefer...

Date: February 9, 2023 15:57

Congratulations
Big Al
Congratulations

He was also the complete antithesis to Rock 'n' Roll.

Anyway, I know which one I prefer...

Well, George’s music has stood the test of time and is celebrated globally. The Nolan’s is from a time best forgotten. Even my mother would cringe at their music.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 9, 2023 18:33

He at least had a hit single built around the Bo Diddley beat. That's something, I suppose.

Date: February 9, 2023 19:44

Rocky Dijon
He at least had a hit single built around the Bo Diddley beat. That's something, I suppose.

Next year's inductees?

Date: February 10, 2023 08:22

Congratulations, I really liked Rihanna back in the day, too. I could certainly name more if her hits than those of Bill Haley and The Comets!

Date: February 10, 2023 09:11

Big Al
Congratulations, I really liked Rihanna back in the day, too. I could certainly name more if her hits than those of Bill Haley and The Comets!

Haha, I couldn't name 1 song by her, ditto Taylor Swift! However, I own a couple of box-sets of Bill Haley, and he was proudly the first artist I ever saw live as a 16 year old back in '79. I guess I'll always be first and foremost a Rock 'n' Roll fan... which is why I find the R&RHoF an oxymoron. Chuck, Richard, Fats, Jerry Lee, Elvis, Gene, Eddie, Bill, Bo... along with early Stones, Pretty Things, Animals etc, no other music has quite moved me in the same way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-10 09:31 by Congratulations.

Date: February 10, 2023 11:59

Congratulations
Big Al

Haha, I couldn't name 1 song by her, ditto Taylor Swift! However, I own a couple of box-sets of Bill Haley, and he was proudly the first artist I ever saw live as a 16 year old back in '79. I guess I'll always be first and foremost a Rock 'n' Roll fan... which is why I find the R&RHoF an oxymoron. Chuck, Richard, Fats, Jerry Lee, Elvis, Gene, Eddie, Bill, Bo... along with early Stones, Pretty Things, Animals etc, no other music has quite moved me in the same way.

Well, I couldn't name a recording by Taylor Swift, either. I stopped following contemporary pop-music about a decade ago.

In regards to rock 'n roll: I'm a big fan of Elvis, Chuck Berry and Buddy Holly. As for their contemporaries? I find compilations suffice. My late father was born in 1948, so I was raised on the music of the 60's. Elvis and The Shadows were his very-earliest favourites.

Date: February 10, 2023 12:03

I do also think that Rock Around The Clock is amongst the handful of recordings that genuinely shaped and pioneered rock 'n roll, alongside Heartbreak Hotel, Maybellene and Peggy Sue.

Date: February 10, 2023 13:12

Big Al
I do also think that Rock Around The Clock is amongst the handful of recordings that genuinely shaped and pioneered rock 'n roll, alongside Heartbreak Hotel, Maybellene and Peggy Sue.

I can't argue with those, and would also add Whole Lotta Shakin' Going On, Bo Diddley (the song), Bye Bye Love and Summertime Blues. thumbs up

Date: February 10, 2023 19:24

Congratulations
Big Al

I can't argue with those, and would also add Whole Lotta Shakin' Going On, Bo Diddley (the song), Bye Bye Love and Summertime Blues. thumbs up

Well, you and I could go on all day, couldn’t we? Ricky Nelson’s ‘Believe What You Say’ is an all-time favourite of mine, too. Actually, Ricky Nelson is a big favourite all round!

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: February 10, 2023 19:30

Congratulations

He also sang for Queen. He was talented enough to take Freddie’s place.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1646
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home