Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT Al Stewart boxed 50cd set
Posted by: timmyj3 ()
Date: January 29, 2023 16:52

I received the boxed set by Al Stewart "Admiralty Lights" for Christmas. It has 50 cd's including 17 live shows, multiple cds of unreleased song and such, and of course beautifully remastered legit releases and a large coffee table book. Great stuff.

My post is more about what a great idea this type of set would be for many acts. Imagine a Kinks 50-75 cd set like this? Or any group. The Stones might be to big for this treatment but I could see a 100 cd set.

The Al Stewart set is a full legacy set. In 2060, some kid wants to know what Al Stewart was like as an artist and performer, just access this set. You would get a very clear picture of the evolution of an artist.

FYI. The cost is $350 for the Al Stewart set and I believe it is limited to 1000 or 2000 copies. I like the concept as our rock heroes are ageing and will be gone soon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-01-29 16:59 by timmyj3.

Re: OT Al Stewart boxed 50cd set
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 29, 2023 22:54

I love Al Stewart ---- well three of his songs anyways. Year of the Cat...On the Border...Time Passages - all excellent.
I suppose I should dig a bit deeper some day, but this set might be a bit too deep! A single greatest hits cd of his might be the ticket for me to start with.
Gerry Rafferty is similar in that I should dig deeper in to some day as I only know three tunes of his also - Baker Street, Right Down the Line, and Get It Right Next Time - all great.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: January 29, 2023 23:01

Hairball
I love Al Stewart ---- well three of his songs anyways. Year of the Cat...On the Border...Time Passages - all excellent.
I suppose I should dig a bit deeper some day, but this set might be a bit too deep! A single greatest hits cd of his might be the ticket for me to start with.
Gerry Rafferty is similar in that I should dig deeper in to some day as I only know three tunes of his also - Baker Street, Right Down the Line, and Get It Right Next Time - all great.

Gerry Rafferty also sang with Steelers Wheel. Lead vocal on Stuck In The Middle With You.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 29, 2023 23:05

Yeah that' a good one also...one hit wonders, and the only tune I know from them.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: January 29, 2023 23:24

Hairball
Yeah that' a good one also...one hit wonders, and the only tune I know from them.

Same here

Posted by: northof49 ()
Date: January 29, 2023 23:41

Great use of stuck in the middle here...Warning, kinda gory. Wouldn't want to be stuck anywhere with this guy.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: January 29, 2023 23:43

50 CDs? Ain't nobody got time for that. smoking smiley

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: January 30, 2023 00:02

A couple of years ago there was a 60 cd set of Johnny Cash. Similar pricing it had

Posted by: timmyj3 ()
Date: January 30, 2023 00:28

Any history buffs should really take a look and listen to Al Stewart.

His most "famous" not famous song is called "Roads to Moscow" A 9 minute gem about German WWII German soldiers caught behind Russian lines after the war.

Posted by: illyad1960 ()
Date: January 30, 2023 01:13

Actually, I think the song is from the point of view of a Russian soldier who is sent to a gulag because he was on the German side of border during g some of the conflict. Stalin sent many if not most former POWs to gulag concerned that these prisoners won bring back anti revolutionary ideas with them.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: January 30, 2023 01:34

More Hot Rocks
Hairball

Same here

Steelers Wheel’s “Star” became quite a hit in Japan. “Stuck In The Middle With You” not so much over there.

IMHO “Star” is a much better song than “Stuck”.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 30, 2023 02:27

When I heard "Stuck In The Middle Of You" the song reminds me of mix of Stones en Beatles......... great tune though.

AS for Al Stewart Year of the Cat is a great record played it a lot back then........but 50 cd's is a bit to much for me

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: January 30, 2023 07:47

Hairball

Al Stewart has some good songs. However, my favorite Al Stewart CD is “Past, Present and Future”.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 30, 2023 18:35

My personal favorite : Song On The Radio

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 31, 2023 04:28

What a nightmare. 50 CDs from an artist I loathed in 1976. The Year of the Cat vocals so cloying. And it was a huge hit in the states. It was on FM radio all the time.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 31, 2023 05:01

24FPS
What a nightmare. 50 CDs from an artist I loathed in 1976. The Year of the Cat vocals so cloying. And it was a huge hit in the states. It was on FM radio all the time.

Ya not one of my favorites. The set is nice for fans though.

Posted by: rolling1us ()
Date: February 1, 2023 13:56

Hairball

Try 'Star' and 'late again', 2 other great tracks of Stealer' Wheel.

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: February 1, 2023 17:53

Whale
A couple of years ago there was a 60 cd set of Johnny Cash. Similar pricing it had

I have this box. I think it's 63 CDs. I also have the Bob Dylan box. I think 47 CDs.
They are from Columbia records, if I recall correctly.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2174
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home