Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Stones tours and TV shows: pianos and keyboards
Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: January 24, 2023 23:07

Please be merciful... This keyboard post is to be much, much improved, especially regarding the choice of sounds and instruments...

I may be wrong, but it seems they use only a regular, non-electric piano on stage until January 1973 (LA Forum) since their keyboardists were Nicky Hopkins and Ian Stewart.
Nicky used a toad piano. Ian Stewart used a grand piano.
Quite difficult to find pictures on stage with Nicky and Ian in those years…. Please fill the gap…

Billy Preston had both a grand piano and a synthetiser in 1973 as well as in 1975 and 1976. However, there are 6 sizes of grand piano, and it may be interesting to know which size Billy and Ian Stewart used, since it’s also a question of logistics for touring

At that time, Ian had a grand piano aside Billy

Mick also used a keyboard on Fool to Cry, Far Away Eyes and later on Worried About You. Please tell us more…

in 1976, Bill used a keyboard on Fingerprint File, while Ronnie played the bass guitar. Please find a pic

In 1981-82
Ian Stewart used a grand piano, Ian Mc Lagan some other keyboards, not sure if you call it a piano

From 1989 and later on: two ranges of keyboards, with Chuck leavell and Matt Clifford, not sure if any of those instruments may be call a piano

Special player: Brian Jones playing piano on Let’s Spend the Night Together 1967
[youtu.be]

Special guest: Stephen Stills in Amsterdam 1970

Special guest: Elton John in Fort Collins 1975 (no picture on stage)

Some interesting interview with Ian McLagan:
[www.rollingstone.com]

Ian with the Faces

Ian with the New Barbarians, Keith also on keyboard

Re: Stones tours and TV shows: pianos and keyboards
Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: January 25, 2023 20:10

OMG....

685 posts on the OT World Cup thread, versus zero for this one...

Really? No one would comment about the evolution, style and choice about the Stones keyboards on stage in some 60 years sad smiley

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: January 25, 2023 22:13

Amsterdam Paradiso 95 there is the grand piano.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: January 25, 2023 22:56

The Joker
OMG....

685 posts on the OT World Cup thread, versus zero for this one...

Really? No one would comment about the evolution, style and choice about the Stones keyboards on stage in some 60 years sad smiley

boy do you have a point there

wish i knew enough about this topic to actually give you any useful information

but i look forward to more informed individuals sharing there knowledge and expanding my own

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: January 25, 2023 23:22

Looking at the image above, of the back of the Philadelphia 81 show CD, it occurs to me that by the time the 81-82 tour is over, Ronnie was already the longest reigning guitar player in the band at that point. At that point, they're only 20 years into their illustrious career. It's so hard to fathom sometimes.

Date: January 26, 2023 00:13

Second longest winking smiley

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: January 26, 2023 14:51

VoodooLounge13
Looking at the image above, of the back of the Philadelphia 81 show CD, it occurs to me that by the time the 81-82 tour is over, Ronnie was already the longest reigning guitar player in the band at that point. At that point, they're only 20 years into their illustrious career. It's so hard to fathom sometimes.

And people said: Go, see the Stones. It might be their last tour. And now it is 42 years later.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1764
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home