Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Bernard Fowler Austrian 1995 "arrest"
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 26, 2023 08:02

retired_dog
Irix
child-of-the-moon

Neue Zeit, Graz, 03. August 1995

Translation via Online-OCR + DeepL:

"Show almost cancelled

The Open-air on the Ö-Ring narrowly missed being cancelled. The reason was the behaviour of a man from the gendarmerie's mobile task force.

The catastrophe did not take place by a hair's breadth. An officer of the mobile task force of the Styrian gendarmerie almost caused the Stones to cancel their show at the Ö-Ring, and it happened that way: In principle, the officers of the mobile task force were not supposed to enter the backstage area, i.e. the private lounge of the Rolling Stones. This is even stated in the regulations for the Stones' show at the Österreich-Ring, because already at Bon Jovi four officers of this group did not want to leave the private area and caused a twenty-minute delay of the show. This time it was worse. A member of the brass ensemble, a black musician, did a few rounds on his moped in the backstage area. The police officer obviously didn't like that at all. He stopped the musician and wanted to remove him from the dressing room area. Assurances that he was a musician and had a backstage pass were of no use. "You stole a pass," said the officer, who also made it clear that he obviously had difficulties in dealing with people of a different skin colour. When Keith Richards joined in and heard the story, he winced. "Racists!" he yelled, raging and retreating. He didn't want to go on stage. For an hour, promoters and bandmates talked down to the guitarist, and one apology followed another. Finally, Richards did go on stage and the show started an hour late. The biggest security risk - just imagine what happens when 90,000 don't get what they expect - was thus a single gendarmerie officer. Will that be enough for promotion? V.R.

Keith Richards freaked out completely. (Lohr)"

The Austrian OCR-Text:

"Show fast geplatzt

Das Open-air am Ö-Ring ging knapp an einer Absage vorbei. Auslösender Grund war das Verhalten eines Mannes der mobilen Einsatztruppe der Gendarmerie.

Die Katastrophe fand nur um Haaresbreite nicht statt. Ein Beamter des mobilen Einsatzkommandos der steirischen Gendarmerie hätte fast die Stones zur Absage ihrer Show am Ö-Ring veranlaßt, und das kam so: Im Prinzip sollten die Beamten der mobilen Einsatzgruppe den Backstagebereich, also den privaten Aufenthaltsraum der Rolling Stones, nicht betreten. Das steht sogar in der Verordnung für die Stones-Show am Österreich-Ring, da schon bei Bon Jovi vier Beamte dieser Gruppe den Privatbereich nicht verlassen wollten und eine zwanzigminütige Verzögerung der Show bewirkten. Diesmal war's ärger. Ein Mitglied des Bläserensembles. ein schwarzer Musiker, drehte im Backstagebereich ein paar Runden mit dem Mofa. Das gefiel dem Einsatzbeamten offenbar ganz und gar nicht. Er stoppte den Musiker und wollte ihn aus dem Garderobenbereich entfernen. Beteuerungen, daß er Musiker sei und einen Backstage-Paß habe, nützten nicht. „Du Paß gestohlen", sagte der Beamte und gab auch sonst zu erkennen, daß er offenbar Schwierigkeiten im Umgang mit Leuten anderer Hautfarbe hat. Als Keith Richards dazukam und die Geschichte erfuhr, zuckte er aus. „Rassisten!" brüllte er, tobte und zog sich zurück. Er wollte nicht auf die Bühne gehen. Eine Stunde lang redeten Veranstalter und Bandkollegen auf den Gitarristen ein, und eine Entschuldigung folgte der anderen. Schließlich ging Richards doch auf die Bühne und die Show begann mit einstündiger Verspätung. Das größte Sicherheitsrisiko - man braucht sich nur vorstellen, was passiert, wenn 90.000 nicht das bekommen, was sie erwarten - war somit ein einziger Gendarmeriebeamter. Ob das für eine Beförderung ausreicht? V.R.

Keith Richards zuckte völlig aus. (Lohr)"

Aaah, this version of the story sounds a bit more plausible.

However, I can't praise Keith here for his behaviour:

Some decades ago, I discussed a problem with my now deceased friend Jim Callaghan, then head of the Stones security as some here might remember. He replied with a grin: "Look, that's not a problem! Do you want to know what a problem is?" He pointed to the packed stadium and said: "Look at this crowd and imagine what could happen when for one reason or another the show would have to be cancelled! Can you imagine the riot it could cause? Nothing, absolutely nothing could stop these masses of people. All we could do is reach our cars and leave as quick as possible!"

Keith should have known this, too. You simply don't risk a desaster like that with possibly many people hurt or even worse.

"Either these cats cool it, man, or we don't play"...

Keith seems to have this weapon in his arsenal, and he is not afraid in using it. Once he threatened to cancel a whole tour (LICKS TOUR), since he was so mad about Mick's knighthood. I wonder if he really has ever been that serious, or just playing with the strong card he knows he has. As far as I know the threat has never been materialized (although he has sapotaged some Stones meetings and sessions by not turning up).

But I guess it had been quite a situation - keeping Callaghan's remark in mind - if there'd been announced: "We are sorry to say, but the show's been cancelled due to a policeman insulting our back-up singer with a racist manner, and Keith Richards has declined to play. Have a safe journay back home." How would have that 90 000 crowd reacted to that...

But I still respect his reaction. That crap needed to be called out. But probably it was a bit over-done (I guess the bandmates, especially one in particular, were not that pleased). But then again, he probably he knew what he was doing and knew that he would get his will through: that the racist idiot didn't have any other option than to apologize to Bernard.

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2023-01-26 08:14 by Doxa.

Date: January 26, 2023 10:40

retired_dog
Irix
child-of-the-moon

"Show almost cancelled

The Open-air on the Ö-Ring narrowly missed being cancelled. The reason was the behaviour of a man from the gendarmerie's mobile task force.

The catastrophe did not take place by a hair's breadth. An officer of the mobile task force of the Styrian gendarmerie almost caused the Stones to cancel their show at the Ö-Ring, and it happened that way: In principle, the officers of the mobile task force were not supposed to enter the backstage area, i.e. the private lounge of the Rolling Stones. This is even stated in the regulations for the Stones' show at the Österreich-Ring, because already at Bon Jovi four officers of this group did not want to leave the private area and caused a twenty-minute delay of the show. This time it was worse. A member of the brass ensemble, a black musician, did a few rounds on his moped in the backstage area. The police officer obviously didn't like that at all. He stopped the musician and wanted to remove him from the dressing room area. Assurances that he was a musician and had a backstage pass were of no use. "You stole a pass," said the officer, who also made it clear that he obviously had difficulties in dealing with people of a different skin colour. When Keith Richards joined in and heard the story, he winced. "Racists!" he yelled, raging and retreating. He didn't want to go on stage. For an hour, promoters and bandmates talked down to the guitarist, and one apology followed another. Finally, Richards did go on stage and the show started an hour late. The biggest security risk - just imagine what happens when 90,000 don't get what they expect - was thus a single gendarmerie officer. Will that be enough for promotion? V.R.

The Austrian OCR-Text:

"Show fast geplatzt

Das Open-air am Ö-Ring ging knapp an einer Absage vorbei. Auslösender Grund war das Verhalten eines Mannes der mobilen Einsatztruppe der Gendarmerie.

Die Katastrophe fand nur um Haaresbreite nicht statt. Ein Beamter des mobilen Einsatzkommandos der steirischen Gendarmerie hätte fast die Stones zur Absage ihrer Show am Ö-Ring veranlaßt, und das kam so: Im Prinzip sollten die Beamten der mobilen Einsatzgruppe den Backstagebereich, also den privaten Aufenthaltsraum der Rolling Stones, nicht betreten. Das steht sogar in der Verordnung für die Stones-Show am Österreich-Ring, da schon bei Bon Jovi vier Beamte dieser Gruppe den Privatbereich nicht verlassen wollten und eine zwanzigminütige Verzögerung der Show bewirkten. Diesmal war's ärger. Ein Mitglied des Bläserensembles. ein schwarzer Musiker, drehte im Backstagebereich ein paar Runden mit dem Mofa. Das gefiel dem Einsatzbeamten offenbar ganz und gar nicht. Er stoppte den Musiker und wollte ihn aus dem Garderobenbereich entfernen. Beteuerungen, daß er Musiker sei und einen Backstage-Paß habe, nützten nicht. „Du Paß gestohlen", sagte der Beamte und gab auch sonst zu erkennen, daß er offenbar Schwierigkeiten im Umgang mit Leuten anderer Hautfarbe hat. Als Keith Richards dazukam und die Geschichte erfuhr, zuckte er aus. „Rassisten!" brüllte er, tobte und zog sich zurück. Er wollte nicht auf die Bühne gehen. Eine Stunde lang redeten Veranstalter und Bandkollegen auf den Gitarristen ein, und eine Entschuldigung folgte der anderen. Schließlich ging Richards doch auf die Bühne und die Show begann mit einstündiger Verspätung. Das größte Sicherheitsrisiko - man braucht sich nur vorstellen, was passiert, wenn 90.000 nicht das bekommen, was sie erwarten - war somit ein einziger Gendarmeriebeamter. Ob das für eine Beförderung ausreicht? V.R.

Some decades ago, I discussed a problem with my now deceased friend Jim Callaghan, then head of the Stones security as some here might remember. He replied with a grin: "Look, that's not a problem! Do you want to know what a problem is?" He pointed to the packed stadium and said: "Look at this crowd and imagine what could happen when for one reason or another the show would have to be cancelled! Can you imagine the riot it could cause? Nothing, absolutely nothing could stop these masses of people. All we could do is reach our cars and leave as quick as possible!"

Keith should have known this, too. You simply don't risk a desaster like that with possibly many people hurt or even worse.

What would you have done? The way I see it Keith used the only weapon he had to get the situation somewhat mended. He probably would have played anyway.

Re: Bernard Fowler Austrian arrest
Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 26, 2023 15:55

rolling1us
Respect for Keith.

No idea if the story is true but Keith's reaction is plausible and true to his character , i think

Yep, typical Keith...shoot first, ask question later.

His support for Bernard was admirable....but he didn't take a minute to consider the thousands of folks who now wouldn't catch their last bus home !

Goodness knows what Mick said grinning smiley

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: January 26, 2023 17:53

Doxa
retired_dog
Irix
child-of-the-moon

"Show almost cancelled

The Austrian OCR-Text:

"Show fast geplatzt

Keith seems to have this weapon in his arsenal, and he is not afraid in using it. Once he threatened to cancel a whole tour (LICKS TOUR), since he was so mad about Mick's knighthood. I wonder if he really has ever been that serious, or just playing with the strong card he knows he has. As far as I know the threat has never been materialized (although he has sapotaged some Stones meetings and sessions by not turning up).

But I guess it had been quite a situation - keeping Callaghan's remark in mind - if there'd been announced: "We are sorry to say, but the show's been cancelled due to a policeman insulting our back-up singer with a racist manner, and Keith Richards has declined to play. Have a safe journay back home." How would have that 90 000 crowd reacted to that...

But I still respect his reaction. That crap needed to be called out. But probably it was a bit over-done (I guess the bandmates, especially one in particular, were not that pleased). But then again, he probably he knew what he was doing and knew that he would get his will through: that the racist idiot didn't have any other option than to apologize to Bernard.

- Doxa

All good and well, but cops are cops, and like all human beings, some are more friendly than others, some excuse when they realize they wrongly accused you of something, some who seem to think they're "sitting on a high horse" so to speak simply don't.

Bernard's story reminds me of something that happened to me when I was working in a recording studio until early in the morning and despite being offered a bed in the studio owner's home decided to drive home because of an important business date next afternoon. However, I had to stop my journey after a while because I nearly fell asleep and ended up at a lonely highway parking place. Stopped the car, locked doors and windows and immediately fell asleep. Next I noticed some 2 or 3 hours later were two people by my car, one knocking at the windows, shouting "Police! Take your hands up slowly and come out of the car!" repeatedly - while the other guy, standing a bit more distant, aimed a gun right into my direction. As they wore no uniforms and looked unshaved, sweaty and all in all suspicious, surely not like policemen, I repeatedly asked to present me their Police ID's - what they not only declined but made them even more aggressive. I finally gave up, really thought these were robbers instead, but thought I'd better lose my car and belongings than my life by trying to quickstart my car and escape the situation, left the car, was searched by one while the other searched my car...

Turned out that the same morning, a bank office in a town close to the highway was robbed and the robbers fled in a car that looked similar to mine. I received no apologies whatsoever, not even for their behaviour to deny me their Police ID's that could have relieved the situation. What could I do? I contacted my lawyers afterwards to find out if there was something that could be done, at least trying to get an apology. They advised me to leave it alone, as frightening as this situation appeared to me, because almost inevitably it would end nowhere, not least because they were two and I was alone, so they could state whatever they want...

And, needless to say, I could not even play the "racism card" because I'm white. You see, shit like this can happen to everyone, no matter of the colour of your skin - and, like I said, police is police, like all human beings some are friendly, some not so much, and some are downright a..h... (or racists) when they have you in their focus.

Yes, it's nice that Keith was loyal to his friend Bernard, but concerning the bigger picture I think that Spud sums it up nicely in his previous post:

"Yep, typical Keith...shoot first, ask question later.

His support for Bernard was admirable....but he didn't take a minute to consider the thousands of folks who now wouldn't catch their last bus home !

Goodness knows what Mick said"

Well, I can only imagine what Mick said... Enough already!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-01-26 21:53 by retired_dog.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: January 27, 2023 02:30

retired_dog
Doxa
retired_dog
Irix
child-of-the-moon

"Show almost cancelled

The Austrian OCR-Text:

"Show fast geplatzt

- Doxa

All good and well, but cops are cops, and like all human beings, some are more friendly than others, some excuse when they realize they wrongly accused you of something, some who seem to think they're "sitting on a high horse" so to speak simply don't.

Bernard's story reminds me of something that happened to me when I was working in a recording studio until early in the morning and despite being offered a bed in the studio owner's home decided to drive home because of an important business date next afternoon. However, I had to stop my journey after a while because I nearly fell asleep and ended up at a lonely highway parking place. Stopped the car, locked doors and windows and immediately fell asleep. Next I noticed some 2 or 3 hours later were two people by my car, one knocking at the windows, shouting "Police! Take your hands up slowly and come out of the car!" repeatedly - while the other guy, standing a bit more distant, aimed a gun right into my direction. As they wore no uniforms and looked unshaved, sweaty and all in all suspicious, surely not like policemen, I repeatedly asked to present me their Police ID's - what they not only declined but made them even more aggressive. I finally gave up, really thought these were robbers instead, but thought I'd better lose my car and belongings than my life by trying to quickstart my car and escape the situation, left the car, was searched by one while the other searched my car...

Turned out that the same morning, a bank office in a town close to the highway was robbed and the robbers fled in a car that looked similar to mine. I received no apologies whatsoever, not even for their behaviour to deny me their Police ID's that could have relieved the situation. What could I do? I contacted my lawyers afterwards to find out if there was something that could be done, at least trying to get an apology. They advised me to leave it alone, as frightening as this situation appeared to me, because almost inevitably it would end nowhere, not least because they were two and I was alone, so they could state whatever they want...

And, needless to say, I could not even play the "racism card" because I'm white. You see, shit like this can happen to everyone, no matter of the colour of your skin - and, like I said, police is police, like all human beings some are friendly, some not so much, and some are downright a..h... (or racists) when they have you in their focus.

Yes, it's nice that Keith was loyal to his friend Bernard, but concerning the bigger picture I think that Spud sums it up nicely in his previous post:

"Yep, typical Keith...shoot first, ask question later.

Goodness knows what Mick said"

Well, I can only imagine what Mick said... Enough already!

i'm sorry this happened to you but maybe you should have reported them and demanded an apology and/or an investigation into those two officers for failing to show there id's

what if you tired and less able to make a rational decision with 2-3 hours of sleep in an uncomfortable car in an unfamiliar place made the understandable though admittedly poor decision to flee the scene of what a reasonable person could suspect was an attempted armed carjacking

and those officers shot and killed you then lied to to there superiors and your family about what happened said they showed there id's when requested and you still fled

or your failure to attempt to hold these officers to account led to them continuing to behave this way and the next time someone dies

but i understand you not wanting to put yourself or your family thru the challenge of trying to hold them to account

my cousin also had to considers this when he also had a bad interaction the police

several years ago my cousins neighbor and friend a man in his mid 70's got into a fight with his girlfriends much younger son who was living with them

this ended up spilling into the neighbour's yard where this young man pushed the ederly man to the ground and proceeded to kick him to death while my cousin watched from his front room window

he immediately called the police they promptly arrived and arrested the young man

now my cousins suffers from mental illness related to a severe concussion he received when he was younger and has trouble controlling his emotions in times of great stress which this was

he informed the responding officer of this and his need to go blow off some steam in his backyard by himself and that he may be yelling cursing and hitting the ground with a rake to help calm himself down

the officer said he understood and my cousin went into his backyard

a little while later three more officers responded to the scene but instead of pulling up to the front of the house they pulled up in the alley behind my cousins house and aproached the scene thru his backyard where they saw him yelling and hitting the ground with a rake

the three officers immediately pulled there guns on him and screamed and cursed at him to drop the rake and get on the ground which he did

one officer then proceeded to put his foot on his neck while another handcuffed him and the third PRESSED his gun to his head while yelling he will shoot him if he resists

at this point my cousins five year old son runs out of the back door of the house screaming and crying for the cops to not kill his father and shortly after his wife and one of the officer who initially responded to the scene show up as well and informed the other officers of what was going on and they released him

but the damage was done my cousin suffers ptsd so severe that years later he's unable to sleep has panic attacks and can't work and regularly attends meetings intended for veterans suffering ptsd

his son is terrified of the police and spent months glued to his fathers side convinced that the cops where gonna come and kill his dad and years latter still suffers nightmares about it

like you he consulted a lawyer and was told that likely nothing would come of it and it was best to let it go and he decided that was best and he didn't want to have to but himself or his family thru this

and this isn't the first time he's suffered abuse from the police he's been regularly pulled over by the police for any number of made up reasons since he began driving

and like bernard he's been accused of stealing things he didn't and told he was lying when he told them he didn't

it should be noted that my cousin is black and a very large black man at that but let's take the racial issue off the table and just look at this for what it is an abuse of power from people who should be protecting us

and listen i support the police i belevie they do adamarble, difficult and very dangerous jobs that are nessacary because humans are terrible and someone needs to be there to protects us from them

but like you said there human and just as capable of being terrible as everyone else which is why it's important that we hold them to account when they need to be

that is why i think what keith did was both admirable and right

he's a man who's had close relationships with black people almost his entire life and i have no doubt he was told about things that happened to his friends in the 50's thru the 70's in america (at a time i'm sure few would argue many police where overtly racist in there opinions and actions and got away with it) that disgusted him to his core

especially as a person whom already had a great distrusted and outright hatred for people in positions of authority

but your right and i'm sure he would have also been very aware already of what would happen if the stones cancelled there show with 90,000 fans waiting

that the potential resulting riot could very well lead to many people getting hurt or even killed and a great amount of property damage done

and whether or not bernard received an apology from the officer (if keith indeed wanted that) he would have gone on with the show anyways and very possibly let the crowd know what happened and his opinions on the matter

Re: Bernard Fowler "arrest" Österreich Ring Zeltweg Austria, Aug 1, 1995
Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 27, 2023 11:47

Yes, I think Keith is one of those people with a very strong sense of justice, who gets very offended when he perceives injustice anywhere...and racism probably remains the biggest scourge on justice in the world today.

But this strong sense of right and wrong is a trait I sometimes recognise in myself ...with my instinctive hot headed reactions not always having been the best way to deal with it !

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1502
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home