Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Promotional Album 1969
Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: January 24, 2023 02:23

I've read there are only about a few hundred copies of this promotional album and even less for the Decca version. I know a couple that are up for sale on eBay, discogs, etc. I would kill to be able to afford to purchase a copy for my collection!! Anyone here have a copy??

Re: Promotional Album 1969
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: January 24, 2023 02:45

JordyLicks96

I know a couple that are up for sale on eBay, discogs, etc.

[www.Discogs.com] , [www.eBay.com] , [www.eBay.com] , [www.eBay.com] . Currently 26 for sale - [www.Discogs.com] - but most of them are the different Australian RS-3006, not the rare U.S. RSD-1.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2023-01-24 03:30 by Irix.

Date: January 24, 2023 04:11

Irix
JordyLicks96

[www.Discogs.com] , [www.eBay.com] , [www.eBay.com] , [www.eBay.com] . Currently 26 for sale - [www.Discogs.com] - but most of them are the different Australian RS-3006, not the rare U.S. RSD-1.

One is selling on discogs for $220 without the cover though. I wonder if that's worth a purchase. eye popping smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 24, 2023 04:55

I have a couple of the Aussie ones, and a fake of the actual US version. Two hundred were rumoured to be printed of each and given to radio stations.

You have to be really careful when buying as there are fakes out there.

I almost pulled the trigger on one in Fair condition for $350 on Ebay but decided not to. Wondering if I made the right decision but this thing was grotty.

Date: January 24, 2023 06:08

treaclefingers
I have a couple of the Aussie ones, and a fake of the actual US version. Two hundred were rumoured to be printed of each and given to radio stations.

I almost pulled the trigger on one in Fair condition for $350 on Ebay but decided not to. Wondering if I made the right decision but this thing was grotty.

Are the Aussie albums legitimate releases?

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: January 24, 2023 11:20

Yes, the Australian copies are official. I bought one when it was new, but sold it recently. It doesn't have much value. The cover picture is cool though. Also, there's conflicting numbers on the USA release. For years it was reported to be 200, then lately some people say it's many more. However it's the UK version that's really rare for those that don't know it. I've seen it on eBay a handful of times and always more than $1000.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 24, 2023 11:38

There were 200 UK copies and 200 US copies, all sleeves were printed in the USA and therefore 200 Briain copies have different serial than the sleeve. Rarest are five copies that were signed by all Stones. The Australian version is not rare at all.

Mathijs

Posted by: Stone601 ()
Date: January 24, 2023 14:46

I bought an Australian copy for €30

Date: January 24, 2023 17:00

JordyLicks96
treaclefingers

Are the Aussie albums legitimate releases?

Yes.

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: January 24, 2023 17:53

I've probably said this already, but a reprint of this would make a great Record Store Day item. It's even got the ideal serial number prefix.

Posted by: Ricky ()
Date: January 24, 2023 21:18

blivet
I've probably said this already, but a reprint of this would make a great Record Store Day item. It's even got the ideal serial number prefix.

Yep

Posted by: Ricky ()
Date: January 24, 2023 21:18

All the info here:
[stonesondecca.com]

Date: January 25, 2023 03:16

As always, discogs proves an essential resource:

[www.discogs.com]

So RSD a high over $3000 and RSM never sold on discogs...clearly the rarer of the siblings!

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: January 25, 2023 03:51

I own both, and the RSM-1 is acknowledged in the collecting world to be the rarer of the 2 LPs.

There were approximately 12-15 RSM-1s signed by the whole band (except Bill signed for Charlie!) at a press event in October(?) 69. There were also hand-alterations to the publishing printing on the back covers of some of the RSM-1s, because publishing credits were either wrong or unauthorized, as I recall. www.stonesondecca.com will tell all.

The RSD-1 (US version) is known to be much more available, but also much more counterfeited. The phakes tend not to have matrixes.

Jan Richardsson's incredible Stones on Decca is the state of the art website to research these.

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Date: January 25, 2023 04:04

stonesstein
I own both, and the RSM-1 is acknowledged in the collecting world to be the rarer of the 2 LPs.

There were approximately 12-15 RSM-1s signed by the whole band (except Bill signed for Charlie!) at a press event in October(?) 69. There were also hand-alterations to the publishing printing on the back covers of some of the RSM-1s, because publishing credits were either wrong or unauthorized, as I recall. www.stonesondecca.com will tell all.

The RSD-1 (US version) is known to be much more available, but also much more counterfeited. The phakes tend not to have matrixes.

Jan Richardsson's incredible Stones on Decca is the state of the art website to research these.

SS...are these the most valuable in your collection? How long have you had them and when did you get them?

Posted by: Mr. Jimi ()
Date: January 26, 2023 02:12

I have posted this before in another thread, same topic. I had two of these albums in my hands at two different times. It was at second coming records, mass Ave in Cambridge ma back in the late 1980s. Both times I convinced myself that a bootleg of a show was worth more than a compilation. Damn. Anyways I have a question, if this was a promo album for American radio stations for the upcoming American tour, why is Brian on the cover? When was the tour planned? When was the album made?

Date: January 26, 2023 03:28

Mr. Jimi
I have posted this before in another thread, same topic. I had two of these albums in my hands at two different times. It was at second coming records, mass Ave in Cambridge ma back in the late 1980s. Both times I convinced myself that a bootleg of a show was worth more than a compilation. Damn. Anyways I have a question, if this was a promo album for American radio stations for the upcoming American tour, why is Brian on the cover? When was the tour planned? When was the album made?

I would say b/c all of the songs have Brian Jones on them (except for Love In Vain).

Date: January 26, 2023 03:36

stonesstein

Stones On Decca is fantastic. Also, I am so jealous you own both the London and Decca copies!!

Posted by: Mr. Jimi ()
Date: January 27, 2023 03:00

JordyLicks96
Mr. Jimi

I would say b/c all of the songs have Brian Jones on them (except for Love In Vain).

Yes of course, that's what I thought but just found it a little strange but I guess it makes sense.

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: January 27, 2023 05:49

treaclefingers
stonesstein

SS...are these the most valuable in your collection? How long have you had them and when did you get them?

Treacle, blessings upon you!!!! No, I am blessed to have been lucky enough to pick up other things that eclipse these, though RSM is in the top 10!!!

I obtained the RSD-1 in 1995 and the RSM-1 in about 2007, I think.

IMPORTANT to all - beware of phakes!!!!!!

Treacle, shine on you crazy diamond!!!!!

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Date: January 27, 2023 16:14

stonesstein
treaclefingers
stonesstein

Treacle, blessings upon you!!!! No, I am blessed to have been lucky enough to pick up other things that eclipse these, though RSM is in the top 10!!!

I obtained the RSD-1 in 1995 and the RSM-1 in about 2007, I think.

IMPORTANT to all - beware of phakes!!!!!!

Treacle, shine on you crazy diamond!!!!!

Thx SS...the early 2000s were where I went on a rampage and bought almost everything, every DECCA 45, every US picture sleeve, variations of the London Albums etc., virtually every US release post GHS sealed (and unsealed of course) and a few London albums sealed (early 70s copies I think).

Anyway it's been a fun ride but my zeal in collecting those expensive esoteric releases has waned a bit...other priorities have taken over!

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 27, 2023 17:00

Ricky
All the info here:
[stonesondecca.com]

Fantastic information!

There seems to be great uncertainty about the signatures through, with the most likely conclusion that these were done by somebody from the Stones office.

That reminds of a remark by Ron Schneider in his book, that for as long as he worked with the band none of the Stones would sign anything, and that he and members from the Stones office did all signatures.

Mathijs

Posted by: tioms ()
Date: January 28, 2023 16:11

There are a few thousand of RSD 1 (LONDON)

Only 200 RSM 1 (DECCA) are for the UK. And 20 of them are signed by the stones.
That members from the stones office signed this 20 lp's, I don't believe that.

Posted by: mattleeuk ()
Date: February 7, 2023 22:51

Many, many years ago, (technically in the last millennium) there was a London RSD1 cover without a record on eBay. I snapped it up for $50 thinking oh well, I will never be able to afford a whole one, let alone a “proper” Decca one. Literally the next week there was a record without the cover! Another $25 later and I had my first complete promo album! I now have four US ones and four UK ones ;-)

JordyLicks96
Irix
JordyLicks96

One is selling on discogs for $220 without the cover though. I wonder if that's worth a purchase. eye popping smiley

Posted by: Jan Richards ()
Date: February 12, 2023 12:00

Nice way to get a complete record Matt !! And very nice to see an interesting record post in a looong time here.

A few comments from my side on this legendary album.

For sure the UK RSM.1 was printed in 200 copies only. That we can confirm based on the Decca letter that can be found with some of the records.
Interesting is that I have heard that a few more that 200 covers were made but that cannot be confirmed. I have held one empty cover in my hand, so there could be a few empty ones out there.
On the other hand, I have seen the UK RSM for sale less cover three times on e-bay. 2006 & 2013 and as late as of July last year. Not known if that actually was the one and same record. But still, the "Matt way" could be possible to get a complete RSM.1 as well !

How many did they press? I have seen many different opinions on this through the years. The UK RSM, that is pressed in 200 copies. That we know based on the Decca letter.
Problem is 99% of collectors out there do not understand / know the difference in between London and Decca. So the very wrong information that the US RSD would be pressed in 200 copies is floating around out in the wild west.
Just looking at the amount of US RSD records for sale all the time, I would say that the US version was pressed at least 10 time more that the UK one. I may even stretch my opinion to 20-25 times more... which would place the number of US records around 3-4000, easily.

I have in my collection one UK signed, one UK non signed but with the publisher correction on the back, one US, one US boot and picture record boot. Two Australian ones as well but I do not consider them to be genuine Promotional Albums as they have different songs on them.
I should get a third UK with a clean back cover.....

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Posted by: deardoctortake1 ()
Date: February 12, 2023 18:22

Over the years,I’ve had 2 or 3 RSD-1s on US London. Currently I’ve kept one, plus a really good counterfeit, identical except for the matrix number.

To my knowledge, the first we fans heard about The Promotional album was in 1976 in Roy Carr’s book, An Illustrated Record on page 58. He only refers to RSM-1 and it’s existence of 200 copies. In later years, RSD-1 is mentioned elsewhere such as 1983’s Rolling Stones Collectors Bible, claiming 200 copies with a 300 dollar value then.Dieter Hoffman’s Das Weissbuck in 1991 lists and shows the RSD-1 with a value of 600DM, but no mention of quantity.

My opinion is that the 200 copies of RSD-1 commonly now used is an assumption based on the stated and written documentation quantity of RSM-1.
My estimate, based on number of US radio stations in 1969 and frequency of RSD-1s that appear is that there were probably several hundred copies pressed, but not several thousand.
Extrapolating data from EBay based on frequency of appearance is a solid guessing method, but not scientific or exact. Many RSD-1s are resold from time to time. Also as mentioned counterfeits exist. Also consider this method regarding the 2020 Record Store Day release of the 900 apparent pressings of the hand poured Let It Bleed. Currently there are about 10/900 for sale on eBay, but only 2/200-2000? of RSD-1.
Bottom line no one knows the number of RSD-1s pressed, but I’ll go with hundreds but not thousands.
Still rare and valuable and fun and necessary for any Stones collector.

Posted by: soundboard ()
Date: February 13, 2023 00:53

This guy has a historical collection.
But the first album he pulls out in the stacks is...

[www.youtube.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1883
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home