Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: O/T Musicians You've Met
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 24, 2023 03:26

tatters
If we're talking about a chance encounter, and not something connected to a meet and greet or a record signing or hanging out backstage at a gig ..... then I can only say that I've met Lou Reed.

In 1986 I was working at a publishing company in New York, and one day a girl who worked there came over to my desk and said, "Lou Reed is sitting in our lobby." I walked out there and sure enough, it was Lou, looking exactly the way you would expect him to look. He was shopping around a manuscript and was looking for a publisher. It was the first time I'd ever seen him in person, and it was on my turf! smoking smiley

Lou was cool. He actually bummed a cig from me. I was like "here Mr Reed, take the pack!". He told me his wife at the time was making him smoke "those damn light cigs!". I know smoking is bad for you but a cool story nonetheless. I actually got to have a conversation with him & he was really nice. One of my heroes for sure. smoking smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 24, 2023 03:53

....met 'em all from Jesus ta Keith ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: January 24, 2023 04:42

I'll admit to

John Lennon
Paul McCartney
Pete Townshend
Keith Moon

(Which on seeing the list like that, if it had ever come about, would have made an interesting SuperGroup)

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 24, 2023 15:33

- Graham Parker
- Jesse Malin (of D Generation), twice - once drank w/ him in a bar, before his gig.
- 2 main guys from Del-Lords (but I don't know their names)
- Spider Stacy (Pogues), and also drank w/ him (he doesn't drink anymore however)
- Steve Earle! (had to edit, forgot that one until i saw subsequent post - he did a meet & greet after a show!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-01-24 16:33 by LeonidP.

Posted by: martinw ()
Date: January 24, 2023 16:00

Steve Earle, Ian Hunter, Mick Ralphs and Joe Camilleri. And I once stood behind Jimmy Page in a queue for a cash machine (Nat West, Kensington High Street and no, I didn't see his PIN number)...

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: January 24, 2023 18:57

Erwin Watts, and several others.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: January 24, 2023 19:03

NashvilleBlues
Hung with Paul Collins (The Nerves, Paul Collins' Beat) just before a house party he played in Murfreesboro, TN about 10 years ago. Cool, down-to-earth dude. Also met DJ Fontana (Elvis) and chatted with him (he played at friend's birthday party). Only two I've really met.

I've shared a moment with (got a high 5 from, patted on back, nodded at, made eye contact with, got a guitar pick from, etc.): Dave Grohl (Nirvana, Foo Fighters), Jerry Cantrell (Alice In Chains), Caleb and Nathan Followill (Kings of Leon), Troy Sanders (Mastodon), Jesse Hughes (Eagles of Death Metal)...

All were chance happenings. Celebrity chasers suck.

Forgot Keith Urban! While I was working at Hat World, just after he started getting a bit popular, he came in and bought 4 Von Dutch trucker hats (when they were popular, if that helps with the timeline) from me. He said he liked the hats, but not the logo and would take the Von Dutch logo off. Haha! Nicest customer ever. Called me by name and was personable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-01-24 19:05 by NashvilleBlues.

Posted by: masseywinos ()
Date: January 24, 2023 20:12

Buddy Guy at his club 10 years ago. Chatted briefly with him about Shine A Light

Stompin Tom Connors- an evening at his home in Erin, Ontario. That was a blast from what I remember lol

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 24, 2023 22:19

crholmstrom
NICOS
Impressive list from a lot of you ......did you meet them by coincidence grinning smiley

I almost shook hand with Marianne Faithful confused smiley
Keith Richards looked at me at a concert

I do met some locals from my neighborhood
Shocking Blue
Golden Earring: Helped one of them to fix his self made guitar
Eelco Gelling: Who was a good friend of my sister and brother in law I met him a lot

I was in the music business in Seattle for over 25 years. It was a part of my job to meet bands, etc. I know my list is long. A lot of those (not all) were brief & there's more I could put on the list. I was a music buyer for a large chain of stores in the Northwest USA for a large part of that time. I was also a sales reporter for Billboard magazine. I've got a lot of cool stories & memories. Also, some cool pictures with people. I was at ground zero during the grunge years in Seattle. I never chased anyone. Sometimes things happened by chance like having Neil Young sit in the seat in front of me at the movies in NYC. I didn't bother him but did exchange pleasantries after the film. Years later I met him at a social function for the Bridge School & he actually remembered me. That was pretty cool!

thumbs up That makes it clear

Posted by: keefmick ()
Date: January 24, 2023 23:00

Keith Richards

Bruce Springsteen--a couple times

Steven Tyler

Jeff Beck

Chuck Leavell

Ian Paice

Steve Morse

Jon Anderson

Elle King

Fitz and the Tantrums

Posted by: DirtyT ()
Date: January 26, 2023 03:49

relative to stones..
bernard and blondie in elevator at ritz in boston after the show.
Joey Spampinto at party we talked about chick berry movie.

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: January 26, 2023 04:03

crholmstrom
tatters
If we're talking about a chance encounter, and not something connected to a meet and greet or a record signing or hanging out backstage at a gig ..... then I can only say that I've met Lou Reed.

In 1986 I was working at a publishing company in New York, and one day a girl who worked there came over to my desk and said, "Lou Reed is sitting in our lobby." I walked out there and sure enough, it was Lou, looking exactly the way you would expect him to look. He was shopping around a manuscript and was looking for a publisher. It was the first time I'd ever seen him in person, and it was on my turf! smoking smiley

Lou was cool. He actually bummed a cig from me. I was like "here Mr Reed, take the pack!". He told me his wife at the time was making him smoke "those damn light cigs!". I know smoking is bad for you but a cool story nonetheless. I actually got to have a conversation with him & he was really nice. One of my heroes for sure. smoking smiley

A friend of mine once 'met' Lou Reed outside a theatre where he was playing about 20 years ago. When Lou came out the stage door, my friend got so excited, he started waving his arms around and accidentally knocked Lou's cig out of his mouth. Lou just said:"Hey man, be cool!"smoking smiley

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: January 26, 2023 04:52

Mick Jagger
Ronnie Wood

Ann & Nancy Wilson

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: January 26, 2023 05:06

John Mayall
Paul Westerberg (The Replacements)
Arlo Guthrie
Rick Nielsen (Cheap Trick)
Keith Knudsen, Patrick Simmons (Doobie Brothers)
Gary Louris (The Jayhawks)
Dean Wareham, Sean Eden, Lee Wall (Luna)
Bernard Fowler
Speech (Arrested Development)

Nodded to Jeff Beck (who nodded back) but not a proper meeting.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 26, 2023 10:48

John Mellencamp, in Indiana. Robert Plant, Jimmy Page, 1970. Bonnie Raitt. Little Richard. Eddie Money. The Thunderbirds.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: January 26, 2023 11:52

I never want to be disappointed so avoid it, but I did block Charlie's path at the 100 club gig . I was drunk, shook his hand and said hello . He was patient and as I stood aside after getting the look from his minder I said thanks for doing this . He turned and said "it makes a change from the other lot " and grinned . Lovely man . I'm still upset about his passing .

Spoke to Chuck Levell in VIP once . Another nice guy

Had a pee in a club in Chicago and had Bernard and Daryl stood either side of me . We didn't shake hands spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

sc uk

Posted by: AshtrayGirl ()
Date: January 26, 2023 12:19

Nick Cave
Bobbie Gillespie and Martin Duffy from Primal Scream
Suede (every member of the band)
Jarvis Cocker
Roger O'Donnell from The Cure
Stefan Olsdal from Placebo
Rammstein (everyone except Till)
Marc Almond
Alex Kapranos from Franz Ferdinand
Ben Christo from The Sisters of Mercy (I saw Andrew Eldritch too, but I was too anxious to greet him)
Jeff Goldblum during his piano jazz show in Berlin (in this case, we can consider him a musician, not just an actor :p )

As regards the Stones, I met Charlie and Ronnie.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-01-26 12:22 by AshtrayGirl.

Date: January 26, 2023 12:24

Not interested in meeting them or getting autographs to be honest. I just leave them alone altought I would not fight the resistance to try and get a photo together.

Posted by: bernard90mike ()
Date: January 26, 2023 12:59

Charlie & Shirley Watts
Mick Taylor
Lisa Fischer
Bernard Fowler
Blondie Chaplin
Darryl Jones
Doug Wimbish
Nick Tremulis
Charlie Harper (UK Subs)

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1213
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home