Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Statues of Mick and Keith for Dartford High Street!
Posted by: Beast ()
Date: January 22, 2023 13:12

There are some photos accompanyning the article, but I don't know how to post them (sorry)...

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

Mick Jagger gets satisfaction from Rolling Stones statues in Dartford hometown
Jagger delighted at decision to erect statues of him and partner Keith Richards on the High Street of their native Dartford.

They have come a long way since a chance reunion at a railway station prompted them to form what would go on to become one of the world’s greatest rock bands: the Rolling Stones.

But after decades of sell-out stadium tours and millions of record sales comes what might be considered the ultimate accolade for Sir Mick Jagger and Keith Richards: a statue in the town where it all began.

Jagger has welcomed the decision to erect the statue of him and his long-standing musical partner on the High Street of their native Dartford, telling The Telegraph: “I’m honoured and delighted with the news.”

Jeremy Kite, leader of Dartford Borough Council, said the sculpture would be a fitting tribute to the cultural impact the pair have had since leaving the Kent town in the early 1960s.

“Many Dartfordians have gone on to change our world, but in terms of culture and music you don’t get much more influential than the Rolling Stones,” he said. “Their music has changed the face of popular music and these lads from Dartford are now two of the most recognisable and loved people in the world.”

The statues will be placed so that the public can walk through and around the figures, and interact with them

The statues, by renowned sculptor Amy Goodman, will be sited a short walk from Dartford Railway Station, where Jagger and Richards – who had earlier attended Wentworth Primary School together – bumped into each other again as teenagers in 1961.

Here, while waiting on Platform 2 for a train, they started chatting about their shared love of music, particularly American blues and R&B, and resolved to stay in touch, eventually going on to form a band.

Mr Kite said: “We want to celebrate that their roots are firmly planted right here in our town and also thank them for the impression they have made on lives. It always makes us smile to see Keith Richards wearing his ‘Straight Outta Dartford’ t-shirt on stage and the recognition of the importance of hometown roots is mutual.

“We want them to know that we appreciate them and also we want to cheer up local people and visitors with the message that even small towns can nurture people who change the world.”

The statues are being completed by Ms Goodman at her studio before being unveiled at One Bell Corner – a popular meeting point on Dartford High Street – in the coming months.

The Rolling Stones were formed in 1962 and have gone on to become one of the most enduring rock groups of all time
The Rolling Stones were formed in 1962 and have gone on to become one of the most enduring rock groups of all time CREDIT: Hulton Archive
Ms Goodman, whose public works include the First World War Romsey War Horse & Trooper and the Gurkha Memorial in Aldershot, said: “They are such icons, and I have always been a huge fan of their music.

“I intend to create two dynamic figures which capture the incredible energy and chemistry that the two of them have when performing together on stage, that the public can walk through and around, and interact with. It will be such an exciting challenge.”

After attending Wentworth Primary School together, Jagger and Richards went on to different schools.

Jagger, who grew up on Denver Road, attended Dartford Grammar School – now home to the Mick Jagger Centre that opened in 2000 – while Richards, who lived above a parade of shops on Chastilian Road, went to Dartford Technical High School.

The statues were funded by the building firm Bellway, which has built a development of 634 new homes at nearby Copperhouse Green.

Emma Hamlett, sales director at Bellway London, said: “The Rolling Stones are one of the most influential bands of all time so it is extremely fitting that the public artwork being provided as part of our development should celebrate the fact that two of the group’s founding members grew up here in Dartford.”

Re: Statues of Mick and Keith for Dartford High Street!
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: January 22, 2023 14:00

Also mentioned here - [iorr.org] .

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: January 22, 2023 23:05

Beast
There are some photos accompanyning the article, but I don't know how to post them

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-01-24 17:39 by schillid.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 22, 2023 23:35

ROCKMAN

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: January 23, 2023 00:15

First off, very cool to see this finally happening. Congrats to Amy for getting the workm

Curious to see Keith's face. Mick, I'd try again with that one.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 23, 2023 01:19

Would have expected younger versions of Keith and Mick.
And yeah MingSubu, Mick's face need a fix...looks like he's in pain and sad...

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 23, 2023 01:50

Damn, those look rather big statues. Cool. Surely Mick's face needs some trimming (better not to judge a work in progress), but I like the way their live presence and essence is captured.

- Doxa

Date: January 23, 2023 01:57

ROCKMAN

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: January 23, 2023 10:04

Great to see that the statues are huge and I like to see the expression!

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 23, 2023 12:21

Keith will likely make some comment about getting sh*t on by the pigeons grinning smiley

Date: January 23, 2023 13:16

Looks surprisingly great! 1981/82 thumbs up

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: January 23, 2023 21:16

Looking good, but Mick's face could be worked on.
I like the forms, they were most always in motion.

Date: January 23, 2023 22:09

Thanks, schillid and Rockman!

I agree that the sculptor looks to have captured their movements/stances pretty well, especially Keith. Also agree that there is something about Mick's face that could be improved but can't work out exactly what it is - maybe the top half, as I think the mouth/lips are OK. Even so, I don't think it's bad - he is at least recognizable, which is more than can be said for some statues!

Posted by: Adams ()
Date: January 23, 2023 22:15

Beast

I agree that the sculptor looks to have captured their movements/stances pretty well, especially Keith. Also agree that there is something about Mick's face that could be improved but can't work out exactly what it is - maybe the top half, as I think the mouth/lips are OK. Even so, I don't think it's bad - he is at least recognizable, which is more than can be said for some statues!

I would say the shape of his face could be improved.
Maybe it will be.

Date: January 23, 2023 22:25

Looking good ..chin/jaw maybe needs ta be rounder
and she's captured Mick's earlobe spot on ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: January 23, 2023 22:37

" I have had to keep quiet about this for quite some time, but am so thrilled to be able to share that I recently won the commission from Dartford Borough Council to sculpt two incredible music icons, Sir Mick Jagger and Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones. Both Dartford boys.

Such an unbelievable honour and privilege.

Very grateful that the @telegraph have posted two photos taken by #RussellSach showing me working on the clays. A great article in the online paper too.

I have made a lot more progress on the clays and re angled the position of Sir Mick’s hand and microphone since these photos were taken. I really wanted to capture their energy, mid performance. Jagger strutting, whilst Keith is absorbed in his guitar: his famous ‘Micawber’Telecaster.

Tonnes of work ahead. More updates will follow."

[www.instagram.com]

Date: January 23, 2023 22:38

Beast

I can't quite work it out either but my impression was something in the bottom half of Mick's face needs to be tweaked.
Now the recent statues of MLK, they don't do him justice, sadly.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: January 24, 2023 01:36

Not 100% about Mick for the reasons already given by others but imho she’s got Keith absolutely spot on for 1981/82.

Date: January 24, 2023 14:44

Here's an article by the public art consultancy involved in the commissioning:

[francisknight.co.uk]

Would it be too rude to somehow get the fan input about Mick's face to the sculptor?

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 24, 2023 14:57

They look cool as @#$%&, dynamic! hot smiley

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 24, 2023 15:16

The sculptor talks about "Micawber". She knows her shit!thumbs up

Keef is really 1981/82 version of the man and damn accurate and essential capturation of it, but Mick's era of reference is a bit more vague, at least for me. Surely there is that 1981/82 essence, but the belt, the microphone and a bit short hair are a bit anomalous. Is there an aim to capture more like a timeless representation of him, something from here and there?

- Doxa

Date: January 24, 2023 16:10

Rockman
..chin/jaw maybe needs ta be rounder
YES I think that's it

Otherwise, great capture of Glimmers' in action

Date: January 24, 2023 17:01

Larger than lifesize - hopefully they will be positioned on a plinth out of harms way! (not wishing to cast aspersions on the good citizens of Dartford....)

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 24, 2023 17:06

Rockman

Looking good ..chin/jaw maybe needs ta be rounder
and she's captured Mick's earlobe spot on ....

It'll look closer once the statue grows the hair out a bit at the back.

Date: January 24, 2023 17:28

These will require permanent supports of some kind...
Unobtrusive, not too visible

Date: January 24, 2023 17:31

Mick... running and sneering at the same time!
great poses, especially Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-01-24 17:36 by schillid.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 24, 2023 20:15

Keith is absolutely accurate while there are several issues with Micks face - nothing that can't be corrected though.
The mouth, the teeth, the eyes, the chin, the forehead, and the hair all could use some refinement, but I think it's the expression of the eyes and the horse-like teeth/mouth that are throwing everything off...

Date: January 24, 2023 21:50

She is a good sculptor but listening to all these posts, Mick needs a new head.
Keith looks great.

Date: January 25, 2023 13:00

MKjan

She is a good sculptor but listening to all these posts, Mick needs a new head. Keith looks great.

You could contact her about this: Amy Goodman (Sculptor & Portrait Artist) - [AmyGoodman.co.uk] , [Twitter.com] , [Facebook.com] , [www.Instagram.com] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-01-25 22:00 by Irix.

Date: January 25, 2023 13:15

This seems to be the template:

[FrancisKnight.co.uk] - Large picture

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1678
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home