Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Saw a true legend tonight: Booker T Jones
Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: January 21, 2023 08:37

I bought tickets last summer for tonight’s show in Bremerton, Washington. Wasn’t sure what to expect but I have always loved his music and his legacy with Stax and all the incredible artists he has worked with.
He looked great and his B3 sounded as good as ever. What I did not expect was the team of 3 talented young vocalists, 2 guys and a young lady. They sang many of the songs from the artists he paid tribute to: Carla Thomas, Sam and Dave, Wilson Picket, Otis Redding, and more. The singers are incredibly talented and brought such energy to the show. Booker told the story of once having to write a song for Albert King by the next day. It was Born Under A Bad Sign, and he sang it tonight. He is backed by a 3-piece band of bass, drums, and guitar, played by his son. He went through all of his hits and it was pure joy to be there and listen to this legend perform. I last saw him live in 1969! It was a packed house of enthusiastic fans who loudly showed their appreciation to this outstanding, talented gentleman. What a show!

Re: Saw a true legend tonight: Booker T Jones
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 21, 2023 10:33

DaveG
I bought tickets last summer for tonight’s show in Bremerton, Washington. Wasn’t sure what to expect but I have always loved his music and his legacy with Stax and all the incredible artists he has worked with.
He looked great and his B3 sounded as good as ever. What I did not expect was the team of 3 talented young vocalists, 2 guys and a young lady. They sang many of the songs from the artists he paid tribute to: Carla Thomas, Sam and Dave, Wilson Picket, Otis Redding, and more. The singers are incredibly talented and brought such energy to the show. Booker told the story of once having to write a song for Albert King by the next day. It was Born Under A Bad Sign, and he sang it tonight. He is backed by a 3-piece band of bass, drums, and guitar, played by his son. He went through all of his hits and it was pure joy to be there and listen to this legend perform. I last saw him live in 1969! It was a packed house of enthusiastic fans who loudly showed their appreciation to this outstanding, talented gentleman. What a show!

Sounds like a cool show. I might've went if I knew about it. I live in West Seattle. Glad you had a good time! smileys with beer

Posted by: BlueTurns2Grey ()
Date: January 21, 2023 12:38

You'll never forget this show. A friend of mine had the luck to sit in front of another legend, Muddy Waters, at one of his european shows, unforgettable.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: January 22, 2023 22:07

Saw Booker a little over a decade ago I think when he opened for Bachman/Cummings in Abbotsford BC. Thought for sure his encore would be Green Onions but he actually played it midway through his set! Good show. My brother was surprised that he knew pretty much all the Bachman/Cummings set list since he doesn't really listen to BTO or Guess Who but since they're Canadian, you hear their songs a lot on the radio over the years.

Also, as Keith said, Stoned is basically a ripoff of Green Onions.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: January 22, 2023 22:09

I saw him this summer. Robby Krieger played Green Onions with him.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: January 22, 2023 22:25

He is a legend. Have seen him a few times with and without the MGs

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 23, 2023 10:52

We have the same birthday. Went to the same university. That's about it for my accomplishments. I saw him as an opening act at the Hollywood Bowl three or four years ago. He really outshined the headliner that night. Of course he doesn't have the original members of the MGs, Steve Cropper being the only other survivor, but he does put on a good show.

Someone else who is similar is Niles Rodgers. He has some excellent singers and they go through big hits he's done, like his work with Chic, and songs he produced for others like Let's Dance, and Upside Down.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1730
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home