Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Girl groups could save RocknRoll
Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: January 20, 2023 18:47

Girl groups. Girls actually playing all the instruments. I imagine it just like in football. It's going to be ridiculed by some oafs for a period of time (like the Stones were) and then people will come around and realize that here they have the real thing. It's still there. Way more real than Kanye can ever hope to be. What do you think?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-01-20 19:24 by bv.

Re: You know what I believe could save RocknRoll?
Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: January 20, 2023 19:02

I feel like it's been tried many times before but it just never really catches on with males or females.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: January 20, 2023 19:05

Nikkei
Girl groups. Girls actually playing all the instruments. I imagine it just like in football. It's going to be ridiculed by some oafs for a period of time (like the Stones were) and then people will come around and realize that here they have the real thing. It's still there. Way more real than Kanye can ever hope to be. What do you think?

so you think rock music is in a similar situation like pop music was shortly before the Spice Girls were casted? (the were casted after producers realized that there hasn't been a successful girl band for a long time)

Date: January 20, 2023 19:16

I don't really see where rock music is generally, having been so fixated on the Stones for the last 8 years. But I think it is pop music that has run out of ideas of what you can do when you go full digital and I refuse to believe that the art of playing an instrument will die out. So it becomes a question of who will pick it up next and that is where the football analogy comes in. It could be mostly covers at first because people will be looking to hear these songs. Keith also made some remarks in his book how the bubblegum pop of the 50s was a completely dead end to him and it was the american artists on the radio and the music that his mom listened to that got things started for him.

Posted by: Congratulations ()
Date: January 20, 2023 19:17

Nikkei
Girl groups. Girls actually playing all the instruments.

Where have you been the last 58 years?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-01-20 19:21 by Congratulations.

Date: January 20, 2023 19:27

I know it's been done, but I think the time for it is now. I have seen a Led Zeppelin cover band called Lez Zeppelin that was all women and they were amazing. They made a considerable effort to actually look exactly like LZ looked in 1973. It is quite a trip and certainly better than some holograms or whatever that is supposed to be the next thing

Date: January 20, 2023 19:31

Nikkei
I know it's been done, but I think the time for it is now. I have seen a Led Zeppelin cover band called Lez Zeppelin that was all women and they were amazing. They made a considerable effort to actually look exactly like LZ looked in 1973. It is quite a trip and certainly better than some holograms or whatever that is supposed to be the next thing

Perhaps we can also have all-male tributes for The Supremes, The Ronettes, The Shangri-Las, etc... on second thoughts, scrap that idea! eye rolling smiley

Here's a fine early female musician (Rockabilly pioneer Charlie Feathers cited her as an influence):

Re: OT: Girl groups could save RocknRoll
Date: January 20, 2023 19:39

Any Slade fans on here?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 20, 2023 19:46

ROCKMAN

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: January 21, 2023 00:22

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: January 21, 2023 00:36

Nikkei

Welcome to 30 years ago when girl groups started making up roughly half my purchases.

However, am I the only one here who thinks rock doesn't really need saving and that it's OK to take it off life support and let it die?

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: January 21, 2023 00:50

None

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: January 21, 2023 01:00

Congratulations
Nikkei

Perhaps we can also have all-male tributes for The Supremes, The Ronettes, The Shangri-Las, etc... on second thoughts, scrap that idea! eye rolling smiley

Here's a fine early female musician (Rockabilly pioneer Charlie Feathers cited her as an influence):

Love that performance!

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: January 21, 2023 01:17

Congratulations
Any Slade fans on here?

Wow, they're pretty good. Singer sounds like Noddy!

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: January 21, 2023 01:28

let's not forget peggy "lady bo" jones

the queen mother of guitar

[video]

[/video

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: January 21, 2023 02:30

Gotta hand it to Bo, he sure has a lot of songs named after himself! Hey Bo Diddley, Diddley Daddy, Story of Bo Diddley, etc.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: January 21, 2023 06:59

VoodooLounge13
I feel like it's been tried many times before but it just never really catches on with males or females.

Hole, Belly, Elastica, L7, Veruca Salt, Sleator Kinney, Bikini Kill, Babes in Toyland, The Breeders, Shonen Knife, Bratmbile and another 20 bands rubbish that notion.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: January 21, 2023 08:08

First Aid Kit. 2 sisters from Stockholm Sweden with backing musicians. Amazing band and Johanna has the best legs of any bass player on the planet. I am off to Oslo, Gothenburg, Malmo and Stockholm to see them next month. I saw them cover The Boys of Summer at Rock Werchter last summer after seeing the Eagles a week early. Their version blew away the Eagles and was filled with raw emotion.

[www.youtube.com]

Warpaint. I have seen them a few times and they are fun. Radiohead influenced.

[www.youtube.com]

These are two bands who would be great openers for the Stones. The Ghost Hounds are far inferior on their best nights.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 21, 2023 12:54

It's an utopia. Especially since rock and roll is a dying genre. And rock, for some stupid reason, was always based around girls idolizing boys. Not the other way around.

Date: January 21, 2023 13:34

Thanks for the input, guys and gals. I have had Veruca Salt tracks on my ipod for years but never bothered to look them up. I guess it's important to loosen up a bit with the vibe these days that you don't get to idolize your stars in a sexual way when that has been at the center of it since the mid sixties as pointed out by Stoneage just now. So I'll certainly have a look at the bass player with the legs.

Posted by: Mr. Jimi ()
Date: January 21, 2023 17:27

Paddy
VoodooLounge13

Hole, Belly, Elastica, L7, Veruca Salt, Sleator Kinney, Bikini Kill, Babes in Toyland, The Breeders, Shonen Knife, Bratmbile and another 20 bands rubbish that notion.

I loved Belly in my early 90s college days but I think they had a couple of guys in the band as well as with the breeders

Posted by: Mr. Jimi ()
Date: January 21, 2023 17:32

Go-go's??

Date: January 21, 2023 17:58

edit: plz excuse I didn't realize that's what the band is called.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-01-21 18:08 by Nikkei.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: January 21, 2023 19:31

Mr. Jimi
Paddy
VoodooLounge13

I loved Belly in my early 90s college days but I think they had a couple of guys in the band as well as with the breeders

Last Splash is one of my top 3 favorite albums ever and I go see them every chance I get. Even if they are really sloppy live. Love Kim, Kelly & Josephine.

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: January 23, 2023 10:55

Laura Cox Band ... really cool and rocking

video: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 23, 2023 11:51

As women continue to find a more assertive voice in today's world, the more motivation and acceptance there will be for more "serious" and unmanufactured female bands.

Rock music has always been guilty of misogyny, be it overt or subconscious...much more so that other genres such as Soul or Folk.

Female "Rock" bands have not been taken very seriously in the past "...oh they're just girls " but that's thankfully changing .

Whether this will result in Girl Bands saving Rock N Roll is another question ...

..but it probably does need saving and greater artist diversity can only be a good thing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-01-23 11:54 by Spud.

Date: January 23, 2023 12:40

Girls with Guitars [Samantha Fish - Cassie Taylor - Dani Wilde], with a song y'all might know! winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-01-23 14:34 by Congratulations.

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: January 23, 2023 15:55

I’ve been called much worse things than oaf.

Posted by: Valeswood ()
Date: January 23, 2023 16:34

Congratulations
Any Slade fans on here?

Saw them before Christmas and they were great!

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: January 23, 2023 16:44

Congratulations
Girls with Guitars [Samantha Fish - Cassie Taylor - Dani Wilde], with a song y'all might know! winking smiley

Samantha Fish with long hair, damn.... Speaking of her and her band, they are another one the Ghost Hounds should be opening for, not the Stones.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1308
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home